The Official UK Charts Thread

thebigham

The quality of her songs has nothing to do with topping the UK chart. If "Celebration" was the 1st or 2nd single of COADF, it would be going to #1. If it was going to #1 now, people would be popping bottles saying it's her best song since HU. Oh wait, some DID say that a month ago!

I don't see why this single "only" going to the top 5 is a sign of her not being Queen of Pop anymore. Just like people need to get used to Madonna not entering the top 20 with anything she releases, it's time to accept a Madonna lead off single won't be going to #1-#2 based on her name alone either.

I wonder about the album though, unfortunately the likes of Dizzie Rascal and Mika are released on the same week, but the UK is famous for loving these GH's, like MJ's, Whitney's, George Michael's...

Well at long bloody last us British fans get our hands on the single. I bought the 2 CD's and 12" picture disc. Alot of the stores had sold out of the picture disc by 4pm today. I've also downloaded all the tracks seperately and the video too. So a #1 is unlikely now, a shame that but hope it goes top 3 or something. Shame about there being no decent promo either but then again, no surpise there with Madonna singles!

An ad for the single is airing during EVERY COMMERCIAL BREAK on TMF (every 15-20 minutes). Ten seconds of the video are shown, followed by a couple of graphics from the longer album advert, and then a still of the single cover image and a "available on iTunes now" header.

Madonna could have her next 50 singles miss the top 40 but most likely she will still be Queen of Pop in the UK unless by some miracle Kylie, Janet, Mariah, Whitney, Cher, Brtney have some major successes on the chart - which is highly unlikely. She is way a head of all the competition in the UK.

I agree that the single has been badly handled but maybe this song would never have gone to no1 no matter when it was released. I did think the GH could do better but its not even out yet. To be honest I dont see myself buying it - I have all the songs barring Celebration which i will have buy the end of this week and I dont expect a miracle from Revolver.

Maybe the public are not interested in Madonna trying to be a club diva and possibly find it offputting? With Rihanna, Britney and Lady Gaga on the scene do you think young people are going to want to listen to a 51 year old trying to inspire them? Are young people really going to be inspired by a 51 year old with the latest underground sound?

The world we live in is ageist but how many 51 year olds do you see in clubs? Not many. If the GH does not sell a million in the UK then I would lable it as a flop. The press have not showed her in a positive light at all since the David Bandana adoption - then you had the HC and S & Tour photo's, the divorce, A-Rod, Jesus, Mercy.

Over the last few months I see more and more negative comments about "granny". I think she has to re-think her musical direction and start producing ROL type albums which are aimed more at the adult market otherwise she could end up just looking a bit cheesey.

Today's midweeks should be interesting. I honestly can't see Celebration being higher than top 5. Anything less and the press will call it a flop. As I said before she really needs to take break and think about her next album. She needs to come with a well crafted album with a good promtional statergy and not some shock tactic album cover. Trying to act cool and down with the kids makes her look desperate.Frankly its embarrassing and unnecessary. She is better than that. She is naturally beautiful and so she should use it to her advatange.

I think she will be top 3 in the midweeks due to decent initial physical sales, whether she will hold the position until Sunday is questionable. The various Celebration versions have all stalled or started to slightly fall already which is a bad sign. But, there are many of them and as the new version of itunes doesn't show popularity bars anymore, it is hard to gauge where she is in relation to the other big sellers.

So the midweeks will make very interesting reading, esp if sales are included.

Otherwise, despite not being her best single, Celebration is doing well on airplay and if it helps to bring the GH album to public awareness then it has done its job.

I think Madonna has been in automatic mode during 2008-2009. Most of you talk as if she had lost the inspiration, but it seems like she simply has reduced the complexity of her music on purpose because that was the spirit she wanted for this Hard Candy/Sticky & Sweet/Celebration era. She doesn't need to take a break, she simply has to take a new direction. And that is what she always does!

Celebration is a decent single, but it's nowhere near her biggest hits. It's promoting the album, and that's more than what we had for GHV2. Let's hope she gets top 5 or even top 3 easily!

I think Madonna has been in automatic mode during 2008-2009. Most of you talk as if she had lost the inspiration, but it seems like she simply has reduced the complexity of her music on purpose because that was the spirit she wanted for this Hard Candy/Sticky & Sweet/Celebration era. She doesn't need to take a break, she simply has to take a new direction. And that is what she always does!

Celebration is a decent single, but it's nowhere near her biggest hits. It's promoting the album, and that's more than what we had for GHV2. Let's hope she gets top 5 or even top 3 easily!

All her UK #1s in the 2000s were simple and safe. I don't see how a song like "Hung Up" or "Sorry" was any different from "Celebration" (not counting hype/anticipation/promo/radio support because that never has anything to do with the song's merits).

"Celebration" is nowhere out of the line from what has been topping the UK charts in this decade, hundreds of dumbed down dance songs, even this year with David Guetta etc. If this wasn't a catchy dance track but something similar to AL, it would be struggling to reach the top 10 even for a week.

By this time next year, we'll be having another new Madonna lead off single, but Madonna won't be promoting it to death in the UK because she will be gearing up to her next tour. That's where her crown is and it won't make her a less successful artist just because she's not obsessed to surpass Westlife's UK #1s. There won't be any breaks taken either and even if fans will love the album to death, it will have nothing to do with getting a UK #1.

Oh and fak, ROL was never aimed at the adult crowd, in fact it was the antithesis to the STR/Evita era where the kids stopped caring and ROL was considered as fresh and young. Techno/electronica was the current UK trend. Madonna got a lot of young fans (many of the online fans who were very young back then) with that album because of that and the massive amount of promo. She went to the National Lottery in the UK of all places to get a UK #1 single. I wish fans would realize their taste and perception on Madonna has the LEAST to do with her mainstream success.

Hung Up and Sorry are way better than Celebration. Equalling all these three tracks is extremely simplistic. The songs of COADF are way more sophisticated than Celebration, and they sounded fresh. Celebration is too generic. Good, but generic.

And I agree with you that chart positions also has to do with promo. The video for Hung Up was iconic, the photoshoot too. And she supported the single by performing it in several programs.

I also think that Celebration could also give us some surprises. In the digital era, the singles can last longer and have different peaks. Only fans know that the single was out this week. If the airplay increases and Warners do some promo next week, many casual buyers might discover the song in the following days and weeks. Maybe a #1 single is something dificcult to get, but it could have a nice chart run with several weeks in the top 10.

^That's just your taste, both HU and S can be considered just as generic as "Celebration". Not to mention that "Sorry" went to #1 only because it came after a massive #1 and basically anything from COADF could have went to the top on that February week.

And like I said, "generic" is not even an argument when the UK has the likes of Basshunter, Scooter and Freemasons topping the charts. I understand for YOU "Celebration" is way below anything on COADF but that has little to do with mainstream appeal.

You're right that singles can last longer, but actually because of that peaks are lower. GI2M is the perfect example, it was in the top 20 for several weeks and between HC and its own release, it never left the top 100. I think the chart run of "Celebration" and "Revolver" will put the supposed "disappointment" of GI2M in perspective.

FIRST SET OF MIDS, HOPEFULLY MORE DETAIL TO FOLLOW:

Singles

1 Taio Cruz

2 Madonna

3 David Guetta

4 Shakira

5 Jay Z/Rihanna/Kanye West

Not a bad start for Madonna given the itunes positions of her rivals.

^That's just your taste, both HU and S can be considered just as generic as "Celebration". Not to mention that "Sorry" went to #1 only because it came after a massive #1 and basically anything from COADF could have went to the top on that February week.

And like I said, "generic" is not even an argument when the UK has the likes of Basshunter, Scooter and Freemasons topping the charts. I understand for YOU "Celebration" is way below anything on COADF but that has little to do with mainstream appeal.

You're right that singles can last longer, but actually because of that peaks are lower. GI2M is the perfect example, it was in the top 20 for several weeks and between HC and its own release, it never left the top 100. I think the chart run of "Celebration" and "Revolver" will put the supposed "disappointment" of GI2M in perspective.

Well, this same argument can be used against you, because it's your taste and your perception of things what leads you to think that Celebration is equal to Hung Up and Sorry.

All I can say is that here in Spain, Hung Up and Sorry were everywhere and everyone went mad in the discos. This doesn't happen with Celebration.

Flattery will get you everywhere...Taio is just over 10,500 ahead of Vadge and she's just shy of 500 ahead of David Guetta Ft. Akon.

:shock:

Thanks!

Taio seems to be going for a multi-week #1 if his numbers are that high already.

Well, this same argument can be used against you, because it's your taste and your perception of things what leads you to think that Celebration is equal to Hung Up and Sorry.

All I can say is that here in Spain, Hung Up and Sorry were everywhere and everyone went mad in the discos. This doesn't happen with Celebration.

Erm no, it's not "taste" that makes me say the quality of the songs has nothing to do with the charts and HU had dozens of other factors that worked for its favour and neither of them is there for the current single.

I heard in Spain Madonna has not exactly been played a lot on radio in the last 2 years, once again, that hardly has anything to do with the quality of the songs.

Flattery will get you everywhere...Taio is just over 10,500 ahead of Vadge and she's just shy of 500 ahead of David Guetta Ft. Akon.

Thank you :inlove:

No Chance of a number 1 then, strong chance of falling through the week :gross:

from ukmix

Uk Midweeks Top 40

2 (NEW) Celebration

(> 10k behind Taio Cruz)

The singles sector cannot quite match the album’s market hive of new release activity but there could well be two new entries in the top two led by Island’s Taio Cruz with Break Your Heart. It is presently more than 10,000 sales ahead of Celebration, the lead-off single from Madonna’s new Warner Bros best of.

The other big singles story is an expected double-digit climb into the top five by the Columbia-handled Shakira. Her single She Wolf on last Sunday’s chart was a new entry at 25.

Meanwhile, Mercury’s Pixie Lott, whose single Boys & Girls rose 73-1 on last Sunday’s chart, has a battle on to retain her top-five status.