BOXSCORE: S&S grossed $407.7 million!!! Attended by 3.5 million people!

motherandfather03

The world is in a global recession, and Spain has 18% UNEMPLOYMENT. There's no way she was gonna fill up stadiums at her prices.

and we know she would better perform to 20,000 less people than lowering her prices.

actually, she lowered her prices ridicolously in Zaragoza and this didn't help her - so get ready for a huge increase in ticket prices next time and the return to arenas - as if we can afford a 6 night run at 400 $ each without prostituting ourselves.

Guest boytoyville

I don't care that the tour has grossed lots of money but with all the respect someone of Madonna's status and fame selling "only" 28K in Udine, 31k in Madrid (this is Madrid after all and she hasn't been there in almost 20 years!!), 30K in Zara...honestly it's not impressive. Especially the Madrid's numbers...in fact even Barcelona is not impressive when you think that Bruce Springsteen sold-out 2 times the Camp Mou stadium on his last tour and U2 did the same thing.

Sure LN and Madonna are making money but those numbers are nothing to brag about. Say if it was for a singer like Beyonce or Whitney Houston it would be considered extremely good but for someone of Madonna's fame it's rather low. And Live Nation really needs to cut the non-sense of putting 28K tickets for sale in a stadium and calling it sold-out!! If they can't sell what the stadium capacity is then they need to book an arena instead from the very beginning

The difference is that U2 AND Bruce Springsteen and the E street band are just that, BANDS. Groups and bands have historically consistently have sold more tickets and larger venues. It's fact. Madonna's tour has set a new standard for not only female artist but solo artist as well with this tour. I have said this a million times before. There are industry standards for what a sellout is and the standard has NEVER been all possible seat and space must be sold. That is not how the touring industry work. It has NOTHING to do with Live Nation or Madonna.

What's next you guys calling her tour a flop? Pathetic. The tour is MASSIVE both part 1 and part 2. I find it hysterical. Doesn't get bigger than Madonna on tour. Her numbers all over the world are unmatched by 1 performer when also considering what she charges. It's phenomenal period.

This place has become IhateMadonna.com

What's next you guys calling her tour a flop? Pathetic. The tour is MASSIVE both part 1 and part 2. I find it hysterical. Doesn't get bigger than Madonna on tour. Her numbers all over the world are unmatched by 1 performer when also considering what she charges. It's phenomenal period.

This place has become IhateMadonna.com

No one is hating on her...at least i'm not. The fact is, she's oversaturated europe with this tour, and the global recession is playing a factor as well. S&S will have a huge gross when all is said and done, but i'm sure LN isn't thrilled with half empty stadiums, and cancelled shows. The only reason S&S is playing in stadiums, is to feed Madonna's EGO, and Live Nations, GREED. If they had stuck to arenas, they wouldn't be having all of these problems.

Guest boytoyville

^ oh dear, half empty stadiums and live nation worried, only playing stadiums for Madonna's ego? :rotfl: Are you mad? Most of these shows are massive moneymakers. They are making an enoormous profit on this tour as a whole. It's legendary. Most major tours end of having some sort of rerouting or cancelled shows, even MJ has to cancel shows before! Just because a stadium isn't packed so tight that no one can breath or there is an upper tier not used does not mean a failed show or that it's at a loss. Why would a promotor pay Madonna the same amount of money (or close to) to do an arena show of 15,000 people and have every seat filled when they can sell twice as many tickets at a stadium and who cares if there are some free seats or not. If you were to use this logic than almost every single show in the history of touring would be a failure and that includes arena and stadiums shows. I really wish billboard or rollingstone would do some indepth education piece or informative article on touring because so many people just don't get it. It's really fustrating! :drama:

^ oh dear, half empty stadiums and live nation worried, only playing stadiums for Madonna's ego? :rotfl: Are you mad? Most of these shows are massive moneymakers. They are making an enoormous profit on this tour as a whole. It's legendary. Most major tours end of having some sort of rerouting or cancelled shows, even MJ has to cancel shows before! Just because a stadium isn't packed so tight that no one can breath or there is an upper tier not used does not mean a failed show or that it's at a loss. Why would a promotor pay Madonna the same amount of money (or close to) to do an arena show of 15,000 people and have every seat filled when they can sell twice as many tickets at a stadium and who cares if there are some free seats or not. If you were to use this logic than almost every single show in the history of touring would be a failure and that includes arena and stadiums shows. I really wish billboard or rollingstone would do some indepth education piece or informative article on touring because so many people just don't get it. It's really fustrating! :drama:

I love how you see the bright side of EVERYTHING Madonna related, but you really take sycophant loon to a new level. Of course they are making tons of money off the tour. I never denied that. I was just pointing out there obvious GREED.....and Madonna's EGO. There's nothing epic about the scope of this show, that it needs to be in a stadium. FACT.

They would have made just as much money, and probably more, if they had kept it in arenas. 30 thousand people in an arena looks a lot better than 30 thousand people in an 80 thousand seat stadium.

It's great that we have you here to constantly educate us all on the ins and outs of the touring business. :thumbsup:

No one is hating on her...at least i'm not. The fact is, she's oversaturated europe with this tour, and the global recession is playing a factor as well. S&S will have a huge gross when all is said and done, but i'm sure LN isn't thrilled with half empty stadiums, and cancelled shows. The only reason S&S is playing in stadiums, is to feed Madonna's EGO, and Live Nations, GREED. If they had stuck to arenas, they wouldn't be having all of these problems.

Half empyty stadiums is quite an exaggeration, don't you think. You are focusing on a handful of shows when the big picture is staggering and massive. About $400 million in total gross, 3,500,000 spectators - 260,000+ in Argentina, 300,000 in Brazil, 200,000+ in Spain, 118,000 in Italy, 195,000 in France, 145,000 in the UK, 80,000 each in Norway, Finland & Estonia, more massive crowds expected in Sweden, Poland, Israel, etc. Do you think she can achieve these numbers by playing arenas? NO WAY!!! We're not even counting the tour merchandise being sold. The bigger the audience, the more merchandise sold. And in some countries, they had sponsors. LN not thrilled with this record-breaking, history-making tour? Are you kidding? LN and Madonna will be popping champagne bottles when this tour is over. S&S did not underachieve, it overachieved in every sense of the word. I can't understand how anyone can dispute the success of this tour.

Half empyty stadiums is quite an exaggeration, don't you think. You are focusing on a handful of shows when the big picture is staggering and massive. About $400 million in total gross, 3,500,000 spectators - 260,000+ in Argentina, 300,000 in Brazil, 200,000+ in Spain, 118,000 in Italy, 195,000 in France, 145,000 in the UK, 80,000 each in Norway, Finland & Estonia, more massive crowds expected in Sweden, Poland, Israel, etc. Do you think she can achieve these numbers by playing arenas? NO WAY!!! We're not even counting the tour merchandise being sold. The bigger the audience, the more merchandise sold. And in some countries, they had sponsors. LN not thrilled with this record-breaking, history-making tour? Are you kidding? LN and Madonna will be popping champagne bottles when this tour is over. S&S did not underachieve, it overachieved in every sense of the word. I can't understand how anyone can dispute the success of this tour.

Did you read what I wrote? Or are you here to add another tongue to her ass?

Guest boytoyville

I love how you see the bright side of EVERYTHING Madonna related, but you really take sycophant loon to a new level. Of course they are making tons of money off the tour. I never denied that. I was just pointing out there obvious GREED.....and Madonna's EGO. There's nothing epic about the scope of this show, that it needs to be in a stadium. FACT.

They would have made just as much money, and probably more, if they had kept it in arenas. 30 thousand people in an arena looks a lot better than 30 thousand people in an 80 thousand seat stadium.

It's great that we have you here to constantly educate us all on the ins and outs of the touring business. :thumbsup:

For one thing arenas don't hold 30,000 people. Most arenas are between 10-25,000 people max and there are very few 25,000 seat arenas in the world. The O2 is considered large in london and it's max is 23,000 and that is with a stage taking up little to no room. You obviosuly are not familiar with touring or what venues are suited well for which events. The fact that you think arenas hold 30,000 people speaks volumes. The fact is regardless of what it "looks" like you are always going to be able to sell more tickets to accomadate more people in a stadium. Madonna can outsell more than what an arena can hold in one night in any area of the world. Why would they host mutiple nights in the same city doing twice the amount of shows and work for the same amount of gross. It makes no sense to do arenas when you are a world famous act that can do healthy sales at any stadium and the booking is open.

Guest boytoyville

That could not have been said any better. Bravo! :clap:

Guest jamesshot

You cannot be serious.

When she played Houston, she did a stadium of 42,000. She would have had to do 3 or 4 shows at Toyota Center to match that. That is extra rent and extra days she has to spend in one market when just 1 day would have sufficed in the right sized venue. In fact, she SHOULD have booked Reliant Stadium in Houston because she could have easily filled it. That time, LN underestimated the demand.

LN overestimated the demand in a few markets. At her prices, it is a wonder they get half her numbers in attendance. So the economy did play some role.

If she did arena's like you suggest, to get the attendance she has in stadiums she would have to tour nonstop for 2 years. So instead of doing 86 dates, she would have to do 2 or 3 times that many dates. That is just plain stupid.

You people can believe whatever you want. The fact is, she overstaurated the european market, and over estimated the demand to see her again in less than a year. 5 stadium dates in a country with 18% UNEMPLOYMENT is what I call stupid....and greedy. I guarantee if she did a second leg in the U.S.,it would be mainly ARENAS. LN would never risk the certain humiliation of her trying to fill stadiums here. But whatever, she'll make a bundle off this tour regardless of stadium attendance.

Okay, I'm not disputing that Live Nation uses these figures mainly as PR. I mean they r a stock

holder's company..so duh.

But 4 Udine specifically, & I was there, it was in no way shape or form half empty. In fact it looked packed

& the local paper reported that morning 2000 tickets were still available.

Guest jamesshot

You people can believe whatever you want. The fact is, she overstaurated the european market, and over estimated the demand to see her again in less than a year. 5 stadium dates in a country with 18% UNEMPLOYMENT is what I call stupid....and greedy. I guarantee if she did a second leg in the U.S.,it would be mainly ARENAS. LN would never risk the certain humiliation of her trying to fill stadiums here. But whatever, she'll make a bundle off this tour regardless of stadium attendance.

If she played the same cities, yes it would be arenas. If she played different cities, say New Orleans, Dallas, Minneapolis, Memphis, St. Louis....to name a few, she could do stadiums. Fact is, in some markets, Madonna is too big for arena's but not big enough to do football stadiums. In most markets she is big enough for stadiums BUT if she wants to continue to do stadiums she is gonna have to do more hits. It is THAT simple.

She saturated the European markets no doubt but she is doing many counties she has never played before or played in many years and she is doing spectacularly in 90% of them.

If she played the same cities, yes it would be arenas. If she played different cities, say New Orleans, Dallas, Minneapolis, Memphis, St. Louis....to name a few, she could do stadiums. Fact is, in some markets, Madonna is too big for arena's but not big enough to do football stadiums. In most markets she is big enough for stadiums BUT if she wants to continue to do stadiums she is gonna have to do more hits. It is THAT simple.

She saturated the European markets no doubt but she is doing many counties she has never played before or played in many years and she is doing spectacularly in 90% of them.

& change her format a bit..not for me..but a large section of the general public who buy a ticket cuz

it's 'Madonna' feel a bit unengaged by her spectacle.

You are definitely exaggerating. The tour is a massive success and no one could ever deny it. Even her detractors couldn't.

It really does amaze me that after having the accepted industry standard explained to them countless times, some people still insist on claiming that they know better! Each of the figures listed above was determined before a single ticket went on sale. LN decided how many tickets it expected to sell in the venue and then that figure was recorded. That number of tickets was then put on sale. If that original allotment of tickets sold out, then the show is, according to the industry standard, Sold Out. Whether they decide to put more tickets on sale for that particular show or not is up to LN. In most instances, they actually do decide to sell more tickets, but those tickets are considered to be above and beyond what they expected to sell. If the original allotment of tickets doesn't sell out, then the show is not, according to the industry standard, Sold Out. LN can't go back and adjust their figures to make Madonna (or any artist) look good. In Seville last year, they had to report and wear the fact that they didn't sell as many tickets as they projected that they would. For every single other show on this tour so far, they have. In fact, thousands and thousands of additional tickets have been sold, but these go unreported by LN (local media outlets tend to report them, though, as the individual venues have their own attendance figures, which they often report to the press - these are invariably higher than the official LN ones, because those reported official figures are the bare minimum number of people who attended the show).

Every Spaniard in the world could laugh at those figures and declare loudly that the Spanish shows were not sold out, but the fact is, according to the industry (i.e. the people who matter), every show was officially sold out. It doesn't matter if you personally counted 500 empty seats at the concert and took photos, because the fact is, LN didn't expect to sell those seats in the first place - if they had, it would have been a bonus. End of story.

Thanks for educating us into something we already knew.

The sight of a half empty stadium does not reinforce the megastar image of anyone. Word of mouth of the fact is out and loud.

So treasure your Boxscore data and discuss them with people of the industry (i.e. the people who matter)

Sell out equals no tickets left for most people. That's it. Lisbon: 75.000 tix put on sale and actually sold. The rest is a literary pamphlet put out by Live Nation so that their artist look good.

Guest Danny86

^You don't even have a point. Like many others said, Madonna is the only female artist who can pull numbers and prices like this. You better adjust your own meaning of "megastar". Not only that, but why would anyone who sees these shows in person would care what the "world" thinks of Madonna performing to 30,000 people instead of 50,000 in Zaragoza. Some of you make it seem if it was on par with the Rock Witchu Tour by Janet Jackson...

And I can just see the same people complaining in 2011-2012, saying that there's only interest for Madonna in Australia and Japan and that's why she's only doing Paris, London, NYC, Chicago and LA, but "back in the days" it was "amazing" that she toured so many different cities instead of the regular ones.

Well, my point isn't difficult to get, is it? You may disagree. If I wrote that it was because I heard a lot of people talking about the matter after the show. I didn´t state she was finished or she was not a megastar anymore. It wasn´t just an unqualified triumph in terms of attendance in SPAIN (it was artistically according to people's reaction to it, which is indeed good).

PD: I had Madrid in mind, not Zaragoza, a city she had not toured in almost 20 years.

Guest Danny86

No, I still don't get it. Last year Madonna performed to almost 100,000 people in Spain and this year a bit above 100k. I believe that's her largest audience on this tour for a single European country. Other than U2, who else can top that?

Well, probably Bruce or ACDC. Not many more, that's for sure.

Don´t misunderstand what I said. The numbers are good,but I was talking about the general feeling in audiences attending certain shows in a particular country rather than judging the so called failure of an otherwise fully succesful tour.

They chose venues large enough to overshadow the big success you appoint with the emptiness of their tiers.

Anyhow, 200k for a tour in Spain is great.

Guest sanctuary

Well, probably Bruce or ACDC. Not many more, that's for sure.

Don´t misunderstand what I said. The numbers are good,but I was talking about the general feeling in audiences attending certain shows in a particular country rather than judging the so called failure of an otherwise fully succesful tour.

They chose venues large enough to overshadow the big success you appoint with the emptiness of their tiers.

Anyhow, 200k for a tour in Spain is great.

according to the boxscore Springsteen could bring only 33000 people at the Olimpic stadium in Rome (even if the italian press said 40000) and this is a very big stadium, his capacity is 80000 for a football match.

In Udine for Springsteen there were thousands of people less than madonna, I went to the Madonna concert and I can assure you that the stadium was almost packed, I think we were at least 35000 (the local press said 40000 and for Bruce 35000)

Sorry for my english.

Guest boytoyville

^ In most markets Madonna does much better than Bruce consistantly. Madonna is the ONLY solo artist that can pull in HUGE numbers in every market in the world.

Guest boytoyville

It really does amaze me that after having the accepted industry standard explained to them countless times, some people still insist on claiming that they know better! Each of the figures listed above was determined before a single ticket went on sale. LN decided how many tickets it expected to sell in the venue and then that figure was recorded. That number of tickets was then put on sale. If that original allotment of tickets sold out, then the show is, according to the industry standard, Sold Out. Whether they decide to put more tickets on sale for that particular show or not is up to LN. In most instances, they actually do decide to sell more tickets, but those tickets are considered to be above and beyond what they expected to sell. If the original allotment of tickets doesn't sell out, then the show is not, according to the industry standard, Sold Out. LN can't go back and adjust their figures to make Madonna (or any artist) look good. In Seville last year, they had to report and wear the fact that they didn't sell as many tickets as they projected that they would. For every single other show on this tour so far, they have. In fact, thousands and thousands of additional tickets have been sold, but these go unreported by LN (local media outlets tend to report them, though, as the individual venues have their own attendance figures, which they often report to the press - these are invariably higher than the official LN ones, because those reported official figures are the bare minimum number of people who attended the show).

Every Spaniard in the world could laugh at those figures and declare loudly that the Spanish shows were not sold out, but the fact is, according to the industry (i.e. the people who matter), every show was officially sold out. It doesn't matter if you personally counted 500 empty seats at the concert and took photos, because the fact is, LN didn't expect to sell those seats in the first place - if they had, it would have been a bonus. End of story.

:clap:

Guest boytoyville

Article Mentioning Madonna's mega successful tour again this week!

http://www.billboard.com/#/events/u2-remains-atop-hot-tours-list-madonna-takes-1004001519.story

U2 Remains Atop Hot Tours List, Madonna Takes No. 2

U2 has already topped the $100 million mark in tour grosses from the "360Ë Tour" based on the box office totals reported from the first thirteen shows on the schedule. $41.4 million of that sum comes from the two markets reported during the latest reporting week, Amsterdam and Dublin. Three sellouts at Dublin's Croke Park (July 24-25, 27) totaled $28.8 million, the fourth-highest single gross on record. Heading that list is Bruce Springsteen's $38.6 million at Giants Stadium in 2003, The Spice Girls at O2 Arena in London last year with $33.8 million and the 1999 Woodstock festival which tops U2's Dublin shows by only a few thousand dollars.

Although U2 has jumped up to No. 2 on the overall Top Tour rankings year-to-date, Madonna retains the top spot with five more European stadiums reporting totals this week from her "Sticky & Sweet Tour." One of the stadiums, Stadio Friuli in Udine, Italy had a busy two weeks hosting Madonna on July 16th and Bruce Springsteen just one week later. Both tours played to sellout crowds of more than 28,000. In addition to Stadio Friuli, Springsteen also hit five Spanish markets to close out the European leg of his "Working on a Dream Tour". He joins Madonna and U2 as the only touring artists surpassing $100 million in ticket sales so far for the year.

LOON ALERT.

He joins Madonna and U2 as the only touring artists surpassing $100 million in ticket sales so far for the year.

uhm, what is their definition of "year"? surely it hasn't reached $100M for this 2nd leg...