The Official UK Charts Thread

thebigham

when does Britneys 3 finally get released in the UK? Also, does it look likely shell get #1, or is there any other major competition?

Plus- how many acts have two massive-selling hits compilations? (I'm talking of solo acts who are still living and groups where key members have not passed on). Seems like it's just 1, and rhen others fare less spectacularly. If Madonna did some promo, itmay sell a little bit more in these first several weeks, but reality is it has a nice opening and then drops steadily- there's no big need for the casual consumer to buy the album right now- so it's settling into "catalog"-like sales, especially since the new single has disappeared from the airwaves (but at least it was on the UK airwaves at a nice level for a month and change there, unlike the USA).

Maybe WB will do some advertising and all during the holiday season.

^ looks like they are.

Plus saw ads for Celebration on ITV2 last night so hoping WB have a marketing budget for the rest of the year.

Also, the fact that Jamie Archer didn't sing LAP on Saturday's X Factor still gives us hope that Her Madgesty will turn up to the X Factor. Six weeks left.

I think the disillusion is more to do with the fact that Madonna has taken her finger off the quality control button of late.

HC was a very mixed bag and the Timberland sound had been done about 2 years before its release. By the time it came out it sounded

dated and stale. The cover of the album was dreadful and did her or the album no favours. Sure she has a record breaking tour but the god

awful rock versions were dire. A lot of the tour was rehashed (ROL, LIB). She relied heavily on backing tracks (ITTG,GI2M LAP) which for the prices

she was charging was a joke especially given the poor LN organisation and sound quality at some shows

She defintely oversaturated some markets (Spain,France,Germany). The concert broadcast of SS was frankly a joke, the post production is so bad

it makes it look like she mimed most of the show. The Celebration album is a mess, crappy edits, poor album inner sleeve. The dvd is even worse.

No extras. What a joke, there must be a ton of stuff in the vaults they could have used. What did we get? Nothing. The video for Celebration is

probably the worst of her career. Cheap and tacky and she has done virtually no promotion. It appears like she is just in it for the money and

can't be arsed with anything she does. I guess she spoilt us by setting such a high standard and generally raising the bar. Some of it probably

has to do with her personal life and the divorce she went through. Hopefully she will take a long break and come back refreshed.

:clap:

Watching the X Factor I thought about someone doing the rock version of Hung Up and Simon Cowell saying you took one of the best pop songs of this decade and totally ruined it :lmao:

Music week summary of last week and some sales highlights. Let the bickering continue :chuckle:

SINGLES

138614 Cheryl Cole

75330 Westlife

72015 Jay Sean

71335 Alexandra Burke

42745 Michael Buble

42614 Black Eyed Peas (6)

32319 Chipmunk (7)

31243 Whitney Houston (8)

24466 Robbie Williams (9)

23798 Black Eyed Peas [iGAF] (10)

23454 Miley Cyrus (11)

19869 Lady GaGa (14)

16454 Biffy Clyro (17)

12068 Duck Sauce (22)

11794 Saturdays (23)

10641 Cheryl Cole [3W] (26)

7266 Michael Buble [CMAR] (34)

ALBUMS

125271 Cheryl Cole

112314 Michael Buble

78097 Michael Jackson

56558 Soldiers

55429 Alexandra Burke

30572 Katherine Jenkins (6)

25400 Whitney Houston (7)

18095 Daniel O'Donnell (8)

17706 Paolo Nutini (9)

17541 Fleetwood Mac (10)

7969 Harry Connick Jr (28)

7768 Ultrabeat (29)

6303 Wolfmother (35)

4080 Saturdays (57)

2078 Saturdays (100)

COMPILATIONS

32038 Live Lounge Vol 4 (1)

===========================

Year To Date Singles

431.459 Cheryl Cole - Fight For This Love :vomit:

380.179 Alexandra Burke ft. Flo Rida - Bad Boys

221.652 Chipmunk - Oopsy Daisy

160.153 Robbie Williams - Bodies

99.205 Madonna - Celebration :bad:

98.710 Michael Buble - Haven't Met You Yet

97.239 Saturdays - Forever Is Over

Year To Date Albums

196.849 Madonna - Celebration :nervous:

190.319 Michael Buble - Crazy Love

187.494 Alexandra Burke - Overcame

77.032 Whitney Houston - I Look To You

36.304 Fleetwood Mac - The Very Best Of ??

25.712 Saturdays - Wordshaker

Singles

Cheryl Cole pulls off a notable double this week, remaining atop the singles chart with first solo offering, Fight For This Love, while entering the album chart at number one with her introductory long player, 3 Words.

She is the 12th women to achieve the feat first completed by Barbra Streisand in 1980.

Despite the album’s release, Fight For This Love continues to set a scorching pace on the singles chart, selling a further 138,615 copies last week, bringing its 13-day sales tally to more than 431,000, and jumping 37-12 on the year-to-date rankings.

The track’s first week sales tally of 292,846 was the highest for an act not newly graduated from a reality TV show – though, of course, Cole herself was discovered on Pop Stars: The Rivals and serves as a judge on The X Factor – since September 2001, when Kylie Minogue’s Can’t Get You Out Of My Head sold 306,648 copies.

Cole’s singles chart holdover denies Westlife the opportunity of registering their 15th number one, at least for the time being.

The Irish band, whose tally of number ones is bettered only by Elvis Presley and The Beatles, last topped the chart in November 2006 with The Rose, which opened with sales of 44,305 copies.

Westlife’s 25th chart entry, What About Now opens with sales of 75,330, and brings up the group’s 6,000,000th single sale since their 1999 debut. It is a cover of the Daughtry track which has itself flowered into a late hit thanks to its use – both in original form and cover versions – on The X Factor.

The singles chart’s other notable new arrival is Jay Sean’s recent number one US hit Down. A collaboration with Lil Wayne, it debuts at number three on sales of 72,017 copies. Meanwhile, the top tier’s other transatlantic twining – that of Alexandra Burke and Flo Rida – ebbs 2-4 on sales of 71,335.

Debuting inside the Top 20 are new singles from Miley Cyrus, Biffy Clyro, Duck Sauce and Lady GaGa.

Singles sales slip 2.1% week-on-week from their 43-week high to 2,742,825 – 15.22% above same week 2008 sales of 2,380,457.

=======================

Albums

Having dethroned reigning X Factor champ Alexandra Burke from the singles chart summit last week, Cole now nicks her album crown, with 3 Words becoming the chart’s ninth number one in as many weeks.

The album sold 125,271 copies on its first week in the shops, beating Cole’s previous best first-week sale of 85,670 chalked up by Girls Aloud’s Out Of Control album a year ago this week. It would have done better, had fans not cherry-picked favourite tracks for download. Nine tracks from the album join Fight For This Love in the Top 200, with the title track (a Will.I.Am collaboration) leading the way, at number 26 on sales of 10,641 copies.

Setting aside first weeks, Girls Aloud’s best week of all came in Christmas week 2006, when their Sound Of: The Greatest Hits set notched eighth week sales of 129,888. All told, Girls Aloud have sold 3,717,204 albums since their 2003 debut.

Continuing The X Factor theme, Michael Buble’s appearance on the show last week helped sales of his Crazy Love album to continue at a high level. The album saw a 44% increase in sales (to 112,315) on its second frame, and holds at number two. Introductory single, Haven’t Met You Yet, climbs 9-5 (42,745 sales), while Buble’s version of Cry Me A River debuts at number 34 (7,266 sales).

Michael Jackson’s posthumous soundtrack album, This Is It, debuts at number three on sales of 78,097 copies. Jackson has now sold 2,192,217 albums in 2009, the vast majority of them since his death in June.

Three serving members of the British army, known collectively as The Soldiers, debut at number four (56,557 sales) with Coming Home. Completing the Top 5, Alexandra Burke’s Overcome falls 1-5 (55,429 sales).

Katherine Jenkins has had seven chart albums, four of which reached the Top 10, and has sold nearly 2.4m albums for UCJ/Decca since 2004 but has a new home at Warner Music, for whom her debut set, Believe, debuts at number six (30,573 sales).

Irish country/MOR crooner Daniel O’Donnell is the most prolific chartmaker of the 21st century, chalking up 12 Top 20 albums since 2000. 47-year-old O’Donnell has had 25 Top 40 albums and 29 Top 75 albums including at least one every year since his 1988 chart debut, something no other artist can match. His latest collection, Peace In The Valley, a collection of inspirational songs, debuts at number eight on sales of 18,095 copies.

Six debuts pepper the Top 10 of the compilation chart. Radio 1’s Live Lounge Volume 4 debuts in top spot on sales of 32,038 copies.

Album sales climb 14.96% week-on-week to 2,299,292 – their highest level for 19 weeks but 6.16% below same week 2008 sales of 2,450,276.

Isn't Madonna supposed to be a control freak? Isn't every project she does supposed to get her personal seal of approval before it goes out? What's happened of late? Has she passed the approval over to one of her "yes" people? LOL at the fact that when she is asked about her fans in interviews she says " I love my fans, they are so loyal, I am so lucky".She couldn't even be bothered to put a few extras on the Celebration and SS dvds.

To me, that's disturbing and epitomizes the definition of LOON. Any NORMAL person would just move on and jump back in if she creates something of interest to them again.

Anybody who is "disllusioned" by her needs to go....they need something more safe and guaranteed.

So to be a fan you have to love everything she does and happily sit back without complaining and not care when she keeps churning out any old shite? Oh I see. :doh:

Now THAT is the DEFINITION of a LOON. :|:crazy:

So to be a fan you have to love everything she does and happily sit back without complaining and not care when she keeps churning out any old shite? Oh I see. :doh:

A lot of people refuse to factor in a number of things with their complaining... she's a mother of 4, she's 51, Warner is low on funding/ they have parted ways, etc.

To be a fan of Madonna you don't need to love everything she does and you probably won't. As a Madonna fan you should understand that she's an artist and does a hundred different things and sounds. Like it or leave it, but at least respect her decision to do what she wants as an artist. You would think people who have been fans for so long would understand this about her and have enough sense to realize that the next time she comes out with something it will most likely be completely different than what preceded it. Some of the things people complain about here are just absurd and ridiculous and people REFUSE to take any legitimate circumstances into consideration. I mean has anybody looked at the album sales list YTD that have been posted?? That's just one of the MAJOR circumstances that just sails over the heads of many it seems in this thread.

The internet has brought out a whole different breed of complainers and I'm pretty sure like most rational people, Madonna and her people can weed out the lunatic/ridiculous complaints from the legit complaints. That's of course assuming she gives a flying fuck at all which I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't. I'd be pleased if she didn't. As an artist she has the obligation to do what she wants, how she wants careerwise without any regard for what her fans think....she's certainly done it that way in the past.

Not only that but apparently what she's churned out isn't "old shite" to the people who made Celebration the number one selling album on Earth for 3 weeks, pushing nearly a million copies in that time. Nor the people last year that made Hard Candy the number 9 selling album on Earth for 2008, beating out some of the "hottest" acts of the moment. So unfortunately for some, no, not everybody finds her more recent projects shitty in any way.

It’s ridiculous when people resort to the ‘oh so we’re only a fan if we always praise’ arguments. Who has said that? Plenty of us criticise. I don’t think there is anyone here who doesn’t wish she would do more promo, for example. But it’s a no-brainer that there is a huge difference between criticism (and criticism which understands the context, as the previous poster said) and constant pointless sniping which has little to do with Madonna and everything to do with the ego of the person writing.

Anyway, to the chart - it's still top 30 in today's mids.

First set of mids, Madonna in the top 30 in albums. Hope her weekly fall will be negligible this week. Crappy Cole could be dethroned from both charts though I suspect Bon Jovi's lead will disappear through the week. JLS are off to a fantastic start. The X Factor effect is crazy this year.

Summary

Top 40 Only

Singles

1 JLS 58.4k

2 Cheryl Cole 26.7k

3 Jay Sean 15.8k

4 Black Eyed Peas [MMH] 15.5k

5 Alexandra Burke 14.8k

Top 10

Chase & Status

Lady GaGa

Miley

Top 15

JLS [spell It Out]

Snow Patrol

Journey

Top 20

Calvin Harris

Top 30

Paolo Nutini

Cheryl Cole [3 Words]

Top 40

Beyonce (BHG)

Bon Jovi

JLS

Laura White

=======================================

Albums

1 Bon Jovi 33.4k

2 Cheryl Cole 22.9k

3 Michael Buble 20.7k

4 Foo Fighters 17.3k

5 Michael Jackson 13k

Top 10

Katherine Jenkins [ultimate Collection]

Beyonce

Black Eyed Peas

Top 15

Nirvana

Top 20

Slayer

Pink

Top 30

Sting

Top 40

Tinchy Stryder

Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Bon Jovi [best Of]

Julian Casablancas

It really is overkill on X Factor - after JLS this week, it'll be Leona next week, and we still have the X Factor finalists cover of Jacko and the winner's single - meaning that basically we could be looking at X Factor number ones until next year. I hope there is a huge backlash soon.

wow , why is Bon Jovi leading Cheryl so much on the albums chart? Also, how many X-Factor singles are getting released next week (11/9)???

It really is overkill on X Factor - after JLS this week, it'll be Leona next week, and we still have the X Factor finalists cover of Jacko and the winner's single - meaning that basically we could be looking at X Factor number ones until next year. I hope there is a huge backlash soon.

Urgh :zombie:

At least this season is shit. All it needs is some more shit seasons till people get fed up. Surely?

But then even the really bad series of American Idol did well.

No Loomer, one doesn't have to love every single thing she does. We all have things we don't like and there isn't anything wrong with that. It's the constant bashing of her in every single post of every thread by the same people over and over that is ruining this board. Of course people can complain about what they dont like but do we have to hear the same thing in every post? For example, aside from a couple of songs on Confessions I think the album sucks and is quite franky cheesy,gay euro-disco. Thats just my opinion though. I prefer Hard Candy to that album. If someone were to start a thread though about how much they love Confessions I certainly wouldn't go in there and bash them or the album and ruin it for them. I'd just stay away and let them have their lovefest. It really is that easy to do. Unfortunately for some, if they did the same thing I did they wouldn't be able to post in any threads at all because they apparently don't like anything.

next...

What you consider to be any old shite is your opinion just like me considering Confessions any old shite my opinion.

next...

Wanna see some loons? Go check out Gaga's thread. Talk about loondom. Pathetic actually.

:lmao: i cant believe you love lady gaga :lmao:

i can't believe you even bother quoting how he/she/or whatever the hell, loves lady gaga :p

whatever

Hopefully she will take a long break and come back refreshed.

If she takes a too long a break she will be even "older" when she returns. It must be a very tricky stage for her in her career as she wants to still dress provocatively and make dance singles and in a way that will alienate a lot of people except her solid gay fanbase.

Do I want her making the pure pop sounds off the last 2 albums? No. Do I want her to make underground influenced electro-dance music which she has indulged in at times from 1990-2003? I would not mind it but would I see her as some sort of cool underground artist? Definitely not and thats because of her age. She has to start acting her age. I have no problems with her performing or even outperforming others but some of the recent costumes, songs point to one thing - someone who wants to be young forever. Going old gracefully does not mean she should retire but I guess a reflection f maturity in her work?

I actually think we are going to get another pop-urban-dance album with sounds similar to HC/Celebration and COADF.

If she takes a too long a break she will be even "older" when she returns. It must be a very tricky stage for her in her career as she wants to still dress provocatively and make dance singles and in a way that will alienate a lot of people except her solid gay fanbase.

Do I want her making the pure pop sounds off the last 2 albums? No. Do I want her to make underground influenced electro-dance music which she has indulged in at times from 1990-2003? I would not mind it but would I see her as some sort of cool underground artist? Definitely not and thats because of her age. She has to start acting her age. I have no problems with her performing or even outperforming others but some of the recent costumes, songs point to one thing - someone who wants to be young forever. Going old gracefully does not mean she should retire but I guess a reflection f maturity in her work?

I actually think we are going to get another pop-urban-dance album with sounds similar to HC/Celebration and COADF.

Madonna acting her age has nothing to do with her and everything to do with you. Madonna is acting like Madonna at 51 would act. She's reflected and showed her mature side at 30, 40 and in between. It's not like HC is completely upbeat with songs about having fun and dancing, there's other stuff too. But after ROL, Music and AL all of which were "deeper" for Madonna standards, it was time to have fun again. It's not like she hasn't proven that she's capable of more than fluffy dance/pop songs. Back in 2003 that was one element people were starting to miss from Madonna. Critics and fans alike were pointing it out.

Guest Danny86

Yes, we most likely are. Can we hope such event would completely turn you off from posting the same stuff about Madonna over and over again?

I guess the are making up for last years disappointing performance by Leon in the singles and albums. Leona did well but there were no other successes by past acts except for Rhydian in the albums charts.

They are making us PAY this year, haha. Leona, Alex, Rhydian, JLS, Cheryl and of course the awful group and winners single to come.

One benefit is that Shayne with a Y Ward has been bumped until spring.

Chart Covers Sales Up Until Midnight On Tuesday

N 1 Bon Jovi The Circle Bon Jovi

2 1 2 Cheryl Cole 3 Words

3 2 3 Michael Buble Crazy Love

4 N 1 Foo Fighters Greatest Hits

5 3 2 Michael Jackson This Is It

6 N 1 Soldiers Coming Home

7 5 3 Alexandra Burke Overcome

8 N 1 Katherine Jenkins The Ultimate Collection

9 53 51 Beyonce I Am Sasha Fierce :clap:

10 11 22 Black Eyed Peas The E.N.D.

13 7 3 Whitney Houston I Look To