Madonna Greatest Hits: Hopefully Out By Fall

I think the GH will do a lot better than some people expect. Madonna's back catalog is seriously lacking in the greatest hits department and she is not featured on any of the 80's compilations that are so big at the moment. There are a lot of 30 something non fans that I know who will buy this greatest hits. If it's anything like ABBA Gold it could end up selling really well especially now when album sales are shrinking, it's the kind of CD people will want to buy.

I think the GH will do a lot better than some people expect. Madonna's back catalog is seriously lacking in the greatest hits department and she is not featured on any of the 80's compilations that are so big at the moment. There are a lot of 30 something non fans that I know who will buy this greatest hits. If it's anything like ABBA Gold it could end up selling really well especially now when album sales are shrinking, it's the kind of CD people will want to buy.

I'm not so sure. Abba had been out of the charts for over ten years when Gold was released. People had time to get over them and miss them. Secondly, The Immaculate Collection pretty much covers all the songs most casual fans are bothered about.

Interestlingly, in a time of recession, new music and fashion comes to the fore. People want change. Lady GaGa, Little Boots, La Roux are all new exciting females that are coming through. Madonna needs to go away for a couple of years - make people miss her.

I remember 1988 being a very empty year without her - she came storming back with Like A Prayer and it was great.

Guest Danny86

How is she lacking in the GH department? Yeah, she doesn't have multiple GH's with the same tracks like MJ, Tina Turner, Cher, Donna Summer, even U2. But most of her hits are available on TIC and GHV2 without any overlaps. Most people already bought TIC who wanted a Madonna GH, its collapsing sales in the UK last year for example prove that there's no demand for a Madonna GH when her hits can be cherry-picked on iTunes.

ABBA Gold is a totally incomparable situation. That one was caused by an ABBA revival, and as jonski said, Madonna never went away, and she kept singing her hits in the past 5 years, there was no event that would justify a sudden interest for her old hits.

How is she lacking in the GH department? Yeah, she doesn't have multiple GH's with the same tracks like MJ, Tina Turner, Cher, Donna Summer, even U2.

You just answered your own question. I didn't to use the word lacking as a bad thing, it is actually really good that her back catalog hasn't been over-worked with 13 greatest hits like Kylie etc.

All I meant with the ABBA Gold comment is that if WB put out a single CD compilation with all of Madonna's 'gold' hits then it would be very welcome in the market.

I know a lot of people who aren't fans but who have a copy of the IC and don't even really know about GHV2 and would be very willing to purchase a GH that catches then up with the last 15 years or so.

As I said.. there are a lot of 80's compilations going around that are very popular at the moment because at this specific time people are really embracing the 80's and M is lucky to have not had her catalog raided and sold of to all and sundry by her record company.

Anyway if you think the GH will not do well then you are welcome to your opinion.. but I for one think it will do a lot better than some 'fans' expect.

U2 did release their first two greatest hits separately, the first covering the 80s, the second covering the 90s. The single-disc dopesn't do the band any favors.

*If* WB markets the GH properly and packages it nicely, it may perform decently. But, no, it's not going to be some mega-selling release.

^Nope, they released U2 18 Hits or something like that in the end of 2007.

im not mistaken. They've released 3 total

the first, the 80-90 collection in 1998

then the 90-00' collection in 2002

the 18 singles was released in 2006

This new GH is not gonna be a huge seller, now.

But 5 years from now, or even more, it will prob reach that success.

Guest superman
This new GH is not gonna be a huge seller, now.

But 5 years from now, or even more, it will prob reach that success.

you are wrong!! thats how you feel? well, i can see a huge success, depending on the new singles released.

it could be her biggest selling album.. fingers crossed.

again, she needs brand new singles.....i can smell no. 1 hit single at the billboard top 100 - "Revolver"

it could be her biggest selling album.. fingers crossed.

you think it will reach diamond status??????

:nocomment:

HA! it will not sell 10 million copies.......

I think the best case scenario in the US is a 1x platinum certification.

exactly

it could have a good success, but not a huge success

well maybe he is talking about the long run... imagine having MADONNA's 'almost' whole career in one package... it's every straight male's "i-gotta-have-an-excuse-to-buy-a-madonna-cd" dream come true... plus of course the casuals and the die hards and collectors...

i remember back in 1991 in boarding school for males, a straight guy knocked on my door asking what album i was playing... it was The Immaculate Collection...

well maybe he is talking about the long run... imagine having MADONNA's 'almost' whole career in one package... it's every straight male's "i-gotta-have-an-excuse-to-buy-a-madonna-cd" dream come true... plus of course the casuals and the die hards and collectors...

i remember back in 1991 in boarding school for males, a straight guy knocked on my door asking what album i was playing... it was The Immaculate Collection...

A Turkish boy once insisted on borrowing my TIC cassette 'cuz he insisted LAP was plagiarised

from a turkish song so he wanted 2 'study' the song carefully...Yilmaz if u read this u still r a dumb fuck :fag:

Depending on its format, it could end up replacing TIC as the definitive Madonna compilation. But, still, will never match TIC's success, mostly due to declining album sales. Digital album sales are gaining, but not enough to offset the loss in physical sales. Would be nice ifthe CD can make a comeback, or at least stabilize in sales.

Guest superman

being negative is part of recession in our nation...lol...negative, negative!!

all i can say, it will be a huge success!! - take note, Fall season is the best time of the year to release aan album, in time for holiday season. people buy presents. , including myself, i will buy for my friends and family..thats for sure.

it will be a huge success, trust me!!!

Guest superman
exactly

it could have a good success, but not a huge success

that would be her latest single, Revolver - a chance to reach no. 1 spot = huge success.

Guest Eternal Flame
i can smell no. 1 hit single at the billboard top 100 - "Revolver"

LOL

Let's be realistic, the new GH most likely will not be a staple in her discography a la TIC and probably will not give her another number one in America or the UK but I think it will be a solid catalogue seller and nice alternative/extension to TIC and the ill-conceived GHV2.

I see it going 1xp in the States and probably 6 million worldwide but that's over the course of quite a few years, not overnight.

that would be her latest single, Revolver - a chance to reach no. 1 spot = huge success.

people said the same thing abotu 4 minutes

HEY, even i was very optimistic about Give it 2 me, i had high hopes it was going to be a top 20 hit!!!!

let people speak what they want, i dont understand why you have to tear everyones opinion to shreads

NO ONE is being negative, but you! :thumbsup:

Guest nothingfails0603

HEY, even i was very optimistic about Give it 2 me, i had high hopes it was going to be a top 20 hit!!!!

let people speak what they want, i dont understand why you have to tear everyones opinion to shreads

I agree. He needs to realize people have different opinions. The one thing I really disagree with him on is that he loathes COADF and Kylie and goes gaga over Gaga. Most of the gay men I know who worship Gaga now are the same people who went apeshit over COADF and Fever.

Guest superman

may i remind you, if you forgot.. give it 2 me has no promotion at all.. it was not release on the radio officially. 4 minutes was no. 3 on the billboard, it was successful , that was her highest rank so far after hung up (n.7)

Guest superman
I agree. He needs to realize people have different opinions. The one thing I really disagree with him on is that he loathes COADF and Kylie and goes gaga over Gaga. Most of the gay men I know who worship Gaga now are the same people who went apeshit over COADF and Fever.

no , i dont think so.. thats your opinion - lady gaga music is far better sound that those kylie minoge or CODF singles. - Lady Gaga has hip-hop/pop/R&B influenced and thats what makes her popular nowadays and most played on the radio. Dj's loved it.. CODF tracks? ohh as the radio DJ...lol

Guest superman

what if REVOLVER single will be released, and hit no. 1 spot?????? BINGO!!!! i wonder how the haters will react... :scared:

well, come back to this thread and give me a smile. lol

Guest superman

well, if her singles didn't make it to top 10 inspite of promotion and adversting. i should say MADONNA IS OVER, she is done,.. SHE NEEDS TO GET LOST..