Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

Guest jamesshot
source: absolute madonna sites.

Rumor : Madonna will announce second leg of Sticky & Sweet Tour early this year visiting Australia, Japan, Europe, Turkey and Israel. The tour will run from May - September 2009.

The show will have a few different costumes and a revised setlist including Dress You Up.

Madonna is currently in talks to play in Belgrade, Serbia in August 2009, confirmation is coming soon. Madonna’s crew have mentioned to fans in Brazil that they have been contracted to begin a second leg of the S&S tour in Australia in May 2009 and finishing in Israel in September 2009. Madonna will tour Australia, Japan, Different European cities to 2008 Sticky & Sweet Tour’s cities, Turkey and Israel. Confirmation for the dates will either by announced in Janaury or Febraury 2009 by Live Nation.

so if this true - her album HC continues....maybe another single from her album..

I just don't see this being true. Why would she continue with HC material through next fall? Doesn't make sense. If she did do this, she should( and would I think) likely add some US cities she never plays or hasn't played in a long time( Dallas, Portland, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Minneapolis).

I do believe she wants to keep touring as it keeps her in the headlines, makes her loads of cash, she loves performing, she ain't gettin any younger but continuing with SS tour through next fall is a move that would truly shock me.

will this turn out to be another "divorce" rumor? you know, the type of rumor that we don't believe from the start and turns out to be true...

if this turns out to be true, will this be considered MADONNA's 2nd tour with LN? it's still hard to believe though...

Guest Danny86
It will be interesting to see if it holds on as strongly as COADF has in the past 2 years or if it fades down to >100 a week as fast as American Life did.

I think it's more interesting if "4 Minutes" holds up in catalog downloads. Catalog CD sales will become meaningless in a few years anyway, and with only 1 hit single, I doubt HC will keep on selling.

Guest nothingfails0603
I think it's more interesting if "4 Minutes" holds up in catalog downloads. Catalog CD sales will become meaningless in a few years anyway, and with only 1 hit single, I doubt HC will keep on selling.

Stateside, Hung Up was really the only hit COADF had (granted, Sorry was a huge club/gay hit, but I mean mainstream) but the album still continued to sell respectable catalog numbers. I think HC could possibly have that type of shelf life. It's been stated many times that there's a huge difference between the fans who bought HC and the teens/JT fans who downloaded 4M, which was why there was such a discrepancy between 4M being a 2x platinum single and HC selling 700k after 8 months and a tour, two totally different sets of people.

Guest Danny86
Stateside, Hung Up was really the only hit COADF had (granted, Sorry was a huge club/gay hit, but I mean mainstream) but the album still continued to sell respectable catalog numbers. I think HC could possibly have that type of shelf life. It's been stated many times that there's a huge difference between the fans who bought HC and the teens/JT fans who downloaded 4M, which was why there was such a discrepancy between 4M being a 2x platinum single and HC selling 700k after 8 months and a tour, two totally different sets of people.

COADF had the benefit for being a "retro" album and the ABBA sample probably made the older (CD buying) crowd to check it out, and of course its initial sales were higher.

I don't think anything will make large or even decent numbers of people to check out the whole HC album in such sales climate... Even a possible broadcast won't do much at this point.

And it's also been said many times that the discrepancy between album and singles sales is a natural thing now, singles sold more than albums in 2008, it wasn't exactly about "Madonna fans being alienated". And of course, Madonna does not have 700,000 hardcore fans in the US, so there was a definite decent number of casual fans getting the album because of "4 Minutes" and the Sticky & Sweet Tour

Guest nothingfails0603
COADF had the benefit for being a "retro" album and the ABBA sample probably made the older (CD buying) crowd to check it out, and of course its initial sales were higher.

I don't think anything will make large or even decent numbers of people to check out the whole HC album in such sales climate... Even a possible broadcast won't do much at this point.

And it's also been said many times that the discrepancy between album and singles sales is a natural thing now, singles sold more than albums in 2008, it wasn't exactly about "Madonna fans being alienated". And of course, Madonna does not have 700,000 hardcore fans in the US, so there was a definite decent number of casual fans getting the album because of "4 Minutes" and the Sticky & Sweet Tour

I think album sales generally benefit older artists. Metallica and AC/DC both sold double what HC did without a 4M type of hit in half the time HC's been out, and they've both been around longer than Madonna. By working with Timbaland, Pharrell and Kanye, Madonna had to make the tradeoff between album sales and download sales. She turned off a lot of COADF fans who hate hip hop, but the hip hop fans who she was courting download off iTunes instead of buying a tangible product.

You can't use that internet has killed buying music for older artists when Metallica and AC/DC have both kicked Madonna's ass in sales without the benefit of airplay or a hit single/video or highly promoted tour, so what's their excuse?

Guest superman

yeah, yeah, yeah but still CODF is her most gay album ever!!! sooooo gay, lots of girlish songs...lol boring!!! i feel like a diva!!

Rumor : Madonna will announce second leg of Sticky & Sweet Tour early this year visiting Australia, Japan, Europe, Turkey and Israel. The tour will run from May - September 2009.

The show will have a few different costumes and a revised setlist including Dress You Up.

Madonna is currently in talks to play in Belgrade, Serbia in August 2009, confirmation is coming soon. Madonna’s crew have mentioned to fans in Brazil that they have been contracted to begin a second leg of the S&S tour in Australia in May 2009 and finishing in Israel in September 2009. Madonna will tour Australia, Japan, Different European cities to 2008 Sticky & Sweet Tour’s cities, Turkey and Israel. Confirmation for the dates will either by announced in Janaury or Febraury 2009 by Live Nation.

so if this true - her album HC continues....maybe another single from her album..

THAT WOULD BE SO GOOD!!!!!! New dates, maybe more shows in Europe, different songs, maybe another tour dvd...

Australia in MAY?

I seriously doubt she'll tour during winter.

Australia in MAY?

I seriously doubt she'll tour during winter.

why not? the rumors are she will play the acer area and the rod laver arena. both have roofs!

People, Madge ain't gonna be doing a second leg of a tour that's reported to be released on DVD in a couple of months- no matter how much Live Nation would love it.

And, 4M rebounded with the year-end countdowns and such (like other titles). U.S. non-dance stations as a whole wouldn't move on to MA if their radio license depended on it.

People, Madge ain't gonna be doing a second leg of a tour that's reported to be released on DVD in a couple of months- no matter how much Live Nation would love it.

i think we're in for a surprise!!!!

Guest Danny86

Of course it's not going to happen. The only real thing was Australia but it fell through as it was officially confirmed by promoters.

Also don't get why superman keeps posting non-chart stuff in the chart forum?

Guest nothingfails0603

one word: Cher

Farewell Tour DVD: August 2003

Last show of Farewell Tour: June 2005

Guest boytoyville

^ Yeah and there are a lot more examples of that. In fact sometimes the airing of shows or DVD releases in the middle of tours has been used to enhance sales for added additional legs.

What others do and what Madonna does are two very different scenarios, as we should know by now.

Anyhoo, HC could see a boost from the DVD release. Probably not enough of one to re-enter the BB 200, but odder stuff has happened.

It's not like it's not going to add sales to its total- it was at 699K before dropping off again, and it was still selling in the thousands- it may be close to dropping below 1K by now (already may have done so).