US Chart Talk: 12/20/08

thebigham

It makes perfect sense. As HG said, her hardcore fans will support this. That and the hype surrounding this release. With her becoming a tabloid circus freak the last few years, it has def amped up the interest. Does this happen with them all? Sure to some extent. However, I do not hear anyone aside from the few odd gays who care at all about her music. It is never about her music. All I hear is the tabloid shit everyone is interested in.

So her CD will do well at first with her hardcore fan base( her hype, heavy promotion, holiday sales and yet another comeback will aide her initially). Then, like her last "effort", this will fade then we will be on yet another comback.

Is it really so hard to see why hype and promotion gets people to buy something out of curiosity? It is why we have promotion and hype to begin with. If people like it, then it may have legs. I doubt it though. Quality and good are not two words I associate with Britney. Her vocals are so heavily processed it might as well be that robot from George Jetson singing.

The fact that Circus is projected to do a good 150,000-200,000 more than Blackout in its first week should say something about that "hardcore fan base." Clearly she's picked up some interest between releases.

Guest nothingfails0603
So her CD will do well at first with her hardcore fan base( her hype, heavy promotion, holiday sales and yet another comeback will aide her initially). Then, like her last "effort", this will fade then we will be on yet another comback.

I do think this year is quite a bit different than last. This is Britney's time to make a comeback. Last year was perhaps the worst year of her career and Britney was seen as a pariah and trainwreck and Blackout was lucky to sell what it did considering radio wasn't touching her, she wasn't up to promoting the album and every time her name was mentioned on the news, it was negative. What a difference a year makes. Womanizer is her biggest radio hit since Toxic, she's going out on tour and granting interviews and performances and the media seems to be pro-Britney. I don't think she'll ever score the success she had in 1999-2001 ever again (nobody right now is selling that well) but I think this album will go down a much bigger success than Blackout without much of a problem.

God, something's wrong with me, I'm actually defending Britters these days :lol:

Guest jamesshot
Well why do people even bother buying her songs on iTunes if no one cares about hte music? It may be slutty trashy pop but people LIKE IT. And even though I think Britney is lightyears away from Madonna talent-wise, people were calling Madonna's music slutty and throaway in the 80's I'm sure. And we all know that isn't the case.

Give the girl a break. She's not eating babies or calling herself a "VISUAL ARTISTE WHO IS NOT LOWBROW AND HARKENS BACK TO THE DAYS OF WARHOL." She's Britney. Who cares.

ACCLAIMED ARTIST WITH 10 YEARS OF SUCCESS.

Oh Miguel I just can't. I can't. Sure people called Madonna all those things but she also was noticed by many cooler heads as being far and above what they initially thought of her. Madonna just had a very negative first impression that alot of people coulnd't shake.

Britney? It has been 10 years. I see no growth. People like all sorts of crap--J-Lo did great for awhile!

How much longer can we stretch her "talent"? She is past her expiration date.

She hasn't had 10 of success. She hasn't been successful in 4-5 years.

I find her music just drivel. I am by NO means a music snob. You should see my I-Pod. I have Aqua on it for crying out loud. But they were one hit wonders. It was FUN while it lasted but geez I can't imagine them extending that into a 10 year career.

Guest jamesshot
The fact that Circus is projected to do a good 150,000-200,000 more than Blackout in its first week should say something about that "hardcore fan base." Clearly she's picked up some interest between releases.

Its called 3 years of being a tabloid freak, selling during the Holidays and doing smart and crazy promotion. On that, I tip my hat her way.

Guest nothingfails0603
Oh Miguel I just can't. I can't. Sure people called Madonna all those things but she also was noticed by many cooler heads as being far and above what they initially thought of her. Madonna just had a very negative first impression that alot of people coulnd't shake.

Britney? It has been 10 years. I see no growth. People like all sorts of crap--J-Lo did great for awhile!

How much longer can we stretch her "talent"? She is past her expiration date.

She hasn't had 10 of success. She hasn't been successful in 4-5 years.

I find her music just drivel. I am by NO means a music snob. You should see my I-Pod. I have Aqua on it for crying out loud. But they were one hit wonders. It was FUN while it lasted but geez I can't imagine them extending that into a 10 year career.

I don't think Britney is particularly talented either, but kinda like J. Lo, she can have fun pop songs every now and then. she will never be in Madge's league IMO but she does have her share of nice fun little dance-pop songs like Toxic, Gimme More, Slave 4 U, Womanizer, etc... I'd never consider her an artist by any stretch but she can and has come out with fun little pop songs every now and then.

Guest jamesshot
All of this applied to Blackout as well. You're making no head way.

Except she gave a disastrous MTV performance right before then did she really promote after that????????????

I am not seeking approval or trying to change minds. I am having a back and forth with posters. Knock yourself out with Britney. I find her boring as an individual, as a singer, as an artist, as a performing( yes even that). I will never see what anyone sees in her.

"Hit me Baby...." was great. After that...not so much.

Guest jamesshot
I don't think Britney is particularly talented either, but kinda like J. Lo, she can have fun pop songs every now and then. she will never be in Madge's league IMO but she does have her share of nice fun little dance-pop songs like Toxic, Gimme More, Slave 4 U, Womanizer, etc... I'd never consider her an artist by any stretch but she can and has come out with fun little pop songs every now and then.

Toxic was also quite nice I suppose. The other ones? Ehhh

Except she gave a disastrous MTV performance right before then did she really promote after that????????????

I am not seeking approval or trying to change minds. I am having a back and forth with posters. Knock yourself out with Britney. I find her boring as an individual, as a singer, as an artist, as a performing( yes even that). I will never see what anyone sees in her.

Ok. :lol:

Guest nothingfails0603

I think Chris Crocker promoted Blackout more than Britney did :lol:

None of Britney's albums are acclaimd in the sense that they appearo n many year-end lists, best-of lists, etc. Not just talking about reviews when the album comes out. This won't change with Circass, I'm sure. She has had two- count em two- singles that have been pretty acclaiemd- "...Baby" and "Toxic." "Oops... to a lesser degree (it was Baby Xerox, after all).

Madonna was called many things, Miggie, but the music always won out (in addition to what she did in her work)- Spears' doesn't have those things in her favor. She always will remain a big star, though, no doubt.

And, to bring this back to the charts- it's good that Ms. Spears is having this moment of commercial success- I'm happy for her in that sense. She needs soem good news after the mess of the last two years.

well, Blackout was generally acclaimed. Well, not acclaimed in a Radiohead/Coldplay sense, but considering Britney has never been a critical darling, the reviews she got with Blackout were amazing

Some reviews were good others not. I woudnt call them amazing. For a general feel of what reviewers said, check metacritic.com

Blackout 61% (I would call it rather poor) HC got 65%, American Life 60% and Circus at the moment 65% although it may change as it is a new release.

I dont know why people think the reviews were good where that website which compiles more than 20 reviews clearly shows otherwise....

And, to bring this back to the charts- it's good that Ms. Spears is having this moment of commercial success- I'm happy for her in that sense. She needs soem good news after the mess of the last two years.

Also, I think it is important to add that ANY ARTIST who is doing DANCE POP and turning in big numbers is a boon for Madonna's future. She is, after all, the quintessential dance-pop artist and Madonna's greatest resurgences seem to ride a parallel wave to the resurrection of pop music in the mainstream.

Also, I think it is important to add that ANY ARTIST who is doing DANCE POP and turning in big numbers is a boon for Madonna's future. She is, after all, the quintessential dance-pop artist and Madonna's greatest resurgences seem to ride a parallel wave to the resurrection of pop music in the mainstream.

Yeah, but Madonna is still a fossil in the pop world. No big pop music wave is going to change that for the poor gal. :thumbsup:

Britney's album is going to do well whether you guys want to admit it or not. And it deserves to. It's a great album. Again, you can hate her, but this time around there's a big response to what she's doing - not only because her health is back in order, but because the songs are pretty great.

Then Blackout should have done alot better than it did, if we're speaking of quality terms.

That album indeed was great and deserved success.

I *knew* this would cause an uproar here. It did on Togerland, it did on SayHey, it did here.

I *knew* this would cause an uproar here. It did on Togerland, it did on SayHey, it did here.

Everyone joke about Kylie, Janet, Christina, etc... did you think Britney would be immune?

Time will tell us if this is a real comeback or just an improvement (which isnt very difficult) from Blackout.

Certainly I think her albums are getting better (although far from great).

Yeah, that's true. But, some of these chicks take Britney like a personal attack. They even called her irrelevant and then they go and make meltdown threads when someone call Madonna a "has-been" when she clearly is not. It's called double standard and it's pathetic for supposed "adults".

Guest nothingfails0603
Then Blackout should have done alot better than it did, if we're speaking of quality terms.

That album indeed was great and deserved success.

Britney could've recorded her ROL and it still would've underperformed because of Britney's "status" in 2007, it was probably worse than Madonna in 92/93

Guest nothingfails0603
^ Again, great? says who?

Great is all a personal subjective opinion. You have a Dixie Chicks avatar, I personally think they're boring but do realize they're critical darlings. I know several people offhand who aren't huge Britney fans, but fans of dance/pop and thought Blackout was a "better Kylie album than X". One guy offhand said, and I quote, "if this was a Kylie album, it would've been a massive worldwide hit" regarding Blackout.