Madonna Greatest Hits: Hopefully Out By Fall

Guest bluejean
People buying albums are now the minority, compared to people who only buy singles. It's not just new artists or "single artists", it's almost everyone except the usual ones, like U2, AC/DC, Metallica, and country acts...

Madonna was always singles-driven, just that back then it was the thing to buy full CDs. When Music sold 11 million on the back of 2 singles, there were teen pop acts that sold a million albums in a single week, because that was the thing back then, and labels refused to issue singles. Now we went to the complete opposite, the vast majority is not going to buy filler songs, no matter if the are actually filler, or great songs.

As I said in another thread, Madonna has got one of the biggest contracts in the music business at the moment, so LN will make sure she remains as marketable as possible. And I always said that Madonna remained relevant because she always captured newer fans, so I'm sure the next project will be all about one or two strong singles, just to make sure people will be interested to check out her latest tour. It's possible they would invest more money in videos because of Internet promo, but I don't see Madonna plugging her album at Oprah, AI etc, because all the effort won't bring the proper revenue, and no matter what some still believe here, relevance and popularity is not based on album sales now, in the case of Madonna, the label will not care if she only sells 700k as opposed to 1 million, as long as she has a single selling above a million, and a highly successful tour.

It is going to piss off certain fans who "aged together" with Madonna, but they will always go to her shows and most of them will buy what she does, so LN will be more interested in aiming to get newer fans...

I think "Revolver" would be a good idea as the first single, it would be a big hit, and it would make at least some people check out the GH, which I really don't expect to sell in big numbers. I read comments that it's going to do better than GHV2 because of new songs, and most likely better tracklist, but if it outdid GHV2, then it would have to be among the year's 3 bestsellers worldwide, and I just don't see that happening with a GH.

Well said, and I agree to some extent. No doubt Live Nation will be more interested in getting new fans. However, I just don't think there are many potential new fans to market to out there.

Young kids could become interested in Madonna, especially with in an interest in her back catalogue the same way bands like Rolling Stones reach the younger generation. But in all honesty, I can't see this being a huge selling point. Winning over new fans with new music will be difficult without radio support, and for the young generation there will be someone much younger and cooler anyway. Anyone slightly older already knows about Madonna, and if it's their thing most likely already own an album or two at the least. My point is these casual fans are the ones that should be marketed to.

This new Greatest Hits could do better than GHV2 in the longterm, IF a package is put together that is more comprehensive than TIC. GHV2 didn't do that well because for a Greatest Hits it had alot of filler. It just wasn't worth covering the latter half of her career only, because most of her career defining singles were on TIC. Immediate sales may not be huge, but in 10 years time they will surely surpass GHV2.

People buying albums are now the minority, compared to people who only buy singles. It's not just new artists or "single artists", it's almost everyone except the usual ones, like U2, AC/DC, Metallica, and country acts...

Madonna was always singles-driven, just that back then it was the thing to buy full CDs. When Music sold 11 million on the back of 2 singles, there were teen pop acts that sold a million albums in a single week, because that was the thing back then, and labels refused to issue singles. Now we went to the complete opposite, the vast majority is not going to buy filler songs, no matter if the are actually filler, or great songs.

As I said in another thread, Madonna has got one of the biggest contracts in the music business at the moment, so LN will make sure she remains as marketable as possible. And I always said that Madonna remained relevant because she always captured newer fans, so I'm sure the next project will be all about one or two strong singles, just to make sure people will be interested to check out her latest tour. It's possible they would invest more money in videos because of Internet promo, but I don't see Madonna plugging her album at Oprah, AI etc, because all the effort won't bring the proper revenue, and no matter what some still believe here, relevance and popularity is not based on album sales now, in the case of Madonna, the label will not care if she only sells 700k as opposed to 1 million, as long as she has a single selling above a million, and a highly successful tour.

It is going to piss off certain fans who "aged together" with Madonna, but they will always go to her shows and most of them will buy what she does, so LN will be more interested in aiming to get newer fans...

I think "Revolver" would be a good idea as the first single, it would be a big hit, and it would make at least some people check out the GH, which I really don't expect to sell in big numbers. I read comments that it's going to do better than GHV2 because of new songs, and most likely better tracklist, but if it outdid GHV2, then it would have to be among the year's 3 bestsellers worldwide, and I just don't see that happening with a GH.

:thumbsup:

One again you speak the truth. It's a harsh reality to accept for some....but it's the truth. It's going to be mayhem in here when the GH is released and sells 150k in the US the first week and ends up selling like 2 million worldwide after it's run it's course on the charts.

i was lookign through madonnafanzine today, and come by these posts:

from stereomover:

Oakenfold has remixed/extended his own tracks.

Remixes and the single are being discussed now.

Don't have much to confirm as of yet.

Let's see how the rehearsals go.

The tracks (and which versions) for the GH are also being finalized.

Surprisingly, quite a few people are involved in this.

from G_O_N_E:

Yeah, I was told that Warners are pushing for two different versions, one "entire career" package, and then one that is 2000+ songs only?? I guess there was some confusion as far as the single goes, being that it's "Revolver", it won't appear on the greatest hits, because Warner will be able to collect a profit from it?? If it's simply a single, it'll be all Live Nation?

Guest Danny86
:thumbsup:

One again you speak the truth. It's a harsh reality to accept for some....but it's the truth. It's going to be mayhem in here when the GH is released and sells 150k in the US the first week and ends up selling like 2 million worldwide after it's run it's course on the charts.

I'm sure about the meltdown too. The complaints will be endless, starting with the poor tracklist, "Revolver" being a bad song, and the GH not selling because Madonna pissed on her legacy with HC and S&ST so nobody is interested in her old and great work. But the worst of all will be the endless comparisons to MJ's dozens of compilations, on chart forums certain Madonna haters will have a field day with that.

i was lookign through madonnafanzine today, and come by these posts:

from stereomover:

Oakenfold has remixed/extended his own tracks.

Remixes and the single are being discussed now.

Don't have much to confirm as of yet.

Let's see how the rehearsals go.

The tracks (and which versions) for the GH are also being finalized.

Surprisingly, quite a few people are involved in this.

from G_O_N_E:

Yeah, I was told that Warners are pushing for two different versions, one "entire career" package, and then one that is 2000+ songs only?? I guess there was some confusion as far as the single goes, being that it's "Revolver", it won't appear on the greatest hits, because Warner will be able to collect a profit from it?? If it's simply a single, it'll be all Live Nation?

Do u have to pay now 2 log in2 fanzine? :confused:

from G_O_N_E:

Huh? I am so confused. "Revolver" is NOT on the GH now and may not be the first single? Did Anna H. confirm that? She's about the only one I trust with leaked information.

^ A friend of mine who seems to know her, said she thinks it wont be on the GH

Do they know why? It seems like it would be weird to hold on to it for the next album if that project is over a year and half away.

Anyway, it's disappointing. I was really looking forward to a new Madonna song this summer. :(

Guest Danny86

^There will definitely be a new Madonna song this summer, but currently there's a bigger chance that it's "Celebrate" instead of "Revolver". The speculation about "Revolver" not being on a GH comes from quotes by Anna & Stereomover who were saying that nothing is definite yet and the video production was delayed.

So true about the "meltdowns" that some will experience.

I just want to see a nicely put together package that is fitting for the Queen. Whatever the single is, it will sell well if on iTunes, just by default and being the *new* Madonna single. As for the album, it's a GH, so can't expect huge-arse debut numbers for that in this day and age.

IMO it`s time for an official announcement for the first single !

If they really want to release the GH in September than it`s time for a press release for the whole GH project in July!

Time will tell :dramatic:

Guest dicktracy
there's a double edged sword with that. People love courting younger fans, but younger fans generally don't care enough for an artist to buy the whole album, they just pick and choose the songs they want to download. A 13 year old sounds attractive on paper because they're a perfect age for advertisers while a 30 year old isn't, but a 13 year old will never care enough for an artist to want the whole thing, they'll just download one or two songs while the older fan will actually buy the entire thing. Just look at Lady GaGa, she should be well passed 900k but she mainly is popular with an audience who doesn't know what the concept of a full-length album is.

You logic is correct if the 13 year old is not a fan. Any 13 year old that becomes a fan will devour her catalogue.... of course, he or she will most likely download it illegally. And people still download full albums illegally. They just delete the songs they don't like. In the past we didn't have this luxury... we had to skip them. Anyway, a FAN will get the album regardless of age.

Guest dicktracy
hmm, I wasn't attacking M or HC "flopping", but the fact that younger fans aren't like us in the sense that they don't see albums as cohesive collections of songs by an artist and just download the songs they want, whereas we (mostly people over 21-25+) will buy the whole kit and caboodle if we like the songs. Every single person I know who has actually bought Gaga's album are 25+, the tweenyboppers say they love her but only download her songs and IMO that is sad because most albums have great songs that aren't meant for radio consumption.

My guess is that most people you know is about that age. Anyway, you probably don't know that many 13 year old kids and you probably shouldn't. If I had the chance to buy just some track back in the 90's instead of a whole album, I would've done it. But that would not have stopped me from buying OK Computer, Automatic For The People, Nevermind, Dookie and so many other albums that I love. Otherwise, why would anyone explain Miley and Jonas Brothers selling so many albums while their demographics is much younger.

I think it's time to accept the fact that no matter if we unanimously (or almost) like an album or if the critics unanimously like an album, M is going to STRUGGLE to get to 1 million in the states from now on. That's just the way it is now. When is the last time Madonna was a top 20 year end seller for one of her US albums anyways?? It's the worldwide totals that count and Hard Candy was indeed the number 9 selling album in the world in 2008. Again, we can compare her sales with the "hot artists" of any era from LAP on and Madonna ALWAYS falls short. Her latest album is a top 10 year end seller, her latest tour is the top grossing tour ever, 4M is her only double platinum single in the US aside from Vogue......where is the career slump??

If ya don't like it don't listen to it. If she's crossed the line and you are over her.....be over her. If the thought of her cooing "my sex is a killer" to Lil Wayne in a song makes you want to vomit....move the fuck on. Jeezus these discussions are so tired. GET THE FUCK OVER IT!

HAPPY FUCKING FRIDAY! :)

BRILLIANT post, Kurt!!!! :thumbsup:

I know a lot of kids (hundreds, actually) and they tend to download songs/singles rather than buying albums - this is a fact. Given this, it's in an artist's best interests for record companies to promote many tracks to radio to generate interest in an album. Lady GaGa is up to Single #5 from "The Fame" in Australia and each single has been a big hit, with all but the most recent ("Paparazzi", one week on the chart from sales of the album version only) being certified at least Gold.

Established artists seem to be struggling of late regarding singles. U2 had one of the poorest performing singles ever with "Get On Your Boots" and even Green Day are struggling with their latest.

My guess is that most people you know is about that age. Anyway, you probably don't know that many 13 year old kids and you probably shouldn't. If I had the chance to buy just some track back in the 90's instead of a whole album, I would've done it. But that would not have stopped me from buying OK Computer, Automatic For The People, Nevermind, Dookie and so many other albums that I love. Otherwise, why would anyone explain Miley and Jonas Brothers selling so many albums while their demographics is much younger.

miley and jonas bros are poor album sellers

especially compared to how popular they are among kids

none of their last albums surpassed hard candy worldwide

Guest superman

no, she has to release that single 'REVOLVER" - its a radio friendly song, otherwise if she releases the other new songs, the U.S radio DJ wont play her song, because she is too old. but on the other hand it depends what type of music she gonna play, its called the "mainstream" - this kind of music is what people wants - now, if you are a business woman , you dont want to go bankrupt and hurt your career.

Remember, there are so many young fans now became Madonna fans after 4 minutes track.. if you watched her concerts Sticky and Sweet 1st leg tour- almost half of her audience are now males. not just any males, a STRAIGHT MALE THAT IS. LOL... (but im dead serious)..

Guest bluejean
Established artists seem to be struggling of late regarding singles. U2 had one of the poorest performing singles ever with "Get On Your Boots" and even Green Day are struggling with their latest.

'Get On Your Boots' was also one of their poorest singles ever so I'm not surprised it didn't sell well.

Guest superman
I know a lot of kids (hundreds, actually) and they tend to download songs/singles rather than buying albums - this is a fact. Given this, it's in an artist's best interests for record companies to promote many tracks to radio to generate interest in an album. Lady GaGa is up to Single #5 from "The Fame" in Australia and each single has been a big hit, with all but the most recent ("Paparazzi", one week on the chart from sales of the album version only) being certified at least Gold.

THAT IS THE REASON WHY MADONNA TRYING TO GET THIS MARKET, these are the people who bought Cd's dowloaded songs, Itunes etc.. etc... and presto!! make big money!! - THE WORLD IS CHANGING!!

no one cares about flamboyant sounds made by Paul O. -- sure no Dj play this kind of music on the radio.. its not the same anymore as it was used to be. again, the music is changing as so the people.. if you are a business minded person, you need to save your ass.

Guest BytheBay
no, she has to release that single 'REVOLVER" - its a radio friendly song, otherwise if she releases the other new songs, the U.S radio DJ wont play her song, because she is too old.

how do you know what revolver sounds like? there was clip but that doesn't mean its what the finished product sounds like and you have no idea what the other songs sound like either

Guest Danny86

Madonna Tribe says "Revolver" is going to be on the GH album featuring Lil Wayne, but it's not definite at all that it's going to be a single, or at least the first single. They say it might end up like "BGO", the song everyone expects to be released as a single, but never happening.

Lil Wayne's album is out on August 18th, so I can see his label not allowing the Madonna feat. Lil Wayne single to be out at the same time.

America radio just seems stuck in a rut of the same old music - RnB, Hip Hop, whiney rock chicks. People get their music in other ways now. Just look at the number of hits Madonna gets on youtube.

Madonna gets hits where charts are based on sales - is American radio becoming redundant now? I think they have been slow to get with the digital era.

America radio just seems stuck in a rut of the same old music - RnB, Hip Hop, whiney rock chicks. People get their music in other ways now. Just look at the number of hits Madonna gets on youtube.

Madonna gets hits where charts are based on sales - is American radio becoming redundant now? I think they have been slow to get with the digital era.

Actually I think radio is doing a better job now than say 5 years ago as far as playing what is actually popular and selling as opposed to what they want to play. Gaga's success is proof of that. There is no way she would've had 3 top 5 songs in a row with songs like those even just a few years ago.

Guest superman
how do you know what revolver sounds like? there was clip but that doesn't mean its what the finished product sounds like and you have no idea what the other songs sound like either

i do!! its all over in the internet.. maybe more retouched is needed when the final song release.

Guest superman
Actually I think radio is doing a better job now than say 5 years ago as far as playing what is actually popular and selling as opposed to what they want to play. Gaga's success is proof of that. There is no way she would've had 3 top 5 songs in a row with songs like those even just a few years ago.

all songs from Lady Gaga, Kathy Perry is all has R&B/Pop/hip-hop influence., we cant deny that!! - the world is changing and so as the people or the listeners.

if you play those Kelly Minogue songs (oh yak! god no) - radio DJ's will trashed it, i swear to god, they will all be sick by listening to it.

Guest superman
Madonna Tribe says "Revolver" is going to be on the GH album featuring Lil Wayne, but it's not definite at all that it's going to be a single, or at least the first single. They say it might end up like "BGO", the song everyone expects to be released as a single, but never happening.

Lil Wayne's album is out on August 18th, so I can see his label not allowing the Madonna feat. Lil Wayne single to be out at the same time.

i hope its true, please let Revolver be a new single..!!!

Where on Madonnatribe?it's not on the news, so if it's in the forum it's not like it was confirmed by them.