The Official UK Charts Thread

thebigham

I think that’s reading too much into her words (where she also said that it was a ‘party anthem’ and she liked the idea of lots of people dancing to it). I’m sure if she her pre-occupation when recording ‘Hard Candy’ was how the songs would work live, she wouldn’t have Timbaland, Justin, Kanye and Pharrell all over them.

Why is it reading into it too much when it was her actual quote? I don't see why's it weird to say Madonna's main focus is performance and since we all know she only tours with new stuff, it is not a stretch she already thinks about performance while producing an album.

Plus apart from 4M, all the rest of the collaborations worked well in the show anyway. Not to mention that everyone assumed Kanye was only on the album to get a hit even though shortly after the song was recorded, at the Warner listening party Madonna stated BGO is not meant to be a single. Yet it was prominently performed as the second song of her tour...

How interesting that she wrote GI2M to be performed in a stadium. Its a pity she couldn't manage to sing it live. The chorus was mimed and the parts she attempted to sing were horrible. I don't think I have heard one good live vocal of GI2M.

It's not as if it's exactly a difficult song either. :rolleyes:

The problem with her is that she ISN'T doing things with the thought of them being performed live. She either uses edited enhanced vocals or surpasses her limitations in the studio with a vocal she can't create live.

It's not as if it's exactly a difficult song either. :rolleyes:

The problem with her is that she ISN'T doing things with the thought of them being performed live. She either uses edited enhanced vocals or surpasses her limitations in the studio with a vocal she can't create live.

Exactly. Its why she mimed Sorry and FL on CT. It also why she mimed GI2M 4Mins. I also think its why why she never did a live perfomance of 4mins other than on tour.

She really needs to get back to singing within her limitations. We know she can sing because her live performances of YMLM, Drowned World and Lament are really good. She also sounded in good form at Live 8.

Why is it reading into it too much when it was her actual quote? I don't see why's it weird to say Madonna's main focus is performance and since we all know she only tours with new stuff, it is not a stretch she already thinks about performance while producing an album.

Plus apart from 4M, all the rest of the collaborations worked well in the show anyway. Not to mention that everyone assumed Kanye was only on the album to get a hit even though shortly after the song was recorded, at the Warner listening party Madonna stated BGO is not meant to be a single. Yet it was prominently performed as the second song of her tour...

It’s reading too much into it because it was a comment she made about one song, not the album. The actual quote is on the Wiki page for anyone interested. It doesn’t remotely come across as ‘I only write songs that will sound good in a stadium’. I’m sure when she wrote ‘Music’ she knew that it would be anthemic as well.

The performances may have worked well, but that’s because they made it work. If you were writing songs thinking of how they would work in a stadium, you would not think ‘oh I will need to wheel out some big screens and get Kanye/Pharrell/Justin/Timbaland to record some footage that I can play while I dance around’. That sounds *terrible*.

Kanye’s involvement was prominently advertised in the promotion of the album, going so far as to be mentioned prominently on the sticker on the front. Clearly they wanted to sell his involvement. Not for a second do I think he’s on there so that Madonna could get him on big screens on her tour.

Singles- Friday update C will prob fall to at least 4 by sunday, as is starting to fall on i-tunes.

1 Taio Cruz 50k

2 David Guetta 33.8k

3 Madonna 31.4k

4 Jay Z/Rihanna/Kanye West 27.4k

5 Shakira 26.9k

Top 15

13 Paramore

Top 20

20 Paloma Faith

Top 30

24 Lady GaGa [Lovegame]

Pitbull (HRS)

Top 40

32 Jay Z ft. Alicia Keys

Taylor Swift

36 Jay Z ft. Mr. Hudson

Cliff Richard & The Shadows

When the album is released on Monday, the single should get a boost thanks to people cherry picking tracks (e.g. Celebration and Revolver, which could chart in both the US and the UK the week after the album hits iTunes).

I dont think it would to be honest. I would doubt C will rise above what it peaks this sunday. Althjough will be interesting to see what will re-enter the chart.

When the album is released on Monday, the single should get a boost thanks to people cherry picking tracks (e.g. Celebration and Revolver, which could chart in both the US and the UK the week after the album hits iTunes).

Do you think she can sing Celebration live?

Exactly. Its why she mimed Sorry and FL on CT. It also why she mimed GI2M 4Mins. I also think its why why she never did a live perfomance of 4mins other than on tour.

She really needs to get back to singing within her limitations. We know she can sing because her live performances of YMLM, Drowned World and Lament are really good. She also sounded in good form at Live 8.

I dont think it would to be honest. I would doubt C will rise above what it peaks this sunday. Althjough will be interesting to see what will re-enter the chart.

Sorry - I meant it would get a boost in that it won't fall dramatically, as some people are expecting (and hoping...QB... ;)).

Most #1 Single on UK Chart (2000-2009) - Overall :dramatic:

10 #1

Westlife

7 #1

Eminem

McFly

6 #1

Sugababes

5 #1

Madonna

4 #1

Beyonce

Britney Spears

Busted

Elvis Presley

Gareth Gates

Girls Aloud

Nelly

Oasis

Robbie Williams

U2

Will Young

3 #1

Akon

Atomic Kitten

Black Eyed Peas

Blue

Christina Aguilera

Daniel Bedingfield

Dizzee Rascal

Elton John

Jay-Z

Justin Timberlake

Kanye West

Kylie Minogue

Leona Lewis

Pink

Rihanna

S Club 7

Take That

Timbaland

2 #1

A1

All Saints

Arctic Monkeys

Calvin Harris

Craig David

David Guetta

Destiny's Child

Five

Geri Halliwell

Hear'Say

Jennifer Lopez

Kelly Rowland

Lady Gaga

Lily Allen

Melanie C

Nelly Furtado

P Diddy

Pixie Lott

Pussycat Dolls

R Kelly

Ronan Keating

Shaggy

Shakira

Tinchy Stryder

Usher

Most #1 Single on UK Chart (2000-2009) - Male

7 #1

Eminem

4 #1

Elvis Presley

Gareth Gates

Nelly

Robbie Williams

Will Young

3 #1

Akon

Daniel Bedingfield

Elton John

Jay-Z

Justin Timberlake

Kanye West

Timbaland

2 #1

Calvin Harris

Craig David

David Guetta

P Diddy

R Kelly

Ronan Keating

Shaggy

Tinchy Stryder

Usher

Most #1 Single on UK Chart (2000-2009) - Female :dramatic:

5 #1

Madonna

4 #1

Beyonce

Britney Spears

3 #1

Christina Aguilera

Kylie Minogue

Leona Lewis

Pink

Rihanna

2 #1

Geri Halliwell

Jennifer Lopez

Kelly Rowland

Lady Gaga

Lily Allen

Melanie C

Nelly Furtado

Pixie Lott

Shakira

Most #1 Single on UK Chart (2000-2009) - Group :dramatic:

10 #1

Westlife

7 #1

McFly

6 #1

Sugababes

4 #1

Busted

Girls Aloud

Oasis

U2

3 #1

Atomic Kitten

Black Eyed Peas

Blue

Dizzee Rascal

S Club 7

Take That

2 #1

A1

All Saints

Arctic Monkeys

Destiny's Child

Five

Hear'Say

Pussycat Dolls

I'M in LONDON right now and I just bought Madonna's celebration single with the remixes that is selling for 2.99 pounds. I bought it at the HMV in Picadilly Circus. Hope it counts for the chart on Sunday! Hopefully it will get to top 3! :)

I'M in LONDON right now and I just bought Madonna's celebration single with the remixes that is selling for 2.99 pounds. I bought it at the HMV in Picadilly Circus. Hope it counts for the chart on Sunday! Hopefully it will get to top 3! :)

Just curious, did you see Coldplay last night at Wembley Stadium or are you planning to go tonight? I went last night and they were amazing. Such a gret live band

and the sound was perfect. So much better than when I saw Madonna there. They had fantastic video screens as well and their ticket price are a third of what

Madonna charges.