LONDON - September 11 - FAN Reports/Pics/Videos

Dr Lecter

from Madonnalicious

Madonnas sticky and sweet show in Wembley left a sour taste in my mouth. Her support act finished way way too early, leaving us sitting in silence, absolutely no atmosphere or build up to the show. When she came on and throughout the show we could hardly see her let alone hear her. We might as well have stayed at home and watched her on the telly. She simply did not get the crowd going. Afterwards was a complete disaster, stranded as the tube shut and we had no clue how to get back to our hotel, All round very disappointing

Posted by: Michelle | Sunday, 14 September 2008 at 04:24 PM

My complaint is not with Madonna or her performance. It was the sheer lack of sound up in stands.

I have seen Madonna live on her tours since 2001 and have always come away with energy and excitement. This time was a different story. I never thought I would see people walk out of a Madonna show, but they were all saying the same what's the point in being there. We knew we were going to get a crap view in the stands but hardly any sound either?

With todays advances in technology there is no excuse for bad sound. Live Nation should be disgusted, but a big company like that will be rubbing their hands together with the hundreds of millions that the Icon is bringing in for them.

And then apparently spokes people for Madonna saying that their was no problem with the sound??? Clearly these people were sat on the floor, prob in the VIP area where the sound was perfect not in the stands with the rest of the minions who had shelled out their hard earned £££. It makes me sick.

Madonna is or used to be a perfectionist. Look at the in bed with Madonna dvd. The opening scene is of a sound check where she says "if they cant get the sound right, she ain't doing a show" Was she present at the sound check for this venue?

I have loved Madonna since 1984 and still do, I just hope that she reads some of these reviews and makes changes to show that she does actually care about her fans.

Amen

Posted by: andy | Sunday, 14 September 2008 at 02:53 PM

I'm never going to Wembley Stadium again. I remember seeing the Girlie show and eventhough i was really young I got the sense i was walking into a historic building. The screens for those who were on the side were enormous back then, compared to the tiny ones of today. I've seen bigger cinema screens. Madonna is still one of the best performers going and its sad that for such a high price the stadium spoiled the experience, and its a shame people criticized Madonna when its not her fault.

Posted by: Ted | Sunday, 14 September 2008 at 02:22 PM

I went to the Wembley show Thursday, and I agree Madonna was amazing. At first I was sat as far left as you could be and I saw nothing from the song "candyshop","human nature" and "beat goes on" but luckily Wembley staff after many complaints allowed certain people to move and I was one of them lucky people, they moved us to the golden circle and I enjoyed the show very much although there was still sound issues heard from golden circle. Overall great show and I didnt travel home I stayed there the night in a hotel which was cheap!!!!

Posted by: Jordan | Sunday, 14 September 2008 at 11:28 AM

Fan report

I was so looking forward to seeing the 'queen of pop' madonna perform at wembley stadium on the 11th of september, but like some oher fans left there disapointed. I've been a hugh fans since 1986, my first ever concert was the 'Blond Ambition Tour' which for me is the best ever world tour she has done.

The sound and screens were very not impressive at all - I was sitting at the right hand side of the stadium, near the top. Most people around me were just sitting with really no expression. I had to get up and dance to make myself feel the experience. I was really kidding myself, sorry guys but true.

There was hardly any interaction with the crowd, paying so much money - at least give us some credit. I'm just finding myself getting bored with the new stuff, 80's and 90's really ROCKED.

Overall - I'm not impressed and will think twice before going to another madonna gig, even the playlist was not all that.

Posted by: Aman | Sunday, 14 September 2008 at 09:41 AM

This was my first Madonna concert and shelled out £160 for a top price ticket which appeared to be seated close to the stage on the seating plan. I was very excited and even kept a media blackout on the whole tour as I wanted to be blown away by her.

Nevermind that she was late, that is forgivable. But the opening was weak compared to the stella entrances for the Re-invention and Confessions tours which I saw the photos of, and most annoyingly, seated in block 125 right next to the stage, none of us could see her entrance on stage as it was a side view and the stage was protruding too far out and/or the stage was too deep. And the opening was exactly the same as for the promo performances she did months before. Wow. Refreshing.

£160 and having to look at the screen most of the time to even see what was going on, that was a sad joke that her management or whoever designed and priced the seating plan has pulled on the top-paying fans. Furthermore during many of the interludes, the video screens were black, showing the videos only within the stage and on the round video display above the catwalk.

No complaints about the setlist or the dancing (or whatever little anyone in my section could see of it), beautiful costumes and stage design, and no complaints about the audio in my section, but it would have been much cheaper if it had been a radio show, which is what it felt like most of the time.

From what I know from friends who worked at Wembley's ticketing, she was initially planning to add an extra date on the 12th of September but its pretty obvious that she has bitten off far more than she can chew this time.

Posted by: Eugene | Sunday, 14 September 2008 at 02:10 AM

I agree with the last comment, the show has come in for some stick in the press and it reallt doesn't deserve it. The show I could not fault ok so Madonna messed the words to Like a Prayer (I never noticed!!) apart from that it was a fantastic show, the venue really let it down. I have looked forward to the show and have counted down the days since I booked the tickets (I think it was April?) but I have never felt such an anticlimax after a Madonna show :o( really really dissapointed. Not with Madonna or the dancers or band etc but with Live Nation, Ticketmaster and Wembley!! Ticket pricing was wrong, seating was rubbish!, and the staff at Wembley were very very unhelpful and unsympathetic I asked to be moved and was told they could not do anything as it was up to the box ofice which was now closed! I really do not mind paying the £160 to see Madonna but that is what I want, I actually want to see Madonna! I have been a Madonna fan since around 1985 and have seen every tour plus some promo stuff since Blonde Ambition, but I have to say after this experience I really doubt I will see her again. I can not express how gutted I am, if I had the spare cash then I would be on a plane to Paris to see her but my priorities have changed these days as I have a 22 month old baby to think about and can ot really justify the money already spent. Madonna is amazing I love her always have always will but think there has been some bad decisions with this tour, whether they were hers or Live Nation trying to claw back some of the money they spent on her I do not know and probably never will but I am just so sad that my last Madonna concert has been spoilt, if the show had been in the arena then it would probably have knocked spots off the confessions show and that takes some beating.

Posted by: John Suddes | Saturday, 13 September 2008 at 10:43 PM

It's true the sound was terrible. I went to the 2 sept Amsterdam concert and was in front of the little circle-stage; on the right side.

We could only hear the base VERY loud; it was really terrible. You know the (nice) feeling when the base takes over your body....well...something happened that I never have experienced: the BACK of my head also vibrated with the heavy base. It was really terrible. I couldn't hear any of the higher tones of the music. Almost all the people next to me (including myself) were protecting their ears at least half of the concert. The only song I completely heard Madonna sing all the way was "You must love me" (guess there was no base-line in that).

I know the sound was not bad everywhere, because friends of me were at other parts of the stadium and didnt have any complaint about the heavy base.

I liked the concert very much....but only the looks of it.....the sound I will hear when we can buy the dvd... :(

I hope all our complaints will reach somehow the sound-people of Madonna....so they can make sure the rest of the fans can hear Madonna SING!!!

Greetings from the Netherlands.

Posted by: André Holland | Saturday, 13 September 2008 at 10:35 PM

c'mon you people its not madonna's faulth. i think the next time she's on tour she'll skip stadium performaces. anyway S&S is much more an arena rather than stadium show. to much going on on the scene, to much action that people really need to see it, not just listen to the songs hundreds of metters away from the stage.

Posted by: me | Saturday, 13 September 2008 at 10:17 PM

After going to the show on Thursday, I have to say I thought it was fantastic. Another amazing outing from our Queen. I have to say that I think this was the wrong venue for the event and I had heard from many people before the show that the sound quality is not the best. They had experienced at other shows they had been to see.

I had a hotel booked and I really do think that most people are either unhappy with the sound quality or the London Transport situation. Looking at the postings on other web sites, people are really slagging the show and I think that the performance is talking a knock for all the wrong reasons. As to Madonna herself, I have read many awful comments on how bad she looks and that she is passed it. I personally think she looked fantastic and the whole thing was very polished. People see her in the paper every day and if they don't like the way she looks in the press, why go and spend up to £160 to go and see her. Then you see the Kylie comments, she is just doing shows like Madonna did 10 years ago! Move on......

Madonna and other artists should really consider not using this venue in the future.

I had seats in block 220 to the left of the stage.....sound was OK most of the time but the view was not brilliant. At least I could see a screen.

I still had a great night though, only Madonna puts on a show like that.

Matthew, Kirkham-Lancashire

Posted by: Matthew Hinchliffe | Saturday, 13 September 2008 at 09:38 PM

I just came back from London! :dramatic:

So good! The british crowd was so bad! I couldn't believe it! They were just standing! I had heard stories about british crowds but that was so pathetic! Only the foreign fans were good!

Here is one of my videos that I uploaded on youtube! I was second row, in front of the catwalk. She's not me and Like a prayer were AMAZING

The way back home was a nightmare! Tousands of people stuck for hours, waiting to use the underground! Total mess! But the show was great!

Part of Beat Goes On :wow:

wow...you can hear a lot from that clip....what were people complaining about? maybe they were on the other side and that's where the speaker was blown?

Guest boytoyville

^ It was just a couple sections where thw speakers blew & then a bunch of other people thought they would jump on the bitching bandwagon.

^ It was just a couple sections where thw speakers blew & then a bunch of other people thought they would jump on the bitching bandwagon.

hang on... no definitely wrong.... I was very close to the same perspective seat wise on the 11th... I've never been to a gig where you can talk in a normal voice over the music to the friend sitting beside you without having to speak particularly loudly... and where when people are singing along .. you can hear 20-30 other people's voices but you can't hear the singer properly... I dont think it was so bad that anyone deserves a refund.... but it wasn't clever... and I am sure that heads have been removed already

Guest boytoyville

^ No doubt the sound could have been better all around but I did post some video posted from the most upper tiers & some of the sound wasn't bad...nevertheless I'm sure if she does Wembley Stadium again her team will ensure that everything is perfect!

the venue is huge. The seats right at the top of the gods nearly induced nosebleeds. You don't realise how steep it is until you walk it. I would not want to be up there if there was an emergency as people will trip and get trampled.

I had no idea she fluffed any of the lyrics as we could not hear them it was so muffled. I still don't quite understand why people who were standing in completely different sections of the venue think because they could hear and see ok, then everyone else could and they are just moaning for the sake of it. It's not like it was the Helen Keller School Outing.

• 3 weeks later...

Sticky & Sweet Tour: London Fan Pictures - Part 4

The London section of the Sticky & Sweet Tour gallery is now complete with 300 pictures from over 20 different fans - you can view the gallery here.

This great selection of pictures from the Wembley Stadium show were taken by madonnalicious reader Paul - and don't forget you can submit your tour pictures to madonnalicious@gmail.com

london_110908_paul1news.jpg

london_110908_paul2news.jpg

london_110908_paul3news.jpg

london_110908_paul4news.jpg

london_110908_paul5news.jpg

london_110908_paul6news.jpg