Listening to HARD CANDY tonight. It's SOOOOO Good

boy skeffington

I know what you mean. I also lost my best girlfriend's mother in november 1996 and when I hear You Must Love Me there's no exception to not think about this.And this year it will happen live also with the S&S Tour and I am sure I will cry a little.

Yeah.. Madonna music is the soundtrack to our lives.. and what a good soundtrack it is.

The whole time that Hard Candy has been released seems like a dream to me, it's like yesterday that 4 Minutes dropped.

I love Candy Shop soo much, the sound is so rich and sophisticated, yet it's such a playful song.

And the melody in Miles Away is so pretty.. can u imagine what it was like to hear that song after just losing your best friend.. heartbreaking to say the least.

Guest nothingfails0603
Her worst album.

Still has it's moments. But it just didn't feel like it was her in control of this album. Obv she was, but it came across as a generic hip-hop bitch + all the standard "featuring" s etc.

you took the words out of my mouth. I don't hate the album but it's not the "go to" Madonna album of choice, I know the next one will be better

I still listen to it in the car a lot.. I'm all about Candy Shop and Miles Away...

I lost my best friend of 25yrs when 4 Minutes first came out so it really haunts me to listen to Hard Candy.. I feel like she's on the other side listening to it.. She loved Madonna

Check her out Jabe Babe

:thumbsup: that's a cool video

there's a documentry that was on tv a while ago called "man crushers" and there's a fetish where men spend months building these amazing minature cities (like the one in her video) only for a giantess to come and crush and destroy the city in moments (while the guy gets off) Interesting.

I'm sorry your friend passed away

Love Hard Candy.

It's the first Madonna album in a long time where I've REALLY liked more than a few songs.

Give It 2 Me, Miles Away, Heartbeat, Devil Wouldn't Recognise You :thumbsup:

Edited by Enigma

I agree with everything you said except the part about her "pretentious and weird" music. Some of that music is my favorite of her career...lol But I understand what you are trying to say and I know many who share your same opinion. My best friend for example is primarily a fan of Madonna's music all the way up to 1990 or so really (although she likes some BS tracks) but when Madonna released ROL she completely lost her and with HC it's the first time she has come around to Madonna's new music in a long time. I know a few people like that, who haven't enjoyed anything the past 10 years or so but warmed up nicely to HC.

Sorry boys......not EVERYBODY likes techno/electro/folktronica and "weird" experimental music EVERY TIME SHE RELEASES SOMETHING. Some just want some straight up pop sometimes and that's what HC is. Moreso than any of her albums since TB IMO. And after 15+ years of being "to the left" in her musical tastes, she more than earned the right to make a straight up, unapologetic pop album. Some of her newer, younger fans that have hopped on board within the last 10 years or so seem to have this thing that Madonna MUST make something that sounds completely different than everybody else every time. I can't help but giggle a bit when I read fans who hope Madonna releases some folk/gypsy album next time around....as I have read before on here...lol. Understandable, that's the Madonna they fell in love with. But for fans like us that have been around a while, HC is more of a "back to the roots" kind of album. The fact is, before Erotica she typically made some of the best quality pop music out there, but none of it was particularly groundbreaking or different. It was the whole "Madonna package" that was different than the others. And let's be real.....even on HC there are still songs that have that latter day Madonna "weird" feel to them. How many pop tarts would pull off a SNM or Voices?

Kurt, I think COADF is more straight up pop than HC. HU is a HUGE pop song probably the one of the biggest she has ever done. I mean the the lyrics, the chorus, the melody, the baseline,

the ABBA sample its just pure pop. Sorry, Get Together, Jump those songs are some of the best she has done in ages. I find HC a mixed bag. Incredible, Spanish Lesson and 4 Minutes just seem lazy and lack melody.

I kind of go back and forth on Hard Candy. When I first got it, I really liked it but then after awhile I disliked it. But I listened to it recently and I really liked it again.

It's the type of album that you can listen to every now and then and enjoy it. But it's not something that you can enjoy listening to a lot because it's all surface, and doesn't have that many levels to it.

Also on some of the songs, for me her voice is not as good as her past albums. It seemed like they didn't take enough time with the vocals, particularly on a song like Incredible.

A lot of it is probably my personal taste since I really don't like R&B or hip hop. I'm into electronica and rock.

My favorite songs are 4 minutes, Candy Shop, Give it to Me, Miles Away, Devil and Voices. The rest of the songs I skip over most of the time.

There really is nothing 'wierd and experimental' about much of Madonna's work. Ray of Light for instance is a very solid mainstream pop album, with simple melodies and lyrics and great pop hooks. Madonna happened to clothe that in swirling synths and eastern influences, which itself was not an unheard of idea at the time. The difference is, the the production of Ray of Light was original enough to have fresh apeal to the mainstream, and the videos and images that accompanied the videos were arresting and imaginative. In other words, Ray of Light wasn't a wierd experiment, it was simply a Madonna record. And I expect the same from any Madonna record, because that's what she does -she innovates; she grows; it's fun. That's what she stopped doing with this record. Since it's all in the past, apart from the fag-end of this tour, let's all look forward to what she does next.

She needs to work with Pharrell on the next album!

No!!!!! I don't want her to work with anyone associated with R&B and hip hop. Move on to a different sound.

No!!!!! I don't want her to work with anyone associated with R&B and hip hop. Move on to a different sound.

:thumbsdown:

no.

she has to work with pharrell, whether you like it or not

Overall the album is decent. There are a few great songs, a few not-so-great ones.

My biggest issue is the overall mastering, namely the Timbaland/Timberlake tracks. Voices sounds absolutely terrible, especially when comparing it to the Orchestral version.

Kurt, I think COADF is more straight up pop than HC. HU is a HUGE pop song probably the one of the biggest she has ever done. I mean the the lyrics, the chorus, the melody, the baseline,

the ABBA sample its just pure pop. Sorry, Get Together, Jump those songs are some of the best she has done in ages. I find HC a mixed bag. Incredible, Spanish Lesson and 4 Minutes just seem lazy and lack melody.

But COADF still had a very heavy electronic sound and that's what I meant was that sound is not that big here in the US. Look at it's US sales vs. the rest of the world. Most in the US wouldn't call HU a "classic" Madonna song....I know it's hard for some to fathom since the song was absolutely massive everywhere else in the world, but seriously here, it was just a minor hit that came and went pretty quickly, in fact I never even heard it on the radio at all. Sure the gays always love her, but I'm talking a casual listen to the radio while at work kind of listener. So.... when she was more "euro-centric" with her music for the past decade, I personally know people who were completely turned off......or enjoyed very little until HC came out. I agree with you, COADF is an awesome pop album but it was just good to hear her step away from the euro based stuff for a little while.

There really is nothing 'wierd and experimental' about much of Madonna's work. Ray of Light for instance is a very solid mainstream pop album, with simple melodies and lyrics and great pop hooks. Madonna happened to clothe that in swirling synths and eastern influences, which itself was not an unheard of idea at the time. The difference is, the the production of Ray of Light was original enough to have fresh apeal to the mainstream, and the videos and images that accompanied the videos were arresting and imaginative. In other words, Ray of Light wasn't a wierd experiment, it was simply a Madonna record. And I expect the same from any Madonna record, because that's what she does -she innovates; she grows; it's fun. That's what she stopped doing with this record. Since it's all in the past, apart from the fag-end of this tour, let's all look forward to what she does next.

I can assure you to an average Top 40 radio listener or a Madonna fan who doesn't like much after Vogue, most of ROL-COADF is weird to them. She didn't stop growing and innovating with HC, up until this album she hadn't done a current US-centric sounding album in ages......not in this decade at all. So the urban/pop sound of '08 had not been covered by her at all before. I challenge you to pick out any Madonna album where the sound was completely new, she's never done that. She does sounds SHE has never done before, a lot of times she happens to do them before others in the mainstream have (ROL), sometimes she does it after (Erotica,LAV, BS). Nothing new there. Like you said about ROL, HC was just a Madonna record like all the others.

Guest Danny86

It's obvious that British and Americans have different definitions for "pop". The UK charts are regularly filled with songs like "Cry For You" by September", "Infinity" by Guru Josh or "Something Good" by Utah Saints, while they are lucky to reach Bubbling Under in the US and they can only be found on the dance charts. COADF was definitely having influences of this kinda music, being produced by a British dance DJ, choruses repeated till no end etc.

Hard Candy is "pop" in the American sense of the word, since 2001 The Neptunes have been taking a big slice of pop music and Timbaland was dominating the charts in 2006-2007.

The big difference is that while the US does not allow dance music to be mainstream, "US pop" is also very successful in other parts of the world.

That said, I think if we take Madonna's whole career into account, then it's easier to say that HC is more pop because it has the feel of her early 80s stuff, while most of COADF has the Euro-retro-club feel, which was definitely not part of her roots. "Jump" & "Like It Or Not" being the exceptions. I think "Give It 2 Me", "Heartbeat" & "Beat Goes On" are as pure pop as it can get.

I can see Madonna working with Pharrell again. Rumors are that they clashed in the studio, but there still seemed to be this push/pull chemistry between them. You can hear it in the music. And both seemed to come away proud of what they achieved together, even if production was tense at times. Timbaland, I don't imagine her working with again. A shame for me, since overall I liked his contributions to Hard Candy more than Pharrell's, but I get more of a cordial "client" vibe from them. It's like Madonna hired him, he came in and did what he was paid to do, said "there you go," and then left. I'll be honest, and I know that this will clash with some here, but I'm just not at all interested in Madonna going back to electronica, techno-lite, abstract pop, or British/Euro-inspired dance/club music again after this. She played in different corners of that sandbox for a decade. Enough. Unfortunately, I get a bad feeling that she may revert right back to it with the next album.

Guest superman
Wow. I'm listening to this tonight in full on my Itouch and it is so good. Doesn't feel almost a year old. I really only think DEVIL will be dated in a few years, the rest is pretty timeless.

GIVE IT 2 ME, HEARTBEAT and MILES AWAY

as well as

SHE'S NOT ME, INCREDIBLE and BEAT GOES ON -

These are both 3 of the strongest triples song stretches in her entire career.

If you haven't listened to it in awhile, give it a spin and rediscover it. I'm loving 4 MINUTES again.

I ALWAYS LOVED THE ALBUM!! all has killer tracks!! After all this album rated 5 stars - Rolling Stones as well other music critics

as for the single - BEAT GOES ON was named as the 2nd best single in 2008. imagine all singles/songs released from diff artists - BGO was picked/chosen. bravo!!!!!

It's obvious that British and Americans have different definitions for "pop". The UK charts are regularly filled with songs like "Cry For You" by September", "Infinity" by Guru Josh or "Something Good" by Utah Saints, while they are lucky to reach Bubbling Under in the US and they can only be found on the dance charts. COADF was definitely having influences of this kinda music, being produced by a British dance DJ, choruses repeated till no end etc.

Hard Candy is "pop" in the American sense of the word, since 2001 The Neptunes have been taking a big slice of pop music and Timbaland was dominating the charts in 2006-2007.

The big difference is that while the US does not allow dance music to be mainstream, "US pop" is also very successful in other parts of the world.

That said, I think if we take Madonna's whole career into account, then it's easier to say that HC is more pop because it has the feel of her early 80s stuff, while most of COADF has the Euro-retro-club feel, which was definitely not part of her roots. "Jump" & "Like It Or Not" being the exceptions. I think "Give It 2 Me", "Heartbeat" & "Beat Goes On" are as pure pop as it can get.

Well put Danny!

That's why I tend to categorize it with Madonna, LAV and TB. To me HC is like a version of those albums for the 00's. Not as thematic or cohesive as COADF, AL or ROL musically. Like the first 3 albums it's just a collection of current "American pop" songs.

And I wouldn't mind at all if only she and Pharrell did an entire album together. To me his is the best stuff on HC and he's so versatile.

Guest Pud Whacker
I ALWAYS LOVED THE ALBUM!! all has killer tracks!! After all this album rated 5 stars - Rolling Stones as well other music critics

as for the single - BEAT GOES ON was named as the 2nd best single in 2008. imagine all singles/songs released from diff artists - BGO was picked/chosen. bravo!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Guest Danny86

I don't think there's much chance for Madonna & Pharrell to work together again. After COADF, Stuart was gone even though she was (supposedly) very close to him and he was also her musical director. On the other hand, we all know she loves "Candy Shop" more than anything she recorded in this decade, so who knows, maybe Pharrell will come back for 2-3 tracks like Orbit on Music?