Madonna Greatest Hits: Hopefully Out By Fall

Totally agree. From a purely technical standpoint, it's one of the most gorgeously crafted songs in her canon - it's almost Bachrachian in its scope and the way it has these subtly radical shifts going on, but never at the expense of the bittersweet tension that holds it together. But it's also one of her most purely heartfelt love songs, period. One of her finest preformances, made all the more bewitching by Babyface's intertwining vocal lines. It's a cold song that feels like a warm bath after a long week. It's like a beautiful piece of antique Italian lace that's been woven from dissolving sutures.

It's a must.

I completely agree - I've always felt that Bedtime Stories was an underrated gem in madonna's cannon.. it's arguably the most beautifully produced pop record she has, and songs like 'take a bow' positively shimmer.

Guest Danny86
danny, "Secret" peaked at No. 5 in the UK and didn't exactly nosedive, so I wouldn't say that's "quite poorly."

As I said, there are more than 40 Madonna singles in the UK that sold more than "Secret", which was a lead-off single so I'd consider that a poor chart performance. From a UK viewpoint, no songs from Bedtime Stories should be on a greatest hits album.

Since this is the last thing WB will release with Madonna's involvement, I don't see why they don't just go all out and do a comprehsive collection that includes every top forty Hot 100 hit she ever had. If it has to be streteched into a multi-disc boxset, then so be it. I'd hate to see another hits collection released where real hits are again omitted. One of the many reasons I can't listen to TIC is because I find the exclusion of certain songs to be bogus. I also have no interest in remixes/reworkings either. I just want the version that was popular at the time. If it was a situation like "Borderline," "Express Yourself" and/or "Rain" where the single remix was the radio hit, then fine...but I hope she doesn't get all Madonna-y and decide to have someone tinker with what wasn't broken. Spare me a Price/Oakenfold reworking of "Like a Prayer." Not interested. But my main point here is that I think they, this time, should make an effort to include all of her hits, instead of selecting a tracklisting based on which they think still hold up better than others.

I agree.They should just give us the long-awaited,multi-disc box set.EVERY single should be included! That's the only way to satisfy everybody.And like you say,no remixes or re-workings! They could do an amazing 3 or 4-CD box set,with a nice book/liner notes/essays/and rare photos.This would sell well,especially going into the Christmas shopping season.

Totally agree. From a purely technical standpoint, it's one of the most gorgeously crafted songs in her canon - it's almost Bachrachian in its scope and the way it has these subtly radical shifts going on, but never at the expense of the bittersweet tension that holds it together. But it's also one of her most purely heartfelt love songs, period. One of her finest preformances, made all the more bewitching by Babyface's intertwining vocal lines. It's a cold song that feels like a warm bath after a long week. It's like a beautiful piece of antique Italian lace that's been woven from dissolving sutures.

It's a must.

Yeah,"Take A Bow" is one of Madonna's most impressive ballads.It would be insane not to include it.

But, danny, we know how Madonna operates- from any standpoint, BS or HN shouldn't be on any GH album- yet they appeared on GHV2. :) (which I have no problem with, cause even though it's "greatest hits," it shows that chart peaks alone don't the process- i.e. TIC missing a #1 and a #2.

I prefer the demo of TAB without Babyface's vocals. I think it is superior but out of all the BS tracks, I would not be bothered if it got missed off. I prefer Love Tried to Welcome Me and Inside of Me of that album.

I really hope they do go all out with a massive retrospective even if it were a limited edition but I really am expecting a half-arsed hits compilation with the bare minimum staples.

Can we get Guy to confirm anything? Like if we actually have a say or if this just some lame attempt to get some hype. If the track listing is decided, why are we bothering!

PS: I love Oakenfold's remixes of GI2M and Hollywood so I am looking forward to a collaboration.

Guest ursaminorjim

So disheartening to hear she's working with Oakenfold.

Seriously, why? He's so entirely beyond relevant at this point. Hasn't done anything of any worth in the last decade and a half!

I mean, who knows - there might be some freak occurrence where he comes up with the goods for once.

But I doubt it. Still, we'll just have to wait and see. Fingers crossed.

Well, I don't know what Pat Leonard has done lately, but I have no doubt a new M-PL collaboration would be very satisfying. :) (just using that as an example of how one's current or not revelancy may not matter).

Secret should definitely be on the GH. Personally, it's not one of my all time favorite songs by her as I'm not that into Bedtime Stories. But I know several casual fans of Madonna and they love it. It is a song that casual fans definitely remember and would be looking for on a GH album.

Guest ursaminorjim
Well, I don't know what Pat Leonard has done lately, but I have no doubt a new M-PL collaboration would be very satisfying. :) (just using that as an example of how one's current or not revelancy may not matter).

Absolutely true. But when you compare Pat Leonard's output with Paul Oakenfold's...well, there's no comparison! One co-wrote "Live to tell" and "Like a prayer." The other? "Starry-eyed surprise" and "Faster kill pussycat."

'Nuff said.

He wrote songs for the "greek" madonna, anna vissi.I have doubts that a new collaboration with madonna would be succesfull

i'm hoping 'secret' 'don't tell me' 'what it feels like for a girl' and 'drowned world/substitute for love' are included. although m has some killer bubble gum pop moments, alot of casual fans forget that she has had some quite sophisticated pop songs too. in the age of illegal downloading i think it only fair that the cd comes complete with some amazing new artwork. it has to rival the immaculate collection for me to be impressed. that said, i'd be happy for it be based around the 'sticky and sweet' tourbook photos, which i'm in love with..and a free dvd of tour vids including 'paradise' too hehehe

sotos, sometimes a collaborator doesnt see the same results when workin with someone else. Look at most of what Madge and Pat have come up with- I have hopes.

I see your point, ursa, definitely- just keeping an open mind. :) ANd, I don't think it's been confirmed anywhere that Oakenfold will be the collaborator for each new track (or even one).

Please let Oakenfold be nothing more than a rumour. I'm not against a remixed (new and / or classics) collection in principle, just not him, Tracey Young, Thunderpuss, Calderone, Rauhofer or any of the other usual suspects bar Stuart Price.

Warner's are in a tough position with this GH. I imagine they want their, now finite, Madonna catalogue to have a long shelf life so I can't see them releasing the definitive, unadulterated, career spanning, collection (not any time soon anyway). However, they do need a product that will sell to both the mass market and the fan market, striking that balance in one product is tough.

There was talk last year of a number ones album but this misses out some of her biggest hits. Unfortunately, that's how I imagine her Warner releases will pan out in the future, themed and re-jigged; we'll be drip fed and milked at the same time.

In a perfect world I like to see various versions; a double CD edited highlights for the mass market (the market they really want to sell to); a fully comprehensive singles retrospective (on however many CD's that takes) for those that want all the singles but aren't necessarily crazy loons; a collector's edition with the singles collection and a rarities bonus disk; an obscenely priced super limited edition with something properly rare along the lines of the X-static Process book and the Erotic CD.

I want a long, considered essay about how fabulous, misunderstood and important M has been and a write up on each track by its collaborator and / or M (revealing the song process and unknown facts please). The pictures included should be the original track artwork or unseen images from the video.

The design should be simple, unified and considered; each version beautiful as an individual piece but when presented together they reveal something hidden (like a lyric, picture or logo). I can't decide if a new photoshoot is necessary or whether it it would date it too much.

In addition to the regular digital release, there should be a special edition where you receive something physical in the mail (like a USB stick and booklet).

Don't get me started on the video release.

Guest dicktracy

I don't see a problem with a single disc with mostly recent material. Madonna has always been about moving forward. I still am surprised that she had a 'greatest hits' tour (I guess it was to counteract the whole American Life response... and it wasn't really a GH in my opinion). So, having a career-spanning GH at this time will only highlight how her newer songs are weaker than her earlier material (my opinion and the opinion of a lot of people). In addition, Madonna has stayed relevant because she's been able to attract younger fans with her many eras. HC may not have pleased many older fans but it has garnered her a new breed of fans (and, yeah, they would want to buy her older stuff and that's why we have TIC and GHV2). I'm not being ageist when I say that tweens and teens may not be as interested in buying a CD with songs that came out 12 years before they were born. When they get older they'll realize that that's silly. I remember being a teen and I would have never considered buying something that came out in the 70's because I thought it was ancient. I love that stuff now but not until I was in college.

This new GH should be more like a "The Best of 2002 to 2009" of sorts since Greatest Hits would stretch the meaning of a hit song, I wouldn't mind if it had stuff from the 'Music' album and on. It could even start from ROL and on, in my opinion (some people consider this the time when the NEW Madonna was invented). But maybe with some NEW remixes (not necessarily club mixes... more like Love Profusion's Headcleaner Mix) it would spark the interest of the fans that want something more than 2 new tracks. I think career-spanning Greatest Hits are only appropriate when your career is OVER. Madonna's is not. She doesn't need one yet.

No. Since day one this has been regarded as her final Warner Bros. release, intended to represent her recording career while on the label. That she's capping it off with new tracks pushes things forward, but this is going to rightfully reach way back to the Sire and Maverick recordings (all Warner Bros. subsidiaries.)

"Crazy For You" and "Gambler" on Geffen (not under the Warner umbrella) are the only off-label single release of her career thus far which makes a compilation of this magnitude, legally, a snap to compile. These have previously been licensed many times for Warner releases.

No. Since day one this has been regarded as her final Warner Bros. release, intended to represent her recording career while on the label. That she's capping it off with new tracks pushes things forward, but this is going to rightfully reach way back to the Sire and Maverick recordings (all Warner Bros. subsidiaries.)

"Crazy For You" and "Gambler" on Geffen (not under the Warner umbrella) are the only off-label single release of her career thus far which makes a compilation of this magnitude, legally, a snap to compile. These have previously been licensed many times for Warner releases.

Well, maybe not exactly "day one" -- probably only since she and Warner Bros. announced their business relationship was dissolving. A decade ago, or whenever exactly this contract went into effect, it may not have been envisioned as her FINAL release with them (period), but the last release under that old contract. I would imagine that both parties were optimistic, when negotiating the contract that is about to be completed, that she would continue on with WB by renewing again (assuming, of course, that career was going successfully and profitably, etc.). At that time, they may have envisioned it as a GHV3. But once it became clear that Madonna was leaving for Live Nation, the scope of the project probably changed to be more like you're saying.

I could be wrong, of course. I'm just saying, I would think WB didn't necessarily know at the time that they were entering into their final contract with her and would therefore want to make an all-expansive, career-encompassing compilation.

Guest Danny86

^I think it was meant to be a remix album. Remember for a short while, American Life Remixes or something like that appeared on Warner lists. A "compilation" can be something like You Can Dance as well, it doesn't have to be "Greatest Hits".

The contract went into effect with Music, right? Knowing Madonna's feelings towards GHV2, she surely didn't envision 2 greatest hits albums within 10 years.

Guest Pud Whacker

I had this in mattress thread:

mattress, it seems as though you would know this. ive always wondered who 'owned the rights' to madonnas early recordings. like if sire swooped in and bought some? anyway, for the compilation, ive always wanted early recordings to start it off. get up, bells ringing, garage burning up, laugh to keep from crying...mixing those in with her early club hits, then early radio hits. along the way juxtapose some demos into mid career hits down to today. im thinking more of a madonna retrospective. it seems a high percentage of her fan base and public is not in tune with her roots, which, imo - is INSTRUMENTAL in her legendary 25 years at the top. i also would like to see an accompanying book with pictures/work from the estate of warhol, basquiat, haring - again scouring through her influence and collaborations with the great people along the way.

maybe im way off here with what you started but that is what i would like to see. :thumbsup:

i still think it should be like that. lead up to the first album with rarities of her roots (that she spoke of during the hall of fame) then pelt everyone with the MILLIONS OF HITS that only elvis can match, throw in a few of her lesser known cooler tracks to break the idiots in and then finish off with the new tracks. let everyone have it. :thumbsup: