My Tracklisting For a Double-Disc Madge Compilation

mtzlplk

why are you all wasting your time with all those playlists? to feel sorry when the real compilation will be released?

Why are you wasting your time posting the same thing in every thread?

Fans are discussing and speculating about a forthcoming release, just as they would for any other Madonna album.

I dont see a point to WB releasing a complete retrospective. GHV3 (or whatever it's called) would be reasonable if it went something like this;

1. Hung Up

2. Miles Away

3. Nothing Fails

4. Get Together

5. Love Profusion

6. Sorry

7. American Life

8. Beat Goes On (Featuring Kanye West)

9. Hollywood

10. Give It 2 Me

11. Jump

12. Die Another Day

13. 4 Minutes (Featuring Justin Timberlake & Timbaland)

14. Across The Sky

15. Triggering (Your Senses)

It would be rather hollow if a retrospective did come out this year as Madonna will make new songs with Live Nation which (hopefully) will be hits and therefore the retrospective will become inadequate. :)

Why are you wasting your time posting the same thing in every thread?

Fans are discussing and speculating about a forthcoming release, just as they would for any other Madonna album.

i wrote the same thing in like 3 threads because they are all the same...almost...you know Paganini - Variations on a same theme :lol:

Guest Danny86
I dont see a point to WB releasing a complete retrospective. GHV3 (or whatever it's called) would be reasonable if it went something like this;

1. Hung Up

2. Miles Away

3. Nothing Fails

4. Get Together

5. Love Profusion

6. Sorry

7. American Life

9. Hollywood

10. Give It 2 Me

11. Jump

12. Die Another Day

14. Across The Sky

It would be rather hollow if a retrospective did come out this year as Madonna will make new songs with Live Nation which (hopefully) will be hits and therefore the retrospective will become inadequate. :)

Sorry, but who would buy such a compilation? Even GHV2 underperformed yet that had like 10 big hits. Madonna's singles after GHV2 had limited success (but 2 megahits still) so casual fans won't be looking to pick them up, they'd much prefer Madonna's 25 years of hits. Especially during the days of digital singles, it's easier to pay less than 2 dollars for "Hung Up" & "4 Minutes" instead of buying them among a sea of lesser known singles. I do like the idea of putting "Triggering" on the CD, one of her best outtakes.

I know Madonna fans were spoiled that she could fill a second greatest hits album without any repetition (something her 80s contemporaries never achieved), but it's time to accept that she's gonna release something that overlaps with most of The Immaculate Collectin.

Zephyr Alexxx, you do have a point and I'm sure most fans will be disappointed with the release just like with GHV2, but it's for fun and remember, at least it's still about her music instead of some nonsense debate on her private affairs or her cheeks. ;)

compilations tend to target the casual fans, i am sure SORRY was ignored, same with GI2M...

Sorry was HIT ! the US is ONE market .. everywhere else it was a big hit .. ALSO ... stop equatting chart position with HIT.. ANYONE considering buying a Madonna compiliation in 2009 knows the song SORRY !

Sorry was HIT ! the US is ONE market .. everywhere else it was a big hit .. ALSO ... stop equatting chart position with HIT.. ANYONE considering buying a Madonna compiliation in 2009 knows the song SORRY !

Exactly! lol American Life,Hollywood,Sorry,Give It 2 Me & Love Profusion might have not performed well in the US but they did well in other markets and should be included on a compilation , just because they didnt chart high on Hot 100 doesnt mean much now that the hot 100 relies more on radio play :lmao::rant:

:rant: beside too much push is on the US market its only one country among loads (despite what they may think :lmao: )

Exactly! lol American Life,Hollywood,Sorry,Give It 2 Me & Love Profusion might have not performed well in the US but they did well in other markets and should be included on a compilation , just because they didnt chart high on Hot 100 doesnt mean much now that the hot 100 relies more on radio play :lmao::rant:

:rant: beside too much push is on the US market its only one country among loads (despite what they may think :lmao: )

Here is what I would like 2 see as a Double Disc compilation:

DISC ONE

1. Everybody

2. Holiday

3. Borderline

4. Lucky Star

5. Like A Virgin

6. Material Girl

7. Dress You Up

8. Into The Groove

9. Crazy For You

10.. Live To Tell

11. Papa Don't Preach

12. Open Your Heart

13. Who's That Girl

14. La Isla Bonita

15. Like A Prayer

16. Express Yourself

17. Vogue

18. Justify My Love

DISC TWO

19. Erotica

20. Rain

21. Secret

22. Take A Bow

23. You'll See

24. You Must Love Me

25. Frozen

26. Ray Of Light

27. Music

28. Don't Tell Me

29. What It Feels Like For A Girl (Remix)

30. Hollywood

31. American Life

32. Die Another Day

33. Hung Up

34. Sorry

35. 4 Minutes (featuring Justin Timberlake)

36. Give It 2 Me

Guest dicktracy

1. Hung Up

2. Miles Away

3. Nothing Fails

4. Get Together

5. Love Profusion

6. Sorry

7. American Life

9. Hollywood

10. Give It 2 Me

11. Jump

12. Die Another Day

14. Across The Sky

Don't forget the bonus track: Hey You

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Spotlight

The Best of Madonna: The Video Album

Disc 1

1. Like A Virgin

2. Papa Don't Preach

3. Open Your Heart

4. Like A Prayer

5. Express Yourself

6. Vogue

7. Justify My Love

8. Erotica

9. Bad Girl

10. Rain

11. Take A Bow

12. Human Nature

13. Frozen

14. Ray Of Light

Disc 2

1. The Power of Good-Bye

2. Don't Tell Me

3. What It Feels Like For A Girl

4. Mer Girl/Sky Fits Heaven - Drowned World Tour Live

5. Die Another Day

6. American Life - Original Director's Cut

7. Nobody Knows Me - Re-Invention Tour Live

8. Hung Up

9. Sorry

10. Let It Will Be - Confessions Tour Live

11. Jump

12. 4 Minutes

• 5 months later...

i really don't want to open another one..

Disc One:

1. Holiday

2. Borderline

3. Lucky Star

4. Like A Virgin

5. Material Girl

6. Crazy For You

7. Into The Groove

8. Live To Tell

9. Papa Don't Preach

10. True Blue

11. Open Your Heart

12. La Isla Bonita

13. Who's That Girl

14. Causing A Commotion

15. Like A Prayer

16. Express Yourself

17. Cherish

18. Vogue

19. Justify My Love

20. This Used To Be My Playground

Disc Two:

1. Erotica

2. Deeper and Deeper

3. Rain

4. I'll Remember

5. Secret

6. Take A Bow

7. You'll See

8. You Must Love Me or Don't Cry For Me Argentina

9. Frozen

10. Ray Of Light

11. Beautiful Stranger

12. American Pie

13. Music

14. Don't Tell Me

15. Die Another Day

16. Hollywood

17. Hung Up

18. 4 Minutes

19. Celebrate

20. Revolver

20 songs, 4-minute average...

17 songs from the 80s

14 songs from the 90s

09 songs from the 00s

bold songs must never be left off... never again... no need to protect TB album, no need to protect STR...

i really don't want to open another one..

Disc One:

1. Holiday

2. Borderline

3. Lucky Star

4. Like A Virgin

5. Material Girl

6. Crazy For You

7. Into The Groove

8. Live To Tell

9. Papa Don't Preach

10. True Blue

11. Open Your Heart

12. La Isla Bonita

13. Who's That Girl

14. Causing A Commotion

15. Like A Prayer

16. Express Yourself

17. Cherish

18. Vogue

19. Justify My Love

20. This Used To Be My Playground

Disc Two:

1. Erotica

2. Deeper and Deeper

3. Rain

4. I'll Remember

5. Secret

6. Take A Bow

7. You'll See

8. You Must Love Me or Don't Cry For Me Argentina

9. Frozen

10. Ray Of Light

11. Beautiful Stranger

12. American Pie

13. Music

14. Don't Tell Me

15. Die Another Day

16. Hollywood

17. Hung Up

18. 4 Minutes

19. Celebrate

20. Revolver

20 songs, 4-minute average...

17 songs from the 80s

14 songs from the 90s

09 songs from the 00s

bold songs must never be left off... never again... no need to protect TB album, no need to protect STR...

This is pretty much what I envision the two disc set being like. Though, I am not sure 20 tracks will fit, because many of her songs go over the 4 min mark. I guess they can edit them down, but some of them cannot be edited down such as "THIS USED TO BE MY PLAYGROUND".

I also think she will leave off "American Pie". She never was into that song until Rupert begged her to do it. It seems she now wishes she didn't cover it. I could be wrong. It was a hit for her in Europe, so I can see why it would be included.

I always question "Hollywood" too. While it did well in some countries, but looking at chart positions, "American Life" the song did significantly better across the globe than "Hollywood", so I would think she would want to include that one instead. But I prefer "Hollywood"... especially Stuart Price mixes.

I think many of us have to remember that the GH's collection represents her hits across the globe, not just one particular country. But in the end, I think the songs that should be included first whether they charted #1 or #10 or #20 are the ones that have made a huge impact on her career since releasing them. For instance, some can argue chartwise "Beautiful Stranger" wasn't a big hit, but I think it was. It was only just in the U.S. it didn't chart well and that was due because it wasn't released as a single. No doubt, if a single was released for that song in the U.S., it would have hit at least the top 5... if not #1. It was a big song for Madonna back in 1999, thanks to the soundtrack it was tied too.

face it, you wont get a good, "satisfied" tracklist by basing it on chart success.

your better off on putting on songs that have importance to M's catalog/history. Just because a song didnt go to number one, doesnt mean that it shouldnt be on the tracklist.

Guest ursaminorjim

Just get Jive Bunny or Stars on 45 to do a medley, use some outtakes from the H&M ads as artwork and you're done.

face it, you wont get a good, "satisfied" tracklist by basing it on chart success.

your better off on putting on songs that have importance to M's catalog/history. Just because a song didnt go to number one, doesnt mean that it shouldnt be on the tracklist.

Actually, I agree. I guess that is what I was getting at first. The tracklist should be about songs that have had an important impact on her career as a musician. But it should represent what was most popular with fans and radio airplay. For instance, "Rain" didn't chart as high as some of the other bigger hits, but it got a lot of radio airplay and it had longevity. I remember they played the hell out of that song until "I'll Remember" came a long. "I'll Remember" got a lot of radio airplay as well. But of course, it charted better as well.

In any event, I don't think there will be a set list that will satisfy everyone, but I think the above would come close to representing Madonna's career.

But with a title like 'Celebration' for the album, it's possible she could include non-hits like "EveryBody", "Where's The Party" and other songs that fit the theme.

Actually, I agree. I guess that is what I was getting at first. The tracklist should be about songs that have had an important impact on her career as a musician. But it should represent what was most popular with fans and radio airplay. For instance, "Rain" didn't chart as high as some of the other bigger hits, but it got a lot of radio airplay and it had longevity. I remember they played the hell out of that song until "I'll Remember" came a long. "I'll Remember" got a lot of radio airplay as well. But of course, it charted better as well.

In any event, I don't think there will be a set list that will satisfy everyone, but I think the above would come close to representing Madonna's career.

But with a title like 'Celebration' for the album, it's possible she could include non-hits like "EveryBody", "Where's The Party" and other songs that fit the theme.

Nice to see that someone else agrees. Everybody is a must, it's her first single, and her first to chart on the Hot Dance/Club chart, which she is well known for dominating, since she is the dancing queen.

frozen was destroyed by the radio edit in GH2, all the emotion was lost

Oh I disagree..

Not only didn't I even notice a difference, but that edit was sorely needed, the original was ridiculously long. One of her best. That and the Beautiful Stranger edit which cut the overlong wanky instrumental outro at the end were THE reason to buy GHV2.

Though I never recall that butchered ROL ever being played on the radio. :americanlife:

Guest ursaminorjim
:noway:

If LAP can appear in all its 5 min glory, then so should the equally epic ROL. There's even more edits/fades and video versions too.

Agree. Some songs are fine (or even improved) by radio edits. Others really need to be allowed their full potentail. I mean, the Best-of that I'm making has the full-length "Like a prayer" on it (including the outro guitar solo and acapella choir) simply because it needs to be there.

So it appears that between 33-36 hits will be included (plus 2 new songs)

If you look at the weird run times on TIC you have

1. Holiday 4:04 (original 7" mix 3:50)

2. Lucky Star 3:36 (7" mix 3:36)

3. Borderline 3:59 (original 3:56)

4. Like a Virgin 3:11 (3:38)

5. Material Girl 3:53 (4:01)

6. Crazy for You 3:44 (4:04)

7. Into the Groove 4:08 (4:43)

8. Live to Tell 5:16 (album version 5:52, edit 4:38)

9. Papa Don't Preach 4:09 (album version 4:29, edit 3:52)

10. Open Your Heart 3:49 (4:18)

11. La Isla Bonita 3:48 (4:03)

12. Like a Prayer 5:50 (album version 5:41, album edit 5:10, 7" version 5:24, 7" version with fade 5:06)

13. Express Yourself 4:02 (4:30)

14. Cherish 3:52 (4:06)

15. Vogue 5:17 (album version 4:49, 7" version 4:24)

16. Justify My Love 5:00 (q-sound edit 4:34)

17. Rescue Me 5:31 (single mix 4:54)

The whole album had a total track time of 73:34 minutes. Let's hope the new tracks don't take up quite so much room this time. Who knows what'll happen. :dramatic:

This site is rather good btw, handy listing of her discography which lists all her official mixes - http://web-o-rama.net/madonnaremixology/

Guest dicktracy

We have to face the fact that unless they use edits then a lot of songs won't fit.

Anyway, 20 per disc will never happen. I will be very surprised if we get 18 per disc. I tend to think that 17 or 18 for the early stuff and no more than 17 for the latter since her 90's singles even after being edited ran over 4 minutes. In addition, I would think that her #1 hits in the UK and US will most likely be included and that she would avoid having too many ballads slowing the discs. With that in mind (I think 3 ballads per disc would be enough) it COULD look something like this:

Disc One:

1. Holiday

2. Borderline

3. Lucky Star

4. Like A Virgin

5. Material Girl

6. Crazy For You

7. Into The Groove

8. Dress You Up

9. Live To Tell

10. Papa Don't Preach

11. True Blue

12. Open Your Heart

13. La Isla Bonita

14. Who's That Girl

15. Like A Prayer

16. Express Yourself

17. Cherish*

18. This Used To Be My Playground*

* This Used To Be My Playground needs to be included because it was #1 in the US and a sizeable hit everywhere. However, it just didn't fit between Justify My Love and Erotica so I think it would thematically fit better at the end of disc one. Remember that in TIC Lucky Star and Borderline are chronologically reversed probably so the disc can flow better so I don't think this would be too much of a stretch.

Disc Two:

1. Vogue

2. Justify My Love

3. Erotica

4. Secret

5. Take A Bow

6. You Must Love Me or Don't Cry For Me Argentina

7. Frozen

8. Ray Of Light

9. American Pie

10. Music

11. Don't Tell Me

12. Die Another Day

13. Hung Up

14. Sorry

15. 4 Minutes

16. Revolver

17. Celebrate

Guest dicktracy
dick tracy, disc 1 is fantasitc, but disc 2 i dont agree with

Thanks Whoopie! Disc 2 is what I'm guessing they may do. I personally would not include anything from Evita and American Pie. But I was just trying to guess...

01. Everybody

02. Holiday

03. Lucky Star

04. Borderline

05. Like A Virgin

06. Material Girl

07. Dress You Up

08. Into The Groove

09. Crazy For You

10. Who's That Girl

11. Papa Don't Preach

12. Open Your Heart

13. Live To Tell

14. La Isla Bonita

15. Like A Prayer

16. Express Yourself

17. Justify My Love

18. This Used To Be My Playground

19. Rain

20. Erotica

21. Revolver

01. Deeper & Deeper

02. Secret

03. Human Nature

04. Bedtime Story

05. Take A Bow

06. You'll See

07. You Must Love Me

08. Frozen

09. Ray Of Light

10. Music

11. Don't Tell Me

12. What It Feels Like For A Girl (Above & Beyond Mix)

13. Die Another Day

14. American Life

15. Hollywood

16. Hung Up

17. Sorry

18. Get Together

19. 4 Minutes (featuring Justin Timberlake & Timbaland)

20. Give It 2 Me

21. Celebrate