The Official UK Charts Thread

thebigham

Dont talk about sales nowadays when if you look at the chart ABBA GOLD has sold more than Celebration this year, so far.

We all know why Jesus is with Madonna, and its because it makes him more famous no other reason.

celebration: out for less than 2 months

ABBA GOLD: out the whole damn year!

it's simple as 2+2 is ehhh..ehhh...according with you and ur alter ego Queen bug(or whatever) it is 5 ,3, right?...lol!

No one wanted to know ABBA for ten years after they split. Then with the covers by Erasure people started re-discovering their music. Many bands have to go through a wilderness period and come back even stronger like Take That. Madonna has been going 27 years now without any significant time away.

Hung Up and 4 Minutes are proof she can still write a hit and I hope that some time away will mean the first album with Live Nation will be great!

I'm wondering if there are ABBA fans out there who look at the track listing for "ABBA Gold" and refuse to buy it because it's not in chronological order? It's a weak argument, really. As for that album's continued strong sales, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the massive cross promotion afforded it by "Mama Mia" have more to do with its current success than the fact that it's a compilation album? Take away "Mama Mia" (movie) and would it still be selling 200k+? Absolutely not. Had Michael Jackson not died, he definitely wouldn't have three albums in the Top 40 YTD chart (maybe "The Essential" might have sold decently due to his concerts, but definitely not as many copies as it has). When Madonna releases albums that fail to reach the Top 10, then people might have something to complain about. Until that time, though, people will just have to continue to resort to grasping at straws in an attempt to declare her as "over".

Had it hung around in the top 10 then there would be some argument about low sales but it's slipped over 20 places in 2 weeks and i doubt t will be going back up in the top 10 again, although being a Madonna Gh's who knows?

Anyway you can kid yourselves. Its just so funny how some people in this thread are sniggering at Mariahs Sales in the US Chart threads yet they come here with all these explanations of why their fave pop star is not doing so well.

As for ABBA its not a current album. Most of its sales from Mama Mia were from 2008. ABBA Gold like TIC has always re-entered.

The Xmas market this year looks set to be competitive. Madonna is the only major act to have released a GH hits this year or shall i say this period?

ABBA Gold has always been a huge album. I dont know much about ABBA Gold's tracklisting as I have only ever liked 2-3 of their songs and I would still not even buy them alone if I had the chance.

It would have sold less than 200,000 thats for sure but still a newly released album should outsell a 16 year old classic.

The order of Celebration is just so wrong. Some songs such as Holiday, La isla Bonita too name but a few sound current in some ways but a lo t of the songs dont. I cant remember the track listing but to mix the 80's 90's 00's together was a bad idea.

I would have preferred chronological order or an updeat and down beat cd not LAP to ROL etc.

I'm wondering if there are ABBA fans out there who look at the track listing for "ABBA Gold" and refuse to buy it because it's not in chronological order? It's a weak argument, really. As for that album's continued strong sales, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the massive cross promotion afforded it by "Mama Mia" have more to do with its current success than the fact that it's a compilation album? Take away "Mama Mia" (movie) and would it still be selling 200k+? Absolutely not. Had Michael Jackson not died, he definitely wouldn't have three albums in the Top 40 YTD chart (maybe "The Essential" might have sold decently due to his concerts, but definitely not as many copies as it has). When Madonna releases albums that fail to reach the Top 10, then people might have something to complain about. Until that time, though, people will just have to continue to resort to grasping at straws in an attempt to declare her as "over".

Yeah your right we dont know them but we have seen enough of M to mow where thsi relationship will end up. Only thick people would believe they would genuinely care about each other and it will last happy ever after.

Celebration has been out less than 2 months. Why are you comparing it's sales to the sales of Abba Gold for the entire year?? :wacko:

I have no idea why Jesus and Madonna are together....and neither do you, or any of the other countless morons without a clue. Perhaps they care about each other...or just like to fuck. It's really not our concern.

Yeah your right we dont know them but we have seen enough of M to mow where thsi relationship will end up. Only thick people would believe they would genuinely care about each other and it will last happy ever after.

Whether it lasts forever or till the end of next week, is still none of our business. People who are happy and content in their own lives don't waste time speculating on the legitimacy of Madonnas' relationship with Jesus Luz. Did you think her marriage to Guy Ritchie was gonna be happy, and last forever?? :wacko::lmao:

Guest boytoyville

What's "alot more" exactly?

Year-to-date sales as of last week:

1 Only by the Night - Kings of Leon 923,000

2 The Fame - Lady Gaga 780,000

3 It's not Me, It's You - Lily Allen 642,000

4 I am Sasha Fierce - Beyoncé 553,000

5 The Essential - Michael Jackson 546,000

6 Invaders Must Die - The Prodigy 503,000

7 The Circus - Take That 464,000

8 Songs for You, Truths for Me - James Morrison 442,000

9 Sunny Side Up - Paulo Nutini 425,000

10 West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum - Kasabian 407,000

11 Funhouse - Pink 383,703

12 Day & Age - The Killers 380,000

13 Relapse - Eminem 374,000

14 Rockferry - Duffy 363,000

15 No Line on the Horizon - U2 361,000

16 The Seldom seen Kid - Elbow 355,000

17 The Script - The Script 314,000

18 21st Century Breakdown - Green Day 310,000

19 Lungs - Florence & the Machine 310,000

20 Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes 301,500

21 The End - Black Eyed Peas 299,000

22 Freedom - Akon 294,000

23 The Resistance - Muse 274,000

24 The Collection - Annie Lennox 244,600

25 We Sing, We Dance,We Steal Things - Jason Mraz 244,500

26 Fearless - Taylor Swift 241,000

27 La Roux - La Roux 234,500

28 Bad - Michael Jackson 227,500

29 Love & War - Daniel Merriweather 224,000

30 We'll Meet Again - Vera Lynn 222,000

31 We Started Nothing - The Ting Tings 215,000

32 Oracular Spectacular - MGMT 213,000

33 Songs for my Mother - Ronan Keating 212,000

34 Gold - Greatest Hits - Abba 210,000

35 The Alesha Show - Alesha Dixon 206,000

36 Chasing Lights - The Saturdays 204,000

37 Thriller - Michael Jackson 203,000

38 Working on a Dream - Bruce Springsteen 189,000

39 Celebration - Madonna 187,719

40 Year of the Gentleman - Ne-Yo 187,000

Let's say if Madonna promoted, it would be at 400k and among the top 10 of 2009. Yet, that still would be only half of what GHV2 did WITHOUT ANY PROMO and as you can see with GHV2 sales you can be TOP 2 in 2009. The best selling album of 2009 might not reach 1 million copies sold (if I'm not wrong, only #3 in the top 5 is a 2009 album), which hadn't happened since 1979 & 1980 (when Parallel Lines and Super Trouper were the biggest albums but below 1m). So I'm just not getting why the assumption that a Madonna greatest hits that's filled with songs that appeared on 2 albums at least could have the potential to turn these dismal numbers upside down.

Wow, I didn't know The Essential Micheal Jackson was doing so well in the UK. I knew MJ Number Ones was already a smash there so I figured it would be the most popular choice their as well like in the US but apparently not. The other MJ studio albums on the list did nicely as well. Crazy how much MJ has been selling everywhere, especiall sense a lot of the material is the same stuff repackaged and resold over and over again. I am kinf of a collecter so I have all his studio albums and mutiple compilations but a lot of other people must be getting mutiple MJ albums as well, even when some of the stuff or almost all of it is the same from disc to disc.

Guest tassilo3001

Wow, I didn't know The Essential Micheal Jackson was doing so well in the UK. I knew MJ Number Ones was already a smash there so I figured it would be the most popular choice their as well like in the US but apparently not. The other MJ studio albums on the list did nicely as well. Crazy how much MJ has been selling everywhere, especiall sense a lot of the material is the same stuff repackaged and resold over and over again. I am kinf of a collecter so I have all his studio albums and mutiple compilations but a lot of other people must be getting mutiple MJ albums as well, even when some of the stuff or almost all of it is the same from disc to disc.

let's wait how robbies new album will do in uk

bodies is a sigle hit

his last singles weren't

here in germany bodies is nr 1 for a 2nd week

and next saturday he will perform at wetten dass (TV show with betwenn 10 and 15 million people watching)

that will give the album and single massive sales

Guest Danny86

The Essential MJ become a bigger seller because they were re-promoting it after his death. At first it was Number Ones that topped the chart but then Essential got more copies shipped etc. Initially there was another GH scheduled for the This Is It tour but then it was changed to Essential. And it's his most complete set so that's why it outsold the other compilations and that's why the new one won't do much.

Dont talk about sales nowadays when if you look at the chart ABBA GOLD has sold more than Celebration this year, so far.

We all know why Jesus is with Madonna, and its because it makes him more famous no other reason.

you must lead such a pathetic life! :)

:lmao: @ you spending this all this time on a forum devoted to a person you don't like...

Yeah, the fact he's posted here for the past 6 years and has been a fan for more than 20 years must mean he really hates her :manson:

So he's disillusioned by recent Madge. BIG deal. :rolleyes: Not like MANY fans aren't.

Had it hung around in the top 10 then there would be some argument about low sales but it's slipped over 20 places in 2 weeks and i doubt t will be going back up in the top 10 again, although being a Madonna Gh's who knows?

Anyway you can kid yourselves. Its just so funny how some people in this thread are sniggering at Mariahs Sales in the US Chart threads yet they come here with all these explanations of why their fave pop star is not doing so well.

As for ABBA its not a current album. Most of its sales from Mama Mia were from 2008. ABBA Gold like TIC has always re-entered.

The Xmas market this year looks set to be competitive. Madonna is the only major act to have released a GH hits this year or shall i say this period?

Mariah's chart performance in the USA is not compared at any rate with Madonna's in the UK. You should see all the damn promotion Mariah has done to the almost zero promotion Madonna has, plus Mariah with a new album and not a Greatest Hits. If you think Madonna is doing bad in the UK(yes US sales suck) then I'm glad, because worldwide it's almost 900,000 and that surely says she's a worldwide artist, not a Uk or US act like so many.

Still is fucking amazing how the haters are having their "sweet time" nowadays attacking the sales of a Greatest Hits, it's like a 20 year old man so proud for have defeated a 5 year old kid in a soccer game!, had it being a new album they would not be going through this fake sweetness...lol...

Guest Danny86
So he's disillusioned by recent Madge. BIG deal. :rolleyes: Not like MANY fans aren't.

I think that's beside the point when posts are all about spewing nonsense about charts and sales while at the same time promoting another artist to wind up people.

Yeah, the fact he's posted here for the past 6 years and has been a fan for more than 20 years must mean he really hates her :manson:

I hope Madonna continues to disillusion her whiny fans, who can't take her doing a style of music they don't personally like so they act as if her career is over because THEY don't like it. Those fans are the worst anyways and don't get the fact that Madonna is an artist, most of us AREN'T going to like EVERYTHING she does....that's just how it goes with someone who is prolific as she is. But most of us don't act like a 2 year old who just lost their favorite toy because we don't like something she does. What's worse is the people who simply observe the fact that her album is a hit are loons not looking at the facts. Nevermind that it just spent weeks as the world's top selling album. That is a undisputed fact...no matter how one tries to twist it the fact still remains. No "loon" fan is making this up off the top of their head

LOONY is when you hang around and discuss something that you no longer have interest in and try to twist facts to make that person look bad because YOU personally aren't pleased with the artistic direction they've taken lately. It seems some fans almost have some sort of vendetta against her and WANT her to do bad and fail at things because they aren't pleased with her artistic direction. To me, that's disturbing and epitomizes the definition of LOON. Any NORMAL person would just move on and jump back in if she creates something of interest to them again.

Anybody who is "disllusioned" by her needs to go....they need something more safe and guaranteed.

I think the disillusion is more to do with the fact that Madonna has taken her finger off the quality control button of late.

HC was a very mixed bag and the Timberland sound had been done about 2 years before its release. By the time it came out it sounded

dated and stale. The cover of the album was dreadful and did her or the album no favours. Sure she has a record breaking tour but the god

awful rock versions were dire. A lot of the tour was rehashed (ROL, LIB). She relied heavily on backing tracks (ITTG,GI2M LAP) which for the prices

she was charging was a joke especially given the poor LN organisation and sound quality at some shows

She defintely oversaturated some markets (Spain,France,Germany). The concert broadcast of SS was frankly a joke, the post production is so bad

it makes it look like she mimed most of the show. The Celebration album is a mess, crappy edits, poor album inner sleeve. The dvd is even worse.

No extras. What a joke, there must be a ton of stuff in the vaults they could have used. What did we get? Nothing. The video for Celebration is

probably the worst of her career. Cheap and tacky and she has done virtually no promotion. It appears like she is just in it for the money and

can't be arsed with anything she does. I guess she spoilt us by setting such a high standard and generally raising the bar. Some of it probably

has to do with her personal life and the divorce she went through. Hopefully she will take a long break and come back refreshed.

Singles 01/11/09

1(01) Cheryl Cole - Fight for this love

2(NE) Westlife - What about now

3(NE) Jay Sean & Lil Wayne - Down

4(02) Alexandra Burke & Flo Rida - Bad boys

5(09) Michael Buble - Haven't met you yet

6(11) Black Eyed Peas - Meet me halfway

7(03) Chipmunk - Oopsy daisy

8(05) Whitney Houston - Million dollar bill

9(04) Robbie Williams - Bodies

10(07) Black Eyed Peas - I gotta feeling

11(NE) Miley Cyrus - Party in the USA

12(06) Taio Cruz - Break your heart

13(08) Jay Z & Alicia Keys - Empire state of mind

14(NE) Lady Gaga - Bad romance

15(18) Tinchy Stryder- You're not alone

16(15) Pitbull - Hotel room service

17(NE) Biffy Clyro - The captain

18(13) David Guetta & Akon - Sexy bitch

19(10) Young soul rebels - I got soul

20(12) Shakira - She wolf

21(17) Cobra Starship - Good girls gone bad

22(NE) Duck Sauce - Anyway

23(14) Saturdays - Forever is over

24(16) Temper Trap - Sweet disposition

25(30) Calvin Harris - Flashback

26(NE) Cheryl Cole & Will I Am - 3 words

27(23) Dizzee Rascal - Dirtee cash

28(33) Paulo Nutini - Pencil full of lead

29(19) Jordin Sparks - SOS

30(20) Alphabeat - The spell

31(26) Kings of Leon - Sex on fire

32(24) Pixie Lott - Boys and girls

33(21) Paloma Faith - New York

34(NE) Michael Buble - Cry me a river

35(31) JLS - Beat again

36(27) Big Pink - Dominoes

37(NE) Florence and the machine - You got the love

38(22) Foo fighters - Wheels

39(RE) Daughtry - What about now

40(28) Jay Z, Rihanna & Kanye West - Run this town

SALES

Singles

1 Cheryl Cole 138,614 (To Date: 431,459)

2 Westlife 75,330

3 Jay Sean 72,015

4 Alexandra Burke / Flo Rida 71,335

5 Michael Buble 42,745

6 Black Eyed Peas 42,614

7 Chipmunk 32,319

8 Whitney Houston 31,243

9 Robbie Williams 24,466

10 Black Eyed Peas [iGAF] 23,798

11 Miley Cyrus 23,454

14 Lady GaGa 19,869

17 Biffy Clyro 16,454

22 Duck Sauce 12,068

26 Cheryl Cole [3W] 10,641

34 Michael Buble [Cry] 7,266

Albums

1 Cheryl Cole 125,271

2 Michael Buble 112,314

3 Michael Jackson 78,097

4 Soldiers 56,558

5 Alexandra Burke 55,429

6 Katherine Jenkins 30,572

7 Whitney Houston 25,400

8 Daniel O'Donnell 18,095

9 Paolo Nutini 17,706

10 Fleetwood Mac 17,541

28 Harry Connick Jr 7,969

29 Ultrabeat 7,768

35 Wolfmother 6,303

I hope Madonna continues to disillusion her whiny fans, who can't take her doing a style of music they don't personally like so they act as if her career is over because THEY don't like it. Those fans are the worst anyways and don't get the fact that Madonna is an artist, most of us AREN'T going to like EVERYTHING she does....that's just how it goes with someone who is prolific as she is. But most of us don't act like a 2 year old who just lost their favorite toy because we don't like something she does. What's worse is the people who simply observe the fact that her album is a hit are loons not looking at the facts. Nevermind that it just spent weeks as the world's top selling album. That is a undisputed fact...no matter how one tries to twist it the fact still remains. No "loon" fan is making this up off the top of their head

LOONY is when you hang around and discuss something that you no longer have interest in and try to twist facts to make that person look bad because YOU personally aren't pleased with the artistic direction they've taken lately. It seems some fans almost have some sort of vendetta against her and WANT her to do bad and fail at things because they aren't pleased with her artistic direction. To me, that's disturbing and epitomizes the definition of LOON. Any NORMAL person would just move on and jump back in if she creates something of interest to them again.

Anybody who is "disllusioned" by her needs to go....they need something more safe and guaranteed.

THE TRUTH :thumbsup:

Singles:

1 1 2 Cheryl Cole Fight For This Love

2 N 1 Westlife What About Now

3 N 1 Jay Sean feat. Lil Wayne Down

4 2 3 Alexandra Burke feat. Flo-rida Bad Boys

5 9 3 Michael Buble Haven't Met You Yet*

6 11 4 Black Eyed Peas Meet Me Halfway

7 3 4 Chipmunk Oopsy Daisy

8 5 4 Whitney Houston Million Dollar Bill

9 4 3 Robbie Williams Bodies

10 7 20 Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling

11 N 1 Miley Cyrus Party In The USA

12 6 7 Taio Cruz Break Your Heart*

13 8 7 Jay-Z Feat. Alicia Keys Empire State Of Mind*

14 N 1 Lady Gaga Bad Romance*

15 18 6 Tinchy Stryder You're Not Alone

16 15 12 Pitbull Hotel Room Service

17 N 1 Biffy Clyro The Captain

18 13 12 David Guetta feat. Akon Sexy Chick*

19 10 2 Young Soul Rebels I Got Soul

20 12 8 Shakira She Wolf

21 17 2 Cobra Starship Good Girls Go Bad

22 N 1 Armand Van Helden + Hi_Trak present Duck Sauce aNYway

23 14 4 The Saturdays Forever Is Over

24 16 13 The Temper Trap Sweet Disposition

25 30 2 Calvin Harris Flashback*

26 N 1 Cheryl Cole Feat. Will I Am 3 Words*

27 23 6 Dizzee Rascal Dirtee Cash*

28 33 3 Paolo Nutini Pencil Full Of Lead*

29 19 6 Jordin Sparks SOS (Let The Music Play)*

30 20 2 Alphabeat The Spell

31 26 58 Kings of Leon Sex On Fire

32 24 9 Pixie Lott Boys And Girls

33 21 7 Paloma Faith New York

34 N 1 Michael Buble Cry Me A River*

35 31 16 JLS Beat Again

36 27 4 The Big Pink Dominos

37 51 9 Florence & The Machine You Got The Love*

38 22 2 Foo Fighters Wheels*

39 68 6 Daughtry What About Now*

40 28 9 Jay-Z feat. Rihanna & Kanye West Run This Town*

41 41 6 Beyonce Broken Hearted Girl*

42 35 17 Beyonce Sweet Dreams

43 N 9 Michael Jackson Thriller

44 N 1 Kano Rock N Roller*

45 59 6 Kasabian Underdog*

46 32 15 Mr Hudson feat. Kanye West Supernova*

47 38 10 Dizzee Rascal Feat. Chrome Holiday

48 39 47 Jason Mraz I'm Yours

49 N 1 Jace Everett Bad Things*

50 40 14 Little Boots Remedy

51 34 6 Example Watch The Sun Come Up

52 N 10 Journey Don't Stop Believin'

53 N 1 Sway Mercedes Benz*

54 54 19 La Roux Bulletproof

55 53 57 Kings of Leon Use Somebody

56 50 27 Lady Gaga Paparazzi

57 R 3 Ray Parker Jr Ghostbusters

58 43 13 The Ian Carey Project Get Shaky

59 R 14 Michael Jackson Man In The Mirror

60 67 42 Lady Gaga Poker Face

61 R 2 Bobby Boris Pickett Monster Mash

62 52 12 Lady Gaga Lovegame

63 48 15 Sean Kingston Fire Burning

64 25 15 Christina Aguilera Hurt*

65 55 8 Mini Viva Left My Heart In Tokyo

66 65 25 Black Eyed Peas Boom Boom Pow

67 62 24 Daniel Merriweather Red

68 61 13 Tinchy Stryder feat. Amelle Never Leave You

69 36 3 Lostprophets It's Not The End Of The World

70 29 3 Mr Hudson White Lies*

71 58 8 Muse Uprising

72 N 1 Sean Kingston Face Drop*

73 37 3 Editors Papillon

74 N 1 Katherine Jenkins Bring Me To Life*

75 46 3 Dionne Bromfield Mama Said*

Albums:

1 N 1 Cheryl Cole 3 Words

2 2 2 Michael Buble Crazy Love

3 N 1 Michael Jackson This Is It

4 N 1 The Soldiers Coming Home

5 1 2 Alexandra Burke Overcome

6 N 1 Katherine Jenkins Believe

7 3 2 Whitney Houston I Look To You

8 N 1 Daniel O'Donnell Peace In The Valley

9 5 22 Paolo Nutini Sunny Side Up

10 6 44 Fleetwood Mac The Very Best Of

11 15 21 Black Eyed Peas The E.N.D.

12 8 3 Chipmunk I Am Chipmunk

13 10 10 Vera Lynn We'll Meet Again - The Very Best Of

14 4 2 Seasick Steve Man From Another Time

15 11 6 Dizzee Rascal Tongue N Cheek

16 7 2 Spandau Ballet Once More

17 19 58 Kings of Leon Only By The Night

18 21 7 Muse The Resistance

19 20 7 Peter Andre Revelation

20 9 5 Paloma Faith Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful

21 24 17 Florence & The Machine Lungs

22 22 27 Whitney Houston The Ultimate Collection

23 18 21 Kasabian West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum

24 17 2 Alison Moyet The Best Of

25 14 6 Madonna Celebration

26 13 6 Cliff Richard & The Shadows Reunited

27 23 7 Jay-Z Blueprint III

28 N 1 Harry Connick Jr Your Songs

29 N 1 Ultrabeat The Weekend Has Landed

30 27 4 Andy Williams The Very Best Of

31 31 42 Lady Gaga The Fame

32 51 11 Tinchy Stryder Catch 22

33 12 3 Editors In This Light & On This Evening

34 26 5 Barbra Streisand Love Is The Answer

35 N 1 Wolfmother Cosmic Egg

36 38 5 Newton Faulkner Rebuilt By Humans

37 35 3 Dionne Bromfield Introducing

38 28 3 Shakira She Wolf

39 36 6 Madness Total Madness

40 70 15 Michael Buble Call Me Irresponsible

41 29 4 Chris Rea Still So Far To Go: The Best Of

42 46 7 Pixie Lott Turn It Up

43 39 53 Pink FunHouse

44 34 3 Taio Cruz Rokstarr

45 37 5 Paramore Brand New Eyes

46 41 10 David Guetta One Love

47 33 69 Robbie Williams Greatest Hits

48 57 29 Michael Jackson The Essential

49 30 38 Lily Allen It's Not Me It's You

50 60 11 Calvin Harris Ready For The Weekend

51 43 11 The Temper TrapConditions

52 32 25 Green Day 21st Century Breakdown

53 47 50 Beyonce I Am Sasha Fierce

54 25 2 Mr Hudson Straight No Chaser

55 N 1 Morrissey Swords

56 48 6 Mika The Boy Who Knew Too Much

57 40 3 The Saturdays Wordshaker

58 56 49 The Killers Day & Age

59 N 1 Miike Snow Miike Snow

60 49 4 Mumford & Sons Sigh No More

61 62 15 Michael Jackson Bad

62 44 22 Boyzone Back Again...No Matter What

63 63 19 Michael Jackson Thriller

64 R 1 U2 The Unforgettable Fire

65 50 18 La Roux La Roux

66 54 96 Paolo Nutini These Streets

67 N 1 Madness One Step Beyond

68 N 1 REM Live At The Olympia

69 52 57 James Morrison Songs For You, Truths For Me

70 61 2 Daniel Merriweather Love & War

71 16 2 Rammstein Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da

72 42 74 Leona Lewis Spirit

73 45 3 Only Men Aloud Band Of Brothers

74 67 47 Take That The Circus

75 53 36 The Prodigy Invaders Must Die

Airplay Chart:

1 1 Cheryl Cole Fight For This Love

2 2 Alexandra Burke feat. Flo-rida Bad Boys

3 4 JLS Everybody In Love

4 15 Leona Lewis Happy

5 6 Jay-Z Feat. Alicia KeysEmpire State Of Mind

6 8 Chipmunk Oopsy Daisy

7 3 Taio Cruz Break Your Heart

8 16 Tinchy Stryder You're Not Alone

9 12 Whitney Houston Million Dollar Bill

10 7 Jay Sean feat. Lil Wayne Down

11 10 Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling

12 22 Paolo Nutini Pencil Full Of Lead

13 20 Black Eyed Peas Meet Me Halfway

14 5 Michael Buble Haven't Met You Yet

15 11 The Saturdays Forever Is Over

16 23 Beyonce Broken Hearted Girl

17 18 Shakira She Wolf

18 19 Beyonce Sweet Dreams

19 13 Pixie Lott Boys And Girls

20 30 Snow Patrol Just Say Yes

21 21 Jamie Cullum I'm All Over It

22 26 N-Dubz I Need You

23 14 Jordin Sparks SOS (Let The Music Play)

24 28 JLS Beat Again

25 25 Michael Jackson This Is It

26 33 Duck Sauce aNYway

27 45 Bon Jovi We Weren't Born To Follow

28 161 Will Young Hopes & Fears

29 36 Sugababes About A Girl

30 41 Lady Gaga Bad Romance

31 27 Pitbull Hotel Room Service

32 24 Spandau Ballet Once More

33 35 Calvin Harris Flashback

34 50 Daniel Merriweather Feat. Adele Water And A Flame

35 29 Biffy Clyro The Captain

36 66 Rihanna Russian Roulette

37 44 Dizzee Rascal Dirtee Cash

38 39 Kings of Leon Sex On Fire

39 48 Florence & The MachineYou Got The Love

40 74 Ingrid Michaelson Maybe

41 91 Alesha Dixon To Love Again

42 31 David Guetta feat. AkonSexy Chick

43 9 Robbie Williams Bodies

44 42 Daniel Merriweather Red

45 59 Athlete Black Swan Song

46 56 Stereophonics Innocent

47 117 James Morrison Get To You

48 54 Britney Spears 3

49 55 Susan Boyle Wild Horses

50 34 Cobra Starship feat. Leighton Meester Good Girls Go Bad

TV Airplay:

1 1 Alexandra Burke feat. Flo-rida Bad Boys

2 2 Cheryl Cole Fight For This Love

3 3 Chipmunk Oopsy Daisy

4 24 Dizzee Rascal Dirtee Cash

5 4 Tinchy Stryder You're Not Alone

6 6 JLS Everybody In Love

7 13 Black Eyed Peas Meet Me Halfway

8 5 Taio Cruz Break Your Heart

9 11 Jay Sean feat. Lil Wayne Down

10 10 N-Dubz I Need You

11 8 David Guetta feat. AkonSexy Chick

12 7 Jordin Sparks SOS (Let The Music Play)

12 15 Whitney Houston Million Dollar Bill

14 19 Calvin Harris Flashback

15 120 Leona Lewis Happy

16 9 The Saturdays Forever Is Over

17 12 Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling

18 33 Cobra Starship feat. Leighton Meester Good Girls Go Bad

19 21 Beyonce Broken Hearted Girl

19 27 Foo Fighters Wheels

21 15 Robbie Williams Bodies

22 14 Jay-Z feat. Rihanna & Kanye West Run This Town

23 32 Basshunter I Promised Myself

24 61 Green Day 21st Century Breakdown

25 18 Shakira She Wolf

26 23 Duck Sauce aNYway

27 20 Sugababes About A Girl

28 29 Pitbull Hotel Room Service

28 28 The Temper Trap Sweet Disposition

30 26 Alesha Dixon To Love Again

31 38 Kings of Leon Sex On Fire

32 25 Example Watch The Sun Come Up

33 51 Young Soul Rebels I Got Soul

34 17 Dizzee Rascal Feat. Chrome Holiday

35 30 Beyonce Sweet Dreams

35 22 Paramore Ignorance

37 38 Michael Buble Haven't Met You Yet

38 81 Lily Allen Who'd Have Known

39 31 Editors Papillon

40 35 Muse Uprising

JLS are building a huge lead on itunes. They will be number 1 next Sunday.

Not sure about the albums. Don't think Crappy Cole will hold on. Buble outsold her Friday and Saturday so he may make it, though I expect there is another big album out.

Guest groovyguy

:clap:

Perhaps the disillusioned fans need to take a break!

Guest Danny86

As a reference, here's the Top 50 best selling albums of the UK (cut off date is August 22nd, 2009) from UKmix:

1 QUEEN Greatest Hits Parlophone 1981 : 5,780,000

2 THE BEATLES Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band Parlophone 1967 : 4,910,000

3 ABBA Gold – Greatest Hits Polydor 1992 : 4,648,000

4 OASIS What's The Story Morning Glory Creation 1995 : 4,435,000

5 MICHAEL JACKSON Thriller Epic 1982 : 4,096,000

6 DIRE STRAITS Brothers In Arms Vertigo 1985 : ~4,075,000

7 PINK FLOYD The Dark Side Of The Moon Harvest 1973 : ~3,968,000

8 QUEEN Greatest Hits II Parlophone 1991 : 3,840,000

9 MICHAEL JACKSON Bad Epic 1987 : 3,771,000

10 MADONNA The Immaculate Collection Sire 1990 : ~3,570,000

11 SIMPLY RED Stars East West 1991 : ~3,405,000

12 SHANIA TWAIN Come On Over Mercury 1998 : ~3,360,000

13 FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours Warner Brothers 1977 : ~3,259,000

14 JAMES BLUNT Back To Bedlam Atlantic 2005 : 3,181,000

15 THE VERVE Urban Hymns Hut 1997 : ~3,170,000

16 DIDO No Angel Cheeky 2000 : 3,050,000

17 SIMON & GARFUNKEL Bridge Over Troubled Water CBS 1970 : ~3,049,000

18 AMY WINEHOUSE Back To Black Island 2006 : ~3,000,000

19 MEAT LOAF Bat Out Of Hell Epic 1978 : ~2,950,000

20 THE CORRS Talk On Corners Atlantic 1997 : ~2,949,000

21 SPICE GIRLS Spice Virgin 1996 : ~2,930,000

22 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK Dirty Dancing RCA 1987 : ~2,912,000

23 DAVID GRAY White Ladder IHT/East West 2000 : ~2,910,000

24 BOB MARLEY & THE WAILERS Legend Island/Tuff Gong 1984 : ~2,855,000

25 DIDO Life For Rent Cheeky 2003 : ~2,850,000

26 THE BEATLES 1 Apple 2000 : ~2,843,000

27 LEONA LEWIS Spirit Syco 2007 : 2,819,000

28 U2 The Joshua Tree Island 1987 : ~2,762,000

29 PHIL COLLINS ...But Seriously Virgin 1989 : ~2,741,000

30 COLDPLAY A Rush Of Blood To The Head Parlophone 2002 - 2,715,000

31 KEANE Hopes And Fears Island 2004 : ~2,713,000

32 SCISSOR SISTERS Scissor Sisters Polydor 2004 : ~2,700,000

33 TRAVIS The Man Who Independiente 1999 : ~2,677,000

34 TAKE THAT Beautiful World Polydor 2006 : ~2,636,000

35 MIKE OLDFIELD Tubular Bells Virgin 1973 : 2,630,000

36 JEFF WAYNE’S MUSICAL VERSION War Of The Worlds CBS 1978 : ~2,610,000

37 ABBA Greatest Hits Epic 1976 : ~2,607,000

38 ALANIS MORISSETTE Jagged Little Pill Maverick 1995 : ~2,605,000

39 COLDPLAY X&Y Parlophone 2005 : 2,572,000

40 ROBBIE WILLIAMS I’ve Been Expecting You Chrysalis 1998 : ~2,565,000

41 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK Grease RSO 1978 : ~2,495,000

42 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK The Sound Of Music RCA Victor 1965 : ~2,490,000

43 COLDPLAY Parachutes Parlophone 2000 : 2,461,000

44 NORAH JONES Come Away With Me Parlophone 2002 : ~2,455,000

45 TRACY CHAPMAN Tracy Chapman Elektra 1988 : ~2,450,000

46 GEORGE MICHAEL Ladies & Gentlemen – The Best Of Epic 1998 : ~2,417,000

47 FLEETWOOD MAC Tango In The Night Warner Brothers 1987 : ~2,365,000

48 ROBSON & JEROME Robson & Jerome RCA 1995 : ~2,335,000

49 REM Automatic For The People Warner Brothers 1992 : ~2,307,000

50 SNOW PATROL Eyes Open Fiction/Polydor 2006 : 2,276,000

If I'm counting well, there are 8 GHs in this list and apart from the Beatles, the rest of the GH acts do not have a studio album here. So while it's true that there are some hugely successful GHs that did proportionally better than in the US (apart from the Beatles again), I think expectations towards GHs in general are exaggerated.

There are some albums here that reached this list on the back of practically ONE huge hit song, so the argument about many old hits making an album sell big might not be the general rule.