New W photoshoot with Steven Klein [merged]

Guest bulgar

http://www.wmagazine.com/w/blogs/editorsbl...ianne-phill.htm

Why Madonna Wore the Beckham Dress... and more

Costume designer Arianne Phillips, the stylist behind "Blame it on Rio," has been collaborating with Madonna for more than a decade, from the star's geisha-inspired period to her Patty Hearst look for American Life. Phillips, who also masterminded the clothing for Madonna's two previous epic photo portfolios for W (2003's "Madonna Unbound" and 2006's "Madonna Rides Again"), talked to us about the looks she chose for their latest collaboration.

The black zippered dress is so prominent in the story. What made you choose it and what did its designer (Victoria Beckham) have to do with it, if anything?

I initially chose this dress for the classic 50s-60s slim silhouette, which was what I was after for our story. I was also intrigued since it is from Beckham's debut collection -- I liked the "story" of one pop star to another. And I was pleasantly surprised at the high quality of the dress. The fabrication, details and fit are very well thought out.

Tell us about that graphic sequined dress. All the credit says is that it's vintage and from The Way We Wore, the vintage store in LA.

The dress is reminiscent of our initial inspiration for the shoot, the 1963 Jeanne Moreau film The Bay of Angels. It's from the select archives of Doris Raymond, the owner of The Way We Wore. Madonna had specifically requested I include some vintage 50s and early 60s garments to mix with the contemporary designer fashions, and Doris is my "go to" person for vintage. She has an amazing eye and unique sensitivity to vintage.

What are the sunglasses Madonna wears in so many of the shots?

I believe those are D&G. We loved them.

What's with the little lace gloves?

With styling I find it's always about balance -- not over accessorizing, while still being able to create a character. There was a finished, formal quality to the way women dressed in the 50s and 60s. Their outfits were complete with hat, gloves, jewelry and hosiery, and there was a modesty and femininity to the way women dressed. I found that the little lace gloves finished her character perfectly, as they're both demure and provocative.

What's up next for you?

I designed the costumes for Tom Ford's directorial debut, A Single Man, starring Colin Firth and Julianne Moore, which is forthcoming this fall. Right now I'm helping refurbish and create some new looks for Madonna's summer tour extension and I'm getting ready to attend the women's collections in Paris.

CLICK HERE to see selections from Steven Klein's portfolio, "Blame it on Rio."

Portrait by Joemama Nitzberg

What's up next for you?

I designed the costumes for Tom Ford's directorial debut, A Single Man, starring Colin Firth and Julianne Moore, which is forthcoming this fall. Right now I'm helping refurbish and create some new looks for Madonna's summer tour extension and I'm getting ready to attend the women's collections in Paris.

:shock::D:clap:

Guest Danny86

^She's responsible for the Old School & Futuristic Rave outfits, I guess those are gonna receive some changes. Old School most likely, because remember Madonna used an alternate costume on a few shows.

^She's responsible for the Old School & Futuristic Rave outfits, I guess those are gonna receive some changes. Old School most likely, because remember Madonna used an alternate costume on a few shows.

Madonna's not as skinny now as she was last summer so they definitely would have to alter some of the costumes to make them fit her.

Madonna's not as skinny now as she was last summer so they definitely would have to alter some of the costumes to make them fit her.

i hope they re-issue all new comtumes...but i cant see that happening since its an EXTENsion. :americanlife:

Tell us about that graphic sequined dress. All the credit says is that it's vintage and from The Way We Wore, the vintage store in LA.

The dress is reminiscent of our initial inspiration for the shoot, the 1963 Jeanne Moreau film The Bay of Angels. It's from the select archives of Doris Raymond, the owner of The Way We Wore. Madonna had specifically requested I include some vintage 50s and early 60s garments to mix with the contemporary designer fashions, and Doris is my "go to" person for vintage. She has an amazing eye and unique sensitivity to vintage.

I so love this!!!!!! :inlove:

Can't wait to see what she designs for the tour this summer!!

Excellent article Catch, Thanks!!

Inspiration for W Magazine shoot?

M5515.jpg

La_Baie_des_anges_01.jpg

39bf697b-cedb-4b90-87cd-38378463caba.jpg

baie-des-anges-jeanne-moreau_127.jpg

la-baie-des-anges-03-1963-2-m.jpg

from the film "Bay of Angels" with Jeanne Moreau.

fass_madonna.jpg

The Wikipedia summary of this film's plot:

Jean Fournier (Claude Mann) is a young bank employee who is encouraged by his friend Caron to take an interest in gambling. After winning money in a game of roulette, he decides to vacation in Nice, where he falls in love with Jackie (Jeanne Moreau), divorced and mother to a child she rarely visits. Though Jackie also enjoys Jean's company, she constantly warns him that her passion for gambling will always be greater.

Jean becomes jealous of not having all of her attention and has mixed feelings about gambling, yet he too is to some extend seduced by this new life style that involves taking risks. Despite Jackie's cool façade and alleged control over her choices - she claims she is unattached to the money itself, but rather the thrill of the game, and doesn't mind going from rich to poor in a matter of seconds -, she soon begins to reveal her vulnerability and the emptiness she often feels as result of her addiction.

It sounds like a parallel to Madonna & Guy's marriage with 'fame' replacing the gambling part. I love when Madonna injects her own story into her shoots.

The Wikipedia summary of this film's plot:

Jean Fournier (Claude Mann) is a young bank employee who is encouraged by his friend Caron to take an interest in gambling. After winning money in a game of roulette, he decides to vacation in Nice, where he falls in love with Jackie (Jeanne Moreau), divorced and mother to a child she rarely visits. Though Jackie also enjoys Jean's company, she constantly warns him that her passion for gambling will always be greater.

Jean becomes jealous of not having all of her attention and has mixed feelings about gambling, yet he too is to some extend seduced by this new life style that involves taking risks. Despite Jackie's cool façade and alleged control over her choices - she claims she is unattached to the money itself, but rather the thrill of the game, and doesn't mind going from rich to poor in a matter of seconds -, she soon begins to reveal her vulnerability and the emptiness she often feels as result of her addiction.

It sounds like a parallel to Madonna & Guy's marriage with 'fame' replacing the gambling part. I love when Madonna injects her own story into her shoots.

I love when she does that too. It makes sense too for why she did this shoot like this even more now if that's why she did it. Thanks for the movie plot summary.

• 1 month later...

Since I was an idiot and didn't get this issue while it was on the shelves, I just tried to order the back issue by phone and W said it was hugely popular and that there are no back issues available from them for March 2009. :shock:

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an excerpt of it:

INTERVIEWER: Jesus is a challenging name

JESUS: It was my father's idea. I was just born and the whole family was at home gathered around my mother

then my father declared: " I have called him Jesus". Everyone was laughing at him saying: " Don't be silly.....he's

going to have Pedro, Thiago or Lucas for a name...." So he placed the register office paper with my name

registered on the table. Someone objected: " It's an immodest name, you are wrong with this, the Lord will

punish you". So my father raised me towards the sky and asked Jesus, the real one and he said to him: " if

you think I am making a mistake, punish me, not my son"

INTERVIEWER: When did you meet Madonna?

J Steven introduced me to her at a party after her concert

I What was your first impression?

J She was pleasant, easy-going, a lot of positive energy.

I When you were on the set half naked weren't you embarassed?

J No we in Brazil are used to wearing a bathing suit, we are comfortable with our bodies.

I The fact that your photoshoot partner wasn't an ordinary model didn't make you nervous?

J At the beginning yes, a little....but then I thought that at the end of the day we are all the same, all human

beings, I was there to work.

I How are you coping with your newly found celebrity status of the past few weeks?

J I am fine with it. I try to stay with my feet on the ground. I don't think I am better than anyone just because

I have had paparazzi following me.

I Did the paps bother you?

J I admit it can be unpleasant but I chose this profession, to work with my image therefore I accept it

I What do you want to do when you grow up?

J Lots of things. I'd like to produce music.

I Did Madonna give you any advice

J I can't answer to that

I Does Madonna know you are releasing this interview?

J Yes

I Do you think she's going to ask you how the interview went?

J Uhm

I In Portuguese there's a colourful expression to define affectionate friendships. You say "amizade colorida"

(colourful friendship). Is this the nature of your relationship with Madonna?

J No colour. She is just a friend. She's a person in my life, we share the same views on many things,

there's a lot of exchange as it happens between friends. Forgive me but how many times will you mention

Madonna in this interview relating her to me? three, four?

I I think so (I was lying Jesus, forgive me). How do you feel now?

J Free! I can do many things now: travel, earn money and help my family....

I In Portuguese there's a colourful expression to define affectionate friendships. You say "amizade colorida"

(colourful friendship). Is this the nature of your relationship with Madonna?

J No colour. She is just a friend. She's a person in my life, we share the same views on many things,

there's a lot of exchange as it happens between friends. Forgive me but how many times will you mention

Madonna in this interview relating her to me? three, four?

must be pretty hard to be Madonna's boytoy, husband, backup singer, nanny, driver, BROTHER, whatever :rotfl: