SERIOUS DISCUSSION regarding the forthcoming Madonna compilation release.

Mattress

Guest Spotlight

If we're sticking to the essentials, here's my picks:

Holiday

Lucky Star

Borderline

Like A Virgin

Material Girl

Into The Groove

Live To Tell

Papa Don't Preach

La Isla Bonita

Like A Prayer

Vogue

Justify My Love

Erotica

Take a Bow

Human Nature

Frozen

Ray of Light

Music

Die Another Day

Hollywood

Hung Up

Sorry

Jump

4 Minutes

All remastered, of course. I can't believe how many people didn't put Hollywood on their list. :thumbsdown:

My only worry about this whole greatest hits cd is that Warner will do a one cd fits all release.

The cd needs to be at least a double cd. Possibly with an extra bonus cd with more songs.

The USA needs a different one to the UK/Europe. I mean I'll remember was huge in the US but not as big as Beautiful Stranger was in Europe and the UK.

I also think we need at least 1 new or unheard song. This would be nice for fans and give Warner something to push to radio at least.

I'm from the UK and I would like this tracklisting - 2 17 track cd's

CD1

Holiday

Borderline

Like a Virgin

Material Girl

Crazy For You

Into The groove

Dress You Up

Papa Don't Preach

Live to tell

La Isla Bonita

True Blue

Who's That Girl

Like A Prayer

Express Yourself

Vogue

Justify My Love

This Used to be my Playground

CD2

Erotica

Secret

You'll See

Don't cry for me Argentina

Frozen

Ray Of Light

Beautiful Strranger

Music

Don't Tell Me

Die Another day

American Life

Hung Up

Sorry

4 Minutes

Give it to me

New song

These DEFINITELY need to be on there

HOLIDAY 3:50 (EDIT)

BORDERLINE 3:58 (EDIT)

LUCKY STAR 3:44 (EDIT)

LIKE A VIRGIN 3:35

MATERIAL GIRL 3:56

CRAZY FOR YOU 4:08 (EDIT)

INTO THE GROOVE 4:40

DRESS YOU UP 3:58

LIVE TO TELL 4:37 (EDIT)

PAPA DON'T PREACH 4:27

OPEN YOUR HEART 4:12

LA ISLA BONITA 4:01

LIKE A PRAYER 5:19 (7” VERSION)

EXPRESS YOURSELF 4:30 (7” REMIX)

CHERISH 4:03 (FADE)

VOGUE 4:19 (SINGLE VERSION)

JUSTIFY MY LOVE 4:58

THIS USED TO BE MY PLAYGROUND 4:53 (SINGLE VERSION)

These MAYBE should be there

ANGEL 3:40 (EDIT)

TRUE BLUE 4:16

WHO'S THAT GIRL 3:58

CAUSING A COMMOTION 4:00 (SILVER SCREEN SINGLE MIX)

OH FATHER 4:26 (EDIT)

These are DEBATABLE

EVERYBODY 3:58 (EDIT)

BURNING UP 3:50 (EDIT)

These definitely SHOULDN’T be on it

PHYSICAL ATTRACTION 3:53 (EDIT)

GAMBLER 3:54

THE LOOK OF LOVE 4:03

SPOTLIGHT 4:32 (SINGLE EDIT)

WHERE'S THE PARTY 4:13 (SINGLE EDIT)

DEAR JESSIE 4:24 (SINGLE VERSION)

KEEP IT TOGETHER 4:31 (SINGLE REMIX)

HANKY PANKY 3:57

RESCUE ME 4:53 (SINGLE MIX)

Everybody and Burning Up weren't hits, but are still classic quintessential Madonna and set the template for what was to come.

True Blue and Who's That Girl were quite big omissions from TIC, but they did already have soundalike counterparts, as did Commotion (is the Silver Screen mix really better?! I never thought so). I love Angel, but it's not as memorable as Dress You Up which was THE omission from TIC and which is really quite unique amongst her early hits.

Oh Father wasn't a huge hit, but it would give the disc more breadth and display her serious side which mostly went unnoticed in the 80s amongst her mostly disco hits.

The last category is mostly very minor/local/promo singles. In the case of Hanky Panky, a rather silly novelty one and Rescue Me, another variation on Vogue and hardly as classic as Justify which became an instant classic for a tacked on Greatest Hits song and was a forward thinking track that ushered in 90s Madonna.

As for your edits selected, I absolutely agree it NEEDS to be those original single versions which totally ruined TIC. I'd maybe go even further though - what about the video version of "Into The Groove"? That cuts a minute off it and isn't noticeably worse, I don't think.

In the case of "Cherish", the actual edit they used was horrendous, cutting the best part, the "gimme faith, gimme joy, my boy" breakdown, they should also use the video version of that, the album version is too flabby.

Then of course, there's Holiday and Lucky Star. What do you think the chances are of them doing newly edited 2009 mixes, like they did on some of the old Michael Jackson hits? :electropop: Someone really should fix that choppy "it would be so nice/tion" bit from "nation". Not to mention restoring the lovely warm intro from the album version.

• 3 weeks later...

And here is part two...all of the post-Sire singles released in the U.S. and U.K., plus a brief explaination of the selected mixes. This era relies more heavily on DJ edits.

Remember, ladies:

madonnacan.png

Era two: Maverick and Warner Bros. releases

EROTICA 4:24 (RADIO EDIT)
U.S. Commercial: The "Erotica" album version. "Radio Edit" (aka, Album Edit) --issued promotionally and on the CD maxi single-- was the airplay hit.
U.K. Commercial: Radio Edit (aka, Album Edit), a simple edit of the "Erotica" album version. This version appears on GHV2.

DEEPER AND DEEPER 4:51 (ALBUM EDIT)
"Album Edit" is a misnomer as the song --in addition to being edited-- was entirely remixed by Shep Pettibone for single release. This version appears on GHV2.

BAD GIRL 4:37 (EDIT)
An edit of the "Erotica" album version, with a short "rattling" percussive overdub mixed in to mask an edit point just before the fade of the song.

FEVER 4:03 (EDIT ONE)
U.S. Commercial: The "Erotica" album version (double a-side with "Bad Girl"), Edit One (video release)
U.K. Commercial: Album Edit, an edit of the "Erotica" album version
To coincide with the single release in the U.K., a montage video was put into rotation.
A few months later, MTV U.S. premiered a proper music video set to Daniel Abraham's "Edit One" remix.

RAIN 4:36 (RADIO REMIX)
U.S. Commercial: Radio Remix, a shortened version completely remixed by Daniel Abraham. Features only one channel of spoken dialogue after the bridge, and an alternate vocal at the songs conclusion "stand out on the mountain top..." (NOTE: during Girlie Show performances, in addition to using this arrangement, Madonna also sings both the album and single version lyrics at the end)
U.K. Commercial: Remix/Edit. The same arrangement as the Radio Remix, with an even shorter, crossfaded intro and the spoken dialogue is entirely is removed leaving a shortened, instrumental segment.

U.S. promotional CD features both versions, as well as the LP Edit, a simple edit of the "Erotica" album version that matches the structure and length of the Radio Remix, and is the version used for the music video.

I'LL REMEMBER 4:19 THEME FROM WITH HONORS
The "With Honors" soundtrack version. FIrst appearance on a Madonna album was Something To Remember.

SECRET 4:24 (EDIT)
An early fade of the "Bedtime Stories" album version. This version appears on GHV2.

TAKE A BOW 4:31 (EDIT)
Simple edit of the "Bedtime Stories" album version. This version appears on GHV2.

BEDTIME STORY 4:08 (ALBUM EDIT)
Simple edit of the "Bedtime Stories" album version. This version appears on GHV2.

HUMAN NATURE 4:30 (VIDEO VERSION)
Commercial singles in the U.S. feature the "Radio Version" (found on GHV2) which loops the first half of the chorus over the second to censor the line "I'm not your bitch don't hang your shit on me." Due to the excessive and ironic censorship ("wouldn't let me say the words I longed to say" indeed) opting for the alternate, promotionally released "Video Version" complete with door slams over the word "shit" and the cold "Absolutely no regrets" spoken ending makes for a better inclusion. UK singles feature "Radio Edit", an edit of Danny Tenaglia's "Human Club Mix" house arrangement.

I WANT YOU 6:23 WITH MASSIVE ATTACK
A video-only release from the "Inner City Blues" Marvin Gaye tribute. Also appears on "Something To Remember".

YOU'LL SEE 4:18 (EDIT)
A simple edit of the "Something To Remember" album version. U.S. commercial singles feature the "Something To Remember" album version.

ONE MORE CHANCE 4:18 (EDIT)
An early fade of the "Something To Remember" album version released promotionally in the UK. Commercial singles feature the "Something To Remember" album version. Not issued in the U.S..

LOVE DON'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE 4:44 (SOULPOWER RADIO REMIX)
A remix of the 1984 recording, originally from "Like A Virgin," released here to promote the ballads compilation "Something To Remember".

YOU MUST LOVE ME 3:07 (SINGLE VERSION)
A specially mixed version extended by an instrumental intro.

DON'T CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA 4:29 (MIAMI MIX EDIT)
In the U.S., the "Miami Mix Edit", a rerecorded dance version of the Evita ballad was unquestionably the hit version, and is the only commercially released version. U.S. promotional CDs featured a "Radio Edit" of the original "Evita" soundtrack ballad version, and it is this version found on GHV2.

In the U.K. the original "Evita" soundtrack ballad version was the commercial single release.

ANOTHER SUITCASE IN ANOTHER HALL 4:18
The "Evita" sountrack version. Not issued in the U.S. (promo CD quickly withdrawn).

BUENOS AIRES 4:09 (TE AMO RADIO VERSION)
Issued promotionally to both radio and clubs in the summer of 1997, this is a heavily remixed version featuring additional backing vocals by Nikki Harris and Donna DeLory. Unlike "DCFMA," Madonna's vocals were not rerecorded.

FROZEN 5:09 (RADIO EDIT)
Simple edit of the "Ray Of Light" album version. This version appears on GHV2. U.S. and U.K. commercial singles feature the "Ray Of Light" album version.

RAY OF LIGHT 4:35 (EDIT)
Simple edit of the "Ray Of Light" album version. This version appears on GHV2. U.S. and U.K. commercial singles feature the "Ray Of Light" album version.

DROWNED WORLD/SUBSTITUTE FOR LOVE 4:18 (RADIO EDIT)
The "Ray Of Light" album version edited at both the intro and ending, and abruptly faded to mask a transition into "Swim". This edit issued promotionally in the UK. Commercial singles feature the "Ray Of Light" album version with the same abrupt fade. (NOTE: While similar in length, the edited video version differs from the "Radio Edit" version.)

THE POWER OF GOOD-BYE 4:10
The "Ray Of Light" album version.

LITTLE STAR 4:18
UK-only double A-side release with "The Power Of Good-Bye". The "Ray Of Light" album version.

NOTHING REALLY MATTERS 3:45 (CLUB 69 RADIO MIX)
While the commercial single featured the "Ray Of Light" album version, most will agree that the few times radio touched this, they reached for the heavily promoted "Club 69 Radio Mix," a remixed version by Peter Rauhofer.

BEAUTIFUL STRANGER 3:58 (WILLIAM ORBIT RADIO EDIT)
"The Spy Who Shagged Me" soundtrack version faded early. This version appears on GHV2. Not issued commercially in the U.S., but a stateside single release all the same. U.K. commercial single feature "The Spy Who Shagged Me" soundtrack album version.

AMERICAN PIE 4:25
"The Next Best Thing" soundtrack version.

MUSIC 3:44
The "Music" album version.

DON'T TELL ME 4:10 (RADIO EDIT)
The "Music" album version edited to end cold on the final beat before the lengthy "strings" coda. U.S. commercial singles and GHV2 feature the "Music" album version.

WHAT IT FEELS LIKE FOR A GIRL 4:02 (RADIO EDIT)
Specially mixed with an edited, instrumental intro (losing the "Boys can wear jeans..." dialogue sample) and faded early. U.S. commercial singles and GHV2 feature the "Music" album version.

DIE ANOTHER DAY 3:30 (RADIO EDIT)
A specially mixed edit missing some spoken parts in the middle.

AMERICAN LIFE 4:27 (RADIO EDIT)
A simple edit of the "American Life" clean album version. "Radio Edit Without Rap" and "Oakenfold Downtempo Edit w/o Rap" were the more commonly heard airplay versions.

HOLLYWOOD 3:42 (RADIO EDIT)
The "American Life" album version faded early. And fast.

NOTHING FAILS 3:46 (RADIO EDIT)
A restructured edit of "American Life" album version. A chorus from the end of the album version was placed in between the first two verses.

LOVE PROFUSION 3:36
The "American Life" album version.

HUNG UP 3:20 (RADIO VERSION)
There are two different "Radio Version"'s. The two are identical until after the final chorus. As it fades, the U.K. "Radio Version" features additional singing ("Every little thing, every little thing, I'm hung up..."). The U.S. "Radio Version" instead goes instrumental. Both are subtly remixed by Stuart Price.

SORRY 3:59 (SINGLE EDIT)
"Single Edit" appears on all commercial singles. "Single Edit" (known promotionally as "Edit" and internationally as "Radio Version") is remixed by Stuart Price.

Second U.S. promo CD features the alternate (and better!!) "Radio Version" (not to be confused with the "Radio Version" heard on international CDs) that runs 3:37. This is a unique mix that loses the spoken intro, instead beginning a cappella with the Robodonna "I heard it all before". The middle of the song has only a few spoken lines and "forgive me" is placed later in the mix (as on the video version.)

GET TOGETHER 3:57 (RADIO EDIT)
"Confessions On A Dance Floor" album version AND "Radio Edit" appear on commercial singles. "Radio Edit" is specially mixed.

JUMP 3:32 (RADIO EDIT)
"Confessions On A Dance Floor" album version AND "Radio Edit" appear on commercial singles. "Radio Edit" is specially mixed missing spoken lines.

4 MINUTES 3:10 (EDIT) FEATURING JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE AND TIMBALAND
"Hard Candy" album version appears on commercial singles. Promo single releases (and U.S. 7" release) contain "Radio Edit", specially mixed.

GIVE IT 2 ME 4:02 (EDIT)
"Hard Candy" album version appears on commercial singles. Promo single releases (and U.S. 7" release) contain "Radio Edit", specially mixed.

MILES AWAY 4:02 (RADIO EDIT)
"Hard Candy" album version appears on commercial singles. Promo and Maxi single releases contain "Radio Edit", specially mixed.

I VEHEMENTLY OBJECT TO THIS VERSION....

Guest Danny86

"Album Edit" is a misnomer as the song --in addition to being edited-- was entirely remixed by Shep Pettibone for single release. This version appears on GHV2.

It was remixed? :shock: I always thought it was just the album version, missing a chorus and had a shortened Spanish guitar segment.

"Drowned World" goes into "Swim", not "Skin". ;)

I think the edits of "Frozen", "Ray Of Light", "Hung Up", "Get Together" & "4 Minutes" are the worst. :thumbsdown:

QUOTE (Danny86 @ Jan 8 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was remixed? shock.gif I always thought it was just the album version, missing a chorus and had a shortened Spanish guitar segment.

"Drowned World" goes into "Swim", not "Skin". wink2.gif

"Deeper And Deeper" is like "Express Yourself," "Like A Prayer," "Causing A Commotion," etc. in that the single version is based on the original arrangement but was rebuilt and polished for single release. The most noticeable new elements are those loud..."Mortal Kombat"-ish bursts during the bridge (before "Someone said that romance was dead" and "This feeling inside...").

The "Instrumental" found on the b-side (and mislabeled on UK copies of "Bad Girl" as "Shep's Deepstrumental") is actually of this remixed version, but it runs the full length of the album version. An unedited version of the vocal remix was never released.

And it was late. I so meant "Swim". shy.gif

Guest dicktracy

How about this?

I came up with some rules to be 'democratic' with this tracklist. First, all proper albums MUST be represented and must have at least 2 singles listed. Second, at least one single from each of her soundtrack contributions must be present (that is to fully represent all her stages). Lastly, no singles used to promote previous compilations can be used in order to maintain their 'value' to non-fans (that would include songs like Spotlight, JML, Rescue Me, You'll See, OMC, and LDLHA).

With that in mind, this is what comes out:

DISC ONE:

1. Holiday

2. Lucky Star

3. Like A Virgin

4. Material Girl

5. Crazy For You

6. Into The Groove

7. Dress You Up

8. Live To Tell*

9. Papa Don't Preach

10. True Blue

11. Open Your Heart

12. La Isla Bonita

13. Who's That Girl

14. Causing A Commotion

15. Like A Prayer

16. Express Yourself

17. Vogue

18. This Used To Be My Playground

DISC TWO:

1. Erotica

2. Deeper and Deeper

3. I'll Remember

4. Secret

5. Take A Bow

6. You Must Love Me

7. Frozen

8. Ray Of Light

9. Beautiful Stranger

10. American Pie*

11. Music

12. Don't Tell Me

13. Die Another Day*

14. American Life

15. Hung Up

16. Sorry

17. 4 Minutes

18. Give It To Me

*These songs were in a soundtrack previous to the release of their respective albums. American Pie was excluded from the US version of Music.

There are 13 songs that aren't in TIC and GHV2. Some people will object to not having Borderline or Cherish. I omitted these in order to introduce Dress You Up and Causing a Commotion. If I had to ommit CAC I would reinstate Borderline. P.S.: All her UK/US #1's are represented with the exception of Justify My Love for the reasons mentioned above.

Guest Danny86
"Deeper And Deeper" is like "Express Yourself," "Like A Prayer," "Causing A Commotion," etc. in that the single version is based on the original arrangement but was rebuilt and polished for single release. The most noticeable new elements are those loud..."Mortal Kobat"-ish bursts during the bridge (before "Someone said that romance was dead" and "This feeling inside...").

The "Instrumental" found on the b-side (and mislabeled on UK copies of "Bad Girl" as "Shep's Deepstrumental") is actually of this remixed version, but it runs the full length of the album version. An unedited version of the vocal remix was never released.

Thanx for the info! :thumbsup:

Mattress, to go back to part 1 for a moment, I agree with you that the single mix of LAP is brilliant and just about definitive, but I really miss that extended intro from the album version - it feels so chopped off!

I hope they do new edits on these and use the single mix of LAP but edit in the intro that's on the album version. :lol: Dreaming, I know.

I wish we could email madonna.com and tell them what to do! It would be nice if Warners asked for fan input, but I have a horrible feeling this will be another carelessly thrown together botched disaster. :cries:

QUOTE (loomer @ Jan 8 2009, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mattress, to go back to part 1 for a moment, I agree with you that the single mix of LAP is brilliant and just about definitive, but I really miss that extended intro from the album version - it feels so chopped off!

I hope they do new edits on these and use the single mix of LAP but edit in the intro that's on the album version. lol.gif Dreaming, I know.

lol.gif I know what you mean, but I'm used to it and the rest of the mix is such an improvement that they could have put Otto Von Wernherr proclaiming that his pussy has nine lives on the intro and I'd accept it. The guitar isn't chopped... what you hear on the single version is the dry guitar line. On the album mix they play that same line backwards (with reversed echo) then forward.

I'm not keen on the idea of new edits. Later for those (cut to an offended Loudon Trott). I want the real single masters made available and preserved.

QUOTE (loomer @ Jan 8 2009, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish we could email madonna.com and tell them what to do! It would be nice if Warners asked for fan input, but I have a horrible feeling this will be another carelessly thrown together botched disaster. :cries:

madonnacan.png

They can email my ass (lol). I'll make sure it's done right. hurt.gif

The guitar isn't chopped... what you hear on the single version is the dry guitar line. On the album mix they play that same line backwards (with reversed echo) then forward.

Ah, of course. Love that bit of echo! Spook-tastic. :wow:

These DEFINITELY need to be there

EROTICA 4:24 (RADIO EDIT)

SECRET 4:24 (EDIT)

TAKE A BOW 4:31 (EDIT)

YOU'LL SEE 4:18 (EDIT)

FROZEN 5:09 (RADIO EDIT)

RAY OF LIGHT 4:35 (EDIT)

BEAUTIFUL STRANGER 3:58 (WILLIAM ORBIT RADIO EDIT)

MUSIC 3:44

DON'T TELL ME 4:10 (RADIO EDIT)

HUNG UP 3:20 (RADIO VERSION)

These MAYBE should be there

BAD GIRL 4:37 (EDIT)

RAIN 4:36 (RADIO REMIX)

I'LL REMEMBER 4:19 THEME FROM WITH HONORS

DROWNED WORLD/SUBSTITUTE FOR LOVE 4:18 (RADIO EDIT)

THE POWER OF GOOD-BYE 4:10

WHAT IT FEELS LIKE FOR A GIRL 4:02 (RADIO EDIT)

SORRY 3:59 (SINGLE EDIT)

GET TOGETHER 3:57 (RADIO EDIT)

JUMP 3:32 (RADIO EDIT)

GIVE IT 2 ME 4:02 (EDIT)

These are DEBATABLE

FEVER 4:03 (EDIT ONE)

BEDTIME STORY 4:08 (ALBUM EDIT)

HUMAN NATURE 4:30 (VIDEO VERSION)

YOU MUST LOVE ME 3:07 (SINGLE VERSION)

DON'T CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA 4:29 (MIAMI MIX EDIT)

NOTHING REALLY MATTERS 3:45 (CLUB 69 RADIO MIX)

AMERICAN PIE 4:25

DIE ANOTHER DAY 3:30 (RADIO EDIT)

AMERICAN LIFE 4:27 (RADIO EDIT)

HOLLYWOOD 3:42 (RADIO EDIT)

LOVE PROFUSION 3:36

These definitely SHOULDN'T be there

I WANT YOU 6:23 WITH MASSIVE ATTACK

ONE MORE CHANCE 4:18 (EDIT)

LOVE DON'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE 4:44 (SOULPOWER RADIO REMIX)

ANOTHER SUITCASE IN ANOTHER HALL 4:18

BUENOS AIRES 4:09 (TE AMO RADIO VERSION)

LITTLE STAR 4:18

NOTHING FAILS 3:46 (RADIO EDIT)

MILES AWAY 4:02 (RADIO EDIT)

Ray of Light really shouldn't be the dreadful butchered radio mix, I was annoyed enough it was on GHV2, I don't recall it being played. The edit of Don't Tell Me would be great though.

I love Bad Girl but it wasn't a very big hit sadly. I'm also not sure if "Rain" is essential, I'd probably put it on there but only in the album edit, that radio mix is horrendous and her worst ever. I'd say Drowned World was essential, but it wasn't a US single.. then again, it still made GHV2.

I'd really rather not have any of the Evita shit or American Pie which is the one number one that could go, no covers preferably. The Club 69 radio mix of NRM is fucking awful, it has to be the original if that's on there. As much as I loathe Die Another Day, I suppose it does deserve to be there technically. :tongue:

But I think otherwise the American Life singles can be skipped altogether. That disaster is better written out of history - no real hits to justify putting them on either.