S&S DVD release

tatimadge

Great news and I can't wait to see the DVD but I'm kind of dissapointed that Madonna's just gonna be releasing stuff on a major label all over again. The music industry is dying a slow and painful death, I thought she would've come up with a far more interesting method of releasing her material like other ex-label bands have done.

Great news and I can't wait to see the DVD but I'm kind of dissapointed that Madonna's just gonna be releasing stuff on a major label all over again. The music industry is dying a slow and painful death, I thought she would've come up with a far more interesting method of releasing her material like other ex-label bands have done.

Maybe they'll release future releases with whoever is giving the best offer.

That would be an interesting way too. Not to have one label, but to go with the one that is offering the best deal every time.

Anyhow, checking labels I think that Columbia seem to be the one that is promoting its artists the best.

I don't think it matters how well labels promote albums really. No one is selling albums anymore so it's just kind of pointless to keep releasing CDs if you left a major label to get away from all that in the first place. If they offer some sort of interesting deal where the CDs are promoted with concert tickets or specially priced or something then I could see it kind of working, but ultimately if she's a "free agent" she should just be releasing music via her website like Nine Inch Nails did. It made them tons of money.

Look at how Hard Candy did. It didn't flop but it's sales were pretty mediocre. And although Confessions can be hailed as Madonna's last "hit" album, it didn't break 2 million. I think musically she's doing well with her core fanbase (whatever it is) so if she were to release something on her own, she'd make a lot of money. With NIN there was no advances or music videos or promotional spending other than just creating buzz themselves (and all Madonna has to do is just announce that she's releasing an album on her website and people WILL buy it). NIN reaped pretty much all the profit when they released Ghosts. I think they netted 1 million the first week it was released.

Noone is sellingalbums anymore???' that´s not true!!

Well just look at the figures from this year. The numbers are dreadful. I wish I could find the article that discussed just how bad album sales have gotten and how much trouble the music industry is in as of right now.

Guest Pud Whacker

theyre always going to need a DISTRIBUTOR, even indie films need that.

Yes of course, I just thought Madonna would be going a different route and just developing her own distribution method like other artists did - Trent Reznor did it with his own "label" (even though its really just a distribution company) called the Null Corporation, and that was just for the physical stuff. Everything else was digital. Major labels had zero to do with it.

I mean really, you even said yourself that you didn't buy the physical release of Hard Candy :lol: I just assumed it would've been less about the CD now that she's a free agent.

As if Madonna would ever stop releasing albums :chuckle:

Miguel she's not Nine Inch Nails, she's a disco act.

Guest Pud Whacker
Yes of course, I just thought Madonna would be going a different route and just developing her own distribution method like other artists did - Trent Reznor did it with his own "label" (even though its really just a distribution company) called the Null Corporation, and that was just for the physical stuff. Everything else was digital. Major labels had zero to do with it.

I mean really, you even said yourself that you didn't buy the physical release of Hard Candy :lol: I just assumed it would've been less about the CD now that she's a free agent.

yeah, i guess. i really dont know much about the music business. and yes, i didnt buy hard candy, my boyfriend did so i just ripped it!!!! ive given her enough money!!! as long as i get it, i dont care whos delivering...

As if Madonna would ever stop releasing albums :chuckle:

Miguel she's not Nine Inch Nails, she's a disco act.

NIN still releases albums. They're just not through a major record company, the sources of the music industry's demise. That's all I'm saying. If she wants to release physical CDs fine, but since her contract with Warner ended, one would think that she'd be finished with major labels but if she wants to meddle around with Universal, she's really just going the same route once again. Unless she strikes a deal in which they sell her albums for 4.99 with a touring passcode or something. But I doubt that.

Guest Pud Whacker
NIN still releases albums. They're just not through a major record company, the sources of the music industry's demise. That's all I'm saying. If she wants to release physical CDs fine, but since her contract with Warner ended, one would think that she'd be finished with major labels but if she wants to meddle around with Universal, she's really just going the same route once again. Unless she strikes a deal in which they sell her albums for 4.99 with a touring passcode or something. But I doubt that.

RELEASE YOUR HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well just because the #1 album in America only sold 2.8M copies doesn't mean no one is selling albums anymore... worldwide, albums can still sell a decent amount, 8M-10M copies... and with MADONNA, being a worldwide artist that she truly, record labels will crave to promote and distribute her albums in a worlwide scale... to think that the 3.5M-4M HARD CANDY has sold was considered a flop by many...

Guest Pud Whacker
Hard Candy didn't sell 4 million, it barely did 3 million :chuckle:

worldwide? what are the worldwide sales of hard candy?

Guest Pud Whacker
When was the last time someone sold this much? Was it Amy Winehouse? Honestly, those kind of sales are like flukes now. Maybe once every 3 years, someone sells that much. It's not enough to save labels.

SELL YOUR HOLE AS A FLUKE!!!!

Guest Danny86

You do have a point, but Madonna herself said "who knows how my music is going to be released in the future" so I'd say it was only about finding a quick deal to release the biggest grossing solo tour on DVD as soon as possible.

Still, I can't see Madonna being as independent as Prince and releasing music in different ways, she's likely to rely on LN, who I'm sure are going to develop something new for her next studio album than just making a deal with Universal. Also, Madonna's worldwide sales are still consistent and only matched by rock bands, so I'd imagine she'd be one of the last act that labels would get rid of.

well just because the #1 album in America only sold 2.8M copies doesn't mean no one is selling albums anymore... worldwide, albums can still sell a decent amount, 8M-10M copies... and with MADONNA, being a worldwide artist that she truly, record labels will crave to promote and distribute her albums in a worlwide scale... to think that the 3.5M-4M HARD CANDY has sold was considered a flop by many...

I believe the biggest selling album worldwide topped at 6 million this year. There were only a couple albums selling the same amount as COADF since 2005. Madonna's sales were 3-3.5 million and she ended up among the top 10 highest selling of 2008.