SERIOUS DISCUSSION regarding the forthcoming Madonna compilation release.

Mattress

All of her latest singles have been rather short.

"Hung Up" is 3:22... "Die Another Day" is 3:30...

yeah, but the radio edit of 4M is so crappy it left the beautiful Intro and Outro, which are essentials... the entire song is just less than 4 minutes, why shorten it further to that crap..

HG says it's been delayed. 2Q here we come.

to be honest, March 2009 announcement this week is rather very soon and rushed...

2nd quarter is ok, April-May is a good spot just don't pit it with a huge artist and we rightfully deserve a #1 MADONNA compilation... TIC, STR and GHV2 are non #1s mind everyone here...

I keep noticing GH threads popping up recently, and instead of creating my own, id rather just post it in here. so i hope you dont mind mattress.

Anyways, for about 2 years now, i have been creating my own Madonna career spanning retrospective collection.

The whole project would be titled "Madonna - 25 Years"

It would include, not only disc(s) for her "greatest hits" but also a disc on b-sides, rareties, unreleased recording, a compilation disc of live recordings, and a compilation disc of remixes throughout the years.

I was planning on releasing this collection with covers and everything in HQ to the public for download, but due to personal issues and busy schedules, i havent had the time to come around and complete everything.

Im only going to discuss the greatest hits disc.

Here is the cover i came up with by the way:

covertf7.png

In my opinion, a single disc compilation does not do justice, neither can a 2 disc set. I think were better off going with 3 discs.

This way you can not only fit more songs into the collection, but also refrain from using edited down tracks.

Speaking of edits, i think the collection should start fresh and new. What im talking about is using new edits, not only edits (editing down) but also alternate versions of tracks, remixes, maybe even extended versions. I think its very bland and boring to just throw on already released radio edits and album version. Us fans already have those on our computers and in our CD collections. Give us something new.

And for the project, thats what i did, i made some of my own edits, with different intro's and endings, i even used some of TheRain1981's edits too (which are fabulous by the way) Unfortunatly, its too hard to discuss how each song is edited in tracklist, so ill do my best for the tracklist descriptions.

Also i added in something extra into the collection, inbetween tracks, i would throw in a small excerpt from an interview. I think the idea is neat-o. But it's cooler if you were to hear it. (For Example: Before Everybody, would use small excerpt from American Bandstand interview with Dick Clark. Before Dress You Up, there would be the audio of Madonna speaking from the begining of the Virgin Tour VHS, etc... etc.....)

The tracklist. When everyone puts these collections together and make their own, they go for only her #1 hits. Wrong-o. I did not go with that. Instead, i based the collection on whats important from Madonna's catalog. Songs, that when you think of Madonna's name or image, you think of right from the top of your head. It's a career retrospective, i didnt want to leave anything out.

Disc 1

1) Everybody

YCD remix.

2) Holiday

3) Lucky Star

Edit of video remix.

4) Borderline

5) Dress You Up

6) Like a Virgin

Album version.

7) Material Girl

Just like LAV, it needs to be the album version, no remix. Nothing like The Immaculate Collection

8) Into The Groove

Original album version. No Piano.

9) Crazy For You

10) Live To Tell

11) Papa Don't Preach

12) Open Your Heart

Edit of the remix. I feel the remix is much much much stronger than the original album mix.

13) La Isla Bonita

14) Who's That Girl

15) Like a Prayer

Im not big on the edits and 7" versions with or without fades. I much prefer the album mix. It begins and ends perfectly. However, i did come across this remastered version that uses the ending from one of the remixes (the name has slipped my mind) and it ends beautifully, though it brings the track to around 6 minutes.

16) Express Yourself

I wasnt exactly sure which mix to go with. It's either the video mix using the 7" remix or the longer video mix using the Shep remix.

17) Cherish

Video version.

Disc 2

1) Vogue

2) Justify My Love

Q-sound edit. I think this version is composed better than the album version. There's more moans and such in this edit.

3) Erotica

5) Deeper and Deeper

6) Fever

Edit one, aka the video mix.

7) Rain

8) This Used To Be My Playground

Video version, it's not to long, and not to short.

9) I'll Remember

Orbit's Alternative Mix

10) Secret

DWT mix.

11) Human Nature

Album version, no editing, but uses the video ending rather than a fade.

12) Bedtime Story

Video version.

13) Take a Bow

14) You'll See

15) Don't Cry For Me Argentina

Miami mix.

16) You Must Love Me

Disc 3

1) Frozen

Album version.

2) Ray of Light

Extended demo.

3) Power of Goodbye

4) Beautiful Stranger

5) American Pie

6) Music

DWT tour version.

7) Don't Tell Me

8) What It Feels Like for a Girl

9) Die Another Day

10) American Life

No rap version.

11) Hung Up

12) Sorry

13) Jump

14) 4 Minutes

Album version. The radio version cuts out the begining and ending, which are fantastic parts of the song, and also, its not even 4 minutes which alot of DJ's complained about.

15) Give It 2 Me

16) New Song

17) New Song

I was debating on whether or not new tracks should be added, it is a "greatest hits" collection, whats the point of adding new stuff then. But then there is the issue of doing it for the fans and the sake of sales. If there werent any new tracks, i would have included Drowned World/ Substitute For Love into the tracklist.

because i made it before the Hard Candy era

:(

sorry

It's ok, it's better off without those anyway :thumbsup:

^Why do you hate "Die Another Day" that much? ;)

Ugh. Don't get me started on DAD or the American Life era! Probably my least favourite Madonna single, even though I know there's technically worse ones like "One More Chance". Tuneless, robotic, soulless pile of crap, autotuned to death, with pretentious lyrics to boot. Just vile.

And it looks especially bad if you compare it to the classic Bond themes. I suppose the lyrics are genius compared to her recent stuff, but though "Sigmond Freud, analyze this" is quite clever it just makes me cringe.. "I'm gonna avoid the cliche". Argh! :scared:

As you can imagine I wasn't best pleased when it came on for a mimefest in the RIT.

So overrated! What I want to know is what's so great about it and why so many of you love it? I don't get the appeal at all. :vanitybonet: The video is good though. :boring:

I was debating on whether or not new tracks should be added, it is a "greatest hits" collection, whats the point of adding new stuff then. But then there is the issue of doing it for the fans and the sake of sales. If there werent any new tracks, i would have included Drowned World/ Substitute For Love into the tracklist.

exactly... but I really think 1 new song would suffice... any new and promoted MADONNA song would be a hit... just look at TIC and JML... they overdid it with Rescue Me...

Guest Danny86
Ugh. Don't get me started on DAD or the American Life era! Probably my least favourite Madonna single, even though I know there's technically worse ones like "One More Chance". Tuneless, robotic, soulless pile of crap, autotuned to death, with pretentious lyrics to boot. Just vile.

And it looks especially bad if you compare it to the classic Bond themes. I suppose the lyrics are genius compared to her recent stuff, but though "Sigmond Freud, analyze this" is quite clever it just makes me cringe.. "I'm gonna avoid the cliche". Argh! :scared:

As you can imagine I wasn't best pleased when it came on for a mimefest in the RIT.

So overrated! What I want to know is what's so great about it and why so many of you love it? I don't get the appeal at all. :vanitybonet: The video is good though. :boring:

:lol: Guess you made it very clear so I understand now.

Personally, while it was never my favourite, I've always liked it and always thought it was catchy enough and the production was great with the strings and the electronic stuff mashed together like that.

The RIT version is horrible, her re-recorded vocals sound very nasal and the beats sounded so weak and watered down. The S&ST version is a bit of an improvement, though the fastened beat with the clapping sound might be kinda cheap...

• 2 months later...

*bump* in light of the following news!

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20266265,00.html

Calling all Madonna fans! The Queen of Pop is coming out with a long-awaited greatest hits collection this fall.

'We're hoping to have a greatest hits package come out in September," the singer's longtime publicist, Liz Rosenberg, tells PEOPLE. "We're all very excited about it."

With so many hit songs to choose from over her long career, the singer's manager, Guy Oseary, asked fans on Twitter Tuesday which tunes they think should be included. "Working on Madonna's greatest hits album," he wrote. "Any tracks that you think MUST be on?"

Still, the new album won't only feature songs her fans know and love. "Madonna does have plans to go into the studio to record a few new songs for this album," says Rosenberg.

The greatest hits album will be Madonna's last with Warner Records, with whom she sold more than 200 million albums. In October 2007, she ended her 27-year relationship with the label when she signed a reported $150 million deal with concert promoter Live Nation.

*happy tears*

• 2 months later...

So, my GH:

Disc 1

Holiday

Lucky Star

Borderline

Burning Up

Like A Virgin

Material Girl

Crazy For You

Dress You Up

Into The Groove

Live To Tell

Papa Don't Preach

Open Your Heart

La Isla Bonita

Who's That Girl

Like A Prayer

Express Yourself

Oh Father

Disc 2

Vogue

Justify My Love

This Used To Be My Playground

Erotica

Depper And Deeper

I'll Remember

Secret

Take A Bow

Human Nature

You'll See

You Must Love Me

Frozen

Ray Of Light

Drowned World

The Power Of Goodbye

Beautiful Stranger

American Pie

Disc 3

Music

Don't Tell Me

Die Another Day

American Life

Hollywood

Hung Up

Sorry

Get Together

Everybody (Stuart Price Remix)

4 Minutes

Give It 2 Me

Miles Away

* new song

* new song

* new song

So, my GH:

Disc 1

Holiday

Lucky Star

Borderline

Burning Up

Like A Virgin

Material Girl

Crazy For You

Dress You Up

Into The Groove

Live To Tell

Papa Don't Preach

Open Your Heart

La Isla Bonita

Who's That Girl

Like A Prayer

Express Yourself

Oh Father

Disc 2

Vogue

Justify My Love

Erotica

Depper And Deeper

I'll Remember

Secret

Take A Bow

Human Nature

You'll See

You Must Love Me

Frozen

Ray Of Light

Drowned World

The Power Of Goodbye

Beautiful Stranger

American Pie

Disc 3

Music

Don't Tell Me

Die Another Day

American Life

Hollywood

Hung Up

Sorry

Get Together

Everybody (Stuart Price Remix)

4 Minutes

Give It 2 Me

Miles Away

* new song

* new song

* new song

It's easy to put a 3 disc track list together, where you can include almost everything. Try a 2 disc. There will be no 3 disc set released. I will post mine later.

These are the songs that I feel "have" to be there. Still having trouble working this into a 2 CD track listing with room for new songs.

Holiday

Borderline

Lucky Star

Like A Virgin

Material Girl

Crazy For You

Angel

Into The Groove

Dress You Up

Live To Tell

Papa Don't Preach

True Blue

Open Your Heart

La Isla Bonita

Who's That Girl

Causing A Commotion

Like A Prayer

Express Yourself

Cherish

Vogue

Justify My Love

Erotica

Deeper And Deeper

I'll Remember

Secret

Take A Bow

You'll See

Frozen

Ray Of Light

Beautiful Stranger

Music

Don't Tell Me

Die Another Day

Hung Up

Sorry

4 Minutes

Everybody, Rain, Bedtime Story, Humana Nature, Don't Cry For Me Argentina, Power of Goodbye, American Pie, and American Pie should be included

It's easy to put a 3 disc track list together, where you can include almost everything. Try a 2 disc. There will be no 3 disc set released. I will post mine later.

id prefer a 3 disc set

I said it's MY GH :thumbsup:

The should release a 3 disc set.

I know it wasn't a hit but I can't c a reason not 2 include the first single ever by the biggest female artist of all time..that in itself has enough cultural resonance..2 hear where it all began..is a must in any career retrospective..therefore I say include 'Everybody'..

Here is my track list. To avoid that the first disc is the same as TIC I did include big hits from that era that were not on TIC. I also put the approx. running time of each song on my list, just to see how it fits on a 80 minute disc. Many times I used the 7" versions or the radio edit.

Disc 1 (Running Time 80 minutes)

01. Holiday 4:15

02. Lucky Star 4:00

03. Borderline 4.00

04. Like A Virgin 3.45

05. Material Girl 4:00

06. Crazy For You 3:45

07. Into The Groove 3:45

08. Dress You Up 4:00

09. Live To Tell 4:45

10. Papa Don't Preach 4:00

11. True Blue 4:30

12. Open Your Heart 4:00

13. La Isla Bonita 4:00

14. Who's That Girl 4:00

15. Like A Prayer 5:15

16. Express Yourself 4:30

17. Cherish 4:00

18. Vogue 4:30

19. Justify My Love 5:00

Disc 2 ( running time without new songs 67 minutes)

01. Erotica 4:30

02. Deeper And Deeper 4:45

03. Secret 4:30

04. Take A Bow 4:30

05. You'll See 4:45

06. Frozen 5:00

07. Ray Of Light 4:30

08. The Power Of Goodbye 4:15

09. Beautiful Stranger 4:00

10. Music 3:45

11. Don't Tell Me 4:30

12. Die Another Day 4:30

13. Hung Up 5:30

14. Sorry 4:00

15. 4 Minutes 4:00

16. new song

17. new song

18. new song

It's a shame that there is no room for :

Causing A Commotion

Rain

I'll Remember

DCFMA

American Pie

and one more HC single.

I keep noticing GH threads popping up recently, and instead of creating my own, id rather just post it in here. so i hope you dont mind mattress.

Anyways, for about 2 years now, i have been creating my own Madonna career spanning retrospective collection.

The whole project would be titled "Madonna - 25 Years"

It would include, not only disc(s) for her "greatest hits" but also a disc on b-sides, rareties, unreleased recording, a compilation disc of live recordings, and a compilation disc of remixes throughout the years.

I was planning on releasing this collection with covers and everything in HQ to the public for download, but due to personal issues and busy schedules, i havent had the time to come around and complete everything.

Im only going to discuss the greatest hits disc.

Here is the cover i came up with by the way:

covertf7.png

In my opinion, a single disc compilation does not do justice, neither can a 2 disc set. I think were better off going with 3 discs.

This way you can not only fit more songs into the collection, but also refrain from using edited down tracks.

Speaking of edits, i think the collection should start fresh and new. What im talking about is using new edits, not only edits (editing down) but also alternate versions of tracks, remixes, maybe even extended versions. I think its very bland and boring to just throw on already released radio edits and album version. Us fans already have those on our computers and in our CD collections. Give us something new.

And for the project, thats what i did, i made some of my own edits, with different intro's and endings, i even used some of TheRain1981's edits too (which are fabulous by the way) Unfortunatly, its too hard to discuss how each song is edited in tracklist, so ill do my best for the tracklist descriptions.

Also i added in something extra into the collection, inbetween tracks, i would throw in a small excerpt from an interview. I think the idea is neat-o. But it's cooler if you were to hear it. (For Example: Before Everybody, would use small excerpt from American Bandstand interview with Dick Clark. Before Dress You Up, there would be the audio of Madonna speaking from the begining of the Virgin Tour VHS, etc... etc.....)

The tracklist. When everyone puts these collections together and make their own, they go for only her #1 hits. Wrong-o. I did not go with that. Instead, i based the collection on whats important from Madonna's catalog. Songs, that when you think of Madonna's name or image, you think of right from the top of your head. It's a career retrospective, i didnt want to leave anything out.

Disc 1

1) Everybody

YCD remix.

2) Holiday

3) Lucky Star

Edit of video remix.

4) Borderline

5) Dress You Up

6) Like a Virgin

Album version.

7) Material Girl

Just like LAV, it needs to be the album version, no remix. Nothing like The Immaculate Collection

8) Into The Groove

Original album version. No Piano.

9) Crazy For You

10) Live To Tell

11) Papa Don't Preach

12) Open Your Heart

Edit of the remix. I feel the remix is much much much stronger than the original album mix.

13) La Isla Bonita

14) Who's That Girl

15) Like a Prayer

Im not big on the edits and 7" versions with or without fades. I much prefer the album mix. It begins and ends perfectly. However, i did come across this remastered version that uses the ending from one of the remixes (the name has slipped my mind) and it ends beautifully, though it brings the track to around 6 minutes.

16) Express Yourself

I wasnt exactly sure which mix to go with. It's either the video mix using the 7" remix or the longer video mix using the Shep remix.

17) Cherish

Video version.

Disc 2

1) Vogue

2) Justify My Love

Q-sound edit. I think this version is composed better than the album version. There's more moans and such in this edit.

3) Erotica

5) Deeper and Deeper

6) Fever

Edit one, aka the video mix.

7) Rain

8) This Used To Be My Playground

Video version, it's not to long, and not to short.

9) I'll Remember

Orbit's Alternative Mix

10) Secret

DWT mix.

11) Human Nature

Album version, no editing, but uses the video ending rather than a fade.

12) Bedtime Story

Video version.

13) Take a Bow

14) You'll See

15) Don't Cry For Me Argentina

Miami mix.

16) You Must Love Me

Disc 3

1) Frozen

Album version.

2) Ray of Light

Extended demo.

3) Power of Goodbye

4) Beautiful Stranger

5) American Pie

6) Music

DWT tour version.

7) Don't Tell Me

8) What It Feels Like for a Girl

9) Die Another Day

10) American Life

No rap version.

11) Hung Up

12) Sorry

13) Jump

14) 4 Minutes

Album version. The radio version cuts out the begining and ending, which are fantastic parts of the song, and also, its not even 4 minutes which alot of DJ's complained about.

15) Give It 2 Me

16) New Song

17) New Song

That's such a good tracklist! I bet they're not gonna do a 3 disc thing, though, but that's a great wishlist. And I love that cover.

The only thing is, I hope they include all of the songs in non-remixed form. It's a shame that Madonna doesn't have a proper GH of her entire career, because they messed up The Immaculate Collection with all of the remixing.

Guest Eternal Flame

It will have to be 2 discs for the casual buyers... perhaps a bonus disc with rarities/remixes for the fanz.

My picks:

1. Holiday

2. Lucky Star

3. Like a Virgin

4. Material Girl

5. Crazy for You

6. Into the Groove

7. Live to Tell

8. Papa Don't Preach

9. Open Your Heart

10. La Isla Bonita

11. Who's That Girl