Madonna Greatest Hits: Hopefully Out By Fall

I'm not 100% sure who owns what.

"Mia Mind" owns (or did for many years) the three Otto von Wernherr collabortations (and all 314 glorious restructured, retitled offshoots.) The same company released --but may not legally own-- "Shine A Light," "Safe Neighborhood" and "Little Boy." These three made it out in inferior quality, edited and sped up... I'd suspect these actually belong to the Shamrock set.

The actual Shamrock tape(s) was auctioned off to a private owner, and if I'm not mistaken, with it went the rights to the recordings. Who knows, this may have been Warner Bros. or Madonna herself... but even if it were another party, the owner will likely wave it in their general direction. If that fails they'll probably allow Otto to remix it before licensing it out to a budget label. :wacko:

Stephen Bray has the rights to all of his early era demo recordings. He was able to release the set included on Pre-Madonna because they were recorded prior to her contract with Sire. The Emmy recordings likely fall into this category as well and therefore technically could be released. All of the other demo recordings post-1983 could be considered Warner Bros.' since she has been "theirs" ever since. They may not have the actual recordings in their vaults but can prevent anyone else from issuing them. Cutting a deal with Bray would likely be a very simple affair.

The Media Sound demos all leaked in pristine quality, but I am uncertain who owns them. Surely Steve-Fucking-Caraco doesn't hold the rights just because he has the tape, so whose are they? (Bastard also has that four track Emmy demo. I'd give almost anything to have "Love For Tender" and "Drowning" in excellent quality.)

Who knows what the Gilroy's are sitting on. They gave us a hint last year with that leaked sound collage based on Madonna's Hall Of Fame induction.

The point behind all of this is that very minor amounts of money would talk if someone who knew what they were doing was in charge at Warner Bros. They could pull together a comprehensive collection of her pre-fame material. The only reason this hasn't been pursued is likely Madonna herself... give them some time after her departure and we'll probably start seeing yearly vault releases. :lol:

As for this forthcoming release, I maintain it should be comprehensive but maintain a consumer friendly structure. We'll get our 48 CD retrospective in due time... let them do this one to hook the masses and bring the Immaculate Collection'ers up to date.

Guest BytheBay
No. Since day one this has been regarded as her final Warner Bros. release, intended to represent her recording career while on the label. That she's capping it off with new tracks pushes things forward, but this is going to rightfully reach way back to the Sire and Maverick recordings (all Warner Bros. subsidiaries.)

"Crazy For You" and "Gambler" on Geffen (not under the Warner umbrella) are the only off-label single release of her career thus far which makes a compilation of this magnitude, legally, a snap to compile. These have previously been licensed many times for Warner releases.

where? by who? i have seen nothing but internet rumors which mean nothing in regards to this gh...

i agree with dictracy...i would prefer a gh from the last few albums. i don't care to rehash the ancient past anymore. why? that's treading mj territory.

i would rather celebrate her last few albums and move on.

Guest Danny86

^That's true, everything about this GH has been pure speculation. It was just generally accepted that a GHV3 with 2002-2009 tracks would be a "flop" so the general consensus became that it would be a double disc career retrospective.

Maybe E! Online is actually correct and the compilation is really going to focus on the last 3 albums.

Somebody has to ask Guy Oseary on Twitter. :demonic:

Well I'm not sure if it's focused on last 3 albums but:

- 4 Minutes

- Give It 2 Me

- Miles Away

Must be there because of: Tour (Give It 2 Me) and Japan (Miles Away was the 2008 best selling song in Japan). Both songs were also airplay hits in Europe. By the way... the "Miles Away" song is still plays a lot on Portuguese radio and a couple of weeks ago was still #01 of requesting in some radios...

And if "The Beat Goes On" was released like in the next 60 days it would also become a HUGE HIT (at least in Europe)!

Die Another Day

American Life

Hollywood

Love Profusion

Hung Up

Sorry

Get Together

Jump

4 Minutes

Give It 2 Me

Miles Away

Those are 11 "recent" tracks. They can always add:

Holiday

Like A Virgin

La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer

Vogue

Erotica

Ray Of Light

Music

And 1 new song, that's 20 tracks. I like what I just did :chuckle: It "celebrates" the last 3 albums and it has nostalgia songs on it too. Would it sell or am I talking rubbish? :lol:

where? by who? i have seen nothing but internet rumors which mean nothing in regards to this gh...

^That's true, everything about this GH has been pure speculation.

Since her 20th anniversary the label has been trying to pull a career-spanning retrospective together. Stuart Price was green-lighted to digitize everything in the Warner Bros. vaults (which has also proven most helpful for his tour mixes). In an Q&A feature that eerily mirrors the current one by Oseary, former manager Caresse Henry was focused on assembling the "Ultimate Madonna" 20th anniversary retrospective for a winter 2003 release. Why the hell else do you think we ended up with "Your Honesty" on Remixed & Revisited?

This has been in the pipeline forever. She's leaving them. This will be a career-spanner.

Guest Pud Whacker
I'm not 100% sure who owns what.

"Mia Mind" owns (or did for many years) the three Otto von Wernherr collabortations (and all 314 glorious restructured, retitled offshoots.) The same company released --but may not legally own-- "Shine A Light," "Safe Neighborhood" and "Little Boy." These three made it out in inferior quality, edited and sped up... I'd suspect these actually belong to the Shamrock set.

The actual Shamrock tape(s) was auctioned off to a private owner, and if I'm not mistaken, with it went the rights to the recordings. Who knows, this may have been Warner Bros. or Madonna herself... but even if it were another party, the owner will likely wave it in their general direction. If that fails they'll probably allow Otto to remix it before licensing it out to a budget label. :wacko:

Stephen Bray has the rights to all of his early era demo recordings. He was able to release the set included on Pre-Madonna because they were recorded prior to her contract with Sire. The Emmy recordings likely fall into this category as well and therefore technically could be released. All of the other demo recordings post-1983 could be considered Warner Bros.' since she has been "theirs" ever since. They may not have the actual recordings in their vaults but can prevent anyone else from issuing them. Cutting a deal with Bray would likely be a very simple affair.

The Media Sound demos all leaked in pristine quality, but I am uncertain who owns them. Surely Steve-Fucking-Caraco doesn't hold the rights just because he has the tape, so whose are they? (Bastard also has that four track Emmy demo. I'd give almost anything to have "Love For Tender" and "Drowning" in excellent quality.)

Who knows what the Gilroy's are sitting on. They gave us a hint last year with that leaked sound collage based on Madonna's Hall Of Fame induction.

The point behind all of this is that very minor amounts of money would talk if someone who knew what they were doing was in charge at Warner Bros. They could pull together a comprehensive collection of her pre-fame material. The only reason this hasn't been pursued is likely Madonna herself... give them some time after her departure and we'll probably start seeing yearly vault releases. :lol:

As for this forthcoming release, I maintain it should be comprehensive but maintain a consumer friendly structure. We'll get our 48 CD retrospective in due time... let them do this one to hook the masses and bring the Immaculate Collection'ers up to date.

wow, youre good!!! :thumbsup:

as for the bolded, i agree to a certain extent that it should be consumer friendly but at the same time be more for fans. whenever beatles or elvis things get released, theres always unreleased songs, demos, and such. the new fan will adapt and that will be there introduction. the immaculate collection days are long gone.

Guest Danny86
Since her 20th anniversary the label has been trying to pull a career-spanning retrospective together. Stuart Price was green-lighted to digitize everything in the Warner Bros. vaults (which has also proven most helpful for his tour mixes). In an Q&A feature that eerily mirrors the current one by Oseary, former manager Caresse Henry was focused on assembling the "Ultimate Madonna" 20th anniversary retrospective for a winter 2003 release. Why the hell else do you think we ended up with "Your Honesty" on Remixed & Revisited?

This has been in the pipeline forever. She's leaving them. This will be a career-spanner.

From what I heard, when Caresse left, the whole idea of a box set was dropped and forgotten. Madonna never really wanted it.

Was that Stuart thing ever confirmed? I'm not sure he ever worked with old Madonna songs outside of tour context...

Guest dicktracy
Die Another Day

American Life

Hollywood

Love Profusion

Hung Up

Sorry

Get Together

Jump

4 Minutes

Give It 2 Me

Miles Away

Those are 11 "recent" tracks. They can always add:

Holiday

Like A Virgin

La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer

Vogue

Erotica

Ray Of Light

Music

And 1 new song, that's 20 tracks. I like what I just did :chuckle: It "celebrates" the last 3 albums and it has nostalgia songs on it too. Would it sell or am I talking rubbish? :lol:

It would sell. GHV2 sold and it was crap. Would it sell like TIC? No. Nothing will at this time anymore.

I chuckle at the idea of a GHV3 that only focuses on 2002 on up. Does anyone think that a tracklisting that features a bevy of more flops than hits is going to really compel buyers to snap it up? I'd maybe buy it, but I imagine it would probably feel to me the same way buying REMIXED & REVISITED did. More for fan loyalty than anything else.

So, having a career-spanning GH at this time will only highlight how her newer songs are weaker than her earlier material (my opinion and the opinion of a lot of people). In addition, Madonna has stayed relevant because she's been able to attract younger fans with her many eras. HC may not have pleased many older fans but it has garnered her a new breed of fans (and, yeah, they would want to buy her older stuff and that's why we have TIC and GHV2). I'm not being ageist when I say that tweens and teens may not be as interested in buying a CD with songs that came out 12 years before they were born. When they get older they'll realize that that's silly. I remember being a teen and I would have never considered buying something that came out in the 70's because I thought it was ancient. I love that stuff now but not until I was in college.

This new GH should be more like a "The Best of 2002 to 2009" of sorts since Greatest Hits would stretch the meaning of a hit song, I wouldn't mind if it had stuff from the 'Music' album and on. It could even start from ROL and on, in my opinion (some people consider this the time when the NEW Madonna was invented).

I think career-spanning Greatest Hits are only appropriate when your career is OVER. Madonna's is not. She doesn't need one yet.

So, you want them to release a collection consisting only of songs that in your opinion are weak. :lmao:

Then it's "She's still got it! Don't look back!". Then you suggest they reach as far back as 11 years to include half of what was already on GHV2. That's when the NEW MADONNA was born? The "new Madonna" of that era shed her skin in 1999 when that years' model was unveiled. No "new Madonna" has enjoyed a shelf life extending past its particular product/era. The current Madonna has more in common with Lucky Star than Ray Of Light. I'm confused as to why you would you suggest placement amongst her "mature/spiritual" Grammy Award Winning recordings if you're so worried about the "weaker" new material being perceived as inferior by a full scale retrospective.

Then you wax something about her musical relevance, which at this stage is minimal. Like it or not, she's lost much of it and it's an excellent time to remind people of what a force she can be via all the big hits she's released. That isn't to say she won't regain relevance (I'd never count her out), but she's going to have to pull off something spectacular with her next album... and this will involve staying out of the kiddie pool.

Guest Pud Whacker

i do think its ridiculous to do a ghv3. i mean seriously, there isnt that much to go on about. as i said, the days of the immaculate collection are over. nobody had that, nobody then and nobody since. where every single song was the hit of all hits. they even left some out.

again, i do believe it should pre-madonna until the new songs. make it big, make it wonderful. make it for the fans.

make an accompanying book, that spans the brilliance. from the girl who moved to new york, shot with freidlander, hung with warhol, went out with basquiat...make a brilliant piece.

From what I heard, when Caresse left, the whole idea of a box set was dropped and forgotten. Madonna never really wanted it.

Was that Stuart thing ever confirmed? I'm not sure he ever worked with old Madonna songs outside of tour context...

I forget where the info was released (or if it ever was) but i think it was from a MadonnaMad interview with Peter M

Kevin Reagan even did work for the design and packaging

A GH of material just from the last three albums would be weak- a career spanneris ideal, with her leaving the label and such. Heck, as much as I think a single-dsic career spanner wouldn't do her justice, it's preferable to a single disc focusing on 2002-2008.

Guest dicktracy
So, you want them to release a collection consisting only of songs that in your opinion are weak. :lmao:

Then it's "She's still got it! Don't look back!". Then you suggest they reach as far back as 11 years to include half of what was already on GHV2. That's when the NEW MADONNA was born? The "new Madonna" of that era shed her skin in 1999 when that years' model was unveiled. No "new Madonna" has enjoyed a shelf life extending past its particular product/era. The current Madonna has more in common with Lucky Star than Ray Of Light. I'm confused as to why you would you suggest placement amongst her "mature/spiritual" Grammy Award Winning recordings if you're so worried about the "weaker" new material being perceived as inferior by a full scale retrospective.

Then you wax something about her musical relevance, which at this stage is minimal. Like it or not, she's lost much of it and it's an excellent time to remind people of what a force she can be via all the big hits she's released. That isn't to say she won't regain relevance (I'd never count her out), but she's going to have to pull off something spectacular with her next album... and this will involve staying out of the kiddie pool.

First of all, weak is not the same as weaker. Anyway, that was my opinion and you didn't like it. I can live with that.

But I don't have to agree with the idea that her musical relevance is minimal (maybe if you live in the US). The woman has been at it for over 25 years and has still managed to have the 11th best selling album in the world! And didn't she receive an award for best selling American artist of 2008? Oh, but wait a minute! Sales do not determine relevance... Well, she was nominated for a Grammy, is that relevant? Well, but she lost... Hmm...

In the end, the GH will be whatever way they want it to be. If I like it I'll buy it. I just believe that if it was up to her it would not focus in the past. She's over it. *Absolutely no regrets*

Guest groovyguy
i do think its ridiculous to do a ghv3. i mean seriously, there isnt that much to go on about. as i said, the days of the immaculate collection are over. nobody had that, nobody then and nobody since. where every single song was the hit of all hits. they even left some out.

again, i do believe it should pre-madonna until the new songs. make it big, make it wonderful. make it for the fans.

make an accompanying book, that spans the brilliance. from the girl who moved to new york, shot with freidlander, hung with warhol, went out with basquiat...make a brilliant piece.

Agree!

Guest BytheBay

I don't understand everybody saying they won't buy it if its only the last few albums. Why would you buy it if its her whole career? You still have those same songs.

I hate retrospectives and all that hullabaloo. Its boring and ridiculous.

I really think, regardless of whatever rumors and ideas people have, its going to be the last few albums and thats it. Why would she put any effort into her last album with WB? Why would they spend any extra money on an artist leaving them?

Plus look at all the other artists/singers out there that put out greatest hits all the time, regardless of whether they will sell. Its not like they have much overhead, the production is already done. My god, Hillary Duff is out there pimping her shit and that fool hasn't had a hit ever. lol.

I just don't think it makes sense to have some huge career spanning retrospective. I think that is a pipe dream in her fans eyes.

If it's focused on the just the last few albums, it won't be an attractive sell to consumers. Why we're saying WB should want to maximize any potential there may be- if it doesn't care about it selling, then, sure, throw together material from the last three albums and release that.

It's definitely gonna be 1 disc GH with songs from her last 3 albums, don't forget, she's STILL has the control.

1. Die Another Day

2. American Life

3. Love Profusion

4. Nobody Knows Me

5. Hung Up

6. Sorry

7. Jump

8. Imagine

9. Hey You!

10. 4 Minutes

11. Give It 2 Me

12. Miles Away

13. New Track

14. New Track

I'm sure, horn. :) Tthat's winning tracklist right there- makes GHV2 look like The Immaculate Collection; then again, any tracklist covering 2002-2008 would.

(That is not to discredit GHV2, as it has some terrific songs on it)