The Official UK Charts Thread

thebigham

Barbra - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously, I guess she had a good bump from Jonathan Ross on Friday though Madonna's sales have just collapsed considering what she sold on Friday and Saturday. I don't get it.

Streisand bids to hold off Madonna Celebration

10:32 | Tuesday October 6, 2009

By Paul Williams

Two of the most successful female artists of all time are in a battle to top this coming Sunday’s UK albums chart, with just several hundred sales separating Barbra Streisand and Madonna.

A Jonathan Ross special screened with Streisand last Friday has helped sales of her current Columbia album Love Is The Answer lift by around 44% week on week as she looks to achieve her first UK chart-topper with a new studio set since 1980’s Guilty. Her number ones since then have been retrospectives: 1982’s Love Songs and The Essential Barbra Streisand 20 years later.

However, Madonna is not too far behind at this stage of the week with her Warner best of Celebration and could well recapture the number one crown taken from her last week by Paramore’s Fueled By Ramen/Atlantic album Brand New Eyes.

Island signings Mumford & Sons are likely to claim highest new entry honours with their album Sigh No More presently among the week’s biggest sellers, while veteran rockers Kiss also look poised for the Top 10 with the newly-issued Roadrunner/Warner album Sonic Boom.

At least half a dozen other brand new albums should debut in the Top 40 at the weekend, among them new retrospectives from Chris Rea (Rhino/Warner) and Andy Williams (Sony) and new studio albums from Tiesto, who is signed to Musical Freedom, Jive/RCA’s Backstreet Boys and Virgin’s Air.

Jive act Chipmunk is strongly placed to debut at one on the singles chart with Oopsy Daisy, which is currently outselling its two nearest rivals combined: Fascination/Polydor act Saturdays’ brand new single Forever Is Over and the Roc Nation/Atlantic-issued Empire State Of Mind by Jay-Z featuring Alicia Keys. Island act Taio Cruz, who secured a third week at one last Sunday with Break Your Heart, is the next biggest seller.

Whitney Houston is on course for her first Top 40 hit in nearly seven years with the Arista/RCA release Million Dollar Bill, while expect a number of double-digit climbers within the 40, including from Epic’s Daughtry, Island’s Tinchy Stryder and Atlantic’s Jason Mraz whose long-running I’m Yours’ sales have almost doubled from last week after X Factor contestant Lloyd Daniels performed it. Meanwhile, 4AD act The Big Pink should make the Top 40 for the first time with their new single Dominos.

The full midweek singles and albums charts are on Musicweek.com.

collapsed? u should bear in mind that it is on its third week... and with just 500 copies lagging from #1, it is worthy of applause actually...

Of course it is worthy of applause position wise, my post was specific to the 50% sales drop off Sunday and Monday compared to Friday and Saturday. Perhaps sales are missing? Hoping Madonna has a great Friday and Saturday again this coming week and recaptures number 1.

The Streisand interview was also broadcast on Sunday night.

Warners seem to have pulled the ads for Celebration - had they been included in the X Factor show on Sunday she'd definitely be number 1 again. So many promotional opportunities coming up over the next few weeks and no word of any plans to appear on them.

...and they keep playing Celebration as a back drop to some X factor/ Xtra Factor segments too. Don't think they ever used to play Madonna previously so hoping this is a sign for some future appearance/ promotion.

...and they keep playing Celebration as a back drop to some X factor/ Xtra Factor segments too. Don't think they ever used to play Madonna previously so hoping this is a sign for some future appearance/ promotion.

The played it on the first show back in August - shame it wasn't available for download.

The guests are appearing on the Sunday night shows this year so there's no guarantee there'll be a Madonna week, even if she does appear.

It would be good if she'd do CIN and SCD as well - I can live without any interviews - just performances please.

If B is number one she will have the Longest Span Of Album Chart-Toppers again, M only overtook her when Celebration went to number 1,

The Streisand interview was also broadcast on Sunday night.

Warners seem to have pulled the ads for Celebration - had they been included in the X Factor show on Sunday she'd definitely be number 1 again. So many promotional opportunities coming up over the next few weeks and no word of any plans to appear on them.

Its all gone a bit quite on the "Madonna appearing on the X Factor" hasn't it? Makes you wonder if its going to actually happen. If she doesn't go on the show then it will show she really can't be arsed with Celebration. Warners are missing golden oppourtunities to show the Celebration ads during the X Factor breaks. Robbie Williams and Alexandra are on this week. Both should see a massive jump in sales.

Guest Danny86

Its all gone a bit quite on the "Madonna appearing on the X Factor" hasn't it? Makes you wonder if its going to actually happen. If she doesn't go on the show then it will show she really can't be arsed with Celebration. Warners are missing golden oppourtunities to show the Celebration ads during the X Factor breaks. Robbie Williams and Alexandra are on this week. Both should see a massive jump in sales.

I've heard it all before, when it was in doubt that Madonna would record new songs for Celebration or not.

I still don't see why people think Madonna is supposed to care about this GH any more than she does, not even MJ used to promote his GH's that much even though he's infamous for rehash and self-celebratory.

The X-Factor appearance was always rumoured for November, and we can't know for sure if she's going to perform. Like I said in another thread recently, she's not able to perform the 2 new songs live, so if she mimes, it will be a meltdown here that she does it like Britney on a talent show. As for doing old songs, they would be watered down versions from the tour (which I don't find that exciting on paper), but personally I can't see her doing only old stuff.

If she does appear, it will be for the sake of Madonna being there and not Celebration promo.

Oh and loomer said possibly the reason why Mariah's album was pushed to November in the UK is because she's going to appear on X-Factor, so it's likely they chose Mariah over Madonna in the end.

I can't believe how well the album is doing! I never thought it would do as well as it is currently doing! Yes they could hlp more by showing ads during X Factor breaks, it would be great and Madonna herself..just one appearence would keep this album going even further!

I've heard it all before, when it was in doubt that Madonna would record new songs for Celebration or not.

I still don't see why people think Madonna is supposed to care about this GH any more than she does, not even MJ used to promote his GH's that much even though he's infamous for rehash and self-celebratory.

The X-Factor appearance was always rumoured for November, and we can't know for sure if she's going to perform. Like I said in another thread recently, she's not able to perform the 2 new songs live, so if she mimes, it will be a meltdown here that she does it like Britney on a talent show. As for doing old songs, they would be watered down versions from the tour (which I don't find that exciting on paper), but personally I can't see her doing only old stuff.

If she does appear, it will be for the sake of Madonna being there and not Celebration promo.

Oh and loomer said possibly the reason why Mariah's album was pushed to November in the UK is because she's going to appear on X-Factor, so it's likely they chose Mariah over Madonna in the end.

A) Why couldn't she perform 'Celebration' live?

B) Of course her being there would be 'Celebration' promo. It would almost certainly be combined with a 'Madonna week' which is a no-brainer in terms of promotion for a greatest hits.

C) Mariah was on last year. I really doubt they would have her back again so soon, especially as her appearance last year had very little impact and she hasn't sold any records in the UK for a very long time. And given that the live shows run from next week until the end of the year, I find it rather difficult to believe that they would bump Madonna to fit in someone else.

Celebration sounds too auto-tuned and mixed to be able to performed live well. I would hate for her to go on and then mime.

Dont X-factor always have the same guests over and over again - Take that, Leona, Girls Aloud have been on a couple of times.

Mariah is perfect for X-factor - it appears to be a good setting for strong vocalists. Do you think X-factor will have Whitney? Its an excellent place for her to pick up from.

I cant imagine Madonna mingling with Dannii minouge, cheryl cole and all those chavs that appear. X-factor would be good for her especially if they did a madonna evening - theres a lot of young people who have never heard classic pop sogs like Like a Virgin etc. I have heard so many young people playing Jacksons 80's songs since he died. Theres a lot for people to learn wit regards to pop culture. If they wont like her songs then those videos would be an inspiration for sure?

Radio Airplay:

5 12 Whitney Houston Million Dollar Bill

Excellent climb for Witney. I have heard it on radio a few times. The UK has always been more pro-Whitney than Mariah. Is MDB out this week?

6 7 Alexandra Burke Bad Boys

Hope ths does not go to no1. She has no chance of being the next Leona.

7 4 Madonna Celebration

Still high even though Radio 1 dropped it 2 weeks ago. Its actually higher than the sales position. UK Radio have supported it a lot. It has spent 6-8 weeks in the top 10.

8 30 Cheryl Cole Fight For This Love

WHAT A CRAP SONG!

9 3 Robbie Williams Bodies

Falling already?

10 11 Beyonce Sweet Dreams

i hear this alot but i have never Heard Celebration.

21 21 Lady Gaga Lovegame

Has this been released fully? Its falling on the sales chart.

22 45 Jordin Sparks SOS (Let The Music Play)

I do like it but its no match for the original! Wonder if Shannon will have a resurrection because o this?

i would dearly love to see "Celebration" reclaim the top spot. She was so close last week. A little bit of promo on behalf of Madonna and a bit more from WBR would have been enough for No.1 last week.

Mariah is perfect for X-factor - it appears to be a good setting for strong vocalists.

:lmao: honey, what vocalist ???? Barbra is a vocalist, Mariah is just a whisperer nowadays.

Wednesday mids are in, Babs has extended her lead but still not much in it.

Singles

1 Chipmunk 46.9k

2 Saturdays 21.2k

3 Jay-Z ft. Alicia Keys 18.1k

4 Taio Cruz 16.6k

5 David Guetta ft. Akon 14.4k

Top 10

Temper Trap

Pitbull

Top 15

Daughtry

Tinchy Stryder - YNA

Jordin Sparks

Top 30

Whitney Houston

Mumford & Sons

Jason Mraz

Daniel Merriweather

Top 40

Big Pink

Lady GaGa (Paparazzi)

==================================

Albums

1 Barbra Striesand 12.3k

2 Madonna 11k

3 Paramore 8.6k

4 Mumford & Sons 8.3k

5 Muse 7.5k

Top 10

Jay-Z

Top 15

Kings of Leon

Kiss

Chris Rea

Top 20

Andy Williams

Deadmau5

Tiesto

Top 30

Temper Trap

Air

Top 40

Backstreet Boys

Nerina Pallot

Daniel Merriweather

38 Pink

Celebration sounds too auto-tuned and mixed to be able to performed live well. I would hate for her to go on and then mime.

Dont X-factor always have the same guests over and over again - Take that, Leona, Girls Aloud have been on a couple of times.

Mariah is perfect for X-factor - it appears to be a good setting for strong vocalists. Do you think X-factor will have Whitney? Its an excellent place for her to pick up from.

I cant imagine Madonna mingling with Dannii minouge, cheryl cole and all those chavs that appear. X-factor would be good for her especially if they did a madonna evening - theres a lot of young people who have never heard classic pop sogs like Like a Virgin etc. I have heard so many young people playing Jacksons 80's songs since he died. Theres a lot for people to learn wit regards to pop culture. If they wont like her songs then those videos would be an inspiration for sure?

There is nothing about 'Celebration' that is particularly demanding vocally. As for the guests, there are hardly any that have repeated - Take That are the biggest pop group in the country, Leona came from the show and Girls Aloud came from a sister show and contain one of the judges. So they're hardly representative examples.

It's just stupid to suggest that X Factor would choose Mariah Carey again over the most successful woman in UK chart history who has never appeared on the show before.