Madonna Greatest Hits: Hopefully Out By Fall

George Michael and Whitney Houston had double GH albums; each with one CD for the slower songs and another for the more uptempo (Whitney's was full of remixes). I'm sure it's a double disc but I tend to like a chronological tracklist so I hope they don't copy them.

The european edition of Whitney's GH was also different (not remixes on disc 2 but album versions and also some remixes yes).

Wasn't' the "audio dvd remaster" of all the albums confirmed by Caresse or something years ago?

that was for the 20th anniversary boxset. what was that, december 2003?

stuart price was the one in charge of remastering everything

Unless the tracks are newly remixed, or tour studio versions are used, I think it's a given that the TIC mixes will be included. Inevitable for "Holiday", "LAP" & "EY" at the very least.

What makes you say that?

And I don't see the point in releasing tour versions at all, not on a Greatest Hits which is geared toward casual fans. Tour mixes might be bonus tracks, but they wouldn't replace the originals, tney're more for a rarities collection and I think they'd keep them as one off live tracks for the concerts to preserve the fact it was live.

What makes you say that?

And I don't see the point in releasing tour versions at all, not on a Greatest Hits which is geared toward casual fans. Tour mixes might be bonus tracks, but they wouldn't replace the originals, tney're more for a rarities collection and I think they'd keep them as one off live tracks for the concerts to preserve the fact it was live.

yet they did it for The Immaculate Collection

When i look at TIC, i think of it as a soundtrack for Blond Ambition/Truth or Dare

The songs are remixed, very different than the album versions. Plus the songs that were performed on that tour, are pretty similar to the tour mixes.

I dont see the problem of adding in tour mixes in replace of the album/radio mixes. I think its a quite clever idea. But the idea shouldnt go overboard. I mean, mixes like Holiday RIT, Music Inferno, Into The Groove S&S shouldnt be added cause they are drastically different. Minimal changes like Secret from DWT or Burning Up from RIT could be added.

Guest Danny86
What makes you say that?

But aren't the TIC versions of "Holiday" and "EY" that still get played? Also, for "EY" it was always about the Shep remix since day one, it was a different edit than on TIC, but it's easier to just copypaste from TIC than from an obscure promo CD. That goes for other hits, maybe the single/radio versions don't match the TIC mixes, but they can be easily re-used.

I think it would be very weird if "LAP" was not the TIC mix, she's been doing dance versions of it live in the past several years, I'm sure she considers that one the "definite" version. The RIT version of "Vogue" is basically the TIC mix as well...

As for the tour versions, I agree about the casual fan argument, but it's not like there's a huge demand for a compilation of Madonna tracks in the iTunes era, especially because probably everyone owns TIC who wants to own at least one Madonna CD. So they might better off turn this into a for the fans project (asking for suggestions on Twitter might have been a hint) and in that case it's better to use "Music Inferno" than the album version of "Music" that fans already own.

Guest ursaminorjim
I think it would be very weird if "LAP" was not the TIC mix, she's been doing dance versions of it live in the past several years, I'm sure she considers that one the "definite" version. The RIT version of "Vogue" is basically the TIC mix as well...

Bite your tongue and swallow it, Danny!

The Immaculate Collection mixes of "Like a prayer" and "Vogue" - two of the strongest songs in her canon, even today - are an abomination, and must never be given issue again. Contain their virulence to TIC where it will be shielded by godawful artwork (sort-of like a poison control sticker, that cover always diverts me from potentially listening to it by accident).

Guest Danny86

:rotfl:

While I agree, especially about "LAP", I dislike that version, I was saying it in in the point of view of a possible Madonna scenario. Remember she put "Human Nature" and "Drowned World" on a hits compilation last time around, so it's a given that she will hand pick the tracks again.

I'm pretty much convinced that Madonna will choose the TIC mixes, or newer versions over the originals. I don't think it's a coincidence that she turned "LAP" into the "non-sitting down song". Oh and Stephen Bray supposedly abandoned her because she allowed Shep to "ruin" his 2 LAP singles, so it would be incredibly weird if she went back to the album version of "EY".

The Immaculate Collection mixes of "Like a prayer" and "Vogue" - two of the strongest songs in her canon, even today - are an abomination, and must never be given issue again. Contain their virulence to TIC where it will be shielded by godawful artwork (sort-of like a poison control sticker, that cover always diverts me from potentially listening to it by accident).

Did you mean "Express Yourself"? As far as arrangement is concerned "Vogue" is only slightly extended... plus it gains that urgent "You've got to JUST!" right before the final "vogue".

yet they did it for The Immaculate Collection

When i look at TIC, i think of it as a soundtrack for Blond Ambition/Truth or Dare

The songs are remixed, very different than the album versions. Plus the songs that were performed on that tour, are pretty similar to the tour mixes.

I dont see the problem of adding in tour mixes in replace of the album/radio mixes. I think its a quite clever idea. But the idea shouldnt go overboard.

I still see copies of the CD in the store with the burgundy sticker that boasts it contains the official versions from TRUTH OR DARE... so yeah, I'm glad you pointed that out. I was thinking that, as well.

I kind of agree with you about them not being drastically different... But a tweak or two wouldn't be out of place, given that most fans would have the TIC or GHV2 versions by this point (or original album version). I'd like to put in my request for a full version of the RIT "Papa Don't Preach" treatment Stuart did. Love that version (if it were longer, containing the whole song).

As for the tour versions, I agree about the casual fan argument, but it's not like there's a huge demand for a compilation of Madonna tracks in the iTunes era, especially because probably everyone owns TIC who wants to own at least one Madonna CD. So they might better off turn this into a for the fans project (asking for suggestions on Twitter might have been a hint) and in that case it's better to use "Music Inferno" than the album version of "Music" that fans already own.

The RIT version of Like a Prayer was rather acoustic to me. I know she said it's a "no sitting down song" and all -- but it's heavy on the acoustic guitar, etc. It has a good beat, but so did the original, which is more rock/Gospel than Shep's mix (for TIC), which was definitely dance. The most recent tour version is also very dance, but in a rave-y kind of way.

And wouldn't most fans have "Music Inferno" already, too? I mean, it was on the CT audio CD, and it's available on iTunes.

I was writing with someone recently about the Immaculate Collection artwork. I used to hate it, too... But I've come to appreciate it. Not having an image of her on the cover is kind of like an ultimate nose-thumbing to those who always level the charge that her image is what has sold all these years. (Granted, she IS a visual artist, and her videography and portraiture has been very, very important to her visual identity -- not denying that. I love that about her... But to say that is exclusively responsible for her success is to overlook a key ingredient, if not THE ingredient... the music.) It's like saying the music is really what matters.

I'll just toss this out there, while we're talking about TIC artwork. I thought I read somewhere that originally Jeri Heiden was going to use a Herb Ritts photo on the cover. I found a link to an item on MadonnaTribe that said it was the same photo that ended up on the back cover of the CD version:

http://www.madonnatribe.com/news/modules.p...cle&sid=149

I thought I'd read somewhere that originally Madonna wanted the infamous shot from that Ritts set where she's grabbing her crotch... And Warner Bros. objected, so she opted for no photo at all. Is that even half-true?

I'm pretty much convinced that Madonna will choose the TIC mixes, or newer versions over the originals. I don't think it's a coincidence that she turned "LAP" into the "non-sitting down song". Oh and Stephen Bray supposedly abandoned her because she allowed Shep to "ruin" his 2 LAP singles, so it would be incredibly weird if she went back to the album version of "EY".

Huh! I never had heard that before... I actually love the "EY" version on the album. I'd love if we could get a remaster of that. (Really, shouldn't the whole LAP album have been remastered recently? It's 20 years old for crying out loud... I know it supposedly was a digital recording to begin with, but surely the technology's advanced enough now that it's due for a new coat of gloss to allow it to shimmer again with a refreshed shine.)

I heard the cover image was going to be a shot of her smoking, but then last minute decided to change it cause Madonna thought she looked like Mike Tyson.

^ If you check out that MadonnaTribe link, it says something similar. She's not smoking, but (according to them) she did say she thought she resembled Mike Tyson. (I don't see it?!) The photo they claim was to be used is just that one you see of her on the back cover of the CD.

Here's the photo of the original concept (again, according to them):

ic_02_300.jpg

Despite various claims otherwise over the years, I'm fairly certain the back cover image (also the video collection cover) is the "Mike Tyson" shot. Possibly my favorite photo of Madonna ever. I would love to see it uncropped! She wanted the cover to be the same as seen on Interview magazine where she is grabbing her crotch. Since she and the label couldn't agree they didn't use her likeness on the cover at all.

What bothers me about The Immaculate Collection artwork is that in the US, since 1991, the quality of the artwork has been significantly downgraded. This was in the wake of the "Justify My Love" lawsuit, where Ingrid Chavez demaned credit for her part in the writing of the song.

What was originally a logo printed as a layer of shiny gold ink on top of a pale, powder blue background is now printed as a FLAT image of a butterscotch yellow logo with an almost cornflower blue background. The songs, record company logos and album title on the spine of the back insert were originally in the aforementioned gold layer. The majority of the text on the downgrade are solid black and a production credit for Jellybean was added underneath "Borderline" which throws off the symmetry of the layout. The backcover is also considerably darker than on the first pressing. The inside booklet originally contained sepia tinted photos with maroon and cream colored pages for the write up and credits, with text highlighted in the gold layer. The "centerfold" photo was tinted a darker shade of gold. The booklet is now printed entirely in black and white.

Oh, and Ingrid gets her fucking credit.

I'm not sure if any other countries were downgraded, but for the bajillions of people in the United States who have purchased The Immaculate Collection after the first pressing it's a sad sight.

One other change (which is more confusing than it is a downgrade) is that they moved the track times from the "index" at the front of the booklet to the second half of the book, next to the titles in the fleshed out track credits.

I treasure my original US pressing complete with matching, shiny gold disc tray. :lol:

^ If you check out that MadonnaTribe link, it says something similar. She's not smoking, but (according to them) she did say she thought she resembled Mike Tyson. (I don't see it?!) The photo they claim was to be used is just that one you see of her on the back cover of the CD.

Here's the photo of the original concept (again, according to them):

ic_02_300.jpg

Sweet. I hadn't refreshed the page before I posted...

I'm sure they would have worked out something better with the logo placement, etc. Maybe something more like the laserdisc design...

164816858_o.jpg

The booklet is now printed entirely in black and white.

Isn't the Like a Prayer album like this too? When I bought it in the early 00s the entire booklet was in black and white, but I saw scans of the booklet online and it had powder blue endpages and gold titles I think

Guest Danny86
The RIT version of Like a Prayer was rather acoustic to me. I know she said it's a "no sitting down song" and all -- but it's heavy on the acoustic guitar, etc. It has a good beat, but so did the original, which is more rock/Gospel than Shep's mix (for TIC), which was definitely dance. The most recent tour version is also very dance, but in a rave-y kind of way.

And wouldn't most fans have "Music Inferno" already, too? I mean, it was on the CT audio CD, and it's available on iTunes.

Like I said in another thread recently, the acoustic version of "LAP" had a beat during the verses, which makes it already quite different from the original. It's kind of like the Shep mix played on acoustic instruments. It would be great if the original version got some spotlight on the GH, but really, that one was pushed aside with the BAT version already, so I can't really see it happening.

I would also love the original "EY" included, I think it's much better than the remix, but except for the TIC DVD, that one was never really promoted, the Shep mix was the main single and video version. The synth line of that one was used on RIT.

Fans have the live version of "Music Inferno", but not the studio version of it! ;)

I've read time and again on non fan specific forums that the casuals are utterly disappointed with TIC as they were expecting the songs they know and love and ended up with those dreadful mixes. On this occasion they need to put the hits in the single versions, remastered.

Guest xela

you're absolutely right:

madonnatheimmaculateco1.jpg

and the Mike Tyson's reference was about the size of her neck :lol:

Guest Danny86

^That's so cool, thanks for posting! Too bad they didn't use the new version of "Like A Virgin"!

Well, it seems even by then, Madonna was against being retrospective and was trying to make it seem like it's new stuff. Since she's even adding new songs to the upcoming GH, I'd imagine her state of mind would be the same. Does it mean "Vogue" on new GH will be the "4 Minutes" / "Give It To Me" mash- up? :demonic:

When I first bought The Immaculate Collcetion I was very disappointed that the version of Like A Prayer wasn't the "video version" I loved.Of course, I wasn't a "full time" fan back then but when I buy a GH I want the origianl versions and not some remixes.

Isn't the Like a Prayer album like this too? When I bought it in the early 00s the entire booklet was in black and white, but I saw scans of the booklet online and it had powder blue endpages and gold titles I think

yes, also with LAP the photo at the middle was in color. Warner squeezing pennies.

Never saw the laserdisc cover for TIC, i like that cover.

And once again, tahnkyou mattress for all that info. Damn you are like the sherlock holmes of Madonna investigating.

when I buy a GH I want the origianl versions and not some remixes.

i don't fancy remix collections either, but edits will do... where is the incentive if you buy a GH filled with album versions you already have in the studio albums, right?

i don't fancy remix collections either, but edits will do... where is the incentive if you buy a GH filled with album versions you already have in the studio albums, right?

Of course as a fan I'd like something new, but I'd rather have the album version of HN instead of that fucking edit that was on GHV2.

They should put the video version of that song on it anyway, it was released on the american promo and the aussie commercial single.

If a mix becomes a classic then I'm for it on a Greatest Hits collection - so the dance mix of Express Yourself is a superb addition and I prefer it to the original. However, the LAP remixes did not become real classics that crossed over to the mainstream. They should have had the 7" version with the guitar ending instead.

As for radio stations playing the IC versions, that's only because they are lazy updating their databases - they can just use one album instead of having a variety of albums stored.

The Confessions Tour mix of Erotica would be a great addition - it's not a non-fan favourite and the remix has proved a total hit on the tour so it would be great if that appeared.

I love how that sticker for TIC said the "original studio versions." Uh huh.

Anyhow, the best version of EY is the one used in the video (not the Shep dance mix, but the 7" mix). That's what should be on a career-spanning compilation.

I maintain that, despite some casuals being disappointed with TIC versions, it, overall, satisfies. Heck, I'm a diehard, and it still would be my one essential album to have, if I only got to have one. Most are not too far off the originals. M probably wanted to stay "current" with TIC- hence, some tracks that possibly may have a dated sound, didn't via TIC.

Guest Danny86
Anyhow, the best version of EY is the one used in the video (not the Shep dance mix, but the 7" mix). That's what should be on a career-spanning compilation.

That's my favourite version too. It would be so cool if they used that, but I still don't see it happening.

For some reason, that version of the video appeared on TIC DVD even though supposedly the Shep mix was the one in heavy rotation. About the DVD, it appears to be out of print on Amazon.com, would it mean there's a new video compilation in the works? Certifying 93:99 not long ago would make sense with a new edition coming up...