Britney to tie/eclipse Madonna

Queen Bitch

Female Artist with the most #1 in this decade (2001-2010)

4 #1

Beyonce (1 with Shakira; 1 with Jay-Z)

3 #1

Christina Aguilera (1 with Redman; 1 with Mya, Lil' Kim & Pink)

Leona Lewis

Madonna (1 with Justin & Timbaland) :dramatic:

Pink (1 with Christina Aguilera, Mya & Lil' Kim)

2 #1

Britney Spears

Jennifer Lopez

Kelly Rowland (1 with David Guetta; 1 with Nelly)

Kylie Minogue

Lady Gaga (1 with Colby O'Donis)

Lily Allen

Nelly Furtado (1 with Timbaland & Justin Timberlake)

Rihanna (1 with Jay-Z)

Shakira (1 with Beyonce; 1 with Wyclef Jean)

If Destiny's Child "Survivor" counted, Beyonce will have 5 #1 whereas Kelly Rowland will have 3 #1. Likewise, Spicegirl will have 2 #1 (Emma & Geri each scored 1 #1 in this decade).

Fantastic stats, although you'd be hard pressed to find a music historian who wouldn't accept that a decade in music is determined by the second last digit of the year, which is why eras are referred to as 80s, 90s, 00s etc. No one would say "from the second year of the 80s until the first year of the 90s" - everyone would say "in the 80s" and refer to stats from the years 1980 to 1989 (thus following the "second last digit" rule). All of the charts listing the biggest sellers per decade follow this rule, too, so as far as the music industry is concerned, 00s started on January 1st, 2000 and will end on December 31st, 2009. As I said, though, fantastic stats, horn!

Fantastic stats, although you'd be hard pressed to find a music historian who wouldn't accept that a decade in music is determined by the second last digit of the year, which is why eras are referred to as 80s, 90s, 00s etc. No one would say "from the second year of the 80s until the first year of the 90s" - everyone would say "in the 80s" and refer to stats from the years 1980 to 1989 (thus following the "second last digit" rule). All of the charts listing the biggest sellers per decade follow this rule, too, so as far as the music industry is concerned, 00s started on January 1st, 2000 and will end on December 31st, 2009. As I said, though, fantastic stats, horn!

I think Billboard published an article on the definition of what you'd mentioned and they think 00s means 1/1/2001 - 31/12/2010

^ wth horn lol?? um..the decade BEGAN on 1/1/2000 and ends on 12/31/09 your logic may be more opinion than fact.

I think Billboard published an article on the definition of what you'd mentioned and they think 00s means 1/1/2001 - 31/12/2010

Really?? Do you have a link to this? They definitely don't include 2000 in the 90s, as I have their collection of 1990s Hot 100 charts (hardcover) and it's 1990-1999. If what you said is true, as far as Billboard is concerned, 2000 doesn't exist in chart history, since it doesn't belong to the 90s or the 00s....

I've got a couple of friends who work at Billboard, so I'll check with them.

Guest Danny86

Didn't Billboard celebrate Janet when she hit #1 with "Doesn't Really Matter" in 2000 saying that she was the first female to hit #1 in all 3 decades? Ironically Madonna followed just after with "Music".

^ wth horn lol?? um..the decade BEGAN on 1/1/2000 and ends on 12/31/09 your logic may be more opinion than fact.

Strictly speaking, horn is correct, since there was never a year 0, so the first decade ran from 1AD to 10AD, and the first century was from 1AD to 100AD (marking 11AD the beginning of the second decade and 101 the beginning of the 2nd century etc.). This is why a lot of academics and purists were arguing that the millennium celebrations were a year early, since the new millennium technically started on January 1st 2001, but no one actually cared and since the argument was based on an event that happened over 2000 years ago (when a calendar year wasn't even 365 days and the birth date of Jesus wasn't even in December), it wasn't really considered to be that important. Almost everyone would agree that we are just over five months away from entering a new decade and that the current one began in 2000. I don't think Jesus would mind about this, either :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link! I see I commented extensively on the absurdity of the system back then, too :)

I don't think it's Billboard's policy to exclude the year 2000 from this decade. It seems to be simply Fred Bronson's idea to follow this format for his list of "century-related" stats.

Billboard and its definitions have nothing to do with the UK charts. 2009 will be the end of this musical decade.

At the very end of 1989 they celebrated the end of the 80's decade. madonna had 6 no1's that decade - he last 1 being LAP. In the 1990's Madonna is considered to have had 2 no1's - vogue and frozen. Music is a no1 of this decade not the 1990's.

Guest Bad Robot

For those "millenium" arguments with "no year zero," you've got to play the semantics game all the way through. If you referred to, for example, "the ninth decade of the 20th century," then 1981-1990 would be correct. But a decade is merely any period of ten years. You could say "the first decade of your life" which could be 1974-1983 or 1986-1995. Similiarly, the 80s, by definition of saying "80s," is 1980-1989. Saying it should be 1981-1990 is incorrect - that's not the 80s, that's 9/10ths of the 80s and one year from the 90s.

It's a fussy "over-correction" that not only flies in the face of most people's common sense, but ends up being wrong in the end after all.

sweet dreams by Beyonce is picking up steam on uk itunes. Does this song have a chance to get to #1? If so, she will tie M :(.

• 2 months later...
Guest Danny86

Had to bump this because Billboard is now saying:

Like Whitburn's essential volumes, Billboard considers decades as running from '80 through '89, '90 through '99 and '00 through '09, for example. So, yes, Streisand could notch a No. 1 in a sixth decade as soon as the chart dated Jan. 2, 2010.

http://www.billboard.com/#/column/chartbeat/ask-billboard-jay-sean-meets-the-beatles-1004021149.story

omg, do u think Zitney has a shot at another UK #1 with "3"??? Is there any strong competition - like any X-Factor songs etc..I heard Leona releases a new single the week before? This is exactly like what happened a year ago with Womanzier lol. Hope she doesnt get it!

omg, do u think Zitney has a shot at another UK #1 with "3"??? Is there any strong competition - like any X-Factor songs etc..I heard Leona releases a new single the week before? This is exactly like what happened a year ago with Womanzier lol. Hope she doesnt get it!

michael, robbie,leona?