Madonna Greatest Hits: Hopefully Out By Fall

Now I wouldn't normally say this, but that's too many! That'll steal slots from her more deserving classic hits. Unlikely she'll have 3 truly great new tracks that can stand alongside the old stuff. Use one as a b-side.

Oh and doesn't that Examiner site usually post bullshit?

theres a rumor the 1st single will have a b-side

Pearl Jam could see decent numbers on 9/22- and then there's Beastie Boys the prior week- is that a new studio album?

Key is for the album to sell decently over time, in this challenging iTunes era.

I believe the Beastie Boys release is new material. I think I read something about it in an article a while back.

Title sounds good... It kinda makes me think of grandiose MJ though -- HIStory or whatever that was. (Was that a good GH? I don't even know...) Yeah. I just hope the selected material lives up to the title. And that the image is properly, erm. iconic. (That's a tall order... without going into self-delusional pomposity -- you know, like the aforementione MJ.)

And LOL @ "horny horns" and "Vibeology." I actually like that song in a kitschy sort of way. It's amusing to me. (Not that I think it's great great music or anything... Just mildly funny. A friend gave me the CD of that album about eight or nine years ago -- she didn't want it anymore and she knew I "liked" that song. Haha!)

So, let's just say for kicks and giggles the release date is September 22. If so, when can we expect to be hearing this first single? (And, to be honest, does it really matter whether the GH charts well out of the gate? I mean, it's not all new material, and people will probably be able to just download the single without paying for a whole album... So... can we really expect a #1? I assume that's why we're sizing up the competition -- that's the only reason I'm asking...)

No expectations for a No. 1 album (in the USA, anyhow).

We don't even know if WB initially will withhold any new track from iTunes, in order to boost the GH sales. If WB goes all out with packaging, content, etc. it won't have to worry about that, though.

^ I thought as much... Like you said, "the key is for the album to sell decently over time..." I think that's the best we can really hope for (in the U.S.).

So ... we're a week away from July. Will we be hearing a new single next month? Or not until August? (If the release date is September, I can't believe that we'd have to wait another two months to hear the new track. A September single release would be too late, wouldn't it?)

Judging from Madonna's past lead singles, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see it released to radio or iTunes until mid-August. However, that rumor from Warner Spain indicated mid-July (although that would be out of character for her). I'm still curious if there will be a video. She won't really have time to film a good one (and I use the term loosely) unless she does it before the tour kick off next week.

I don't think Whitney Houston will pose much of a threat in the UK as she has done nothing for about ten years. She will have to come back with a stunning single to generate interest. Also, Mariah Carey's new single hasn't made it to Radio One yet which isn't a good sign and I don't think she has a fanbase here anything like Madonna's.

It could sell well with the build up to Christmas but it does depend on the tracklist and if it has a lot of her early stuff. At least there are new tracks. GHV2 got very little in the way of promotion here and the megamixes weren't played.

It will be all about the promotion and whether she can be bothered to appear on TV shows to let the broader audience know.

Guest Danny86
September 22nd sounds great! She can rest for a couple of weeks after the tour, enjoy Mercy and the start the heavy promo!

Yeah, like with HC.

After the tour, she's likely to stay a couple of more weeks in Israel, then she's gonna rest. And then she's gonna start writing that movie. Other than a video, we really shouldn't get our hopes high for the GH promo.

Yeah, like with HC.

After the tour, she's likely to stay a couple of more weeks in Israel, then she's gonna rest. And then she's gonna start writing that movie. Other than a video, we really shouldn't get our hopes high for the GH promo.

I was kidding. :confused: I'm a bit confident though. Madonna herself let Hard Candy die. She didn't even want a third single. I was just thinking that maybe she did that because she knew something huge would come next year. Plus, the lead single is not gonna be a duet so it's easier to go to shows, travel to many markets around the world. I don't know guys... We'll see.

Guest Danny86
I was kidding. :confused: I'm a bit confident though. Madonna herself let Hard Candy die. She didn't even want a third single. I was just thinking that maybe she did that because she knew something huge would come next year. Plus, the lead single is not gonna be a duet so it's easier to go to shows, travel to many markets around the world. I don't know guys... We'll see.

Madonna let HC "die" because the tour was the best channel to expose it. The "huge" thing came with the tour, she's #1 on that Forbes list which actually talks about how irrelevant album sales are.

But where are you getting that she didn't want a third single? She mentioned in a radio interview before HC came out that "Miles Away is probably going to be a single as well", it's one of her favorites and the release itself was similar to "Nothing Fails" where she wanted it as a single but Warner pushed "LP" instead.

The GH single *might* be a "featuring Lil Wayne", and Madonna never actually promoted standalone singles (think "Die Another Day" etc) with performances, can't see that changing for the last ever Warner project...

Madonna let HC "die" because the tour was the best channel to expose it. The "huge" thing came with the tour, she's #1 on that Forbes list which actually talks about how irrelevant album sales are.

But where are you getting that she didn't want a third single? She mentioned in a radio interview before HC came out that "Miles Away is probably going to be a single as well", it's one of her favorites and the release itself was similar to "Nothing Fails" where she wanted it as a single but Warner pushed "LP" instead.

The GH single *might* be a "featuring Lil Wayne", and Madonna never actually promoted standalone singles (think "Die Another Day" etc) with performances, can't see that changing for the last ever Warner project...

You are correct. Now that I'm reading again my message, my whole point was wrong. I just meant that it felt like she let the album die just because she didn't follow the traditional way to promote it. It felt like that just because the fans are used to the traditional way but we are wrong. It was just a new approach. She focused immediately on the tour which is, of course, one of the greatest ways to promote the album.

Guest bluejean

The timing alone (straight after the tour) indicates very minimal effort is likely.

I wouldn't be surprised if recording the new songs is the extent of "promoting" for her. It's actually a stretch beyond what most of us were expecting after GHV2.

Hopefully a video is done before the tour starts. If not, they may throw together a montage. As lame as that would be, I think for the general public it would be appropriate promotion.

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting the impression as this project unfolds that they (Warner and Madonna) may actually put out a good, well packaged compilation with appropriate track listing?

Madonna doing promotion for the 1st single though, well that's abit far fetched.

Guest bluejean
She didn't even want a third single. I was just thinking that maybe she did that because she knew something huge would come next year.

The 2nd single didn't do that well, that's the real reason. It seems Madonna is taking this GH rather seriously, but I doubt she cares about it anywhere close to as much as a new album or tour.

What movie? :americanlife:

The "top secret" movie. I posted her recent interview about it here:

http://forums.madonnanation.com/index.php?showtopic=26734

I forgot that the casting would start in the Fall already... That should answer any speculation about promo for GH.

Promotion for the album wouldn't take up too much time although just finishing a tour might be more reason why she doesn't do much promotion. However, she does seem much more committed to this GH launch. I think she was punishing Warners last time for not releasing what she wanted for Music.

I'm shocked this hasn't been posted yet. It's a cool title.

----------

From Perez Hilton.com:

Lots of Queen of Pop info!!!!

Turns out that Madonna's final album with Warner Brothers is going to be called… Iconography.

We love it!

She's the ultimate icon, and it's an in-the-know thank you to her hardcore fans, like us.

The album is looking at a mid-September release.

The greatest hits collection will include three new tracks.

The big question is how her album will hold up against Whitney Houston's Undefeated and Mariah Carey's Memoirs of An Imperfect Angel, both of which are slated for September releases as well.

Battle of the divas!