45 77 The Script The Man Who Can't Be Moved

46 55 Boyzone Better

47 53 Ne-Yo Closer

48 122 Ava Leigh La La La

49 315 Bruce Springsteen Working On A Dream

50 80 September Cry For You

Sales

Singles

104454 Alexandra Burke (total - 992,387, it'll be the first single in 2.5 years to pass the 1 million mark)

46454 Leona

40537 Lady GaGa

Albums

46958 Take That (total - 1,493,063).

43897 Kings Of Leon

31111 Duffy

30584 Leona

30306 Killers

28941 Girls Aloud (GHs)

Guest Danny86

MJ mystery solved:

Michael Jackson’s King Of Pop compilation deserves a mention for an impressive 55-20 leap despite a 5.5% dip in sales to 14,280. It is on sale at iTunes for just £3.95 and 78% of its sales (11,138) came via downloads, a record for a Top 20 album. It is the number one download, ahead of Kings Of Leon’s Only By The Night (8,383 sales)

will this overtake 4 mins? their sales are both very close.

It has, sam's total is now with Black & Gold 436,866, 4 minutes is at about 430,000 x

Les Mids de la Week - Jan 06

It's a Kingsoflionfest! Album returns to #1 and they have 2 TWO 2 singles in the Top 10!

Singles

01 Lady GaGa 19k

02 Alexandra Burke 12k

03 James Morrison/Nelly Furtado

04 Leona Lewis

05 Kings Of Leon

Top 10

Kings Of Leon (SOF)

Beyonce (SL)

Top 15

Saturdays

Akon

Top 20

Kevin Rudolf

MGMT

Top 30

Kanye West

Britney Spears

Ne'Yo (Mad)

Top 40

Girls Aloud (TLK)

Coolio

Albums

01 Kings Of Leon

02 Take That

03 Duffy

04 Leona Lewis

05 Killers

Top 10

MGMT

Script

Top 15

11 James Morrison

Snow Patrol

Top 20

Michael Jackson

Ting Tings

Akon

Top 30

Seal

Jason Mraz

Fleet Foxes

Kylie

Kanye West

Top 40

Chris Brown

Glasvegas

Adele

Keane

Guest Danny86

Q4 album sales up on 2007

Source: MW

00:20 | Wednesday January 7, 2009

By Ben Cardew

Album sales in the fourth quarter of 2008 were up 0.9% on the same period of 2007 thanks to a raft of strong releases from the likes of The Killers, Take That and Now! 71.

The result means that total album sales in 2008 were down just 3.2% on 2008 at 133.6m units, according to OCC data. Digital album sales grew 65% to 10.3m units, while sales of physical albums fell 6.4%.

Singles sales were up 33.0% on 2008, largely thanks to download sales, which now account for 95.8% of the total singles market, up from 90.1% at the end of 2007

BPI chief executive Geoff Taylor says that these figures are remarkably resilient, given the problems of the UK’s music retail sector at the end of 2008, with retailers Woolworths and Zavvi, and distributors EUK and Pinnacle. falling into administration.

The BPI says that, despite a slowdown in consumer spending and the pressures on the high street, the figures show that demand for new music remains high. In addition, it says the business has further cause for optimism in 2009, with the UK Government set to introduce new policies to combat unlawful downloading in the first half of the year.

The trade organisation also points to the success of UK acts abroad in 2008, including MIA, Leona Lewis and Coldplay, as evidence of the strength of the UK music industry.

The biggest-selling single of 2008 was Alexandra Burke’s Hallelujah (Syco); the biggest album was Duffy’s Rockferry (A&M).

The highlighted part surely gives the "haters" an explanation why Madonna couldn't land a top 20 hit with physical sales only.

Q4 album sales up on 2007

Source: MW

00:20 | Wednesday January 7, 2009

By Ben Cardew

Album sales in the fourth quarter of 2008 were up 0.9% on the same period of 2007 thanks to a raft of strong releases from the likes of The Killers, Take That and Now! 71.

The result means that total album sales in 2008 were down just 3.2% on 2008 at 133.6m units, according to OCC data. Digital album sales grew 65% to 10.3m units, while sales of physical albums fell 6.4%.

Singles sales were up 33.0% on 2008, largely thanks to download sales, which now account for 95.8% of the total singles market, up from 90.1% at the end of 2007

BPI chief executive Geoff Taylor says that these figures are remarkably resilient, given the problems of the UK’s music retail sector at the end of 2008, with retailers Woolworths and Zavvi, and distributors EUK and Pinnacle. falling into administration.

The BPI says that, despite a slowdown in consumer spending and the pressures on the high street, the figures show that demand for new music remains high. In addition, it says the business has further cause for optimism in 2009, with the UK Government set to introduce new policies to combat unlawful downloading in the first half of the year.

The trade organisation also points to the success of UK acts abroad in 2008, including MIA, Leona Lewis and Coldplay, as evidence of the strength of the UK music industry.

The biggest-selling single of 2008 was Alexandra Burke’s Hallelujah (Syco); the biggest album was Duffy’s Rockferry (A&M).

The highlighted part surely gives the "haters" an explanation why Madonna couldn't land a top 20 hit with physical sales only.

The ENTIRE article proves Madonna's DELUSION that you don't make money from records anymore.

that article states that album sales are down 3.2% from 2007 right? Thats not a huge drop but there have been no real major sellers.

which Kylie album is top 30? is it beatbox or whatever?

Hi, yes Boombox. It was upto 18 in yesterday's mids. Was 28 on Tuesday.

The ENTIRE article proves Madonna's DELUSION that you don't make money from records anymore.

True, but while the percentage drop isn't huge the drop in value will be bigger. Take That was £5.97 is Asda and £3 on Amazon download. In fact, Amazon reduced loads of download releases to £3. Album downloads still only account for less than 10% but they are growing fast.

Hi, yes Boombox. It was upto 18 in yesterday's mids. Was 28 on Tuesday.

Down to the 20s on Thu update :confused:

Those post-Christmas charts are always so erratic!

Some total sales for selected singles. Funny how Disturbia is now Rihanna's 2nd best selling single in UK - after Ella, Ella, Eh, Eh, Eh. And "Hot and Cold" doing great for its #4 peak!

763,488 X-Factor Finalists - Hero

543,841 Duffy - Mercy

494,537 Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl

477,472 Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire

350,939 Rihanna - Disturbia

331,760 Rihanna - Take A Bow

328,389 Katy Perry - Hot N Cold

257,545 Duffy - Warwick Avenue

So 4 Mins actually sneaked into the top 10 then but did the fug Sam Sparro overtake her? Cause that Radio 1 chart is premature... the actual Music Week year end figures aren't out yet are they? I imagine it will be in the next issue.

1 Into The Groove

2 Like A Virgin

I KNEW ITG and LAV were still her best sellers, despite some thinking CFY and Holiday with their reissues overtook them. It said on that old best selling artists TV show countdown that ITG did 800K, I think.

It is pretty shocking that Vogue was only gold considering she had the best selling single of that year in America with it and double platinum, which matches the old pre-1988 2 million sales for platinum singles certs.

It's annoying she hasn't had a million seller. One Kylie fan on youtube said Kylie was better cause she had 2 million sellers and Madonna had none :tongue: but then neither have ABBA (though Dancing Queen has a chance if it gets enough digital sales).

Great for James/ Nelly. Alexandra must be dropping sales quickly now although a million sales in three weeks is outstanding.

Well woolies gone now so no more physical sales at 20p! I Think if wolies never sold them cheaper then the goin rate of around £3.99, Alexndra would never have sold a million copies.

Sparro has overtaken 4 Mins in overall sales incl 2009, but in 2008 4 Mins was ahead.

Radio 1 is where the official top 40 is counted down each week. This is the same chart that Music Week will use and its the official chart.

Radio 1 best selling singles of the year is always counted down on new years eve and im guessing this will be the same chart Music Week will use.

So 4 Mins actually sneaked into the top 10 then but did the fug Sam Sparro overtake her? Cause that Radio 1 chart is premature... the actual Music Week year end figures aren't out yet are they? I imagine it will be in the next issue.

It's annoying she hasn't had a million seller. One Kylie fan on youtube said Kylie was better cause she had 2 million sellers and Madonna had none :tongue: but then neither have ABBA (though Dancing Queen has a chance if it gets enough digital sales).

Madonna, like ABBA has always had excellent album sales on the back of a strong lead single, hence the lack of a million seller single. I agree about Dancing Queen possibly picking up digital sales and I'm sure I read ITG was closer to 850,000. I read in Number 1 magazine that Warners planned to release it as a single in Sep 1991, in a similar format to the Holiday Collection, with the other singles not included on TIC - Angel, Dress You Up and Gambler - had they stuck to that then I'm sure she could have cleared close to 200,000 to take it past the million mark.

Oh and :lmao: @ the reasoning of Kylie fans.

4M re-entered the Top 200 2 weeks ago and the Airplay Chart last week, maybe due to year end shows. Song at #75 sold 4.5K and #155 sold 1.7K, so 4M should be anywhere between. Total sales should be well over 430K.

Singles

118. (160) 4 MINUTES (Madonna feat Justin Timberlake)

Airplay

72 RE Madonna feat Justin Timberlake 4 Minutes

I read in Number 1 magazine that Warners planned to release it as a single in Sep 1991, in a similar format to the Holiday Collection, with the other singles not included on TIC - Angel, Dress You Up and Gambler - had they stuck to that then I'm sure she could have cleared close to 200,000 to take it past the million mark.

Yes! I remember that and thought it would be a massive mistake/overkill. But then maybe not for the reasons you say. They should have just reissued "Groove" in the first place, fuck Holiday! Which was already a hit twice anyway. But then it has that universal "summer" theme, so it was an easy choice.

And you're right about the sales, Wikipedia says it sold 843,561

Some interesting archive interview footage also. :lmao: at Kylie Minogue saying she had "Ray of Light" on repeat on her kitchen stereo.

Damn, I tried getting this on the BBC iPlayer a couple of days ago and just missed it! :tongue:

No surprise with what Minogue said about ROL, considering she did a virtual remake with "Light Years". I also recall on Radio 1, her 3 favourite songs were played and ROL was one. I think she also said she was listening to "Music" and Coldplay's "Parachutes", when she was asked what she listening to in 2000.

She seemed to have lightened about Madonna in recent years, cause in the "Confide In Me" era whenever she was asked about Madonna by the press she would get very shirty. :lmao:

Cant get You Out of My Head came from Fever - both sold over a million. Maybe madonna has never made a single that people never liked that much to make it a million seller?

Madonna, like ABBA has always had excellent album sales on the back of a strong lead single, hence the lack of a million seller single. I agree about Dancing Queen possibly picking up digital sales and I'm sure I read ITG was closer to 850,000. I read in Number 1 magazine that Warners planned to release it as a single in Sep 1991, in a similar format to the Holiday Collection, with the other singles not included on TIC - Angel, Dress You Up and Gambler - had they stuck to that then I'm sure she could have cleared close to 200,000 to take it past the million mark.

Oh and :lmao: @ the reasoning of Kylie fans.