Australian promotor explains why Madonna didn't happen

Guest boytoyville

Guest boytoyville

here's some more info from http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...012980,00.html

PROMOTERS have scrapped Australian tour plans for superstars Madonna, Neil Diamond and Paul McCartney because of the weak dollar.

Madonna had agreed to multiple dates in Sydney and Melbourne in late January, and was holding talks about possible gigs in Brisbane and Perth, with tickets expected to go on sale two weeks ago with a top ticket price of $400.

"It got as close as anything ever gets," a tour industry source said. "Madonna was coming to Australia, the dates were resolved but then the economics got in the way."

The revelations follow a growing list of postponed tour plans by the world's biggest superstars.

Concert industry sources say Diamond, McCartney, The Eagles, Green Day and Metallica have put visits on hold because of the bad economy.

"It's unknown territory at the moment," said promoter Michael Chugg. "A lot of tours went on sale before the dollar crashed.

"We are only starting to see the effect of the economy on the tour industry."

Mr Coppel said the weak dollar had made promoters and touring superstars cautious. "The risk level has gone up substantially for US-based acts because our dollar is 35 per cent down from where it was three months ago.

"A lot of us have been caught out on deals that don't make any sense. You can sell out a tour and still lose a seven-figure sum."

But there are exceptions.

Promoter Michael Coppel is touring US singer Pink, who has broken box office records, including an 11-night stand in Melbourne. She will be in Brisbane in July. Mr Chugg, touring Coldplay in March, says the right acts always will do well. But Mr Coppel warns the weak dollar and exchange rate will push ticket prices up.

While some superstars adopt a wait-and-see approach on the economy, top line acts AC/DC and Tina Turner are set to include Australia in their world tour plans.

Guest jamesshot

So does this mean the tour will not be extended? Or just not into Australia?

I wonder where she would play, aside from Japan, if she extended this tour? Japan would make sense since MA was a huge hit there. Hmmm

Guest FrozenLight

They should have added Australia and Japan back in May before the economy crash and they would have the $$ in their pockets already...oh well, next time maybe

They should have added Australia and Japan back in May before the economy crash and they would have the $$ in their pockets already...oh well, next time maybe

Exactly. Australia was taken out early in the piece when the tour was being put together over 6 months ago. I knew Madonna wouldn't come no huge surprise here. And strangely im not disappointed. Maybe it's because I haven't been blown away by what of seen of this tour so far.

This is exactly what I heard from a close friend with very close contacts a couple of weeks ago. According to him, they were about to sign when the economy crashed and the promoter would have to have put up the prices considerably just to break even (hence the promoter's comment about losing six-figure sums on hugely successful tours). Let's say the agreed figure for top tickets was set at $USD365 (the price of a top ticket in the US). Back in July, this would have been about $AUD370 (making the $400 figure quoted above more than reasonable, especially considering the $AUD200 price tag of Gold Circle tickets back in 1993). Last month, that same price was the equivalent of around $AUD600. As of today, it's worth around $AUD570. Madonna generally has a set fee per show and no doubt a percentage of the box office, so at some stage, the promoters would have realised that they either had to raise ticket prices or convince Madonna to lower her fee if the tour was going to be as profitable as they had projected.

Before anyone argues that Madonna should lower her fee so that the promoters will bring her to Australia, would you be agreeable if your boss came to you and said, "Things are really tight, are you happy to work for much less money than we've agreed to pay you?"

Thanks for posting the article, boytoyville! Madonna will still be trashed over it (greedy bitch, blah blah blah), but at least she can't be accused of ignoring Australia now and this explains why Molly Meldum got up and announced that a tour was imminent.

I think we have a 0.1% chance of Madonna returning to Australia ever

She was nearly coming here - closer than she's been since 1993. The article confirms this. Dates were confirmed, tickets were set to go on sale. If you want to read that as indicating that there's a 0.1% chance of them actually making it happen sometime in the next decade, then that's fine :thumbsup:

She should launch her tour in Australia next time.

It would depend when the tour started. If it's a May starting date, a la Confessions, then it would never work because it's too cold for outdoor shows. August is way too cold, too. September would be about the earliest they could make it work. When I say cold, obviously it's not as cold as a European or American winter, but the southern states can get down to under 10 degrees by 9pm (or even maximum 10 degrees during the day sometimes).

P!NK is still touring there. I know her show is less complex so that may be a factor.

I think Madonna should kick off a tour in Australia and basically play that territory to death - like 20 stadium shows or something.

Rumour is she was going to include Australia, Japan (Jan) and 2 other dates in Mexico (Feb) by 2009 but when the Oz section was scrapped, the whole deal went off.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: at Australia's "economy". Does it have even one? :lmao: :lmao: at the Australian "dollar"

FLOP country.

Funny, aren't we?! :nocomment:

In July, the Australian dollar was worth 98.5 US cents. Any comments about that? We have a commodities based economy, so when the global financial crisis broke, people stopped trading commodities and so our dollar was weakened.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: at Australia's "economy". Does it have even one? :lmao: :lmao: at the Australian "dollar"

FLOP country.

Ignorant and idiotic ass. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: ...Just to enlighten you, the Aussie dollar is the 6th most traded currency in the world and our economy is considered the most resilient in the world :vanitybonet: We've also been performing better than other economies of the OECD (and with growth) for 16 consecutive years. :dramatic:

Funny, aren't we?! :nocomment:

In July, the Australian dollar was worth 98.5 US cents. Any comments about that? We have a commodities based economy, so when the global financial crisis broke, people stopped trading commodities and so our dollar was weakened.

What a flop currency. :demonic:

She was nearly coming here - closer than she's been since 1993. The article confirms this. Dates were confirmed, tickets were set to go on sale. If you want to read that as indicating that there's a 0.1% chance of them actually making it happen sometime in the next decade, then that's fine :thumbsup:

Im just being realisitc. Madonna did choose Sth America over us in May when the tour was being put together we were taken out early in piece according to promoters. Don't get me wrong Im incredibly happy for people in Sth America but Madonna has had the opportunity to tour here plenty of times but decided not to. Obviously she ain't going to tour here unless shes paid a lot of money.

Guest thehiltonsuite
Maybe it's for the best that the tour ends when it does so she could get back to her life and children. I'm sure she'll tour Australia next time since they were so close this time around.

No, I think she should go there wtih Sticky & Sweet. It's not fair.