The Official UK Charts Thread

thebigham

so where is the album?

this weeks charts prove that X Factor (embarrassingly) makes ALL the difference when you think a song as utterly SHIT as cheryl tweedys can sell so much in one day!

1 1 Alexandra Burke Overcome

2 1 Michael Buble Crazy Love

3 2 Whitney Houston I Look To You

4 1 Rammstein Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da

5 1 Seasick Steve Man From Another Time

6 21 Paolo Nutini Sunny Side Up Nutini

7 4 Paloma Faith Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful

8 1 Spandau Ballet Once More

9 2 Chipmunk I Am Chipmunk

10 2 Editors In This Light & On This Evening

11 1 Mr Hudson Straight No Chaser

12 5 Madonna Celebration Madonna/ Various

Shocked at Cheryl's success, have not seen the "performance" yet but I guess it had all the PROMOTIONAL ingredients to be a massive hit.

Funny that it is going to be a bigger hit that all of the GA sigles bar their first.

Can't believe its dropped to #12 :( Hopefully it'll still be top 10 by the end of the week!! Still though, for it to go to #1 and do 4 weeks in the top 3 is brilliant!

Anyways, as far as promotion is concerned, she was seen heading back to London with Lola! Hopefully, she'll do something for the album whilst shes here other than pick her sons up from Guy.

Midweeks until midnight on tuesday

1 N Alexandra Burke Overcome

2 N Michael Buble Crazy Love

3 N Whitney Houston I Look To You

4 N Seasick Steve Man From Another Time

5 N Rammstein Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da

6 5 Paolo Nutini Sunny Side Up Nutini

7 N Spandau Ballet Once More

8 16 Paloma Faith Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful

9 2 Chipmunk I Am Chipmunk

10 1 Editors In This Light & On This Evening

11 N Fleetwood Mac The Very Best Of

12 3 Madonna Celebration

Guest Danny86

Cheryl sales at 176k! :shock:

Alexandra album at 63k, what a huge discrepancy between albums and singles now.

And of course X-Factor matters, but out of 15 million viewers it's not THAT much of an achievement for Whitney to most likely get 50k in both singles and albums. But I wonder how much profit did Whitney and her label make out of that?

Guest stevejb4u

Do we have any sales figures for the entire top 10, gives us an idea of what figures Madonna has to reach & beat to get back into top 10. Maybe the rumoured PR she is doing next few days in uk will help build the profile up again. Sales will start increasing more next month as people will start buying for xmas etc and with a few more big releases out soon too she needs to get some Pr in now. Or do a Platinum version of the album that has a few new mixes on ( another rumour is that some mixes of Holiday & Into the Groove are in the pipeline right now ready for release for xmas, unless there part of a Revolver package???) .

Guest Danny86

I think most upcoming weeks have several debuts lined up so it won't be easy for Madonna to get back to top 10, but she should stay in the top 20 for quite a while, and sales will be higher anyway.

I wouldn't put much faith in those remixes, they will probably be digital only.

Cheryl sales at 176k! shock.gif

To put this in perspective,

* Alexandra sold 187,000 copies in total last week, with Bad Boys, which currently holds the title for the biggest first-week sales of the year.

* Fight For This Love will likely match or exceed the first-week sales of any Girls Aloud single since their debut Sound of the Underground which shifted 213k in 2002 (Christmas week)

* Fight For This Love will likely garner the highest first-week sales for a non-reality act since Kylie's Can't Get You Out Of My Head in 2001.

Phenomenal sales. Cherly Cole - Queen of the Charts.

Poor Dannii :lmao:

Guest stevejb4u

:rolleyes:

Quoted from Madonnatribe

But for die hard fans the most exciting news regarding her music is that for Christmas we'll also get brand new house remixes of two of her biggest classics: Holiday and Into The Groove!

Guest Danny86

Thu from Haven

Singles

1 Cheryl Cole 210.8k :shock:

2 Alexandra Burke 74.5k

3 Chipmunk 27.7k

4 Robbie Williams 27.4k

5 Whitney Houston 26.5k

Top 10

Young Soul Rebels

Top 15

Cobra Starship

Black Eyed Peas (MMH)

Top 20

Alphabeat

Top 30

Christina Aguilera

Foo Fighters

Big Pink

Calvin Harris

Top 40

Paolo Nutini

Mr Hudson ft. Kanye

Jason Mraz

Whitney Houston [i Didn't Know My Own Strength]

Albums

1 Alexandra Burke 78.9k

2 Michael Buble 41.1k

3 Whitney Houston 32.6k

4 Seasick Steve 12.1k

5 Paolo Nutini 10k

Top 10

Spandu Ballet

Rammstein

Fleetwood Mac

Paloma Faith

Top 15

Editors

Top 20

Mr Hudson

Whitney Houston [ultimate Collection]

Top 30

Black Eyed Peas

Dionne Bromfield

Alison Moyet

Top 40

Green Day

Midweek chart up until midnight on wednesday

1 N 1 Alexandra Burke Overcome

2 N 1 Michael Buble Crazy Love

3 N 1 Whitney Houston I Look To You tbc

4 N 1 Seasick Steve Man From Another Time

5 5 21 Paolo Nutini Sunny Side Up

6 N 1 Spandau Ballet Once More

7 N 1 Rammstein Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da

8 2 2 Chipmunk I Am Chipmunk

9 N 43 Fleetwood Mac The Very Best Of

10 16 4 Paloma Faith Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful

11 1 2 Editors In This Light & On This Evening Flood

12 6 9 Vera Lynn We'll Meet Again -

13 3 5 Madonna Celebration

Wow at Cheryl's sales - hope she doesn't eclipse Kylie's first week sales but i think she might as she is selling 30k ( :shock: ) a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In fact, think of all the fantastic pop songs she is going to outsell, assuming her sales stay strong over the coming weeks. It may even end up being the years top seller.

Guest Danny86

What is Kylie's sales record and is that really the biggest first week sales of the decade not counting charity and reality show winner singles?

* Fight For This Love will likely garner the highest first-week sales for a non-reality act since Kylie's Can't Get You Out Of My Head in 2001.

Non-reality act?

Cheryl Cole IS a product of music-reality shows.

Girls Aloud were a product of UK's Popstars, and now she's a judge on X-Factor.

Just saying...

What is Kylie's sales record and is that really the biggest first week sales of the decade not counting charity and reality show winner singles?

Don't know if Kylie holds the record but her first week sales for CGYOOMH were 306k :shock: . That was all from physical sales too. It is hard to believe that the major singles from the mids 90s to early 00's could sell so many copies in a week.

Downloads are really taking off and I bet these figures will be routine in years to come, unless another format takes over.

Just looked back and as Braby stated, it will be either the biggest since Kylie, or possibly a bigger first week seller than Kylie. Shaggy sold more in its first week this decade than Kylie but CGYOOMH came later in 2001.

Of course, there is the debate of whether Cheryl is classed as a song from a reality show or on her own merits. But it certainly isn't the song from the reality show winner.

Heartbreaking? It's not THAT serious. :lol: Many debuts, plus it had a single that's nosedived down the airplay charts (like "American Pie" did back in 2000).

Ok its dissapointing then :) Its been great to see her in the top 3 for the last month and err i just wanted it to stay that way! I know its kinda sad of me but yeah...

What is the appeal in this Cheryl Cole song? Eve when it has been autotuned her voice sounds really awful. It sounds like an album track. Why do so many people like it?

It is easy to say people are buying it because of X-factor but the song was a no1 arplay hit last week and not all x-factor performances gaurantee a no1. Just ask Whitney, Robbie, Britney and Mariah who did nt even go top 75.

just went to you tube to hear that Cheryl song for the 1st time. All I can say is yawn lol - what exactly about this song is making it SUCH a monster? It's a bit catchy and frothy- that's it. Really not at ALL that epic to be selling much as it is lol. totally sounds like a passable, top 5 kind of song.