US Chart Talk: 12/20/08

thebigham

HITS:

YOUR WEAKEND TOP 10 CHART PREVIEW: As we head into the home stretch of the sales week, it’s all about the resurgent Britney Spears, whose Circus (Jive/ZLG) has far exceeded expectations and now appears headed toward 470-490k. Just what the doctor ordered—a feel-good story heading into the holidays. The only other debut that will make the leader board is Akon’s Freedom (SRC/Universal Motown), which should wind up at #7 with a projected 90-95k.

Otherwise it’ll be the usual suspects: #2 Taylor Swift (Big Machine), 170-180k; #3 Beyonce (Music World/Columbia), 160-170k; #4 Kanye West (Roc-a-Fella/IDJ), 150-160k; #5 Twilight (Chop Shop/Atlantic), 120-130k; #6 Nickelback (Roadrunner), 110-120k; #8 Now 29 (UMe) 85-90k; and #9-10 dust-up between David Cook (19/RCA/RMG) and High School Musical 3 (Walt Disney), both trending toward 80-85k. Speaking of trends, next week’s Top 10 will break the recent pattern of domination by one or two labels and will instead be spread among 10 different ones. (12/5p)

ONE year ago:

CHART DATE: 12/10/2007

1 1 JOSH GROBAN REPRISE 568,116 +7%

NOEL

3 2 ALICIA KEYS J RECORDS/RMG 234,552 -8%

AS I AM

2 3 EAGLES EAGLES RECORDING COMPANY 203,984 -34%

LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN

4 4 NOW 26 EMI COMMERCIAL MARKETING 159,382 +28%

VARIOUS ARTISTS

6 5 HANNAH MONTANA 2 - MEET MILEY WALT DISNEY RECORDS 136,433 +45%

SOUNDTRACK

8 6 HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 2 WALT DISNEY RECORDS 130,872 +41%

SOUNDTRACK

9 7 CARRIE UNDERWOOD ARISTA/RMG 105,529 +15%

CARNIVAL RIDE

5 8 GARTH BROOKS PEARL RECORDS 103,034 -5%

ULTIMATE HITS

-- 9 BLAKE LEWIS 19/ARISTA/RMG 98,017 --

AUDIO DAY DREAM

12 10 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 97,180 +38%

TAYLOR SWIFT

NOW IN: 54.02%

-- 1 BRITNEY SPEARS JIVE/ZLG 243,791

CIRCUS

2 2 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 126,392

FEARLESS

7 3 NICKELBACK ROADRUNNER 78,581

DARK HORSE

1 4 KANYE WEST ROC-A-FELLA/IDJMG 72,485

808S & HEARTBREAK

9 5 NOW 29 UME 70,500

VARIOUS ARTISTS

-- 6 AKON SRC/UNIVERSAL MOTOWN 62,441

FREEDOM

4 7 BEYONCE COLUMBIA 61,959

I AM... SASHA FIERCE

8 8 TWILIGHT ATLANTIC 58,579

SOUNDTRACK

10 9 DAVID COOK 19/RCA/RMG 57,704

DAVID COOK

12 10 AC/DC COLUMBIA 52,555

BLACK ICE

This was last week's top 10 after a similar percentage had been reported:

CHART DATE: 12/01/2008

LAST UPDATE: 12/02/2008 11:49:00

NOW IN: 54.98%

LW TW artist / album label power index

-- 1 KANYE WEST ROC-A-FELLA/IDJMG 333,706

808S & HEARTBREAK

4 2 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 165,352

FEARLESS

-- 3 GUNS N' ROSES GEFFEN 148,183

CHINESE DEMOCRACY

-- 4 LUDACRIS DEF JAM/IDJMG 125,203

THEATER OF THE MIND

7 5 NOW 29 UME 114,103

VARIOUS ARTISTS

1 6 BEYONCE COLUMBIA 114,003

I AM... SASHA FIERCE

2 7 NICKELBACK ROADRUNNER 106,908

DARK HORSE

-- 8 KILLERS ISLAND/IDJMG 76,089

DAY & AGE

6 9 TWILIGHT ATLANTIC 69,125

SOUNDTRACK

3 10 DAVID COOK 19/RCA/RMG 61,208

DAVID COOK

LOL Desperate attempts? And flopping? What'chu talkin' about Willis?

It is a sales chart, isn't it? There's nothing wrong with showing comparisons from week to week. For that matter, who cares about the chart one year ago? Exactly.

It's to give a comparison- West's numbers didn't go up as much as, say, Beyonce's, from 54% to FINAL. Spears' could go the way of West when more updates occur, or gain a lot, like Beyonce did.

Buy why didn't you post BOTH Yonka's and Kanye's updates? :chuckle:

Your post was full of wishful thinking.

Um, it's because the HITS thread from last week on Pulse was right there on page one, thanks very much. :)

Spears will fare fine, and she should easily top sales of her last album- all that matters for her, commercially, right now.

Guest jamesshot

Geezus, she will have 1 to 2 good weeks. Then she is going to tank hard. No one cares about Britney's music anymore. She is too much of a Circus media freak.

Geezus, she will have 1 to 2 good weeks. Then she is going to tank hard. No one cares about Britney's music anymore. She is too much of a Circus media freak.

Pure lunacy. Just because that happened to Hard Candy doesn't mean it will happen to Circus.

Guest nothingfails0603

regardless of if Britney sells more or less than Kanye, keep in mind that these days in the music biz, you're only as good as your last album. Kanye released a new album on the biggest sales week of the year and opened with HALF what his last album did in a typical September week, also substantially less than the album preceding that. Britney is following up her least successful album to date that has sold total what Kanye's 2007 album did in its first week. The ball is in Britney's court because no matter what, it's an upturn from Blackouts sales while Kanye is doing half what he did last year.

:lmao: lmao

he's just bitter cause his Redneck Jesus skeeze is pulling in sub-par #s worldwide, except for the US and he knows it. He's a physco Britney loon w/ horrendous energy. I wish he would just go off and troll around Brits main message board and leave here for good. He's this zit which refuses to pop! Contributes nothing positive to a *MADONNA* forum.

Guest jamesshot
Pure lunacy. Just because that happened to Hard Candy doesn't mean it will happen to Circus.

She has enough publicity didn't she? She needed EVERY BIT OF IT. And she needed the Holiday season. Honey, do you honestly think anyone gives a shit about Britney's music? Poor thing. They don't.

I thought "Black(ed) Out" was supposed to be her comeback? Oh, right. That didn't take.

When interest fades fast( and it will) what will the excuse be? Afterall, she can't keep up the publicity( or can she? The paps sure do know how often she shops. Think she calls them to tell them where she be?). LOL

People only care about her in the Circus freak way. Not for her "music".

NOW IN: 68.46%

LW TW artist / album label power index

-- 1 BRITNEY SPEARS JIVE/ZLG 349,487

CIRCUS

2 2 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 137,220

FEARLESS

1 3 KANYE WEST ROC-A-FELLA/IDJMG 97,455

808S & HEARTBREAK

7 4 NICKELBACK ROADRUNNER 86,857

DARK HORSE

-- 5 AKON SRC/UNIVERSAL MOTOWN 82,982

FREEDOM

8 6 TWILIGHT ATLANTIC 75,179

SOUNDTRACK

9 7 NOW 29 UME 70,500

VARIOUS ARTISTS

4 8 BEYONCE COLUMBIA 69,786

I AM... SASHA FIERCE

10 9 DAVID COOK 19/RCA/RMG 62,244

DAVID COOK

12 10 AC/DC COLUMBIA 52,555

BLACK ICE

This makes no sense. If they don't care about her music what are they buying? An album with no sound? People are parting with their cash to pay for an album of Britney singing pop songs. What's so confusing about that? If they don't want to hear Britney's music, then they'd do something else with that money. I think it's pretty simple.

Britney's album is going to do well whether you guys want to admit it or not. And it deserves to. It's a great album. Again, you can hate her, but this time around there's a big response to what she's doing - not only because her health is back in order, but because the songs are pretty great.

When all is said and done, mega-fans will love the album, but will it go down as an ACCLAIMED effort? Probably not. :) But that's just biz as usual for Ms. Spears and her albums. Her life over the last few years definitely heightened the interest in her, and now, as with others in the past, people love a nice commercial comeback (think Mimi as a recent example).

This album could get to half of In the Zone's sales, and in this day and age, that would be a success.

Guest jamesshot
This makes no sense. If they don't care about her music what are they buying? An album with no sound? People are parting with their cash to pay for an album of Britney singing pop songs. What's so confusing about that? If they don't want to hear Britney's music, then they'd do something else with that money. I think it's pretty simple.

It makes perfect sense. As HG said, her hardcore fans will support this. That and the hype surrounding this release. With her becoming a tabloid circus freak the last few years, it has def amped up the interest. Does this happen with them all? Sure to some extent. However, I do not hear anyone aside from the few odd gays who care at all about her music. It is never about her music. All I hear is the tabloid shit everyone is interested in.

So her CD will do well at first with her hardcore fan base( her hype, heavy promotion, holiday sales and yet another comeback will aide her initially). Then, like her last "effort", this will fade then we will be on yet another comback.

Is it really so hard to see why hype and promotion gets people to buy something out of curiosity? It is why we have promotion and hype to begin with. If people like it, then it may have legs. I doubt it though. Quality and good are not two words I associate with Britney. Her vocals are so heavily processed it might as well be that robot from George Jetson singing.

Guest nothingfails0603
When all is said and done, mega-fans will love the album, but will it go down as an ACCLAIMED effort? Probably not. :)

well, Blackout was generally acclaimed. Well, not acclaimed in a Radiohead/Coldplay sense, but considering Britney has never been a critical darling, the reviews she got with Blackout were amazing

Well why do people even bother buying her songs on iTunes if no one cares about hte music? It may be slutty trashy pop but people LIKE IT. And even though I think Britney is lightyears away from Madonna talent-wise, people were calling Madonna's music slutty and throaway in the 80's I'm sure. And we all know that isn't the case.

Give the girl a break. She's not eating babies or calling herself a "VISUAL ARTISTE WHO IS NOT LOWBROW AND HARKENS BACK TO THE DAYS OF WARHOL." She's Britney. Who cares.

ACCLAIMED ARTIST WITH 10 YEARS OF SUCCESS.