Madonna Greatest Hits: Hopefully Out By Fall

But aren't the TIC versions of "Holiday" and "EY" that still get played?

Yep, though as was said the radio stations only seem to bother with that CD out of convenience.

As for the tour versions, I agree about the casual fan argument, but it's not like there's a huge demand for a compilation of Madonna tracks in the iTunes era, especially because probably everyone owns TIC who wants to own at least one Madonna CD. So they might better off turn this into a for the fans project (asking for suggestions on Twitter might have been a hint).

True enough about the iTunes era, yeah. But Greatest Hits were never meant for fans - bar adding on new tracks.

I think it's pretty worrying that Guy Oseary was asking for help on Twitter, especially since he's apparently picking the tracks :nocomment: If they wanted fan input they would have been better doing a poll at Icon to help choose the tracks, but then that's representative of hardcore loons only.

They could easily just look up the amazon reviews of The Immaculate Collection and GHV2 and they'll see the significant amount of complaints about Q Sound and remixes.

When I first bought The Immaculate Collcetion I was very disappointed that the version of Like A Prayer wasn't the "video version" I loved.Of course, I wasn't a "full time" fan back then but when I buy a GH I want the origianl versions and not some remixes.

I want the versions that made the songs famous: if it´s a remix, it´s ok with me.For example, I hope they include the miami mix of Don´t cry for me argentina

yet they did it for The Immaculate Collection

When i look at TIC, i think of it as a soundtrack for Blond Ambition/Truth or Dare

The songs are remixed, very different than the album versions. Plus the songs that were performed on that tour, are pretty similar to the tour mixes.

Yeah, most notably "Like A Prayer" which has that same "God!" intro

It's interesting it had that "Original studio versions from Truth or Dare". Didn't know about that. Obviously this was added later as ToD didn't come out till the next year, so initial pressings wouldn't have it. At least there's a bit of honesty there, as the original tracklisting didn't indictate it was remixed or different to the originals.

GHV2 had on the back cover all the edits listed, but I think that was unecessary in that case and confusing to the casual consumer, as none of the tracks were really remixed (OK, they were a little as Mattress will tell you, but not to the extent of TIC surely and were more just edits). Will be interesting to see how they address the back cover tracklisting this time.

Rumors that "Revolver" has beencancelled as the lead single.

If one of the Oakenfold tracks (i.e. "Celebrate") is the lead single, I don't see why there couldn't be a second single (both new tracks were issued from TIC, after all). It may be wiser, commercially, to release one of the Oakenfold tracks first, that may have a tougher time as the second single. You know, brand-new Madonna track, regardless of what it is, should fare OK in digital sales.Then, release the more radio-friendly track (with possible Lil Wayne guest appearance) as the second single- still may not be a BIG hit, but it may have a better shot as a second single than an Oakenfold track. We've seen how M's second singles (and beyond) have fared in the USA in recent times.

Rumors that "Revolver" has beencancelled as the lead single.

If one of the Oakenfold tracks (i.e. "Celebrate") is the lead single, I don't see why there couldn't be a second single (both new tracks were issued from TIC, after all). It may be wiser, commercially, to release one of the Oakenfold tracks first, that may have a tougher time as the second single. You know, brand-new Madonna track, regardless of what it is, should fare OK in digital sales.Then, release the more radio-friendly track (with possible Lil Wayne guest appearance) as the second single- still may not be a BIG hit, but it may have a better shot as a second single than an Oakenfold track. We've seen how M's second singles (and beyond) have fared in the USA in recent times.

At this point we know that 'radio friendly' collaborators don't mean anything. I'd rather have a flop single without

Lil Wayne than with... .

Guest Johnkm
I'd rather have a flop single without Lil Wayne than with... .

Same, even if the song flops, doesnt mean its bad :)

well if you wanna talk about "radio-friendly" im pretty sure Revolver was that track.

Also, wasnt it mentioned/rumored in this thread that Revolver wouldnt be released on the GH, but still have a single release??

and just because Lil Wayne could be involved doesn't automatically mean it's a bad track. Nobody has heard anything (bar the demo without her). For all we know Celebrate (which has already been compared to Get Together) could be "tired" as many feel Oakenfold is at this point and the Wayne track could be hot....ya never know. It's just eerily reminscent of 2 years ago when the songs were slated based on the rumored producers/collaborators before we had heard anything. There just seems to be this automatic prejudgement that if Wayne is on the track that it = bad. Familiar?

I'd actually be more worried about a "Get Together" rehash than some short Lil Wanye rap.

I love GT but duplicating that sound seems a bit late. COADF is awesome, but it sounds like it was released in 2005. Having Wayne on a song seems more of an extension of her most recent sound on HC. We'll see though I guess.....

:)

Wasn't it just that "Celebrate" has a GT feel? Doesn't mean it's a rehash, necessarily. I just think that *if* the plan is for two singles, an Oakenfold track has abetter shot at being a semi-hit as the first single rather than the second.

If "Revolver" was the second single, a mix with Lil Wayne (or whoever) could boost the chart potential- or not. But, that kind of track probaboy would do better as a second single than an Oakenfold track. In turn, though, the Oakenfold track may not do as well as a first single as "Revolver" may do.

I just want to hear *just* Madonna again on a fresh, new single, not some collaboration.

BTW- there are times I hear the original "Holiday" radio edit over TIC version. But,. I'd think TIC one is the one that geyts the bulk of play nowadays.

yes, also with LAP the photo at the middle was in color. Warner squeezing pennies.

There are other changes - the flipping of the image on Bedtime Stories - which also no longer comes in the aqua-colored case. The cassette of True Blue had no title on the cover and blue printing in the liner - adjusted to include cover title and black printing in the liner - Something to Remember had no tray liner and the barcode was on the disc - the text printing on the I'm Breathless CD was in arcs and adjusted to horizontal text - Not to mention the varying title of "Spanish Eyes" appearing as "Pray for Spanish Eyes" at times - and even differing from liner to the actual cassette or CD in the package

In Europe, TIC is still printed with shiny gold print and I believe Bedtime Stories is still upside down, but STR has the tray liner - I'm not sure if they ever had the see-through version.

I'd actually be more worried about a "Get Together" rehash than some short Lil Wanye rap.

GT itself is bad enough, personally I find it tuneless and definitely gonna be a flop. I do not understand so many fans thought it would be a sure hit when COADF just came out, and some even criticised me for being negative.

At the end, I was right. This tuneless piece of shit flopped everywhere. :demonic:

GT itself is bad enough, personally I find it tuneless and definitely gonna be a flop. I do not understand so many fans thought it would be a sure hit when COADF just came out, and some even criticised me for being negative.

At the end, I was right. This tuneless piece of shit flopped everywhere. :demonic:

"Get Together" peaks:

#1 Spain & Hungary

#2 Italy

#7 UK

#4 Canada

#6 Finland

Top 20 Hit: Denmark, Greece, EURO 100, Sweden, Netherlands, Ireland, and Australia

Not quite everywhere...

"Get Together" peaks:

#1 Spain & Hungary

#2 Italy

#7 UK

#4 Canada

#6 Finland

Top 20 Hit: Denmark, Greece, EURO 100, Sweden, Netherlands, Ireland, and Australia

Not quite everywhere...

Although it faired relatively ok, everyone wanted "Jump" as the next single. It was one of the favourites from the start. Like "Impressive Instant" and "Beat Goes On", another single was chosen over the one fans really wanted and consequently we end up with a third single that nobody but fans would remember.

Although it faired relatively ok, everyone wanted "Jump" as the next single. It was one of the favourites from the start. Like "Impressive Instant" and "Beat Goes On", another single was chosen over the one fans really wanted and consequently we end up with a third single that nobody but fans would remember.

Oh I was totally gunning for "Jump" as the third single (actually, I would've preferred it as the second single), but I don't think "Get Together" is a bad song by any stretch of the imagination. Ever since MUSIC, all of Madonna's third singles have only been remembered by fans.

Get Together is one of her best ever songs. Alot of non fans agreed with that aswell.

You know, i agree with that...I think more people know/like Get Together than one would expect given its lack of chart success. I hear it often while I'm shopping and have heard from friends that it was actually played at the jersey shore more than any other song in recent years...take that with a grain of salt, but i think there's something to it

Guest Danny86

"Get Together" was a fan favourite since day one and most fans, who didn't care about "oh but it won't be played on US radio!" were screaming for a single release. Warner went with it because it was the most downloaded song among the album tracks. Those chart positions are not bad, but remember countries like Spain, Hungary or Canada (back then) almost had a nonexistant singles market and basically anything Madonna put out in this decade went to #1 or near it. If you compare, outside the UK, "Miles Away" did better as it was a Top 10 hit in the Netherlands and #11 in Germany. Her post-second singles after LAP were largely ignored anyway (except "Rain" & "TPOG"), I don't know how "non-fans" would say "GT" is one of her best, when it didn't get much exposure... It did well in the UK in sales, because it coincided with the start of the CT there, but it had very limited airplay compared to the other 3 COADF singles.

Guest harbors
Get Together is one of her best ever songs.

Your comment is an overstated statement. The song is OK and has not stood the test of time.

Guest Johnkm
I don't know how "non-fans" would say "GT" is one of her best

Well it is the only single off COADF, bar Hung Up, that my friends remember to this day oddly

Guest Pud Whacker
Your comment is an overstated statement. The song is OK and has not stood the test of time.

harbors, always a glimmer of light. xo

GT peaked at No. 4 on Canada's digital chart? because if it's No. 4 peak came from the physical singles chart, means about as much as peaking at No. 2 on Billboard's Singles Sales chart. :) Some of Madge's Canadian singles peaks from 2000-on are kinda irrelevant, given that the physical singles market hit the skids in Canada, much like it did in the USA.

Guest superman

WE NEED REVOLVER AS THE NEXT SINGLE, OTHERWISE ANOTHER FLOP!! No more flamboyant song from her like those tracks from CODF album.. She needs no. 1 hit single that would be 'REVOLVER'.

Off with your head! :americanlife:

Get Together is one of Madonna's best songs ever. PERIOD.

WE NEED REVOLVER AS THE NEXT SINGLE, OTHERWISE ANOTHER FLOP!! No more flamboyant song from her like those tracks from CODF album.. She needs no. 1 hit single that would be 'REVOLVER'.

:lol:

Who cares about it being a huge hit in the US anymore i don't. Give me a GREAT TRACK and it will be huge everywhere except the US. She's still relevant everywhere around the world(they will play it on radio).

A hit in the US at this point is just an added bonus like 4 Minutes was.