The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

i doubt it would have been top 3. it could have been a top 5 new entry in its first week then do what typical madonna songs do and fall off after 3/4 weeks on top40 ......GITM did better than most second songs if not all.....ok it was not top 3 but it stuck around....

i dont watch much adverts sorry.....very few catch my eye"

I´m a local star!! :demonic:

but I think GITM would have been at least a top three in other circumstances...

and FF continues to go down...isn´t the Ipod ad in the UK?

a sale is a sale regardless of it being digital or cd. its is only fans and admirers that buy digital songs. if some one does not like a song they wont buy it on digital.

LONG LIVE CD!

Agreed but I'm all for physicals losing their impact so that the chart comprises genuine hits, not fan base only hits. Surely it's time that they scrap physicals altogether, I'd actually feel embarrassed buying one to be honest.

Guest Danny86
i doubt it would have been top 3. it could have been a top 5 new entry in its first week then do what typical madonna songs do and fall off after 3/4 weeks on top40 ......GITM did better than most second songs if not all.....ok it was not top 3 but it stuck around....

Oh please, if "Hollywood" went to #2, then "Give It 2 Me" would have obviously went top 3 if the chart worked the same way as in 2003. But anyway, no point on imagining how it could have been, because that era is over.

a sale is a sale regardless of it being digital or cd. its is only fans and admirers that buy digital songs. if some one does not like a song they wont buy it on digital.

No, it doesn't work like that. Back then most releases were frontloaded and they only mattered for one week when dedicated fans bought the multiple formats to ensure a high debut position. These days you can buy a digital song from your own home 24/7. I think it's obvious that it's more convenient than picking a CD up, so if a single is a digital hit, then it appealed to more people, not only fans and admirers. Maybe they heard the song once on the radio in the car on the way back home after work, they checked out on iTunes and decided to pay for it. CDs could have never captured that kind of audience. These hits also last a lot longer, hence why the charts are changing much slower and there are less #1s.

Many artists aren't even issuing CD singles anymore, because it's not worth it to sell a couple of thousand AT MOST in a single week, compared to ten thousands of digital downloads for a month at least.

:rotfl:

I really do think the days of multiple singles from an album are behind us.

I don´t agree with you: I think the albums are going to have more than 2 singles, but to have more than one number 1 from an album+ a big seller album , I think it´s going to be more difficult