Madonna Greatest Hits: Hopefully Out By Fall

will a GH ever be released?...

Actually I really missed Madonna making songs for a soundtrack...like, the old hits, I'll Remember, This used to be my playground and etc..she's quite brilliant at that..I hope the New moon rumors are true...

will a GH ever be released?...

Actually I really missed Madonna making songs for a soundtrack...like, the old hits, I'll Remember, This used to be my playground and etc..she's quite brilliant at that..I hope the New moon rumors are true...

As long as she's not in it, she can sing her little heart out. :thumbsup:

Guest jamesshot
What is the point in making it "for the fans." The fans already have all these songs apart from the new ones.

I think that would be a dumb thing to do, they should include her biggest hits and not filler like Drowned World and Get Together. Those songs were not hits and don't belong on a Greatest Hits. This Used To Be My Playground for example, does.

Thank you. I can't believe anyone would want non-hits on a friggin' Greatest Hits CD.

Ohhh the division begins between the commercial fans who only care that a song was a hit and the underground fans who only care if the song sounded different. :demonic:

Was Revolver a hoax? That just disapeared right off the rumor radar.

Can someone tell me which songs are hits? Cos What was a hit in the US, wasn't in the UK (eg TAB and Borderline) and Vice versa (Hollywood, Nothing Really Matters).

Ohhh the division begins between the commercial fans who only care that a song was a hit and the underground fans who only care if the song sounded different. :demonic:

Underground? She's at the top of the mainstream. :lmao:

Guest bluejean

Exactly goldtooth.

I love songs like Drowned World, Get Together and Oh Father more than some of her biggest hits. It's not about what I love. It's a career retrospective and should reflect her career of HITS. It's that simple. The thought of another GHV2 and songs the casual buyer has never heard of makes my stomach churn. This GH could define how she is remembered, same as TIC did.

Guest ursaminorjim

I think it would be amazing to have a collection that truly represented the best of Madonna's work, including singles, remixes, album tracks, even unreleased stuff. But that's nearly impossible to do. It's too subjective, even if it were a list created by Madonna herself.

The only guarantee about this collection is that no-one will be satisfied with it. :lol: And that's fine. If anything, it's a testament to the breadth of her work.

I mean, after all - this is a woman whose work has scaled the heights of "What it feels like for a girl" and then plumbed the depths with "Beautiful stranger" within the space of a year. ;)

anyone getting the feeling that this project might be on hold till next year??

It's not like we had any "official" news anyway.

At this point we should have:

A confirmed title

release date

confirmed new track titles

Whether this is a career retrospective or just another greatest hits collection

we already got the new track titles, officially confirmed or not

and it was pretty obvious that it would get a fall release

yes, a couple of months before the release it's not unreasonable to be still firming up plans. There was some twitter news too about the remixing side and general overview of the htis. However, the MJ news will have meant many people have surpressed their PR for a while as it will just get buried until the fuss dies down. I would be surprised if it were late July or August when we start to hear more information.

Exactly goldtooth.

I love songs like Drowned World, Get Together and Oh Father more than some of her biggest hits. It's not about what I love. It's a career retrospective and should reflect her career of HITS. It's that simple. The thought of another GHV2 and songs the casual buyer has never heard of makes my stomach churn. This GH could define how she is remembered, same as TIC did.

I have to agree with what you said here and the previous post you made. At this point, I cannot see any GREATEST HIT package that will appeal to Fans who have all her albums, singles and compilations unless new track are added. So, I agree the GH should be about reaching further than just the fan base. It should reach to all those casual or non-fans who enjoyed a number of her hits. None of these people want songs like "Oh Father", "Drowned World" and "Bedtime Story", etc. These are songs that most won't recognize or care to listen to.

And in the age where we all can make our own "GREATEST HITS" compilations, I can't see even a hits collection going to sell well unless it includes new tracks and/or alternate versions yet released to the public.

Personally, I rather this time around to have a 2 or 3 disk set... maybe with a DVD, that includes her biggest hits, maybe some rare outtakes, and the new songs. But again, a set like this will be too expensive for casual and non-fans, so maybe an alternate 1 disc set of only her biggest hits should be released with the new tracks.

Well I read today that madonna is in talks to do x factor in uk. It runs September to December so this supports autumn hits collection.

Also in the uk sun newspaper on Saturday she gave an interview about michael Jackson, her tour and still seeing London as home. The article said her next thing was a greatest hits at end of the year with 2 new songs.

As for the greatest hits - I'm a fan and would buy anything. BUT I'd imagine she's going to try and appeal more to casual fans and those who own no or few madonna cd's. I reckon it'll be 2 cd's of the biggest hits. Hopefully with DVD collection of videos released at same time.

I also think it'll be called holiday-celebrate 1983-2009

I prefer an official confirmation though.

How is it obvious, that it will be a fall release? Knowing WB, they could push it back to the spring. And who says any of these track titles will ever see the light of day?

I prefer an official confirmation though.

How is it obvious, that it will be a fall release? Knowing WB, they could push it back to the spring. And who says any of these track titles will ever see the light of day?

It may not be obvious, but Liz Rosenberg did say in ICON that the forthcoming GH would get a fall release. (Madonna bungled her grammar in her letter and made it sound like the GH was coming in spring, but that was an error -- spring was almost completely over by the time ICON came out anyway.) Liz was (hopefully) correct in saying it would have a fall release.

But November (around Thanksgiving, when Christmas sales begin) is still technically fall... so we could be waiting until then for it to be released.

It kinda makes sense... Obviously, if most of the S&ST was broadcast on Sky1 over the weekend, most of the DVD is ready to go. (I'm still downloading, so I don't know what they left off the broadcast, but it can't be that much left to go at this point...) So the S&ST DVD in September, with GH in November, sounds like a plausible timeline.

We just have to be patient, unfortunately.