Madonna Greatest Hits: Hopefully Out By Fall

Very excited about the new songs. I wouldn't mind any producer as long as there are no:

a) duets and featured artists, Madonna only please

b) cover versions

Also I think it would be wrong to include remixes or studio versions of live performances. They should stick with the versions that the public is more familiar with.

Very excited about the new songs. I wouldn't mind any producer as long as there are no:

a) duets and featured artists, Madonna only please

b) cover versions

Also I think it would be wrong to include remixes or studio versions of live performances. They should stick with the versions that the public is more familiar with.

Was there already a rumored tracklisting from Guy's twitter?

Can someone share it please?

I have a feeling Burning Up will make it on the list. lol. Guy's favorite!

I love the list that Mattress compiled. Clearly alot of thought was put into it :thumbsup:

SORRY 3:59 (SINGLE EDIT)

Thicker harmonies on the choruses and an overall better mix in terms of clarity and balance. In all honesty I prefer the slightly shorter U.S.-only "Radio Version" only found on a scarce second issue promo CD single. It begins acappella with the robotic "I heard it all before" chant. This one seems to have slipped under most fans' radar.

Anyone care to post a review? :doofus:

Guest Danny86
if it's a shit collection... but if it is a great one, she'll easily pass that...

Even if it's double disc? And what is a good collection for Madonna? If it lifts too much tracks from TIC, then we'll have the excuse that people won't buy it again, if it includes many not-so-big hits like GHV2, we'll say nobody wants to own those tracks...

She could easily have put "Liquid Love" and "Like An Angel Passing Through My Room" on GHV2, as both were recorded before "Music" was released.

Neither would have made good singles, though. To put "new" songs on and not have made either a single would have seemed strange, but then again that GHV2 remix was a waste of time too.

E! speculates that it will be dominated by the last three studio albums. We can only hope not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E!Online

Madonna Planning Another Immaculate Collection

Los Angeles (E! Online) – She may not be touring with Britney Spears, but after eight years and three studio albums, Madonna is due for another greatest hits album.

The 50-year-old pop queen is heading into the studio shortly to create a few new tracks to tack onto the compilation, which will be her final outing with Warner Bros. Records. The set list has yet to be determined, but the disc is tentatively slated for release later this year.

"We're hoping to have a greatest hits package come out in September," the star's rep, Liz Rosenberg, said in a statement. "Madonna does have plans to record a few new songs for this album."

Madonna's previous greatest hits albums, the Immaculate Collection and GHV2, were released in 1990 and 2001, respectively. While there's no guarantee what songs will make the latest venture, it's a safe bet that it will be dominated by tracks from her three most recent albums, American Life, Confessions on a Dance Floor and Hard Candy.

As for what man she'll be dating come September, it's anyone's guess.

^ if so, than Im looking to 4ward to downloading the only hit that really matters -- the 2009-10 remastered version of Hung Up LOL! ;) Though I like many of the other songs from AL, COAD and HC, who, meaning non loon fans/ the mainstream casual fans, in their right mind -- even fans from "Europe" lol -- would wanna spend $10-$20+ on a compilation from 3 albums -- 2 which were virtual disasters (sales, charts and popularity wise)?? That would make GHV2 seem like the Immaculate Collection, far as quality and worth any point in being released lol. This can't possibly be true. Warner couldnt be that stupid -- theyd make no $$$ -- and at this point they gotta know including a lot of her earlier stuff is what would make the release logical or *profitable* in any way .

The point I am continually having to make is that--however you feel about them--the versions listed above are the single/hit versions and should be preserved as such on an official release, especially for the sake of those '80s hits. They helped define a decade and should be on CD in original form.

I agree--especially about the 7" versions of "Like a Prayer" and "Express Yourself."

However, I would make two exceptions--for "Vogue" and "Ray of Light." In those cases, I believe that the longer album versions are not only better, but also the more definitive versions (the ones that I remember being played more, especially given that the video and thus album versions of these two were so central to their cultural presence).

How many tracks are we thinking there'll be?

Maybe she'll re-record left over HC tracks with new producers or maybe even older demos will be re-worked (lol maybe Dear Father,Liquid Love, Pipeline, Across the sky, Triggering etc...) I mean Hollywood was re-worked 2 before it appearded on any album of hers (I Love that song :D)

Oakenfold working for her new material could be killer. I can smell it.

Me too. Many seem quick to throw him on the heap, but I love his remix of "Give It 2 Me" - I think it's better than the original. Also, his Bunkka album is fantastic. He's actually quite versatile for a DJ.

Giving this some further thought they need to reduce to a one disc release with no new songs and maybe 10 or 11 in total. Tracklisting:

1. Miles Away (her most recent and therefore best known hit)

2. Love Profusion (because most people have never heard of it so they should buy the album)

3. Nothing Fails (as above)

4. Gambler (forgotten early gem)

5. Look of Love (as above)

6. One More Chance (....to be heard)

7. Oh Father (so they can re-release AGAIN)

8. Keep It Together (major US hit)

9. Love Don't Live Here Anymore (another popular re-release option)

10. Another Suitcase in Another Hall (her most successful film role so bung this one in)

11. 4 Minutes - radio remix instrumental (one for the fans)

I am certain Warners will take this on board.

Twilight was out on November 21 2008... The soundtrack was released on November 4th. It was released by Warner. :dramatic:

New Moon Is gonna be out on November 20 2009! :dramatic:

Guest dicktracy
^ if so, than Im looking to 4ward to downloading the only hit that really matters -- the 2009-10 remastered version of Hung Up LOL! ;) Though I like many of the other songs from AL, COAD and HC, who, meaning non loon fans/ the mainstream casual fans, in their right mind -- even fans from "Europe" lol -- would wanna spend $10-$20+ on a compilation from 3 albums -- 2 which were virtual disasters (sales, charts and popularity wise)?? That would make GHV2 seem like the Immaculate Collection, far as quality and worth any point in being released lol. This can't possibly be true. Warner couldnt be that stupid -- theyd make no $$$ -- and at this point they gotta know including a lot of her earlier stuff is what would make the release logical or *profitable* in any way .

Being the 11th best selling album worldwide is hardly a disaster for Hard Candy. It wasn't a True Blue or COADF smash hit but it was still big (unless you think the US is the only market in the world). Anyway, I think it's silly to think that people will only buy a Madonna compilation if it contains her earlier stuff (a.k.a. 80's hits). If anyone wants these songs they can buy The Immaculate Collection. It makes sense to include more of her latest hits even if they were not as massive as her 80's songs. I do agree that it should include some hits from every decade but it should showcase her newer sounds since her latest albums have not been in any of her 'greatest hits' albums before. I personally don't think it will be a single disc if it is meant to be an all encompassing collection. However, if it were to be a single disk, l would envision something like this list. I don't think that it would be these songs in particular but I would think that it should showcase her past sounds.

1. Burning Up - The Reggie Lucas sound (and possibly Madonna's only officially released song that she had written and performed long before being signed to Sire Records).

2. Holiday (7" Edit) - The John Jellybean Benitez sound (and the first official hit).

3. Like a Virgin (- the Nile Rodgers sound (and her first number one, worldwide smash hit).

4. Into The Groove (Single Version) - the Stephen Bray sound (and arguably her greatest 80's dance record).

5. Like a Prayer (7" Edit) - the Pat Leonard sound (and arguably her best single ever).

6. Vogue (Album Version) - the Shep Pettibone sound (and arguably her greatest 90's dance record).

7. Secret (Edit) - the Dallas Austin sound

8. Ray of Light (Edit) - the William Orbit sound

9. Music - the Mirwais sound

10. Die Another Day (Edit)

11. American Life (Edit)

12. Hung Up (Edit)

13. Sorry (Radio Edit)

14. Get Together (Edit)

15. 4 Minutes

16. Give It 2 Me

17. New Song

18. New Song

Whether one would find this a good or bad collection is relative. But it does show how her music evolved up until now (even if in a very concise and incomplete way). And of course, if it's a double CD, then it MUST include Dress You Up and Who's That Girl.

Maybe "Can't You See My Mind" will finally see the light of day. Since it was the song that was originally planned for Die Another Day, chances are that it could be an epic ballad of some sort. I doubt this will ever happen but since it's the one unreleased track in her catalog that I'm dying to hear the most I'm holding out hope :p

Guest dicktracy
Maybe "Can't You See My Mind" will finally see the light of day. Since it was the song that was originally planned for Die Another Day, chances are that it could be an epic ballad of some sort. I doubt this will ever happen but since it's the one unreleased track in her catalog that I'm dying to hear the most I'm holding out hope :p

I know! We'll probably have to wait till she's dead to get a release of all of her unreleased songs officially. If this is going to be a single disc (I hope not) then it would be nice to do it how U2 did it with a limited edition version containing a special B-sides disc released on the same date as the single-disc version.

I compiled the following. Note the disc times indicated below, this is using the official single version. In my opinion, the following would be the most logical tracklisting for the US market.

Disc One (79:48)

Her entire (amazing) run of consecutive Top 5 singles 1984-1989 (this was broken by "Oh Father" in late 1989 which stalled at #20), plus "Holiday" (#16) and "Into The Groove" (NC) which are signature songs and her two biggest recurrent airplay hits.

1. Holiday

2. Borderline

3. Lucky Star

4. Like A Virgin

5. Material Girl

6. Crazy For You

7. Angel

8. Into The Groove

9. Dress You Up

10. Live To Tell

11. Papa Don't Preach

12. True Blue

13. Open Your Heart

14. La Isla Bonita

15. Who's That Girl

16. Causing A Commotion

17. Like A Prayer

18. Express Yourself

19. Cherish

Disc Two (73:18, leaving nearly 7 minutes for two new tracks)

A concise, no-fat representation of her biggest and best known (stateside) '90s and '00s output, with room for two new tracks.

1. Vogue

2. Justify My Love

3. This Used To Be My Playground

4. Erotica

5. Deeper And Deeper

6. I'll Remember

7. Secret

8. Take A Bow

9. You'll See

10. Frozen

11. Ray Of Light

12. Beautiful Stranger

13. Music

14. Don't Tell Me

15. Die Another Day

16. Hung Up

17. 4 Minutes

18. [new song]

19. [new song]

Thoughts upon listening to this: This is a decent representation. All of the '80s hits are there. It actually has a nice flow and runs like an up to date Immaculate Collection. All of her #1 singles are included, as are all but four of her post-1990 US top 10's ("Keep It Together," "Hanky Panky," "Rescue Me" and "Don't Cry For Me Argentina.") Before the announcement of new material, "DCFMA" would have without question made the tracklisting, but for time reasons it was the obvious choice to be dropped as the only "cover" song in the lot. I like the idea of this two CD retrospective being "all Madonna."

Anyway, another argument for single versions: we'd have to lose at least 2 songs per disc if the album versions were used.

This would be trickier for the UK. For one, #1 singles "Sorry" and "American Pie" (damn it, a cover) would have to be included. Anyone want to take a stab at it?

I compiled the following. Note the disc times indicated below, this is using the official single version. In my opinion, the following would be the most logical tracklisting for the US market.

Her entire (amazing) run of consecutive Top 5 singles 1984-1989 (this was broken by "Oh Father" in late 1989 which stalled at #20), plus "Holiday" (#16) and "Into The Groove" (NC) which are signature songs and her two biggest recurrent airplay hits.

1. Holiday

2. Borderline

3. Lucky Star

4. Like A Virgin

5. Material Girl

6. Crazy For You

7. Angel

8. Into The Groove

9. Dress You Up

10. Live To Tell

11. Papa Don't Preach

12. True Blue

13. Open Your Heart

14. La Isla Bonita

15. Who's That Girl

16. Causing A Commotion

17. Like A Prayer

18. Express Yourself

19. Cherish

A concise, no-fat representation of her biggest and best known (stateside) '90s and '00s output, with room for two new tracks.

1. Vogue

2. Justify My Love

4. Erotica

5. Deeper And Deeper

6. I'll Remember

7. Secret

8. Take A Bow

9. You'll See

10. Frozen

11. Ray Of Light

12. Beautiful Stranger

13. Music

14. Don't Tell Me

15. Die Another Day

16. Hung Up

17. 4 Minutes

18. [new song]

19. [new song]

Thoughts upon listening to this: This is a decent representation. All of the '80s hits are there. It actually has a nice flow and runs like an up to date Immaculate Collection. All of her #1 singles are included, as are all but four of her post-1990 US top 10's ("Keep It Together," "Hanky Panky," "Rescue Me" and "Don't Cry For Me Argentina.") Before the announcement of new material, "DCFMA" would have without question made the tracklisting, but for time reasons it was the obvious choice to be dropped as the only "cover" song in the lot. I like the idea of this two CD retrospective being "all Madonna."

Anyway, another argument for single versions: we'd have to lose at least 2 songs per disc if the album versions were used.

This would be trickier for the UK. For one, #1 singles "Sorry" and "American Pie" (damn it, a cover) would have to be included. Anyone want to take a stab at it?

Pretty nice I must say, but I don't think WB plans to leave out "Sorry" "Get Together" and "Jump", or "Give It To Me", at least. They could drop "This Used to Be My Playground" and "Beautiful Stranger", if they want more space for the rest.

Guest dicktracy

1. Holiday

2. Borderline

3. Lucky Star

4. Like A Virgin

5. Material Girl

6. Crazy For You

7. Angel

8. Into The Groove

9. Dress You Up

10. Live To Tell

11. Papa Don't Preach

12. True Blue

13. Open Your Heart

14. La Isla Bonita

15. Who's That Girl

16. Causing A Commotion

17. Like A Prayer

18. Express Yourself

19. Cherish

1. Vogue

2. Justify My Love

4. Erotica

5. Deeper And Deeper

6. I'll Remember

7. Secret

8. Take A Bow

9. You'll See

10. Frozen

11. Ray Of Light

12. Beautiful Stranger

13. Music

14. Don't Tell Me

15. Die Another Day

16. Hung Up

17. 4 Minutes

18. [new song]

19. [new song]

I agree that Sorry and Give It 2 Me should be included. I would avoid having every song from The Immaculate Collection. Worldwide, over 22 million people already own that, almost half of that in the US alone. I tend to think that it's time to highlight her newer material. I expressed my ideas earlier in this post:

I think some of these list are focusing too much on her early hits. While I agree that most of her big hits were in the 80's, for a career spanning compilation we would need to stretch a bit the concept of a hit song. Plus, if someone wants her 80's hits then they can buy TIC...

Anyway, I came up with some rules to be 'democratic' with this tracklist. First, all proper albums MUST be represented and must have at least 2 singles listed. Second, at least one single from each of her soundtrack contributions must be present (that is to fully represent all her stages). Lastly, no singles used to promote previous compilations can be used in order to maintain their 'value' to non-fans (that would include songs like Spotlight, JML, Rescue Me, You'll See, OMC, and LDLHA).

With that in mind, this is what comes out:

DISC ONE:

1. Holiday

2. Lucky Star

3. Like A Virgin

4. Material Girl

5. Crazy For You

6. Into The Groove

7. Dress You Up

8. Live To Tell*

9. Papa Don't Preach

10. True Blue

11. Open Your Heart

12. La Isla Bonita

13. Who's That Girl

14. Causing A Commotion

15. Like A Prayer

16. Express Yourself

17. Vogue

18. This Used To Be My Playground

DISC TWO:

1. Erotica

2. Deeper and Deeper

3. I'll Remember

4. Secret

5. Take A Bow

6. You Must Love Me

7. Frozen

8. Ray Of Light

9. Beautiful Stranger

10. American Pie*

11. Music

12. Don't Tell Me

13. Die Another Day*

14. American Life

15. Hung Up

16. Sorry

17. 4 Minutes

18. Give It To Me

*These songs were in a soundtrack previous to the release of their respective albums. American Pie was excluded from the US version of Music.

The 13 songs underlined are not present in TIC and GHV2. Some people will object to not having Borderline or Cherish. I omitted these in order to introduce Dress You Up and Causing a Commotion. If I had to ommit CAC I would reinstate Borderline. P.S.: All her UK/US #1's are represented with the exception of Justify My Love for the reasons mentioned above.

With two new songs in mind, I would probably have to drop 2 songs... so I would pick "American Pie" since Madonna hates it and "You Must Love Me" because it kind of feels out of place.