The most iconic photograph of Madonna ever taken

Guest seancannon

I agree with both of these first two suggestions. The Herb Ritts True Blue cover is very iconic, but so also is that still from the set of "Vogue." (In my mind, she was more popular in 1990 around the time of Vogue than at any other time -- but I could be wrong. The Like a Virgin days -- and even much of the True Blue phase -- was just from a time when I was too young to remember much. So, it could just be that I recall 1990 personally, whereas the mid-80s I do not remember much about music and the entertainment world.)

Does anyone know who took that photo from the "Vogue" video, by the way? I know David Fincher directed, but surely someone else was responsible for the stills from the set.

the True Blue cover is definitely her most iconic photograph, but people can look at it and doesnt recognize Madonna (its hard to imagine but it can happen)

of course most people instantely recognize Madonna in the (obvious) Like a Virgin cover

Guest Pud Whacker
I agree with both of these first two suggestions. The Herb Ritts True Blue cover is very iconic, but so also is that still from the set of "Vogue." (In my mind, she was more popular in 1990 around the time of Vogue than at any other time -- but I could be wrong. The Like a Virgin days -- and even much of the True Blue phase -- was just from a time when I was too young to remember much. So, it could just be that I recall 1990 personally, whereas the mid-80s I do not remember much about music and the entertainment world.)

Does anyone know who took that photo from the "Vogue" video, by the way? I know David Fincher directed, but surely someone else was responsible for the stills from the set.

a woman, her name escapes me at the moment.

I think a lot of it has to do with how old you are and when you became a fan. Someone born in 1988 may really think the MUSIC images are her most iconic. For me, I think it would have to be the video still from the EXPRESS YOURSELF video where she has the man suit on and is opening the jacket with both hands to reveal her black bra. If not that one, then the one where she's sitting on the bed looking over her shoulder and some of her breast is exposed through her arm.

Both of these shots were used to promote the BAT...which was when, at 13, I really began to take notice of her.

The True Blue cover indeed and this one. I remember it was in all magazines, newspapers, unofficial compilations (cd's and cassettes) and everywhere and of course for me it's the most iconic one because I begun to grew with that era.

sm2.jpg