Madonna Greatest Hits: Hopefully Out By Fall

I hope she bumps her head and (when she comes to) calls Steve Bray. As she slowly regains her memory, she can send the track off to Shep Pettibone for a final polish.

:lol:

in what era do u live?

I'm in the now... though a little creative amnesia might be a nice change of pace for Madonna. Get Jellybean on the 12" mix, bring in Mary Lambert for the video, exhume Herb Ritts to shoot the sleeve and have the Heiden's whip up the artwork.

I'm in the now... though a little creative amnesia might be a nice change of pace for Madonna. Get Jellybean on the 12" mix, bring in Mary Lambert for the video, exhume Herb Ritts to shoot the sleeve and have the Heiden's whip up the artwork.

:p If I Could Turn Back Time

Here

..''Some American fans have been sceptical about the release of the star's third major compilation album, claiming that she hasn't had enough US top ten hits in recent years to justify another compilation.''

How about the fact she has to release a compilation due to her contract and who are the 'American fans' they is talking about? :dramatic:

Here

..''Some American fans have been sceptical about the release of the star's third major compilation album, claiming that she hasn't had enough US top ten hits in recent years to justify another compilation.''

How about the fact she has to release a compilation due to her contract and who are the 'American fans' they is talking about? :dramatic:

That's rich coming from a UK tabloid.

Guest dicktracy

Realistically speaking, she only had 3 hits in the US since 2002. They are:

"Die Another Day"

"Hung Up"

"4 Minutes"

So I can see how American fans would think of a GHV3 as ridiculous. However, for the rest of the world she's got more hits. If you look at these stats you'll see that of all her singles released since the Music album, only 3 can really be considered flops*:

"American Life"

1 in Canada & Japan

2 in the UK and Europe

7 in Australia

2,900,000 copies sold worldwide

"Hollywood"

2 in the UK & Canada

3 in Europe

16 in Australia

2,800,000 copies sold worldwide

"Nothing Fails"*

7 in Canada

400,000 copies sold worldwide

"Love Profusion"*

5 in Canada

11 in the UK

200,000 copies sold worldwide

"Sorry"

1 in the UK, Europe & Japan

4 in Australia

5,180,000 copies sold worldwide

"Get Together"

7 in the UK & Europe

4 in Canada

13 in Australia

2,600,000 copies sold worldwide

"Jump"

9 in the UK

8 in Europe

7 in Canada

2,700,000 copies sold worldwide

"Give It 2 Me"

2 in Europe

7 in the UK

8 in Canada

13 in Australia

18 in Japan

2,500,000 copies sold worldwide

"Miles Away"*

5 in Japan — ???

Plus:

"Me Against the Music" (Britney Spears featuring Madonna)

1 in Europe, Japan & Australia

2 in the UK & Canada

5,300,000 copies sold worldwide

As you can see, all but three of her singles were not a Top 10 hit in the European Chart (a total of ten Top 10 hits) and, out of these ten, only two did not make it to Top 5.

In addition, only about a fifth of all the copies sold of GHV2, COADF and HC were sold in the US. In the case of AL, only 16% were sold in America.

So it seems to make sense that the majority of American fans would be skeptical of such a release.

Guest Danny86

"American Life"

2,900,000 copies sold worldwide

"Hollywood"

2,800,000 copies sold worldwide

"Nothing Fails"*

400,000 copies sold worldwide

"Love Profusion"*

200,000 copies sold worldwide

"Sorry"

5,180,000 copies sold worldwide

"Get Together"

2,600,000 copies sold worldwide

"Jump"

2,700,000 copies sold worldwide

These sales are ridiculously overestimated. "Sorry" would be her second best selling hit ever if that number was correct, but it sold below 200k in the UK. A lot of those singles didn't even have a worldwide release (i.e. no "Jump" in France). I even doubt that "American Life" sold a million worldwide...

I find it really funny that American fans only (generally) see things as hits if it was in their chart. As mentioned above only a few could be considered flops (Nothing Fails,Love Profusion & Miles Away) , everything else charted well :) so GHV3 isnt that stupid and IMO a retrospective will be disappointing, at least with a GHV3 you know whats gonna be on it. lolz

Guest ursaminorjim

Well, given that her legacy at WB has been traeted pretty shoddily (thoser remasters? ugh!) and that she's still a large draw on the road, I think a proper career retrospective is the only thing that really makes sense.

I think the only thing we'll all be able to agree on is that somebody will inevitably be disappointed. :lol:

Seriously- those sales figures are from someone's fantasty world. dick, did you lift them from some forum or come up with them on your own? :)

If we lump digital and physical sales, "Sorry" has sold around 330,000 in the USA- would love to see where the remaining 4.77 million comes from. :p

Other USA-only sales:

American Life: 98,000 (digital tally is tiny)

Hollywood: 49,000 (digital tally is tiny)

Nothing Fails: 32,000 (digital tally is tiny)

Love Profusion: 27,000 (sigital tally is tiny)

Estimates for USA Digital and Physical Sales (the last digital tallies I had were from November)

Get Together: 115,000

Jump: 145,000

Give it 2 Me:

Also, remember that a No. 1 Canadian peak, from the early 2000's until before Billboard started the Canadian Hot 100 didn't mean much, as like the USA, not all hits were released as physical singles, so the Canadian sales chart wasn't much better than Hot 100 Singles Sales. Plus, sales in Canda wouldn't amount to a whole lot, anyhow.

Important thing is that even outside the USA, the 2002-2008 period produced her least popular run of singles, going by sales, time on the charts, etc.

I find it really funny that American fans only (generally) see things as hits if it was in their chart. As mentioned above only a few could be considered flops (Nothing Fails,Love Profusion & Miles Away) , everything else charted well :) so GHV3 isnt that stupid and IMO a retrospective will be disappointing, at least with a GHV3 you know whats gonna be on it. lolz

You have an unusual sense of humor then. As a U.S. citizen I think it's pretty cool when she has hit singles in the U.S., especially considering it is still the biggest market in the world. You can't conquer the music world without conquering the U.S. Otherwise you'd just be Kylie Minogue or something, which is fine I guess. I frankly couldn't care all that much if she hits it big in Latvia. That doesn't make me an ignorant American. It just means I don't give a shit.

Guest dicktracy
Seriously- those sales figures are from someone's fantasty world. dick, did you lift them from some forum or come up with them on your own? :)

If we lump digital and physical sales, "Sorry" has sold around 330,000 in the USA- would love to see where the remaining 4.77 million comes from. :p

Other USA-only sales:

American Life: 98,000 (digital tally is tiny)

Hollywood: 49,000 (digital tally is tiny)

Nothing Fails: 32,000 (digital tally is tiny)

Love Profusion: 27,000 (sigital tally is tiny)

Estimates for USA Digital and Physical Sales (the last digital tallies I had were from November)

Get Together: 115,000

Jump: 145,000

Give it 2 Me:

Also, remember that a No. 1 Canadian peak, from the early 2000's until before Billboard started the Canadian Hot 100 didn't mean much, as like the USA, not all hits were released as physical singles, so the Canadian sales chart wasn't much better than Hot 100 Singles Sales. Plus, sales in Canda wouldn't amount to a whole lot, anyhow.

Important thing is that even outside the USA, the 2002-2008 period produced her least popular run of singles, going by sales, time on the charts, etc.

HGuy, I found it on Wikipedia, not the best source of info but the most readily available. I understand that her sales may not have been as high as Wikipedia states but she did manage to have Top 10s all over the world. Unfortunately, I don't have any other way to measure a song's success in places I don't live other than charts. And from what I read on this forum, many European fans can attest that she has had quite a few hits more than in the US.

I just wanted to point out that the fact that she hasn't had a lot of hits in the US shouldn't dictate whether a GHV3 would be viable worldwide. As far as I'm concerned I'd welcome a compilation either way. All I have stated is that given all that I've learned about M, she's not the kind that keeps digging up the past. At least not her own.... but when it comes to 'inspiration' from other people's works, especially visual work, she definitely has gone back many many times.

if she really wants to push it it might get to 700,000?

Not just the fanbase. If one of the new songs get a video and is sent to radio, it's gonna get all the attention and people will only get that on iTunes. I don't see how a compilation album can be treated as an event in 2009 where anybody can pick their favourite greatest hits of Madonna on iTunes.

Judging by the sales of recent female greatest hits albums, Madonna's will be lucky to reach 500,000, right?

Guest ursaminorjim
Right, yeah, Ursa. Absolutely. But since this is a greatest hits discussion I think it's pretty relevent.

A very best of Madonna would be a different discussion.

Yeah, I suppose. But if there were to be a US version of her greatest hits since GHV2...it'd be a CD single. I think the term "hits" is purely semantic in this case. :lol:

Yeah, I suppose. But if there were to be a US version of her greatest hits since GHV2...it'd be a CD single. I think the term "hits" is purely semantic in this case. :lol:

Pretty much. Just do a six minute melody mix of DAD, AL (since it did manage to crawl into the top 40), HU and 4M. They can tack it onto the end of the Madonna 1983-2008 boxset as a bonus, and name the track "GHV3." Just so there are no hard feelings, Price, Oakenfold...or, hell, even the PSB have my blessing to come in and mash them together.

It might be a two disk affair like Whitney's and George Michael's.

One disc of uptempo tracks and one disc of downtempo. Her uptempo singles outnumber her ballads but they might be able to put songs like True Blue and Cherish on the ballad disc due to their loved-up sentiment. La Isla could make it on there too with it's yearning vibe.

This way they can fill up two discs easily and still leave a market for studio albums which people will need for the missing singles.

How about:

Disc One

Holiday

Like A Virgin

Material Girl

Into the Groove

Papa Don't Preach

Open Your Heart

Who's That Girl

LAP

Express Yourself

Vogue

Erotica

Deeper and Deeper

Ray of Light

Beautiful Stranger

Music

Don't Tell Me

DAD

Hollywood

Hung UP

4 Minutes

Disc Two

Crazy For You

Live to Tell

True Blue

La Isla Bonita

Cherish

Justify My Love

TUTBMP

Bad Girl

Rain

Secret

TAB

You'll See

You Must Love Me

Frozen

Power of Goodbye

Miles Away

The Hot 100 is pure shit. It's no longer 50/50 radio/sales anymore so to say that the US (Hot 100 that is) is hugely more important than any Euro chart is a joke. More people live in Europe than US, the only US chart thats worth mention is the Top 200 albums. Singles mean little any more than album promo. :thumbsdown:

Kylie will be more remembered in Europe (more UK lol) than MooMoo will :lmao:

All Greatest Hits are based on US hits if you are an American artist. And even if some of you Euro gays wish Madonna was British, she is American. America made Madonna famous. America made Madonna rich.

All Greatest Hits are based on US hits if you are an American artist. And even if some of you Euro gays wish Madonna was British, she is American. America made Madonna famous. America made Madonna rich.

Maybe so but I'm not a euro :p I'm in NZ mate! lolz I jst want a GH that isnt based on a country that thinks Mariah deserves a number 1 hit every time she squeals.

I dun understand why so many fans into boxset.

If she releases a 4 disc boxset filled with all her major hits, her fans reaction would be:

- Too many edit version, not worth to get it (4 disc would not be able to accomodate all her hits in original version)

- I got all the album therefore I'll pass

- Too expensive

- Certain songs not included therefore I boycott this boxset ***

If she releases a gigantic boxset that includes each and every of her hits, her fans reaction would be:

- Since I've got all her album, what's the point? (the point is not to upset fans that felt certain tracks didn't make it to the compilation, see ***)

- Too expensive

Personally I think she should release a 1 disc GH with hits from 2001-2008 for normal consumers. The concept of releasing a boxset sounds cool but MAY only attract certain group of diehard fans to buy but not all fans due to its pricetag, and since they had already had the album, it's pointless to get the GH for the sake of the box. Even with new tracks, fans will normally download it either legally or illegally 'cos they had already had all the songs so no point buying, or simply dun wanna pay that price (or any other excuses to avoid the pricetag subject e.g. design sucks, bad photo etc) for just 2 new songs.

Some of the fans didn't even own HC/COADF/AL deluxe boxset, what makes one think that they will buy this 4 disc (or even more) GH boxset? At the end of the day, it will be another Madonna flop.

I dun understand why so many fans into boxset.

If she releases a 4 disc boxset filled with all her hits, her fans reaction would be:

- Too many edit version, not worth to get it (4 disc would not be able to accomodate all her hits in original version)

- I got all the album therefore I'll pass

- Too expensive

- Certain songs not included therefore I boycott this boxset ***

If she releases a gigantic boxset that includes each and every of her hits, her fans reaction would be:

- Since I've got all her album, what's the point? (the point is not to upset fans that felt certain tracks didn't make it to the compilation, see ***)

- Too expensive

Personally I think she should release a 1 disc GH with hits from 2001-2008 for normal consumers. The concept of releasing a boxset sounds cool but MAY only attract certain group of diehard fans to buy but not all fans due to its pricetag, and since they had already had the album, it's pointless to get the GH for the sake of the box. Even with new tracks, fans will normally download it either legally or illegally 'cos they had already had all the songs so no point buying, or simply dun wanna pay that price (or any other excuses to avoid the pricetag subject e.g. design sucks, bad photo etc) for just 2 new songs.

Some of the fans didn't even own HC/COADF/AL deluxe boxset, what makes one think that they will buy this 4 disc (or even more) GH boxset? At the end of the day, it will be another Madonna flop.

Excellent! I agree 100% :)