The Official UK Charts Thread

thebigham

Guest AntiVirgin

his commentary on psb is bang on ! even if they had released pandemonium, more than a dream or all around the world..which are the most uptempo and commerical from Yes, they would have still stalled. it really is sad :(

The problem I think with the PSBs lack of steady sales is that they are not sexy rock stars. There 80s teen appeal has waned whilst the quality of their music has only slightly declined with occasional rises (e.g. Fundamental). Neil Tennants voice is not great either. Unlike certain female popstars it seems impossible for them to reinvent themselves to engage with current trends.

That said....Yes is NUMBER 1 in the midweek chart!!!! Ronan is just over 1k behind. They would be 3.5k ahead if their album was not released a few days early by fucking itunes!:

Top 40 Only

Singles

1 Lady GaGa

2 Flo Rida

3 Taylor Swift

4 Beyonce

5 Noisettes

Top 10

AR Rahman/PCD

Top 15

Metro Station

Top 20

Lily Allen (Not Fair)

Top 30

K.I.G.

Franz Ferdinand

Enrique/Ciara

Top 40

White Lies

==================================================

Albums

1 Pet Shop Boys (1,200 ahead)

2 Ronan Keating

3 Kings Of Leon

4 Lady GaGa

5 Annie Lennox

Top 10

Lily Allen

Kelly Clarkson

Prodigy

Top 15

Taylor Swift

Akon

Top 20

Royksopp

Beyonce

Mastodon

Top 30

Alesha

Elbow

Papa Roach

Pearl Jam

Killers

Enrique Iglesias

Top 40

The Decemberists

Script

Chris Cornell

Here is the Music Week report:

Pet Shop Boys eye first chart topper since 1993

10:41 | Tuesday March 24, 2009

By Paul Williams

Pet Shop Boys are facing a close battle with Ronan Keating as they look to score their first number one album in the UK in more than 15 years.

The duo’s new Parlophone-issued album Yes is presently around 1,200 units ahead of Keating’s Polydor release Songs For My Mother, according to early retail reports, but the story is made more complicated by the PSB album having accidentally ended up on iTunes three days early last week.

It is understood around 2,500 sales of the album achieved on the Apple site following its premature release there last Friday will not count towards this coming week’s chart as they will be recognised as sales from last week instead.

Pet Shop Boys, who won the outstanding contribution award at this year’s Brits, have only topped the albums chart once before. Very reached number one in October 1993.

With her latest single Not Fair set to move into the Top 20 of the singles chart this week, Lily Allen’s album It’s Not Me, It’s You is expected to return to the artist albums Top 10 this coming Sunday. Prodigy’s album Invaders Must Die, released on their Take Me To The Hospital label through Cooking Vinyl, is also vying for a Top 10 return.

Outside the 10, Royksopp’s new Wall of Sound album Junior will lead a clutch of new entries that will also include releases from Warner Bros’s Mastodon, Interscope/Polydor’s Papa Roach, Rough Trade’s Decemberists and Interscope/Mosley/Polydor’s Chris Cornell. Seventeen years after it first charted, Pearl Jam’s Ten is set to return to the Top 40 for Columbia in an enhanced version.

On the singles chart Interscope/Polydor’s Lady GaGa will again face its main challenge from Atlantic’s Flo Rida track Right Round for the number one position. Vertigo/Mercury’s Noisettes are expected to be the chart’s highest new entry with Don’t Upset The Rhythm (Go Baby Go) targeting a top five debut, while the Interscope/Polydor release Jai Ho (You Are My Destiny) by AR Rahman featuring the Pussycat Dolls is likely to leap into the Top 10 from its present chart position of 20.

Source: MW

It would be great to see PSB at number one, but I´m afraid it´s not going to happen: they are number 1 right now because all the die hard fans went to buy the album the first day: I think they will end at number 4, which is not bad at all

Even at their heyday a No1 album was not easy for PSB. Their first and only one so far was Very. Love etc. is an exceptional track and I really don't understand why it couldn't be a mainstream pop hit. I hope both the single and the album linger on for a healthy chart run.

Some sales have been released too. Hopefully Ronan Cunting will suffer a decline through the week bigger than PSBs. Sales generally have dropped from last week so the number 1 position is there for the taking:

1 YES PET SHOP BOYS (11.6k)

2 SONGS FOR MY MOTHER Ronan Keating (10.4k)

3 ONLY BY THE NIGHT KINGS OF LEON (7.8k)

4 THE FAME LADY GAGA (7.3k)

5 THE COLLECTION ANNIE LENNOX (6.5k)

Such a shame that PSB have lost 2500 sales this week due to itunes fucking up.

PSB no1?

What will they be the following week? I cant see the PSB selling too much. The novelty factor of their Brits win will wear off soon.

Annie Lennox is also going strong. I thought that would fall of the top 10 after a week. Did nt Eurythmics have a massive GH back in the early 90's?

PSB no1?

What will they be the following week? I cant see the PSB selling too much. The novelty factor of their Brits win will wear off soon.

Annie Lennox is also going strong. I thought that would fall of the top 10 after a week. Did nt Eurythmics have a massive GH back in the early 90's?

Im glad for Annie, I think it will be a good seller. I was neer a big fun of PSB, only own the PopArt double CD which is very good, but not studio albums. I hope they go num 1 too

Wednesday Update Top 40 Only

Singles

1 Lady GaGa

2 Flo Rida

3 Noisettes

4 Taylor Swift

5 Beyonce

Top 10

6 AR Rahman/PCD

10 La Roux

Top 15

Metro Station

15 Steve Angelo & Laidback Luke/Robin S

Top 20

17 Lily Allen (Not Fair)

K.I.G.

Top 30

Franz Ferdinand

26 Enrique/Ciara

Top 40

White Lies

Albums

1 Pet Shop Boys (15.6k)

2 Ronan Keating (14.3k)

3 Kings Of Leon (11.2k)

4 Lady GaGa (10.5k)

5 Annie Lennox (9.5k)

Albums

1 - Ronan (leading by 310 copies and 50% down on last week).

2 - PSB

6 - Lily

16 - Royksopp

Singles

1 - Gaga

3 - Noisettes

4 - Beyonce

6 - PCDs

10 - Metro Station

16 - Lily (Not Fair)

So hacked off re PSBs at least the gap is small. More midweek info courtesy of Haven:

Thursday Update Top 40 Only

Singles

1 Lady GaGa

2 Flo Rida

3 Noisettes

4 Beyonce

5 Taylor Swift

Top 10

AR Rahman/PCD

Metro Station

Top 15

Steve Angelo & Laidback Luke/Robin S

Top 20

Lily Allen (Not Fair)

K.I.G.

Top 30

Franz Ferdinand

Enrique/Ciara

Top 40

White Lies

Jennifer Hudson

Albums

1 Ronan Keating

2 Pet Shop Boys

3 Kings Of Leon

4 Lady GaGa

5 Annie Lennox

Top 10

Lily Allen

Prodigy

Akon

Top 15

Taylor Swift

Beyonce

Top 20

Royksopp

Elbow

Top 30

Fleet Foxes

Mastodon

Pearl Jam

Killers

Enrique Iglesias

Papa Roach

Ting Tings

Top 40

Script

Jacko (KOP)

U2 (18 Singles)

Top 45

Ladyhawke

Snow Patrol

Kings Of Leon (BOTT)

Guest tassilo3001

I wish psb good luck

herer in germany the album will also enter top 10 I hope

at amazon you can read that there are many people who write that the new album is one of their best

I can't believe they have only had one No.1 album as they were huge in the 80s. Good for them although I don't think they've had a really great song since 'Before' was released.

In albums Ronan leads PSB by 3,200 copies.

In the singles chart Noisettes are at 2, 4.5k behind Lady Gargoyle.

Promise To Try - Franz are at 22 which is good considering it's still download only.

Ronan has it in the bag now. Sales this week for number 1 will be around 35k so they could have done it. Their last album opened on 26k I think. If they can't make off the back of the Brits and so many positive reviews then they never will.

Eeww at Ronan taking Neil Tennant from behind.

grannies and housewives in the supermarkets

Ronan Keating is surely the quintessential poster boy for people who buy their CDs at ASDA; he's the pop version of homogenised, non-brand, no-frills, "value" produce.

:bad: Asda Boy is number 1 in the albums.....

....and PSBs fell from the midweek position of 2 to number 4 :bad: , in an early flash from this weeks albums chart. Full chart will follow later.

Singles

01 (01) Lady GaGa – Poker Face (D)

02 (**) The Noisettes – Don’t Upset The Rhythm (Go Baby Go)

03 (02) Flo Rida feat. Ke$ha – Right Round

04 (09) Beyoncé – Halo (D)

05 (20) AR Rahman & Pussycat Dolls feat. Nicole Scherzinger – Jai Ho! (You Are My Destiny) (D)

06 (05) Taylor Swift – Love Story

07 (06) T.I. feat. Justin Timberlake – Dead & Gone

08 (08) Akon feat. Kardinal Offishall & Colby O’Donis – Beautiful

09 (22) Metro Station – Shake It

10 (07) Kelly Clarkson – My Life Would Suck Without You

11 (11) La Roux – In For The Kill

12 (**) Steve Angello & Laidback Luke feat. Robin S – Show Me Love

13 (12) Lady GaGa feat. Colby O’Donis – Just Dance

14 (04) The Saturdays – Just Can’t Get Enough

15 (10) Kings Of Leon – Use Somebody

16 (**) Lily Allen – Not Fair (D)

17 (17) Lily Allen – The Fear

18 (41) K.I.G. – Head Shoulders Kneez And Toez

19 (15) Prodigy – Omen

20 (30) Enrique Iglesias feat. Ciara – Takin’ Back My Love

21 (13) James Morrison feat. Nelly Furtado – Broken Strings

22 (27) Franz Ferdinand – No You Girls (D)

23 (03) Vanessa Jenkins & Bryn West ft. Sir Tom Jones & Robin Gibb – Barry Islands In The Stream

24 (18) Alesha Dixon – Breathe Slow

25 (16) September – Can’t Get Over

26 (21) Shontelle – T-Shirt

27 (14) Pet Shop Boys – Love Etc

28 (19) Take That – Up All Night

29 (24) Beyoncé – Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)

30 (28) Kid Cudi vs. Crookers – Day ‘N’ Nite

31 (26) Kings Of Leon – Sex On Fire

32 (23) Eminem, Dr. Dre & 50 Cent – Crack A Bottle (D)

33 (27) Pussycat Dolls feat. Missy Elliott – Whatcha Think About It

34 (**) White Lies – Farewell To The Fairground

35 (36) Jason Mraz – I’m Yours

36 (32) Tinchy Stryder feat. Taio Cruz – Take Me Back

37 (54) Jennifer Hudson – If This Isn’t Love (D)

38 (34) All American Rejects – Gives You Hell

39 (37) Kings Of Leon – Revelry

40 (61) Asher Roth – I Love College (D)