S&S DVD release

tatimadge

Guest Danny86
I doubt this is true.

Why would Universal release it?

All the music on the tour has been released by WBR.

Because this tour was the first tour of the LN contract. Warner will get the royalties from the songs (right?), but as a whole, it's not a Warner project anymore.

Or you think all of her upcoming tour DVDs will have to be released under Warner simply because the hits she performs were released under them, unless Madonna will pay tribute to a certain ex-labelmate and will refuse to do Warner songs? :p

Hard Candy didn't sell 4 million, it barely did 3 million :chuckle:

:wacko: barely did 3M?

From Europe (1.7M), US (0.7M), Canada (175k) and Japan (265k) alone it already did 2.84M copies... :wacko:

all we need to do is find where the other 650k copies in the rest of the world and we are already inside the 3.5M-4M figure I am talking about... and mind you that the figures used for US, Canada and Japan are hard sales, not shipments, so it's bound to be higher than that...

Because this tour was the first tour of the LN contract. Warner will get the royalties from the songs (right?), but as a whole, it's not a Warner project anymore.

Or you think all of her upcoming tour DVDs will have to be released under Warner simply because the hits she performs were released under them, unless Madonna will pay tribute to a certain ex-labelmate and will refuse to do Warner songs? :p

Warner owns the studio recordings Madonna did with them- the actual recordings. If she sings them live, re-sings / re-records them for another company etc Warner has nothing to do with it, they get no money, etc.

Guest Danny86
Warner owns the studio recordings Madonna did with them- the actual recordings. If she sings them live, re-sings / re-records them for another company etc Warner has nothing to do with it, they get no money, etc.

I guessed it was like that, thanks for the clarification! :thumbsup:

So how come in concert DVDs they always have to clear rights to certain songs and sometimes they're not even included if they can't get them?

Guest Danny86

It's not "WBR Brazil", it's a source that told MadonnaOnline.br and was also confirmed by MadonnaTribe who had all the exclusive info in the past 2 years.

^Exactly.

Why are we believing WBR Brazil? What do they know?

I'm waiting for official word from WBR US or UK.

what a fuck are you talking about? this is not a Warner release! GET REAL :wacko:

:doh:

So how come in concert DVDs they always have to clear rights to certain songs and sometimes they're not even included if they can't get them?

Warner owns the studio recordings (which don't come into play on a live concert DVD- unless they wanted to use a studio recording during the end credits or in a special feature, which probably won't be an issue) but there is always the matter of getting permission and giving royalties to the songwriters (or whoever owns the copywrite) for all tracks played, too. Since Madonna writes and owns most of her music she only has a couple of numbers to clear (Here Comes The Rain Again would be an obvious example- if whoever owns the copywrite to that song refuses to allow it to be included on this release, they would have to cut it or switch the music- but all these matters relating to a DVD release were likely cleared up before the tour even started). If the version played on tour was taken from the studio recording (which it probably was) then the record company that was recorded for was involved, too.

Guest Danny86
If the version played on tour was taken from the studio recording (which it probably was) then the record company that was recorded for was involved, too.

Since none of the Madonna songs on tour have anything from their studio versions, I guess she doesn't even have to ask any permission?

On the other hand, there are a lot of samples on this tour, but I would be surprised that any of the writers opposed to Madonna using them on DVD...

No matter how you look at it....this is her DEBUT RELEASE through LIVE NATION

& im sure both MADONNA & LN will want the biggest sales/success possible in order

to validate their partnership. therefore, expect a HIGH GLOSS RELEASE with all the

bells & whistles

ASAP I HOPE :thumbsup:

Guest Danny86
No matter how you look at it....this is her DEBUT RELEASE through LIVE NATION

& im sure both MADONNA & LN will want the biggest sales/success possible in order

to validate their partnership. therefore, expect a HIGH GLOSS RELEASE with all the

bells & whistles

ASAP I HOPE :thumbsup:

As it totally should be!!! :thumbsup:

"Beat Goes On" tour video should promote DVD! :wow:

I always told here that BGO should be a video to promote, whether if it is the DVD or not. And it must contain scenes from the backdrop video of Get Stupid interlude. That video I ahve in my fantasies :dramatic:

On the other hand, there are a lot of samples on this tour, but I would be surprised that any of the writers opposed to Madonna using them on DVD...

In those cases they should be recieving some kind of compensation ($) and I'm sure it's all taken care of in the early stages.

Guest Danny86
In those cases they should be recieving some kind of compensation ($) and I'm sure it's all taken care of in the early stages.

Yes, but wasn't the Stardust sample in "Holiday" on DWT DVD cut because of that? :confused:

Madonna and her lawyers think about this ahead of time. Contracts to use samples on her tours have probably always had the clause that the performance could end up on TV or in a DVD.

Does anyone really think Madonna uses a sample and then suddenly realizes 6 months later that she can't include it on a DVD? She's a control freak. If she can't use it later, it's likely not to be in the tour. She is capable of thinking ahead, you know.

I was well miffed when he DWT DVD cut the Stardust sample out of HOLIDAY

At least i have it on the version i recorded off TV

Anyway, i hope this DVD is great..alhough 2 discs, one wil prb be the standard live disc wont it ?

Guest Spotlight
Yes, but wasn't the Stardust sample in "Holiday" on DWT DVD cut because of that? :confused:

Was it?? I have a copy of the broadcast, not the official DVD... what are the differences? =\ I know the CT broadcast didn't have as many angles as the DVD, less post-production etc. Was it basically the same deal?

Edited by Spotlight