The Official UK Charts Thread

thebigham

take the side note to his death thread :thumbsup:

well actually, i've changed my mind. it isn't actually a side note as it totally relates to this UK charts thread, as it is an article about the fact his death has increased his record sales in a major way, so is perhaps a sign that yet more rubbish released from his team will zoom up the charts after some promo last night (something about a premiere of some film).

well actually, i've changed my mind. it isn't actually a side note as it totally relates to this UK charts thread, as it is an article about the fact his death has increased his record sales in a major way, so is perhaps a sign that yet more rubbish released from his team will zoom up the charts after some promo last night (something about a premiere of some film).

rather tenuous wouldnt you agree, take it to the MJ thread. :thumbsup:

rather tenuous wouldnt you agree, take it to the MJ thread. :thumbsup:

how about you worry about something a little more serious than 'thread filing'. do you work in admin? :)

god, im sooo glad the Westlife will NOT be #1 this Sunday !!! Surprised more people here havent been thrilled by that. Theyre awful is every possible way, and they have only dissed Madonna over the years. Theres just nothing redeeming about them.

how about you worry about something a little more serious than 'thread filing'. do you work in admin? :)

i feel its extremely important in the grand scheme of things. life changing almost.

god, im sooo glad the Westlife will NOT be #1 this Sunday !!! Surprised more people here havent been thrilled by that. Theyre awful is every possible way, and they have only dissed Madonna over the years. Theres just nothing redeeming about them.

yeah they are pathetic cunts. but nobody gives a shit enough about these choir boys to show any delight at their chart placings.

I know this is a UK thread but she has just sold about 1,000,000 copies worldwide in a month of an album full of songs that anybody could've made themselves for free if they want to. It has been the number one selling album in the world since it's release. You can't really do much better than that.

You summed it up best :vogue:

I don't think the Christmas rush has kicked in yet when people buy greatest hits. It will be interesting to see if sales start to increase towards the end of November.

As for 'This is It', I checked out the tracklist today and it was really disappointing. You may as well by HIStory and download the new single.

I don't think the Christmas rush has kicked in yet when people buy greatest hits. It will be interesting to see if sales start to increase towards the end of November.

As for 'This is It', I checked out the tracklist today and it was really disappointing. You may as well by HIStory and download the new single.

that´s the problem:you have to buy all the album to have the new song

Yes, it is THAT bad. I don't know why you're going on about "but it should sell more because of her status" when there were no signs that this GH could defy gravity. TIC was already dead last year, cherry-picking killed it, GHV2 was never a huge seller and almost never re-entered the charts, so why a third GH would suddenly cause interest? Like someone said, in 2009 it's naive to think there were a lot of people holding off for a 2 disc GH because it doesn't work like that anymore.

Of course it should sell more. She has been the Queen of the Uk charts for 25 years. 200,000 after 6 weeks is pathetic and had it been a success it would still at least be in the top 10, re of poor sales.

What cherry-picking? Have any of the classic songs sold significant amounts over the last year?

We are going to have 2 albums in a row that have managed to sell 100,000 plus on the back off 1 song (AB has had 2) and solid promo. The industry is not that dead for those who want. There are people who are willing to buy a full album based on 1 song and even from first releases.

I thought Robbie Williams had a new album out this week? I think his album will be an indication of how the industry is.

Whether Madonna wants to promote or not thats a different story but the album would have sold much more had it been promoted. Madonna is not Jacko that people will get tired of her compilations. The title is "Celebration" - but wheres the party?

Of course it should sell more. She has been the Queen of the Uk charts for 25 years. 200,000 after 6 weeks is pathetic and had it been a success it would still at least be in the top 10, re of poor sales.

What cherry-picking? Have any of the classic songs sold significant amounts over the last year?

We are going to have 2 albums in a row that have managed to sell 100,000 plus on the back off 1 song (AB has had 2) and solid promo. The industry is not that dead for those who want. There are people who are willing to buy a full album based on 1 song and even from first releases.

I thought Robbie Williams had a new album out this week? I think his album will be an indication of how the industry is.

Whether Madonna wants to promote or not thats a different story but the album would have sold much more had it been promoted. Madonna is not Jacko that people will get tired of her compilations. The title is "Celebration" - but wheres the party?

To sell NOWADAYS 200 k in 6 weeks is pathetic? so we can call Whitney, Mariah, Shakira, Barbra etc etc more pathetic then?, them releasing new material and not a greates hits?.

Some guys when it comes to diminish someone rely on the irrational and laughable. You bitches should go doing your homework before just shoot shit pretending to "have an opinion". Go checking out the numbers out there of other names and how they're doing.Some are doing fine in the US(there fine nowadays is selling less than 500k)but are doing bad everywhere else. Some do fine in the UK but bad everywhere else. Nowadays it's not about how much you sell alone in the US or the UK because both markets have collapsed brutally in the recent years; nowadays "small markets" share to the final total is more important and that is how Celebration surpasses by 2 or 3 times many other artists sales outside the US or the UK. And on top of this it is a very stupid thing to go leveling a Greatest Hits with a New Album, specially NOWADAYS!. Morons go jumping in their stilletoes saying: oh Celebration is a Flop, Celebration's sales are pathetic, etc etc just because they want to bring down a woman who has been out for over 25 years and they would want her to be a sweet granny weaving scarfs for her grandsons and having aches instead of breaking Tour Records, making music, still surviving in a more and more decadent in terms of sales industry and on top of that, fucking a brazilian guy RIGHT IN THEIR PETTY BITTER FACES! GET AN ENEMA BITCHES!

Guest Danny86

^ :lmao: Well said!

Some people REALLY need to check what year we're living in now if they do believe millions of people would flock to replace the 10th best selling album of the UK with NEW CDs.

"200k after 6 weeks is pathetic"... Must be nice to still live in 2001.

SENSE :clap:

And Robbie's album is out on 9/11.

Guest Danny86

What's "alot more" exactly?

Year-to-date sales as of last week:

1 Only by the Night - Kings of Leon 923,000

2 The Fame - Lady Gaga 780,000

3 It's not Me, It's You - Lily Allen 642,000

4 I am Sasha Fierce - Beyoncé 553,000

5 The Essential - Michael Jackson 546,000

6 Invaders Must Die - The Prodigy 503,000

7 The Circus - Take That 464,000

8 Songs for You, Truths for Me - James Morrison 442,000

9 Sunny Side Up - Paulo Nutini 425,000

10 West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum - Kasabian 407,000

11 Funhouse - Pink 383,703

12 Day & Age - The Killers 380,000

13 Relapse - Eminem 374,000

14 Rockferry - Duffy 363,000

15 No Line on the Horizon - U2 361,000

16 The Seldom seen Kid - Elbow 355,000

17 The Script - The Script 314,000

18 21st Century Breakdown - Green Day 310,000

19 Lungs - Florence & the Machine 310,000

20 Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes 301,500

21 The End - Black Eyed Peas 299,000

22 Freedom - Akon 294,000

23 The Resistance - Muse 274,000

24 The Collection - Annie Lennox 244,600

25 We Sing, We Dance,We Steal Things - Jason Mraz 244,500

26 Fearless - Taylor Swift 241,000

27 La Roux - La Roux 234,500

28 Bad - Michael Jackson 227,500

29 Love & War - Daniel Merriweather 224,000

30 We'll Meet Again - Vera Lynn 222,000

31 We Started Nothing - The Ting Tings 215,000

32 Oracular Spectacular - MGMT 213,000

33 Songs for my Mother - Ronan Keating 212,000

34 Gold - Greatest Hits - Abba 210,000

35 The Alesha Show - Alesha Dixon 206,000

36 Chasing Lights - The Saturdays 204,000

37 Thriller - Michael Jackson 203,000

38 Working on a Dream - Bruce Springsteen 189,000

39 Celebration - Madonna 187,719

40 Year of the Gentleman - Ne-Yo 187,000

Let's say if Madonna promoted, it would be at 400k and among the top 10 of 2009. Yet, that still would be only half of what GHV2 did WITHOUT ANY PROMO and as you can see with GHV2 sales you can be TOP 2 in 2009. The best selling album of 2009 might not reach 1 million copies sold (if I'm not wrong, only #3 in the top 5 is a 2009 album), which hadn't happened since 1979 & 1980 (when Parallel Lines and Super Trouper were the biggest albums but below 1m). So I'm just not getting why the assumption that a Madonna greatest hits that's filled with songs that appeared on 2 albums at least could have the potential to turn these dismal numbers upside down.

Friday Update Top 40 Update, courtesy of Haven.

Jay Sean is selling more per day that Westlife and so could catch them for runners up in the singles chart. No major sales spike for MJ, though all the top 3 are going to have great weekly sales. Cheryl's sales have slowed slightly but Buble is not selling enough to catch her, though he is keeping pace. At least Westlife have no chance of number 1 now with their lasy piece of shit cover version. Buy Daughtry instead.

Singles

1 Cheryl Cole (107.9k)

2 Westlife (62.7k)

3 Jay Sean (56.6k)

4 Alexandra Burke (54k)

5 Michael Bublé (31.9k)

Top 10

Black Eyed Peas [MMH]

Miley Cyrus

Top 15

Tinchy Stryder

Top 20

Biffy Clyro

Lady GaGa

Duck Sauce

Top 30

Cheryl Cole [3 Words]

Calvin Harris

Paolo Nutini

Top 40

Michael Bublé [CMAR]

Daughtry

Florence & The Machine

Beyonce [bHG]

Albums

1 Cheryl Cole (91.5k)

2 Michael Buble (74.3k)

3 Michael Jackson (53.4k)

4 Alexandra Burke (39.5k)

5 Soldiers (38.2k)

Top 10

Katherine Jenkins

Daniel O'Donnell

Top 15

BEPs

Top 20

Kings Of Leon

Muse

Whitney Houston [ult. Col]

Top 30

Florence + The Machine

Harry Connick Jr

Ultrabeat

Lady GaGa

Top 40

Wolfmother

Tinchy Stryder

Just noticed and am shocked at how poorly received Gaga's new single is on this weeks chart but then I guess it has only just been sent to Radio. It is now top ten on itunes.

Westlife have already slipped to 5 on itunes. Maybe Jay Sean and Alexandra will catch them by close of play Saturday. Excellent.

Once again, what were some people's expectations for the album? It contains material on two compilation albums that, combined, have sold more than 4.2 million copies in the UK (16 of the36 tracks on an album that's sold 3.6m+). The album hit #1 and sold more in the UK in its first week than the USA, which probably was the first time that's happened. The album could be a decent seller over time- man, people are gleefully judging it as if it were a new studio recording. The new single reached #2 in airplay, but enjoyed a rapid freefall down the airplay charts- so why exactly would there be a mad rush to own the album for most of the public, especially with no promo? Exactly.

Once again, what were some people's expectations for the album? It contains material on two compilation albums that, combined, have sold more than 4.2 million copies in the UK (16 of the36 tracks on an album that's sold 3.6m+). The album hit #1 and sold more in the UK in its first week than the USA, which probably was the first time that's happened. The album could be a decent seller over time- man, people are gleefully judging it as if it were a new studio recording. The new single reached #2 in airplay, but enjoyed a rapid freefall down the airplay charts- so why exactly would there be a mad rush to own the album for most of the public, especially with no promo? Exactly.

HolidayGuy, when are you coming to the UK? You could introduce the links between the songs on the Radio 1 Chart Show with Fearne and Reggie. Ratings would SOAR.

^ :lmao: Well said!

Some people REALLY need to check what year we're living in now if they do believe millions of people would flock to replace the 10th best selling album of the UK with NEW CDs.

"200k after 6 weeks is pathetic"... Must be nice to still live in 2001.

Oh lord once again the year is mentionned LOL

Its Madonna's 2nd album in a row thats under performing. Ok this potentially could be a big long term seller but its chart drops

Lets disregard the sales as its not 2001. BUT the chart position should still be "higher" should nt it?

Or have chart positions somehow changed or been manipulated to make it harder for Madonna?

If she was not that interested in the project then WHY release a single and album title which are similar and a homage to her career with the single referencing some of her classic works? They could have just called it Greatest Hits. She did not have to record 2 new songs.

people are gleefully judging it as if it were a new studio recording. The new single reached #2 in airplay, but enjoyed a rapid freefall down the airplay charts- so why exactly would there be a mad rush to own the album for most of the public, especially with no promo? Exactly.

Its a Greatest Hits and they can do better in the UK than studio albums. A GH which is a massive chart hit instantly such as ABBA Gold and TIC will sell well over a long period. A GH which is mediocre ie GHV2 wil be forgotten about. Celebration had poor openening sales obviously because of inadequate promo. I would not saylack of promo because a new song has been released, tv and poster adverts put out, radio stations have played classic songs and there has been some magazine coverage. It will only get good XMAS sales if it's in the top 10.

At the moment we are looking at a GHV2 style fade away. I will buy a few people it as a Xmas present. A couple of people I know have not bought it yet as the order is so fucked up. Its not a smooth transtional ride but a bumpy journey.

And on top of this it is a very stupid thing to go leveling a Greatest Hits with a New Album, specially NOWADAYS!. Morons go jumping in their stilletoes saying: oh Celebration is a Flop, Celebration's sales are pathetic, etc etc just because they want to bring down a woman who has been out for over 25 years and they would want her to be a sweet granny weaving scarfs for her grandsons and having aches instead of breaking Tour Records, making music, still surviving in a more and more decadent in terms of sales industry and on top of that, fucking a brazilian guy RIGHT IN THEIR PETTY BITTER FACES! GET AN ENEMA BITCHES!

Dont talk about sales nowadays when if you look at the chart ABBA GOLD has sold more than Celebration this year, so far.

We all know why Jesus is with Madonna, and its because it makes him more famous no other reason.

Dont talk about sales nowadays when if you look at the chart ABBA GOLD has sold more than Celebration this year, so far.

We all know why Jesus is with Madonna, and its because it makes him more famous no other reason.

Celebration has been out less than 2 months. Why are you comparing it's sales to the sales of Abba Gold for the entire year?? :wacko:

I have no idea why Jesus and Madonna are together....and neither do you, or any of the other countless morons without a clue. Perhaps they care about each other...or just like to fuck. It's really not our concern.

Guest Danny86

Fak you're really a lost cause. You do know Madonna released Celebration BECAUSE she had to release it as her final contractual obligation. She recorded 2 new songs for the fans who complained about no new songs on GHV2. She's not an indie artist so she does what her label tells her you know in certain cases, and compilations are like that.

I totally don't see your point of comparing Celebration with the 10th and 3rd best selling albums of the UK. Do you really think because of that EVERY compilation should do amazingly in the UK even though sales are bad? ABBA Gold is a CONSTANT seller and has outsold TIC by almost a million and it's still riding on last year's ABBA revival. Just accept that ABBA did better than Madonna in this regard. And yes, last year LAP did re-enter the singles chart in 2008 along with HU but TIC sales were minimal compared to previous eras and I think the tour didn't even help it (which put HC back to #10 for that week, BTW).

Also, why should position be higher? How is Celebration supposed to chart higher than new albums and by those who get more airplay and tv promo?

Anyway, you still didn't explain why you think people should be rushing to buy around 24 songs for the 3rd time and the rest for a second time, other than "but compilations do well in the UK!". Sorry but it's entirely your problem that you thought this GH could be something else than a "fade away" in 2009. And don't start with the "but it's not a Ciara or Steven Rachel GH" shit again because you know those would not debut at #1, and sell 200k in 5 weeks.

The fact that Abba Gold is higher than her says it all really :lmao:

Yes, it says "A megaseller movie celebrating a classic group plus a huge media coverage makes you rediscover an artist = high CD sales".

MJ success after death says "A cross media coverage for months make you rediscover and artist = high CD sales".

The Twilight album says "A blockbuster movie with a well-defined target makes you buy everything related to the movie".

The Hannah Montana/High School Musical success say the same things.

The fact is that you've got to be a popular phenomenon if you want to sell something only in the musical field, and it happens only one/two times per artist nowadays (Blunt in 2005, Winehouse in 2007, Kings Of Leon the last/this year, Take That). The time of huge megasellers with every release is long gone.

I mean, U2 released their lowest selling album this year. Coldplay, higly celebrated, with VLV had a 50% decrease in the UK. James Blunt seems to be over. Mika sold 1,5 millions in the UK alone and now he's struggling to sell 100K. Franz Ferdinand sold 1,5 millions, then 500K, now 80K. Keane 2,5 millions and now barely 300K. Where are the Scissor Sisters?

And we're worrying about Madonna's SIXTH compilation? Because it sold "only" 200K in 1 1/2 months? Four millions people in the UK has got the 50% of this compilation since 1990. Another million (circa) bought GHV2. Almost 2 millions people bought Hung Up (in COADF, as a single, in TCT). Almost 800K people last year bought 4 Minutes (single and HC)...

Guest Danny86
And we're worrying about Madonna's SIXTH compilation? Because it sold "only" 200K in 1 1/2 months? Four millions people in the UK has got the 50% of this compilation since 1990. Another million (circa) bought GHV2. Almost 2 millions people bought Hung Up (in COADF, as a single, in TCT). Almost 800K people last year bought 4 Minutes (single and HC)...

Not to mention that the songs that differ from TIC, like "Everybody" or "Dress You Up" are NOT a reason in 2009 to replace an old Madonna compilation, neither songs from her lesser eras commercially like "Secret" or "Hollywood" which are also on this album. But it seems Madonna is called the Queen of UK because every single from "Holiday" to "Give It 2 Me" managed to spend one week in the top 20, no matter that half of them sold less than stellar and many of them are hardly anymore remembered than "Burning Up" or "Miles Away" today...

And other than TIC and ABBA Gold, when exactly were GHs outselling studio albums? I guess there might be a few other cases (maybe George Michael?), but for example MJ's GH sales don't even come near to Thriller, Bad and Dangerous totals, neither did Ultimate Kylie come close to Fever or her debut LP. And not even mentioning that all the other post-Gold ABBA compilations were flops compared to that one and none of them replaced it. Because it's the same songs? Well what is Celebration compared to TIC and GHV2 then?! :doh: