BOXSCORE: S&S grossed $407.7 million!!! Attended by 3.5 million people!

motherandfather03

Guest boytoyville

^ I think it's is very possible for her to hit that average. I think that some of the Scandinavian shows like you said will gross far more than the average needed. Helesinki will probably end up grossing around the 10 million mark. They have sold like 85,000 tickets and the prices for that concert were not cheap. Other big money makers will be Gothenburg, Oslo,Munich,Cophenhagen,Tel Aviv,Sofia(almost at full capacity), and Tallin( over 70,000 tickets sold). The other two dates with a lot of potential are Bucharest and Warsaw because the expected numerous are supposedly extremely high in terms of attendance but of course we will not know until the boxscores are posted.

Guest jamesshot

What about St. Petersburg? I haven't heard a peep about how that show is doing. It should be a high money maker, right?

Guest boytoyville

Well if it does anything like the Moscow date on the Confessions tour it will end up doing over 5 million but like you said not much has surfaced regarding tickets sold, promotion or anything really leading up to the even thus far.

Guest boytoyville
What about St. Petersburg? I haven't heard a peep about how that show is doing. It should be a high money maker, right?

Stats for Saint Petersburg show as of 6-6-2009

http://2m-online.ru/news/detail.php?ID=5319

Total tickets put up for sale: 55,000

Tickets sold thus far: 48,000 (As of 6/6/09)

The attendance it already more than 10,000 people than the performance in Moscow for the Confessions Tour and surely it will end up grossing more than the 5+ million that show did so it looks like it will be a great success!

Thanks to Beautiful Stranger for this update!

Thanks to Beautiful Stranger for this update on the Moscow show.

On June 6, Russian website 2M said the St. Petersberg show had sold 48,000 tickets of its 55,000 total (87%), with 7,000 tickets remaining for purchase.

http://www.2m-online.ru/news/detail.php?ID=5319

(it's in Russian though)

Also, someone on UKMix had posted the ticket allotments for each section of the St. Petersberg show and the prices of them. The highest price tickets ($967) are slightly more than the highest ones when Confessions played Moscow ($932), and this show has about 15,000 more tickets than the Moscow one - so the gross should be AT LEAST what that one did = $5.6 million, but most likely more. This is purely speculation since I don't have a legitimate source but the total (if she sold every ticket) would get her a gross of about $7.5 million for that performance (according to the UKMix numbers).

Of course, Live Nation could report something very different when all is said and done.

EDIT: Oh, sorry Boytoyville. I took too long researching to post this.

Guest boytoyville

^ hehe it's ok. Great estimates. Do you know if those 900+ dollar tix are VIP packes or face vaule just for the seats. That is what makes the boxscore difference because if it's a VIP package and the actual ticket vaule lets say is 400 dollars than the 400 ticket value is what gets reported to the boxscore, not the 900+ value. I think I remember when the Moscow date was reported for Confessions the ticket range was like 37.50-420 dollars or something which is why I ask?

^ hehe it's ok. Great estimates. Do you know if those 900+ dollar tix are VIP packes or face vaule just for the seats. That is what makes the boxscore difference because if it's a VIP package and the actual ticket vaule lets say is 400 dollars than the 400 ticket value is what gets reported to the boxscore, not the 900+ value. I think I remember when the Moscow date was reported for Confessions the ticket range was like 37.50-420 dollars or something which is why I ask?

Well, here is what I have in my records from the Moscow boxscore that was reported on October 4, 2006:

# 3 Madonna @ Luzhniki Stadium (Moscow, Russia)

September 12 (1 show, 1 sellout)

37,939 /37,939

$5,548,998 ($55.96/$932.59)

The Next Adventure

So it looks like the HIGHEST face value ticket was indeed $932.59. That is what that means, right? I could be wrong.

Guest boytoyville

^ Nope that is correct. Great information. Thank you. Indeed that is the face value. Holy expensive tickets. Where are these 900+ seats located?

^ Nope that is correct. Great information. Thank you. Indeed that is the face value. Holy expensive tickets. Where are these 900+ seats located?

For that kind of money they better be good - like in her panties or some shit. I think in Russia you can get away with price gouging because it is so corrupt there.

I thought I remembered seeing the lay-out for St. Petersberg on some site, and I want to say that the most expensive tickets were actually in a box-seating area to the right of the stage - so they weren't even front row or in "the pit" so to speak. I think they might actually be cordoned off for famous or really wealthy people who can enjoy the show in a zone with perks and luxuries without having to deal with "riff raff." Of course, in my experience, the riff raff are always the more fun and rowdy. I can't tell you how many Madonna shows I have been to where the back of the arena has more spunk than the front - I think they are just happy to be there no matter what.

• 2 weeks later...

backstage most probably, with the chance to wear her wigs...

Guest Danny86

New Boxscores!!!

4 Madonna, Paul Oakenfold Stadio San Siro

Milan, Italy

July 14, 2009

$6,507,798

55,338 /

1 /

$209.81, $76.93

Live Nation Global Touring/Live Nation Italy

5 Madonna, Paul Oakenfold Estadio Olimpico

Barcelona, Spain

July 21, 2009

$5,010,557

44,811 /

1 /

$247.40, $68.92

Live Nation Global Touring/Live Nation Spain

6 Madonna, Paul Oakenfold Estadio Vicente Calderon

Madrid, Spain

July 23, 2009

$4,109,791

31,941 /

1 /

$263.33, $60.49

Live Nation Global Touring/Live Nation Spain

9 Madonna, Paul Oakenfold Stadio Friuli

Udine, Italy

July 16, 2009

$3,236,277

28,362 /

1 /

$181.34, $76.72

Live Nation Global Touring/Live Nation Italy

18 Madonna, Paul Oakenfold Recinto Feria

Zaragoza, Spain

July 25, 2009

$2,015,381

30,940 /

1 /

$330.23, $27.04

Live Nation Global Touring/Music Community

Guest boytoyville

so zaragoza counts as a sold out???????? what???? :lmao: 35.000 people in a place of 50.000 is not sold out!

It doesn't mean that the promoter "officially" released 50,000 tickets. There are standards set in place for these boxscores to be verified at billboard so they are correct. This is why I never understand the doubters. Every single show has sold out on this tour except Sevilla. Spain was a success and would have been anyway regardless if the shows sold out or not. The promoters may have not made as much money as they would have liked but they still do fine and way better then when they promote almost every other act in the world. People shouldn't trust a lot of these "dubious" local news sites about slagging ticket sale here and there because the vast majoirty of the time they are not true.

It doesn't mean that the promoter "officially" released 50,000 tickets. There are standards set in place for these boxscores to be verified at billboard so they are correct. This is why I never understand the doubters. Every single show has sold out on this tour except Sevilla. Spain was a success and would have been anyway regardless if the shows sold out or not. The promoters may have not made as much money as they would have liked but they still do fine and way better then when they promote almost every other act in the world. People shouldn't trust a lot of these "dubious" local news sites about slagging ticket sale here and there because the vast majoirty of the time they are not true.

I actually think these "sell-outs" are quite suspect. I'd really like to know what standards Live Nation and Billboard are using. After all, there isn't really an independent verifier like Soundscan when it comes to Boxscores.

Anyway, glad to have the numbers! Can't wait for the next round - they are likely to be huge!

Guest jamesshot

Well yes some of those numbers are kinda low. I thought Zaragoza actually did around 35,000? Udine was waaaay lower than I thought it would be. 28,000 in a stadium?

Milan's numbers are really good though. Barcelona isn't bad. I think it is a stretch to call Udine and Madrid sell outs though.

Guest Danny86

I think LN just intentionally sets the numbers very low to get an immaculate run. I'm sure they sold more in Udine, but those sales are not reported in the total gross. It's just a game they play.

Next week's should indeed look a lot better than this, but after the Denmark show, we're gonna see a lot of low numbers I guess.

so she will be back in spain, after all!!! great! (I doubt it, the promoters must feel a little bit scared yet, because it finally worked, but...)

Guest boytoyville

I think LN just intentionally sets the numbers very low to get an immaculate run. I'm sure they sold more in Udine, but those sales are not reported in the total gross. It's just a game they play.

Next week's should indeed look a lot better than this, but after the Denmark show, we're gonna see a lot of low numbers I guess.

The numbers will stay be pretty big. Munich will gross a lot. It's sold very well and the ticket prices are very expensive. The shows in Israel are also going to be big grosses as the tickets are very expensive. Golden circle is 600 US dollars. Also even if the tickets are a little lower in Poland, they are still selling 70+ thousand for it I believe. Sofia was all sold out at one point and then they opened more tickets. All the numbers should be very nice from here on out. Also I don't believe Live Nations "sets low numbers" intentionally. It's not that simple. They can adjust amount of tickets available to be higher if they choose to release more but it's not set in stone. They they wouldn't set a low random number for any market...thats just not how it works.

Guest Danny86

I meant attendance numbers. Poland and Israel are the exceptions, I was referring to Prague, Ljubljana, Budapest, Belgrade and Bucharest. Some of them will be close to Madrid numbers.

I don't think there's any other explanation than LN setting the number low. Even Bercy was was 2,000 less than on the CT, and we know how Cardiff "lost" more than 20,000 between the CT and the S&ST show, the stage is not THAT different. They knew the demand was not the same and adjusted the ticket supply to that.

I just think using a stadium for 30,000 attendance is luxury, and it's clear LN is more interested in being able to say "Madonna sold out 3 stadiums in Italy within 10 months." But that's just business.

Guest boytoyville

I just thought I would point out how great the tour did in Milan. The gross was 800,000 more dollars than Rome and they sold 2,000 less tickets. They must have had a higher average ticket price in Milan than Rome and 55,000 at San Siro really is pretty much every seat and standing place sold for an end stage production. Milan loves Madonna!

So round 2 has grossed around 39M so far, right?

Yes.

According to my tables, The Sticky & Sweet Tour has amassed $309.5 million to date (counting the 2008 leg, of course). Due to the lower than expected numbers for Udine and Zaragoza, she now needs to hit a $5.05 million average (per show remaining in the schedule) to hit $400 million worldwide.

If Live Nation lows the mark of what a sell out is in order to make their artist look good, as stated previously, their task is only half arsed. It may look good somewhere else. But here is Spain, one can only looks those boxscores with a big WTF smile on his face. Media here WIDELY reported Madonna`s unability to sell out any of her spanish gigs and That was eventually in everyone's mouth. Tell someone who was at V. Calderon that the show was sold out according to Live Nation and Billboard and expect only laughter. Again, this will look good in the NY Times. Done with Boxscore. They do whatever they want with it. Not that reliable.

Guest FrozenLight

I don't care that the tour has grossed lots of money but with all the respect someone of Madonna's status and fame selling "only" 28K in Udine, 31k in Madrid (this is Madrid after all and she hasn't been there in almost 20 years!!), 30K in Zara...honestly it's not impressive. Especially the Madrid's numbers...in fact even Barcelona is not impressive when you think that Bruce Springsteen sold-out 2 times the Camp Mou stadium on his last tour and U2 did the same thing.

Sure LN and Madonna are making money but those numbers are nothing to brag about. Say if it was for a singer like Beyonce or Whitney Houston it would be considered extremely good but for someone of Madonna's fame it's rather low. And Live Nation really needs to cut the non-sense of putting 28K tickets for sale in a stadium and calling it sold-out!! If they can't sell what the stadium capacity is then they need to book an arena instead from the very beginning

Guest Danny86

^Exactly, and no matter how you cut it, no other female artist could pull those numbers. They wouldn't even think of scheduling stadiums in Udine and Zaragoza.

U2, Rolling Stones and I guess Bruce are in a different league and Madonna never competed with them anyway. And do we all forget that the EU leg of BAT was a lot less successful, they had to downsize venues, cancel dates, couldn't even sell out the HBO show... But that was her supposed "peak" years.

The world is in a global recession, and Spain has 18% UNEMPLOYMENT. There's no way she was gonna fill up stadiums at her prices.

That plus the fact that she did 5 shows in Spain in less than a year!