Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

What's the connection between LAP and HC's certs? I don't see it... :wacko:

Besides, it does no good to compare Hard Candy with previous albums. It's a whole new ball game now. Much more conservative.

yes, it´s a totally different game.

And what i was trying to say with LAP is that it sold 3 million copies, but ten years later it had a new certification, so i guess HC could have one too, if they remember to recertified ten years from now (as they did with BS too)

^ Sales were much higher in the 90s though, and some people will have replaced the vinyl records to CDs..... Aslo LAP is a magnificent album, with lots of classics and the support of the critics...

Unless BGO is released I doubt it will ever get platinum certification

I believe HC still stand a chance to surpass 750K based on the following reasons:

1. Thanksgiving

2. Grammy Nomination announcement (provided it gets > 3 nominations including those important categories)

3. Christmas

4. Grammy Awards Show (Provided that bitch performs)

HC shall R.I.P. after these.

Guest demitri
I'm sure WBR wouldn't even consider certifying HC platinum until the SS amount is over 900k, and that seems like so so far away...

For this reason, Miles Away should have been the title track :D

Oh well. If this were 10years ago, looking at it in retrospect, HC would have sold probably about 1.5 to 1.8million in the US.

I think that HC can have some decent sales till the first quarter of next year of Madonna plays it all right

Plays what right? It's ovah in terms of any singles having any kind of impact. The album is hanging on as it is because of the tour.

A well-timed broadcast/DVD release also could help in terms of a sales boost (while it's still selling in the thousands).

Guest demitri
Plays what right? It's ovah in terms of any singles having any kind of impact. The album is hanging on as it is because of the tour.

A well-timed broadcast/DVD release also could help in terms of a sales boost (while it's still selling in the thousands).

Yeap, that's what I mean by playing it right. After the tour if there's a prompt broadcast/DVD of the show, perhaps some live performances at awards like the Grammys, some promotion, BGO released as a single and it gets some modest airplay etc. I'm sure these factors could keep the sales of HC alive for the next few months.

But then again, things usually dont go so sweet with Madonna's albums. We thought Madonna and Warner seem to have abandoned most of COAD's efforts in the US. HC's been mangled far worse! Fortunately it had a massive lead single but otherwise there was only the tour and some divorce news that directly or indirectly promoted the album.

Even if BGO was released, at this point, airplay would be little to nothing.

Yeah, they did it wrong with releases from the start. USA should have had BGO as follow up to 4 Minutes and not GI2M. At least they could have tried to save it by releasing BGO as third quickly when they saw GI2M didn't go anywhere.

The only hope would be that they release BGO and kinda promote it like it would be a 1st single all over. Since they didn't really promote anything up to now they could do that now... this is OFFCOURSE just in a dream world. Hopefully that dream will come true with the new record-label, everything must be better than how Warner has treated all projects this decade.

While I agree that BGO should have been the second single, I think we all need to recognize that barely any 2nd singles from well-established artists do well in airplay.

Most well-established artists only get one single per album these days.

define: "well-established artist"?

Someone who has been around for 20years or someone that is just "big"?

For instance Rihanna is big nowdays and have had several radio hits from her album, but maybe she's not "well-established"?

Also Mariah Carey with her Emancipation album had several radio hits. I guess we can call her well-established.

Gwen scored decent amount of radio hits with her LAMB album. After years with No Doubt, I guess she can be called well-established too.

I think the problem is the "brand" "Madonna". In the US that name seem to be linked with old-school 80's superstar and big shows and not really contemporary or the "it" thing. I think this is Madonna's major problem.

She doesn't have that problem in Europe really, at least not yet. She's still the "it" thing when it comes to being contemporary relevant. She's not just a legend from the past. Offcourse she has all of that added too, but in the US it seems that is what people see her as, a legend from the past.

Rihanna's first hit was 2005, so, she's very fresh.

Mimi's Emancipation was a comeback- plus, she appeals to urban and rhythmic far more than Madge. And, she was just 34-35 years old or so.

Madonna is a different story altogether. No matter that she's MADONNA, she has strikes against her in terms of trying to garner U.S. radio airplay.

I think the problem is the "brand" "Madonna". In the US that name seem to be linked with old-school 80's superstar and big shows and not really contemporary or the "it" thing. I think this is Madonna's major problem.

And when happened that? duting the 90´s that wasn´t happening...

Rihanna's first hit was 2005, so, she's very fresh.

Mimi's Emancipation was a comeback- plus, she appeals to urban and rhythmic far more than Madge. And, she was just 34-35 years old or so.

Madonna is a different story altogether. No matter that she's MADONNA, she has strikes against her in terms of trying to garner U.S. radio airplay.

you nailed it perfectly. :thumbsup:

Thanks- I try. :) Some wanna believe that at this stage of the game, Madge is gonna score some big-time U.S. airplay hit on her own. Very unlikely, barring a fluke release. And, it's even tougher for second singles and beyond, even if there are collaborators.

Guest Joey's Hung Up On Madonna

But what's cool is with songs like Hung Up (peaking at 42 on hot 100) no matter what the radio did it was still a smash due to Madge's number one selling factor: QUALITY.

Demitri, your miles away comment was hilarious but we all know Madge isn't going to do one bit of promotion. Hopefully she WILL go to Australia, as rumor has it.

No. 42 on Hot 100 Airplay, yah. It logged an OK 11 weeks on the chart, which was the same amount of time DADay spent on (despite peaking 27 spots higher).

I think there will be some level of interest in any lead/fresh single she puts out, but had 4M been Madonna alone, I suspect it wouldn't have gone as high as No. 11 on Hot 100 Airplay.

define: "well-established artist"?

Someone who has been around for 20years or someone that is just "big"?

For instance Rihanna is big nowdays and have had several radio hits from her album, but maybe she's not "well-established"?

Also Mariah Carey with her Emancipation album had several radio hits. I guess we can call her well-established.

Gwen scored decent amount of radio hits with her LAMB album. After years with No Doubt, I guess she can be called well-established too.

She doesn't have that problem in Europe really, at least not yet. She's still the "it" thing when it comes to being contemporary relevant. She's not just a legend from the past. Offcourse she has all of that added too, but in the US it seems that is what people see her as, a legend from the past.

Rihanna is still a new and "fresh" artist, like HG said. People are still discovering her.

The other two examples you gave (Gwen's "LAMB" from 2004 and Mariah's "Emancipation" from 2005) are from years ago. The music industry has changed DRASTICALLY since then.

There are always exceptions to every rule, however well-established artists (meaning they have been around for years and are household names) have a harder time these days getting airplay for multiple singles from one album.

These days, everyone knows when a well-established artist has a new album out. Everyone gets their album the week it is released, and then are over it a couple weeks later and on to the next thing. Attention spans these days are so short.

Newer acts and ones that aren't as well known have an easier time releasing multiple singles because people are still discovering them.

I think a lot of people in Madonna's category (meaning a legend) have a harder time at releasing multiple singles from one album.

Guest Joey's Hung Up On Madonna

NO DOUBT is well-established, I don't think Gwen is as a solo artist anymore, especially after the disaster of TSE. No Doubt is my favorite band and the world and Tom DUmont (the guitarist) just posted on the ND forum that there's a lot of wonderful things soon to happen in '09 ... How great is that?

But if Gwen tried a solo album again, I think it'd be disregarded; No Doubt's return is one of the most anticipated albums of the year.

Guest superman
NO DOUBT is well-established, I don't think Gwen is as a solo artist anymore, especially after the disaster of TSE. No Doubt is my favorite band and the world and Tom DUmont (the guitarist) just posted on the ND forum that there's a lot of wonderful things soon to happen in '09 ... How great is that?

But if Gwen tried a solo album again, I think it'd be disregarded; No Doubt's return is one of the most anticipated albums of the year.

I love your avatar.. is that the guys from Harry Potter? i wish they're gay. lol..

Guest hotstickyandsweet

^ SWEET!! Can't wait to here what sales are. I know each week it's gonna get pushed down because of holiday sales but wow at the tour stabilizing sales! Going to Miami show next week. Wonder if out of 50,000 people at least 2500 to 3000 who don't own the album will buy it. We as true fans know that most people are going for nostalgic reasons and don't own anything after say Like A Prayer lol... This album, albeit not her finest should have way more appeal to the crowds at her shows on this tour. Almost EVERY review has mentioned the stuff on this album has fared way better than her "reinventions" of the past live so maybe the real reason sales have pretty much picked up impressive at that is because people at the show who only know 4 minutes are impressed at the other 8 HC tracks and better late than never pushing the CD to that all so important 700,000 mark. Not impressive by her standards, but in todays climate you could challenge someone and say if this were say 2005 when COADF was released that HC would pretty much be at 1.5 million right now. One more thing Bigham....Why the hell would a cd out for like 7 months gain 11% and not be bulleted???? Could it be another Billboard magazine biased act against Madonna?? LOL. Please let us know asap what sales are!! You and Holiday Guy and really impress me on a daily basis with all of your knowledge about our Queen!