BOXSCORE: S&S grossed $407.7 million!!! Attended by 3.5 million people!

motherandfather03

Guest boytoyville

^ Billboards tracking year for tours is different than a calender year. There tracking year begins and ends sometiem in the fall I believe.

I just thought I would point out how great the tour did in Milan. The gross was 800,000 more dollars than Rome and they sold 2,000 less tickets. They must have had a higher average ticket price in Milan than Rome and 55,000 at San Siro really is pretty much every seat and standing place sold for an end stage production. Milan loves Madonna!

Indeed she did brilliantly in Milan

Top priced ticket for the september concert in Rome last year was €140.......in Milan it was € 172

In addition to this there's to consider that pitch tickets in Rome were all priced at € 70...there were no prato A

(golden circle) and prato B tickets......in Milan pitch A was €92 and pitch B €80

Attendance for the Rome show was reported as 66,000 people..... Milan 55,000

It is ridiculous how sometimes or most of the time some media try to downplay the massive success that she enjoys

on a constant basis..... although the Milan concert was a highly publicized event in the media and critically

well received, some newspapers were eager to point out how unlike the U2 concerts of the previous week (7th and 8th

of July) Madonna didn't manage to sell 100% of capacity ( meaning 2000 seats over a 59,000 capacity lol)......

basically it's like saying oh yes the show is great and she's been around for so long but you know....she didn't

sell out the place and U2 did....ahah how laughable

what the papers don't mention on purpose is the fact this tour by U2 is in support of their first studio album in

5 yers and their first concert in Italy in 4 years whereas Madonna had an album out in late 2005 and toured Italy

with a sell out concert in Rome in the summer of 2006 and then another record after 2 years and half from the

previous one and another sold out concert in the Italian capital barely two years after the 2006 one.....so

I don't quite understand the comparison.....pretty pointless.....but of course the bottom line is that Madonna

is one of the most widely recognized and enduring artists of the past 30 years and so are U2 but she is a WOMAN in

fact and U2 are MEN I mean how dare she be so intelligent and consistently successfull?! lol

Guest Danny86

2 Madonna, Paul Oakenfold Valle Hovin

Oslo, Norway

July 28, 30, 2009

$10,481,500

79,409 /

2 /

$174.60, $126.98

Live Nation Global Touring

4 Madonna, Paul Oakenfold Tallinn Song Festival Grounds

Tallinn, Estonia

Aug. 4, 2009

$5,924,839

72,067 /

1 /

$326.83, $77.32

Live Nation Global Touring

5 Madonna, Paul Oakenfold Palace Square

St. Petersburg, Russia

Aug. 2, 2009

$4,431,805

27,103 /

1 /

$952.44, $63.50

Live Nation Global Touring/Zao Planet Plus

:wacko:

Guest Danny86

Seems so. I mean, she's really able to sell THAT much anywhere, even Slovenia had reportedly 24k. So what's the point of this sell out thing if they can manipulate it? You can see it on Russia pictures that it was more than 27k people, everyone talked about 40-50k.

Oh and it's definitely a Live Nation thing, Beyonce's promoter keeps publishing very bad numbers and Britney's never revealed ANY from the European tour. Interesting that only U2 and Madonna have "Live Nation GLOBAL TOURING" while everyone else just Live Nation...

Seems so. I mean, she's really able to sell THAT much anywhere, even Slovenia had reportedly 24k. So what's the point of this sell out thing if they can manipulate it? You can see it on Russia pictures that it was more than 27k people, everyone talked about 40-50k.

Oh and it's definitely a Live Nation thing, Beyonce's promoter keeps publishing very bad numbers and Britney's never revealed ANY from the European tour. Interesting that only U2 and Madonna have "Live Nation GLOBAL TOURING" while everyone else just Live Nation...

Is that your theory?

I 've visited at least 5 concerts on the Palace Square in St.Petersburg

and I know its fillability

I was there. it was full. there were ~50,000 on aug, 2d

27,000 is a flop concert (it's a half of the square)

don't know where do they get the data :wacko:

in front of the column it's just fan-zone A,B + sitting/VIP (6.000 + 12.000 + 10.000 = 28.000)

there were at least 15.000 behind the column - general adm

9pt346.jpg

zy0c0.jpg

Guest Topaz Scorpio

I don't why certain people here are shocked that numbers are being manipulated. Fans on this board have been saying this for a few years now, at least back to the Confessions Tour when certain tour dates that people attended had many empty seats and then magically the show was declared sold out. (Boston show #3 and Hartford show #2 come quickly to mind)

Again though, if you look at most shows that have sell-out issues it's in places where she either oversaturated the market (which was the case with those U.S. shows mentioned above, and has been the case for some of the Euro shows on the current tour) or is playing areas where her fanbase just isn't large enough. It doesn't diminish the successes of the rest of the tour dates though. And she still blows pretty much every other touring act out of the water, so not really a big deal in the end.

Guest boytoyville

Well, I'm not going to explain how the boxscore system work anymore because clearly not matter how many times you explain it, the same people still don't get it. Anyways great numbers as always!

I am confused at the St. Petersburg concert. They know they sold more...why not brag?

Also, I am starting to have doubts that she will break the $400 million mark. I thought for sure Russia's date would break $5.5 million. She's getting closer to needing almost $6 million per show now to hit the magic 400 and I really don't think it is going to happen with the Eastern European concerts.

Guest jamesshot

I guess with Russia I am just surprised they only put 27,000 tix on sale when clearly they eventually sold much more.

Guest Danny86

Well, I'm not going to explain how the boxscore system work anymore because clearly not matter how many times you explain it, the same people still don't get it. Anyways great numbers as always!

I understand how it works, remember last week I shared your opinion. I also understand why LN has to set the bar low for the 5th Spanish and the 3rd Italian date of the same tour. But when they underestimate by a huge margin, then it's really annoying. We used to rely on Boxscore for *official* attendance numbers and now it's clear we can't do that anymore. Not even the haters would claim only 27,000 people went to see her in St. Petersburg after seeing those pictures sniper posted. It's THE most special venue of the whole tour, yet LN was so afraid of not being able to sell every single ticket, possibly because the initial rush was not as high as they hoped. I think it's interesting how Oslo matches the *exact* number everyone heard about, Tallinn is very close to it and I'm sure Helsinki won't be too far from the predicted number (85,000) either, but there's a big discrepancy with Russia, because that was never an instant sellout. To me it just seems that when the slightest possibility arises that a venue won't do amazingly, they immediately set the bar low to make sure she can still claim a sellout date. I understand it's business and I'm sure it does not go against any Billboard rules, but as a fan, I'm disappointed that we can't get accurate facts about her attendance. Not to mention it does make LN look unprofessional because in a way it would seem the rest of the attending people got the tickets "illegally", like on the black market, and even reminds me of those "stores not reporting to SoundScan".

Oh and now I'm sure all the Eastern European dates will be around 30,000 except Poland. A fan who's attending the Warsaw gig said that show might be one of her biggest ever, the Polish press talking about 100,000 people going there (that show got the most promo of the whole tour because the catholics were complaining), which would at least be her biggest attendance since 1993, but now it's almost sure the Boxscore numbers won't reflect that and they will settle with around 60-70,000.

Guest jamesshot

^^ Yes Danny, I am very annoyed we don't get exact numbers. I mean, it is not embarassing if she can pull in 45,000 in a stadium that seats 60,000.

It is just such a shame the attendance for Russia, Finland, Poland to name a few will probably go underreported.

I think this is being taken way to seriously and some of you need to calm down. Madonna doesn't seem to be angry, annoyed, or feel like she is being treated unfairly. Why should any of us? She is making hundreds of millions of dollars and playing to millions of people.

I 've visited at least 5 concerts on the Palace Square in St.Petersburg

and I know its fillability

I was there. it was full. there were ~50,000 on aug, 2d

27,000 is a flop concert (it's a half of the square)

don't know where do they get the data :wacko:

in front of the column it's just fan-zone A,B + sitting/VIP (6.000 + 12.000 + 10.000 = 28.000)

there were at least 15.000 behind the column - general adm

9pt346.jpg

zy0c0.jpg

WOW at those pictures! St. Petersburg really came out for her. :thumbsup:

Underreporting for tax purposes?

I don't know, but Madonna is really unique as compared to others: she can sacrifice charts and bragging numbers for the bottomline. A real businesswoman. She doesn't need figures to confirm for herself how great she is. She, however is VERY interested in dollars and cents.

Of course, I say this without knowing full well the mechanics and reasons behind the boxscores numbers.. The St. Petersburg pics/crowd size are amazing, btw..

Guest Danny86

I think this is being taken way to seriously and some of you need to calm down. Madonna doesn't seem to be angry, annoyed, or feel like she is being treated unfairly. Why should any of us? She is making hundreds of millions of dollars and playing to millions of people.

Congrats for completely missing the point. I don't see what Madonna making millions of dollars has to do with what I said about not knowing accurate numbers on her attendance.

It really isn't a case of LN deciding *after* tickets went on sale that they had to lower the bar in order to claim a sell out. Those figures were determined before a single ticket even went on sale. For reasons known only to Guy Oseary, LN and possibly Madonna, they figured that they would only sell 27k tickets in Russia and that's all they put on sale initially. Of course they sold a lot more tickets, but officially, they only sold 27k.

Congrats for completely missing the point. I don't see what Madonna making millions of dollars has to do with what I said about not knowing accurate numbers on her attendance.

Missing the point? I don't think you really have a point. We don't really have the right to know exactly how many people were at each show. We have to go on what LV tell us. They don't really owe us any explaniation on how they do the math. If you want to know how many people are at each show, you have the right to attend each show and count.

Guest Danny86

Missing the point? I don't think you really have a point. We don't really have the right to know exactly how many people were at each show. We have to go on what LV tell us. They don't really owe us any explaniation on how they do the math. If you want to know how many people are at each show, you have the right to attend each show and count.

Why are you making up excuses? You know it very well that LN bragged with Wembley and Zurich attendance in press releases all the time, why do we have the right to know those, but not the Palace Square attendance?

I know we have to go with that LN tells us, that's exactly my point, they are obviously giving us NOT REAL crowd numbers. And why are you making it seem this was an attack against Madonna herself and nobody is allowed to speak up? Do you do the same when people complain about Warner not promoting Madonna enough, or you think we don't have the right to know their promo methods either?

It's flawed logic if you say "oh but we know her total grosses and she's still making enough money, so why make it serious" but we have no right to know the exact number of people who attended. What you're saying is like they could post any random number in $ millions and we should take it as a fact without questioning it, even though via the internet anyone can find pictures and reports that obviously go against what LN wants us to know. And once again, I don't see how any of this has to do with "Madonna does not feel she is being treated unfairly"...

Guest BytheBay

Why are you making up excuses? You know it very well that LN bragged with Wembley and Zurich attendance in press releases all the time, why do we have the right to know those, but not the Palace Square attendance?

I know we have to go with that LN tells us, that's exactly my point, they are obviously giving us NOT REAL crowd numbers. And why are you making it seem this was an attack against Madonna herself and nobody is allowed to speak up? Do you do the same when people complain about Warner not promoting Madonna enough, or you think we don't have the right to know their promo methods either?

It's flawed logic if you say "oh but we know her total grosses and she's still making enough money, so why make it serious" but we have no right to know the exact number of people who attended. What you're saying is like they could post any random number in $ millions and we should take it as a fact without questioning it, even though via the internet anyone can find pictures and reports that obviously go against what LN wants us to know. And once again, I don't see how any of this has to do with "Madonna does not feel she is being treated unfairly"...

Actually you don't have a right to know any of that information. You get to know what they tell you and that's it. Its their business not yours.

No one is taking it liek you are attacking madonna but way to go to the easiest solution, calling him a loon, rather then realize that you're being ridiculous.

If LN puts out a press release, then you get that info. If they don't, you don't. And the rest of your logic makes absolutely no sense.

Actually you don't have a right to know any of that information. You get to know what they tell you and that's it. Its their business not yours.

If someone owns stock in Live Nation, which I am not sure anyone here does, then they do have the right to know.

I'm not sure the argument here should be "we have a right to know" as much as it should be "if the information you release is flawed, then why should anyone believe anything you say?" And granted, this is not top secret life-threatening information, but for those members of the forum who like discussing her business and chart dealings, it is a valid point of discussion. I mean, we're not Lambs after all. In my opinion, it is always good to question information that appears suspect - even if it is just for fun.

Guest Danny86

No one is taking it liek you are attacking madonna but way to go to the easiest solution, calling him a loon, rather then realize that you're being ridiculous.

If LN puts out a press release, then you get that info. If they don't, you don't. And the rest of your logic makes absolutely no sense.

Sorry, but LN is building Madonna's career around "highest grossing female tours ever" so I'd say it's pretty much every fan's business. May I remind you that last year every fan was so hung up on the Boxscores, rubbing them into Celine fans' faces, saying it was the testament to Madonna's ultimate power and Celine not reporting numbers meant she had nothing to brag with?

Also, this is the same company that cancelled 2 dates hidden deep within a press release that celebrated the unprecedented demand of the tour. I don't see why I'm being called ridiculous here when I'm just stating my impressions that are far from what appear on this board, namely "Warner wants Madonna to fail" or the "Mariah is obsessed to compete with Madonna" or "Madonna hates people in Australia" and so on.

And while I didn't call notsomuch a "loon", his response with "Madonna doesn't seem to be annoyed, why should be any of us?" still seems way off in this discussion.

Once again, all this has nothing to do with Madonna or her touring power, I'm just saying there's no longer credibility in LN's numbers for me when it comes to attendance. And just reminding people that this company will be in charge for the next decade, and not just tours. So the next time you read about inflated Mariah or MJ sales numbers, be prepared that Madonna might get the same treatment soon.

Guest Danny86
And granted, this is not top secret life-threatening information, but for those members of the forum who like discussing her business and chart dealings, it is a valid point of discussion. I mean, we're not Lambs after all. In my opinion, it is always good to question information that appears suspect - even if it is just for fun.

That's what I mean, nobody is losing sleep over this, just the responses here are weird. We all know many Madonna fans jump on Sony or IDJ citing inflated Mariah numbers, but by this logic we should take what they say as fact since it's not our business to know the numbers and we get what we get.

It's even possible that LN or Billboard made a simple mistake from what we know, but this attitude of "don't question what you get" is definitely out of line in this particular case.

Sorry, but LN is building Madonna's career around "highest grossing female tours ever" so I'd say it's pretty much every fan's business. May I remind you that last year every fan was so hung up on the Boxscores, rubbing them into Celine fans' faces, saying it was the testament to Madonna's ultimate power and Celine not reporting numbers meant she had nothing to brag with?

Also, this is the same company that cancelled 2 dates hidden deep within a press release that celebrated the unprecedented demand of the tour. I don't see why I'm being called ridiculous here when I'm just stating my impressions that are far from what appear on this board, namely "Warner wants Madonna to fail" or the "Mariah is obsessed to compete with Madonna" or "Madonna hates people in Australia" and so on.

And while I didn't call notsomuch a "loon", his response with "Madonna doesn't seem to be annoyed, why should be any of us?" still seems way off in this discussion.

Once again, all this has nothing to do with Madonna or her touring power, I'm just saying there's no longer credibility in LN's numbers for me when it comes to attendance. And just reminding people that this company will be in charge for the next decade, and not just tours. So the next time you read about inflated Mariah or MJ sales numbers, be prepared that Madonna might get the same treatment soon.

Wow, you really have some strong feelings here. So there is no credibility in LN's number. Frankly, I think you should be happy that they give us any numbers at all. They don't have to. It's their right to put out this information or not. They don't care how us "fan" feel about it, or we we're going to think, and it's their right not to care. And, it's your right not to like it.

This exchange is the reason I seldom post anything on here anymore because so many are irrational and come across sounding like idiots.

Guest jamesshot

LN #'s are accurate in so far as you're talking bottom line. What I mean is, when it says 72,013 attended that means at the very least 72,013 people FOR SURE paid. As we all know, many of these numbers are low and in fact LN actually sold more tix but officially if they put up 72,013 tix and sell those tix THAT is what they report even if they put up and sold 10,000 additional tix.

Wow, you really have some strong feelings here. So there is no credibility in LN's number. Frankly, I think you should be happy that they give us any numbers at all. They don't have to. It's their right to put out this information or not. They don't care how us "fan" feel about it, or we we're going to think, and it's their right not to care. And, it's your right not to like it.

This exchange is the reason I seldom post anything on here anymore because so many are irrational and come across sounding like idiots.

I think Danny just meant that those numbers don't seem right wich is obvious by looking at those pics from Russia.

I don't think he's being irrational by stating that. I don't think he's saying he doesn't "like" it, he's just saying that that info doesn't seem accurate at all.

Guest jamesshot

I read an article online that said the St. Petersburg date was incorrectly published on Billboard that it was actually 57,000 not 27,000 but as soon as I tried to copy/paste the link I lost the page. So I checked Wikipedia and it has the 57,000 number listed.