The Official UK Charts Thread

thebigham

Sorry went to No1 on its own accord. Yes she had a very favourable image at the time and the "comeback" was a success but it was a no1 on the airplay for a couple of weeks ad it was released in a week when there was going to be a change in the no1. if I

remember correctly Corine Bailey Ray was in fact ahead of Sorry in the mid-weeks?

There are plenty of examples where some artists have had huge no1's but the follow up disappears. If the song is not liked then it wont get anywhere, especially if its from an album which had already sold a million by then.

and also, Sorry is an incredible song, very catchy, one of her best second singles, it´s shadowed by Hung Up and its success, but it could have been a perfect lead single too

^ Only 57 copies between Shakira and Jay Z, I expect she'll inch up throughout the week. The sales data is interesting, M's sold close to 5k physicals, the only other artist to sell near that is, tellingly, Cliff Richard. For some reason Taio's physical sales are charting separately.

They would have done more on downloads had it been available when the video premiered - there was all the hype with nothing for it to effect.

Yes, this project does seem to have been mismanaged slightly.

Guest patrickovy

It can fall. When it comes to 1st week sales of Madonna singles they always sell better at the beginning of the week. Many of her singles are lower on sunday chart than in midweek predictions. Sad example is American Life, which ended up at #2 after topping the midweeks all over the week.

Edited by patrickovy

It can fall. When it comes to 1st week sales of Madonna singles they always sell better at the beginning of the week. Many of her singles are lower on sunday chart than in midweek predictions. Sad example is American Life, which ended up at #2 after topping the midweeks all over the week.

That's very true, but it's encouraging that this keeps rising on itunes. It's clearly not going to be number one but it's picking up sales as the week progresses, not losing them.

Wednesday Top 40 Only

Singles

1 Taio Cruz 35.7k

2 David Guetta 21.3k

3 Madonna 21k

4 Jay Z/Rihanna/Kanye West 18.2k

5 Shakira 18.2k

Top 15

Paramore

Top 30

Paloma Faith

26 Lady GaGa [Lovegame]

Pitbull (HRS)

Top 40

Cliff Richard & The Shadows

Eva Cassidy

We can't compare this to previous singles. As debord said, digital sales and physical sales evolve differently. If nothing strange happens, I think that the single will keep rising on iTunes as more and more people realise that the single is available.

"If" Celebration was the 1st or the 2nd single off COADF it would be a totally different story. There is no way it would have gone to no1 or spent as many weeks as HU did in the top 10 if released at that point. Its all If's and Buts.

Sorry went to No1 on its own accord. Yes she had a very favourable image at the time and the "comeback" was a success but it was a no1 on the airplay for a couple of weeks ad it was released in a week when there was going to be a change in the no1. if I

remember correctly Corine Bailey Ray was in fact ahead of Sorry in the mid-weeks?

There are plenty of examples where some artists have had huge no1's but the follow up disappears. If the song is not liked then it wont get anywhere, especially if its from an album which had already sold a million by then.

It was a #1 airplay hit, a follow up to a comeback single, during the days of "inbetween" digital and physical sales, one of the least competitive times of the year, Madonna winning a Brit award. But yes, it was #1 because it's an incredible song and the general public and half of the online fans thought so. Surely NO other Madonna song could have gone to #1 with the EXACT SAME CIRCUMSTANCES, just "Sorry", not something just as mainstream and catchy as "Celebration". It is a FACT.

Once again, I find it really weird how people seem to put a = between their own taste and Madonna's chart success. Which looks incredibly stupid when some are wishing for a "non-commercial" Live Nation Madonna. But whatever, keep on believing COADF was groundbreaking and "Sorry" would be #1 now and the general public wants the same as fans do.

National lottery show is not targeted at kids. I dont think ROL was in anyway aimed at the teenybop audience. ROL was projected in a motherely Madonna way. I personally think the album would not had won any teenybop fans.

That explains why many fans in their 20s cite that album as their fav or the period they got into Madonna. :snore: Madonna being a mother has nothing to do with the SOUND of the album, and her looks were still fresher and younger than the 3 year long period before ROL.

Which of Madonna's older songs are likely to re-chart because of the GH? LAV, Holiday, ITG, Vogue, HU? It would be ace if Holiday re-enters the chart - it would be on a 4th run.

Is there any chance that a song off the album will be re-issued as a single just like Holiday and CFY were because of TIC. An updated version of LTT could do well - its one of M's best songs but very under-rated. I think it could have very broad appeal. The dance songs could end up sounding cheesey if remixed.

You, of all people, who ragged on the flop of "Miles Away" for ages should know best none of her old singles have a chance to rechart as a re-issue like it was 1991.

The bottom of the Top 200 will be filled with Madonna songs but I can only see HU and 4M entering the top 75, hope I'm proven wrong. But all those singles sales will take MAJOR sales away from the album...

The curse of AL, Hollywood & MATM is back!!! :nervous:

I’m not really getting what the argument is over ‘Sorry’. Of course it’s not the only Madonna single that could have went to number one after ‘Hung Up’, but to imply that the song ‘Sorry’ had nothing to do with it going to number one is just…wrong.

And re: the curse of ‘AL’, ‘Hollywood’ and ‘MATM’ – as has already been pointed out, those are from a different era and debuted high in the midweeks because of physical sales before dropping. ‘Celebration’ will certainly be front-loaded with the physical sales but they are far less important now and the song has climbed from 11 on Monday to 4 currently, suggesting that it’s becoming more popular with casual listeners (the vast majority of the fans having bought their copies on Sunday/Monday). Personally I would say that the fact a lot of people haven’t even realised the song is out this week is contributing to its climb, as more people become aware of it.

I’m not really getting what the argument is over ‘Sorry’. Of course it’s not the only Madonna single that could have went to number one after ‘Hung Up’, but to imply that the song ‘Sorry’ had nothing to do with it going to number one is just…wrong.

Well of course it also helped that it was the closest thing to HU on the album in terms of songwriting/theme and the video was a direct follow up. I'm just saying using the argument that it was #1 because it was "good" is delusional. Same thing when GI2M and now "Celebration" is called "not good enough" because they fail to reach expectations on charts, ignoring the factors and circumstances.

About the curse thing, I'm not sure how Midweeks worked in 1998-99 but wasn't it the same case with "Ray Of Light" & "Beautiful Stranger"?

Well of course it also helped that it was the closest thing to HU on the album in terms of songwriting/theme and the video was a direct follow up. I'm just saying using the argument that it was #1 because it was "good" is delusional. Same thing when GI2M and now "Celebration" is called "not good enough" because they fail to reach expectations on charts, ignoring the factors and circumstances.

About the curse thing, I'm not sure how Midweeks worked in 1998-99 but wasn't it the same case with "Ray Of Light" & "Beautiful Stranger"?

Downloads were only included in the charts in 2005. 2006 was the first downloads number one and it's only in the past 2 years that downloads have completely dwarved physical sales.

Downloads were only included in the charts in 2005. 2006 was the first downloads number one and it's only in the past 2 years that downloads have completely dwarved physical sales.

I know, but wasn't that curse about having front loaded sales and falling by the end of the week? I though same thing happened with S Club 7 blocking Madonna from #2 in 1999, I was referring to that. :)

It's also desilusional to think that Sorry went to #1 just because promotion and timing were good. People liked the song! On the other hand, Give it 2 me and Celebration have generated more mixed opinions.

Edited by MForever

It's also desilusional to think that Sorry went to #1 just because promotion and timing were good. People liked the song!

Of course they liked it, anything that hits the charts is liked, it's ranked by the amount of people who like them enough to buy them after all. But the #1 song is the most liked song of the week and that always has some additional thing going on, "high airplay" is the very least. It has nothing to do with "best song out there now". The whole discussion started when people said "Celebration" not hitting #1 is a testament to its quality, which remains just as stupid as to say "Madonna cannot hit #1 now because many UKers hate her for divorcing Guy and abandoning the country".

Madonna did not hit the top of the UK charts for 8 years in the 90s yet is it now when they think the crown is slipping, because now every lead off single should hit #1 that did not have its video pulled? Doesn't work like that and I'm afraid we're gonna go through the same thing next September. If Madonna is indeed doing X-Factor this year, I can't see massive UK promo for the next album.