The Official UK Charts Thread

thebigham

Of course they liked it, anything that hits the charts is liked, it's ranked by the amount of people who like them enough to buy them after all. But the #1 song is the most liked song of the week and that always has some additional thing going on, "high airplay" is the very least. It has nothing to do with "best song out there now". The whole discussion started when people said "Celebration" not hitting #1 is a testament to its quality, which remains just as stupid as to say "Madonna cannot hit #1 now because many UKers hate her for divorcing Guy and abandoning the country".

Madonna did not hit the top of the UK charts for 8 years in the 90s yet is it now when they think the crown is slipping, because now every lead off single should hit #1 that did not have its video pulled? Doesn't work like that and I'm afraid we're gonna go through the same thing next September. If Madonna is indeed doing X-Factor this year, I can't see massive UK promo for the next album.

I'm not so sure - there will be a lot riding on her next album in terms of the Live Nation deal being so widely publicised and it being the first musical fruits of that deal. It would be very embarrassing for her if it tanks.

Anyone anticipating a decent album from the LN deal is deluded - it was all about maximising income from touring while she still can - the albums will be half arsed affairs to raise her profile ahead of each tour being announced.

Anyone expecting you to say anything that's not a half-arsed attempt to be 'controversial' is similarly deluded.

I'm not so sure - there will be a lot riding on her next album in terms of the Live Nation deal being so widely publicised and it being the first musical fruits of that deal. It would be very embarrassing for her if it tanks.

While it's true the press will make hype about the LN deal, I don't think for the average music fan it'll feel different. I disagree about the embarrassment though, obviously Madonna and LN will be aiming to top S&ST in terms of gross so the only purpose of a new album is to make an excuse for the tour. Most likely the album will led by another irresistible pop track that will be top 3 anyway and the album will be sold to the core fanbase but all the stops will be for the tour.

If Madonna wants to tour Australia, she will have to do rehearsals in the fall, so even before the CD drops, and even if she starts tour in 2011, then after the CD drops she'll immediately go to rehersals, which will make the same pattern as HC. Not saying it's 100% sure that's the schedule, but to me that looks the most reasonable one, taking into account that Warner might still be the distributor of her albums.

U2 sold like 360k with their new album so far in the UK but you don't see them being bothered when they are making massive success with the tour...

While it's true the press will make hype about the LN deal, I don't think for the average music fan it'll feel different. I disagree about the embarrassment though, obviously Madonna and LN will be aiming to top S&ST in terms of gross so the only purpose of a new album is to make an excuse for the tour. Most likely the album will led by another irresistible pop track that will be top 3 anyway and the album will be sold to the core fanbase but all the stops will be for the tour.

If Madonna wants to tour Australia, she will have to do rehearsals in the fall, so even before the CD drops, and even if she starts tour in 2011, then after the CD drops she'll immediately go to rehersals, which will make the same pattern as HC. Not saying it's 100% sure that's the schedule, but to me that looks the most reasonable one, taking into account that Warner might still be the distributor of her albums.

U2 sold like 360k with their new album so far in the UK but you don't see them being bothered when they are making massive success with the tour...

Given the figures that were quoted for the LN deal, there is a huge interest for all involved in making sure that Madonna doesn't just sell to her core audience. And they must surely know that if Madonna is going to be touring more frequently they can't just rely on the name 'Madonna' to sell a tour?

U2's album may not have sold well by their previous standards but it's still the number one seller of 2009 (worldwide).

I just don't really know where this idea that Madonna will start tossing off albums came from - she's never done that, and she didn't do it with 'Hard Candy' whatever you may personally feel about it.

Given the figures that were quoted for the LN deal, there is a huge interest for all involved in making sure that Madonna doesn't just sell to her core audience. And they must surely know that if Madonna is going to be touring more frequently they can't just rely on the name 'Madonna' to sell a tour?

U2's album may not have sold well by their previous standards but it's still the number one seller of 2009 (worldwide).

I just don't really know where this idea that Madonna will start tossing off albums came from - she's never done that, and she didn't do it with 'Hard Candy' whatever you may personally feel about it.

I'm not saying she's gonna toss off albums, just that they will be made for the tour, she writes and produces music made for performance, that was the way for Hard Candy already. The album won't be the drive force behind the era, but the tour will be. Nothing wrong with that and obviously still does not fit the "Madonna does not care about music" assumptions.

Her tours won't be more frequent, but they will most likely do different schedules for each tour and the next one will be focusing on the only big markets she left out with S&ST. But according to some people on this board, Madonna is actually able to sell out any tour by her name so she could just as well record non-commercial music. I am not convinced by that and there will always be at least one easily accessible song before each tour.

U2 might be the #1 seller of 2009 but that has more to do with no huge albums this year. Being their first effort in 5 years was enough to achieve that, and now the tour is keeping it alive.

Well there more than likely won't be any 'huge' albums ever again. I mean look at how long Lady Gaga's album has been hanging around the major markets - 10 years ago that would have sold 10 million copies at least and as it is it's not even done 4 yet.

I do get what you're saying and I agree that the tours will be the big money-spinners, but the tours have always produced far more money than the record sales have. I really don't think she's suddenly going to start making records based on a tour. I mean, songs like 'Beat Goes On' and '4 Minutes' didn't really lend themselves to live performance anyway.

But it's no biggie, let's get back to moaning about 'Celebration' :)

Lady Gaga's album has crept up the charts - it has not had the benefit of those big first week sales or a xmas market. If she was lucky she could have capitalised on last years xmas market and this years. maybe the record company were unsure about promoting her around xmas in case the song got lost and opted for a no1 in january even though traditionally sales are very low then, although just dance sold very well for that month. she will be lucky enough to sell over 5 million but she has the chance.

out of curiosity does anyone know what % the album market has declined by over the last 10 years?

Well there more than likely won't be any 'huge' albums ever again. I mean look at how long Lady Gaga's album has been hanging around the major markets - 10 years ago that would have sold 10 million copies at least and as it is it's not even done 4 yet.

there is a very big danger of even the core audience drifting away. shewill need to rely on new fans otherwise the core fanbase will diminish - people die, people cut down on spending, they might lose interest, newcomers might take some of the attention etc..

madonna still relies on physical cd's for her chart postions. without physical sales miles away may not even have made the top 40. is she one of the few artists who still has decent physical sales? if so why? i prefer cd's over digital music.

LN are going to have to address a number of issues - they dont want to sign an artist on the slippery slope down, which madonna is at the moment.

i doubt radio 1 will upgrade it now that it's released and may not hit the top 5 unless they run some sort of madonna week next week with the release of the GH , and play her classic songs. i cant even see most fans buying the GH as it has nothing new really there and the order is a mess.

Celebration still B listed on Radio 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/playlist/

Everything is possible! If they want to, they will do.

You, of all people, who ragged on the flop of "Miles Away" for ages should know best none of her old singles have a chance to rechart as a re-issue like it was 1991.

The bottom of the Top 200 will be filled with Madonna songs but I can only see HU and 4M entering the top 75, hope I'm proven wrong. But all those singles sales will take MAJOR sales away from the album...

surely if the songs were made for the tour, then 4 mins would not have been a duet and the producer would have been someone who had knowledge of touring and not Timbaland? granted most producers proably have not much knowledge of touring but dont most fans say madonna had less input in this album than others, she let the producers have more control....or something?

I'm not saying she's gonna toss off albums, just that they will be made for the tour, she writes and produces music made for performance, that was the way for Hard Candy already. The album won't be the drive force behind the era, but the tour will be. Nothing wrong with that and obviously still does not fit the "Madonna does not care about music" assumptions.

Her tours won't be more frequent, but they will most likely do different schedules for each tour and the next one will be focusing on the only big markets she left out with S&ST. But according to some people on this board, Madonna is actually able to sell out any tour by her name so she could just as well record non-commercial music. I am not convinced by that and there will always be at least one easily accessible song before each tour.

U2 might be the #1 seller of 2009 but that has more to do with no huge albums this year. Being their first effort in 5 years was enough to achieve that, and now the tour is keeping it alive.

I think a UK Top 5 is perfectly acceptable for this song. If it went to #1 I'd be happy, but I'd also worry Madonna might work with Oakenfold again if it was too successful. I think "Celebration" is decent enough, but let's just say my curiosity of what M + Oakenfold can bring to the table has been completely satisfied.

Celebration is a nice enough song but not ground-breaking or anything exciting like her new single releases in the past. It really doesn't deserve to be No.1 on the charts. It is her lowest charting lead-off single for an album in the US, so that kinda says it all really.

if Radio 1 wont A-list Celebration, what are the chances they will even bother C-listing Revolver? unless she actually promotes R in the UK, there is a chance it may miss the top 10 here if released.

Well it could have been removed from the B list so small mercies and all that.

Plus it continues to be A listed on Radio 2.

surely if the songs were made for the tour, then 4 mins would not have been a duet and the producer would have been someone who had knowledge of touring and not Timbaland? granted most producers proably have not much knowledge of touring but dont most fans say madonna had less input in this album than others, she let the producers have more control....or something?

No, fans just assume that.

4M is the exception, but Madonna herself stated that she wrote GI2M to be performed in a stadium, I was referring to that. She most likely envisions a performance when the song is produced, unlike in the past, when she was possibly thinking of music video concept.

No, fans just assume that.

4M is the exception, but Madonna herself stated that she wrote GI2M to be performed in a stadium, I was referring to that. She most likely envisions a performance when the song is produced, unlike in the past, when she was possibly thinking of music video concept.

I think that’s reading too much into her words (where she also said that it was a ‘party anthem’ and she liked the idea of lots of people dancing to it). I’m sure if she her pre-occupation when recording ‘Hard Candy’ was how the songs would work live, she wouldn’t have Timbaland, Justin, Kanye and Pharrell all over them.