Madonna Greatest Hits: Hopefully Out By Fall

I wouldn't count on territory-specific releases- not saying it couldn't happen (who would have thought she'd do a tour extension, after all), just that Madge didn't do it for TIC or GHV2. If it were a two-CD set, as long as the USA/overseas bigies are there, "American Pie" could be left off- not like anyone has longed for it since it was on the charts, nor is it an acclaimed track or anything.

Guest ursaminorjim

Okay, where is this Oakenfold rumor coming from? And please GOD let it be false. Please.

Pretty please.

With kaballah water on top.

Overall, this would be the most logical track list:

Disc 1:

1. Holiday

2. Like a Virgin

3. Material Girl

4. Crazy for You

5. Into the Groove

6. Live to Tell

7. Papa Don't Preach

8. True Blue

9. Open Your Heart

10. La Isla Bonita

11. Causing a Commotion

12. Who's That Girl

13. Like a Prayer

14. Express Yourself

15. Cherish

Disc 2:

1. Vogue

2. Justify My Love

3. This Used To Be My Playground

4. Erotica

5. Take a Bow

6. I'll Remember

7. Frozen

8. Ray of Light

9. American Pie

10. Music

11. Hung Up

12. Sorry

13. 4 Minutes

14. [new song]

15. [new song]

This includes all of Madonna's singles that have gone #1 in either the US or the UK, all US #2's, "Erotica" (# 3 in both the US and the UK) and "Ray of Light" (signature song).

Except "American Life", all of Madonna's albums are represented by at least one song.

Disc 1:

1. Holiday

2. Like a Virgin

3. Material Girl

4. Crazy for You

5. Into the Groove

6. Live to Tell

7. Papa Don't Preach

8. True Blue

9. Open Your Heart

10. La Isla Bonita

11. Causing a Commotion

12. Who's That Girl

13. Like a Prayer

14. Express Yourself

15. Cherish

Disc 2:

1. Vogue

2. Justify My Love

4. Erotica

5. Take a Bow

6. I'll Remember

7. Frozen

8. Ray of Light

9. American Pie

10. Music

11. Hung Up

12. Sorry

13. 4 Minutes

14. [new song]

15. [new song]

This includes all of Madonna's singles that have gone #1 in either the US or the UK, all US #2's, "Erotica" (# 3 in both the US and the UK) and "Ray of Light" (signature song).

Except "American Life", all of Madonna's albums are represented by at least one song.

yes this is very accurate and from American Life she can include Die Another Day (not exactly from the album but sort of).

Anyway she's not the retrospective type. I am ok with 1 disc post-Music (all remixed or changed a little like the Q Sound) with 2/3 new songs. it's more her.

Guest Danny86

Disc 1:

1. Holiday

2. Like a Virgin

3. Material Girl

4. Crazy for You

5. Into the Groove

6. Live to Tell

7. Papa Don't Preach

8. True Blue

9. Open Your Heart

10. La Isla Bonita

11. Causing a Commotion

12. Who's That Girl

13. Like a Prayer

14. Express Yourself

15. Cherish

Disc 2:

1. Vogue

2. Justify My Love

4. Erotica

5. Take a Bow

6. I'll Remember

7. Frozen

8. Ray of Light

9. American Pie

10. Music

11. Hung Up

12. Sorry

13. 4 Minutes

14. [new song]

15. [new song]

I think they'd easily choose "Secret" & "Die Another Day" over the 2 90s ballad hits. Also, hard to imagine only 1 song from the debut.

"Give It 2 Me" will be performed through the summer as the show closer, so I'd think Madonna would not allow it to be left out.

from the 80s -- whatever songs end up on this, she MUST include True Blue, *WTG*, CAC, Gambler, Burning Up or Everybody but not necessarily both, and even Oh Father -- one her lowest charting hits from her golden era, yet now considered an underated classic. Most of those songs have never been on a major Greatest Hits release from her.The first 3 songs I listed -- really, really need to be included on this somehow, as they were all w.w., beloved, mega hits-- songs that would clearly generate more interest/sales.

Assuming this is a career spanning GHs, I think most of the world can live w/out (even though technically they were 'hits' in some part of the world lol) -- KIT, Hanky Panky, WIFLFAG, Lucky Star, You Must Love Me/ DCFMA/ anything Evita lol (but if one song MUST to be included, obviously a radio edit of DCFMA should be the one), Nothing Really Matters, A.L., A.P., (huge ww #1, but blatantly one of her least 4gotten, least memorable big hit songs) and Rescue Me. Though, out all of those, def Rescue Me radio edit -- I think most fans love the most-- again, a classic hidden gem. From the 00's, no brainers -- she def should include radio edits of Music, DTM, Hollywood (nothing else from AL), *HU*, Sorry, DAD, 4M, GI2M, and if theres any extra room on the CD -- GT or Jump. All her other hits songs -- '80s--today, I didn't mention -- I pretty much expect they'll make the cut in some way or am just indfferent towards either way. But I just wanted to highlight the songs which I feel she should include and not include. All opinion

Take A Bow is an interesting one. Huge in the US, it tanked in the UK and is one of her lowest ranking singles along with Oh Father. Secret is the more likely choice as it was the lead single and has been performed live.

But no Q Sound please - I can't listen to TIC because of the awful sound production on that album. It's like she's singing in a barn.

^ agree...NO more q-sound or cheesy remixes -- just the REAL, *remastered* original or radio edit version . I also agree -- TAB is yawnfest, and not one of her best, at all -- but it was massive US and Canadian hit -- her longest #1 in the US. I personally couldnt care less -- but due to that fact alone, it really should be included. O.F. is a much, much better song in every way ( and in a sec, Id swap that for TAB), but it just wasnt as radio/single friendly as TAB. Secret -- another one that is pretty vapid imo, but like you said, it was a LEAD single and did respectably in most of the world, so it's something 99% will be on this compilation.

TAB did end up selling more than some UK top 10s, though. Any idea how it fared in UK airplay? (forget if it's included in that UK airplay chart info).

And TAB is NOT a yawnfest. Some people just can't get into it because it was Madonna working with an in-demand producer, which usually isn't her thing. It's a lovely track (especially the strings) and her delivery is very nice- probably not one of her most artistic ones, but I'd take it any day of the week over, say, "4 Minutes." (comparing it to another hot-and-in-demand-producer-collaboration track)

I don't see "Borderline" being left off- it's one of her biggest recurrent tracks in the USA, and it's well regarded. "Lucky Star" not as much, but that's also a classic.

Since this is the last thing WB will release with Madonna's involvement, I don't see why they don't just go all out and do a comprehsive collection that includes every top forty Hot 100 hit she ever had. If it has to be streteched into a multi-disc boxset, then so be it. I'd hate to see another hits collection released where real hits are again omitted. One of the many reasons I can't listen to TIC is because I find the exclusion of certain songs to be bogus. I also have no interest in remixes/reworkings either. I just want the version that was popular at the time. If it was a situation like "Borderline," "Express Yourself" and/or "Rain" where the single remix was the radio hit, then fine...but I hope she doesn't get all Madonna-y and decide to have someone tinker with what wasn't broken. Spare me a Price/Oakenfold reworking of "Like a Prayer." Not interested. But my main point here is that I think they, this time, should make an effort to include all of her hits, instead of selecting a tracklisting based on which they think still hold up better than others.

Guest ursaminorjim
And TAB is NOT a yawnfest. Some people just can't get into it because it was Madonna working with an in-demand producer, which usually isn't her thing. It's a lovely track (especially the strings) and her delivery is very nice- probably not one of her most artistic ones, but I'd take it any day of the week over, say, "4 Minutes." (comparing it to another hot-and-in-demand-producer-collaboration track)

Totally agree. From a purely technical standpoint, it's one of the most gorgeously crafted songs in her canon - it's almost Bachrachian in its scope and the way it has these subtly radical shifts going on, but never at the expense of the bittersweet tension that holds it together. But it's also one of her most purely heartfelt love songs, period. One of her finest preformances, made all the more bewitching by Babyface's intertwining vocal lines. It's a cold song that feels like a warm bath after a long week. It's like a beautiful piece of antique Italian lace that's been woven from dissolving sutures.

It's a must.

Guest Danny86

Agree with HG & ursa regarding "Take A Bow", a wonderful track indeed. If she decides to represent the "ballad years" with only one song, this should be the best one to go with.

"Secret" was pretty big in the US, Canada and several European countries, so I think it has to be included. On the other hand, it did quite poorly in the UK, it's not even among her 40 biggest UK hits (only "American Life" did worse among all of her lead-off singles) so if the tracklist is gonna differ with territories, then the UK version should have "Bedtime Story" from Bedtime Stories, considering all 4 singles sold practically the same in the UK and "Bedtime Story" peaked the highest...

guyoseary

sitting here at my home with paul oakenfold... he has yet to twitter.. do you guys have any questions for the greatest dj on earth????

about 2 hours ago from web

i showed paul every single message you guys sent.. thanks.. im kicking him out now.. so no more messages for paul..

about 8 minutes ago from web

Guest ursaminorjim
guyoseary

sitting here at my home with paul oakenfold... he has yet to twitter.. do you guys have any questions for the greatest dj on earth????

Oh, is James Murphy there too?

Exactly, ursa- I like your descriptive. I always said I loved the sarcastic tone of TAB- yet, the track sounds sweet and mournful.

danny, "Secret" peaked at No. 5 in the UK and didn't exactly nosedive, so I wouldn't say that's "quite poorly."

It would make far more sense for this collection to include the songs 2002-2008 than to shove a whole lot of old songs that already saw compilation release. Its likely IF it is 2 discs the one with older hits would only contain her most successful and well remembered hits.

Disc One: (chronological order)

1.Die another Day

2.American life

3.Hollywood

4.Nothing Fails

5.Love Profusion

6.Hung Up

7.Sorry

8.Get together

9.Jump

10.4 Minutes

11.Give It 2 Me

12.Miles away

13.New Song

14.New Song

disc 2: (Old hits)

1.Holiday

2.Like A Virgin

3.Material Girl

4.Live To tell

5.papa don't Preach

6.Like A Prayer

7.Express yourself

8.Vogue

9.Justify my love

10.This used To be My playground

11.Erotica

12.Secret

13.Take A Bow

14.Ray of Light

15.Music

I didnt add true blue because I doubt it'll ever be added onto a Madonna compilation if she has control over the track list. My list is jst imo but i jst thought about logical song choices for a comp release :)

Again, though, surely WB has to know that a single disc (whether as a single or part of a double) just focusing on 2002-2008 would be beyond weak- why a career spanner makes the most sense.

guyoseary

i showed paul every single message you guys sent.. thanks.. im kicking him out now.. so no more messages for paul..

about 8 minutes ago from web

confused....

is he producing new tracks?

is he remxing everything?

or remastering everything?

confused....

is he producing new tracks?

is he remxing everything?

or remastering everything?

Well, if that rumor from the DM board is true, he's producing. And since that rumor broke only a day or two before Guy leaked this info, I suppose it could be right.

I think M's collaborators often meet with her management before actually going into the studio with her. So who knows?