Madonna Greatest Hits: Hopefully Out By Fall

Q&A With Paul Oakenfold - Part 2

As promised last week, here are two more answers from Paul Oakenfold regarding his recent collaboration with Madonna. Make sure to check back on Thursday for Part 3!

Q: Would you describe a typical day spent with Madonna in the studio?

A: A typical day involved me going to the studio in the morning to make sure that everything was set up and ready for her when she would come in, finish the changes we had looked at the previous night and then we'd jump in to the new session with her in the afternoon.

Q: How different is it to co-produce a Madonna song from remixing an existing one?

A: It's a very different approach to producing from remixing. First and foremost, the artist is with you in the studio when you are producing and it's a direct creative process with the artist. When you are remixing you are left in the studio to come up with all your own ideas.

Q&A With Paul Oakenfold - Part 3

Time for us to unveil the third and last part of our quick Q&A with Mister Paul Oakenfold. Is "Paul the producer" to turn into "Paul the remixer" for Madonna's newly recorded songs? Just read on!

Q: Are you to create some remixes for one of the new songs?

A: Yes, I'll be doing 12" remixes on all the songs that we worked on in the studio.

Q: What's coming next for you?

A: We are preparing to do the big launch for my website, pauloakenfold.com as well as perfectorecords.com. We'll be tying it with a night at 'Rain' nightclub in Vegas where I currently do a residency.

Guest ursaminorjim

Riveting. Not only is the man a musical genius, he's a sparkling conversationali-:snore:

Q&A With Paul Oakenfold - Part 2

As promised last week, here are two more answers from Paul Oakenfold regarding his recent collaboration with Madonna. Make sure to check back on Thursday for Part 3!

Q: Would you describe a typical day spent with Madonna in the studio?

A: A typical day involved me going to the studio in the morning to make sure that everything was set up and ready for her when she would come in, finish the changes we had looked at the previous night and then we'd jump in to the new session with her in the afternoon.

Q: How different is it to co-produce a Madonna song from remixing an existing one?

A: It's a very different approach to producing from remixing. First and foremost, the artist is with you in the studio when you are producing and it's a direct creative process with the artist. When you are remixing you are left in the studio to come up with all your own ideas.

Q&A With Paul Oakenfold - Part 3

Time for us to unveil the third and last part of our quick Q&A with Mister Paul Oakenfold. Is "Paul the producer" to turn into "Paul the remixer" for Madonna's newly recorded songs? Just read on!

Q: Are you to create some remixes for one of the new songs?

A: Yes, I'll be doing 12" remixes on all the songs that we worked on in the studio.

Q: What's coming next for you?

A: We are preparing to do the big launch for my website, pauloakenfold.com as well as perfectorecords.com. We'll be tying it with a night at 'Rain' nightclub in Vegas where I currently do a residency.

:thumbsup:

Guest ursaminorjim
He's not quite LIL WAYNE in the INTELLECTUAL department, is he?

Not even close.

Well, at least there's no chance that his creative output will overwhelm Madonna's. :lol:

Guest immaculate sanctuary
anyone read the new ICON?

M states the collection will be out this spring

ooh! sounds good to me but spring is almost over, isn't it?

anyone read the new ICON?

M states the collection will be out this spring

The letter was posted by me here.

The spring thing is of course and error.Liz said in her Icon article that the collection will be out in the fall.

The letter was posted by me here.

The spring thing is of course and error.Liz said in her Icon article that the collection will be out in the fall.

thanks for clearing that up!!

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Danny86

anna_henstridge:

i confirm that what initially seemed like a full m song could be getting a guest appearance by lil wayne. let's see what happens, don't pre judge anything based on words, it could be very cool.

anna_henstridge:

i confirm that what initially seemed like a full m song could be getting a guest appearance by lil wayne. let's see what happens, don't pre judge anything based on words, it could be very cool.

:scared:

lil-wayne.jpg

anna_henstridge:

huh?...

I don't why anyone would think having a rapper add how cool he is and how hot Madonna is will add anything to a record... She's been there with HC already.

I'm still not familiar with Lil Wayne's work as he has failed to do anything in the UK.

The absolute worst case scenario is a GHV3 (meaning, covering just 2002-2009)- but, we've all kinda concluded that that won't happen.

Best case scenario is that it's a two-discer, at least, with great packaging and some cool bonus material in a deluxe edition.

Guest Danny86

Unless the tracks are newly remixed, or tour studio versions are used, I think it's a given that the TIC mixes will be included. Inevitable for "Holiday", "LAP" & "EY" at the very least.

Yeah, worst case would be a single disc covering her whole career, a #1s type album. Ugh. No way would 2002-2009 be appealing for anyone, completely pointless.

And if they do a two disc set, I did wonder if they would release a limited edition with an extra disc. Hopefully not one of remixes as she's been remixed to death already, but a bonus disc with extra hits, like they did for Elton John's last album.

Regional editions and different UK/US versions could be a best case I suppose for some, if they find an edition they prefer. It's just a pity they left it so late, as iPods have made it a bit redundant.

Yeah, worst case would be a single disc covering her whole career, a #1s type album.

That was the thinking initially when a GH was spoken of at the beginning of last year but the idea was scrapped. I heard that directly from someone at Warners in the UK.

Yeah, I never saw it as being single disc. At some point no doubt they'll also do a single disc #1s album, but not yet. They might do separate editions of it, would be nice if some thought was put into it. :grr:

WHY do we keep talking about it being a 1-cd GH album????

It's NOT going to be!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will you people please get a clue and think with your brain?????????

Umm? What is your source that it's not?? I've yet to hear either way.

Anyway, "worst case scenario"...

I agree that just including the songs from 2002-09 will most likely bomb unless the lead single and the follow up single are huge successes. And honestly, I am not sure it's possible because radio will have to be willing to play it. And to be realistic if it's just a track with Madonna's vocals, I doubt radio will play it. This is why if she's considering a guest rapper/vocal from another current artist, it may have a better chance. Fans may not like that, but it's true.

I have no objections to her using older tracks on the set. I mean; these are the songs people fell in love with. GH's used to be a great substitute for casual fans or non-fans to pick up rather specific albums, so no doubt they are hoping to hear some of their favorite tracks. If there is a new spin on them, it may not do as well.

However from a huge fan like myself... perspective... I rather it features some new mixes of the song. But we've seen those CD's from other artists and they don't usually do as well.

"Best Case Scenario"... they make a GH's set that will appeal to everyone and it creates a great interest and appreciation for Madonna again.

I think that Rhino (under the Warner Bros. umbrella) will likely have a hand in this collection as they did with other artists either on or leaving the Warner Bros. roster; Cher, Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac, k.d. lang... (didn't they all at one time belong to The Validator).

Rhino have an excellent track record, and best case scenario they decide(d) to rope in someone like Bill Inglot. He is hardcore regarding research, tracking down the original single and LP masters and then remasters them like few others are capable. Very gifted mastering engineer who would be an asset to any producer trying to assemble a collection of this magnitude. Sadly, Warner dropped him during budget cuts last year meaning he is no longer a contract player for Rhino, leaving him to work "freelance", but I believe he has still remastered several projects for the label since.

Guest dicktracy

George Michael and Whitney Houston had double GH albums; each with one CD for the slower songs and another for the more uptempo (Whitney's was full of remixes). I'm sure it's a double disc but I tend to like a chronological tracklist so I hope they don't copy them.