John MCcain Campaign Calls Madonnas show "Divisive"

glittercandy

Guest jamesshot
I guess I just don't see McCain as anywhere near as bad as Hitler, and neither do many people. I'm not defending his war stance or the people that support it, but I guess I can tell a clear distinction when I see it.

Nearly every major world leader has had a hand in innocents dying in some way. Bill Clinton sent airstrikes that killed innocent people in Bosnia in the 1990's but he did a lot of good things for the world too. Lyndon Johnson signed the civil rights act into law, but he also sent thousands of U.S. soldiers to their death in Vietnam (not to mention the millions of Vietnamese who died in that war). FDR was probably the greatest U.S. president ever but he also was responsible for the bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshimo - some of the worst killings of innocent civilians ever.

Would she think of putting them in a video next to Hitler? Probably not.

FDR did not bomb those Japanese cities, Truman did.

Guest dicktracy

Is Madonna maybe trying to redeem herself for pulling her American Life video?

Anyway, she has an opinion, some may not like it but she's entitled to it. The McCain campaign compared Obama to Britney and Paris. It was ridiculous too. In the campaing's words, they are all celebrities and that's enough in common apparently to run a national tv ad about it.

On the other hand Madonna's concert is designed for a select audience that is willing to pay for its high prices and that is most likely liberal. For her to compare McCain to Hitler based solely on both "being stupid" (in her opinion) is just as silly as McCain's campaing tactics....

However, it is hipocritical for the campaign to criticize her for doing exactly what they did. If you can't handle stupid comparison, don't be the first to draw them.

I have not seen the footage. I'll wait to see it live. It sounds silly and miscalculated but I will not judge it until I see it.

It is very likely that this is the nail on the coffin of her radio career in America. She'll continues to sell albums (albeit less than it the past... it has already happened), she'll still sell her concerts, and make plenty of headlines. Whatever. She has done more than enough to not give a shit.

We'll see if her opinion was misinformed or if she had it right after McCain is elected and finishes his term(s). If Obama doesn't win of course.

The video segment was also condemned by Mr Obama's campaign, but they did not miss the opportunity to attack their rival's attack adverts. "These comparisons are outrageous and offensive and have no place in the political process," Obama campaign spokesman Tommy Vietor said. "We hope that John McCain will offer a similar condemnation as his allies increasingly practice sleazy swift boat tactics."

So now Madonna has been criticized by Obama--or at least by his official spokesperson.

I wonder how this will play with the pro-Obama fans. I predict that they will try to dismiss it as just "what he had to say," but when you use the words "outrageous" and "offensive" to describe someone, as Obama's camp is doing with respect to Madonna, that constitutes a fairly harsh condemnation, which many Madonna fans would ordinarily not like very much at all.

Kaine: Madonna Concert Montage is ‘Stupid’

by Associated Press

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Facebook Stumble Upon del.icio.us Digg Email

RICHMOND, Va. — Governor Tim Kaine said Madonna’s allusion in a concert video to Republican John McCain alongside Adolf Hitler is “stupid.”

But Kaine said Tuesday that Democrat Barack Obama has no duty to comment on what a pop star is saying about political figures in her new “Sticky and Sweet” concert tour.

In his monthly call-in show on Washington’s WTOP radio, Kaine said he was unaware of the video montage. Played as part of the concert, the montage grouped McCain’s picture alongside those of Hitler and Zimbabwe’s dictator, Robert Mugabe.

When a caller to the show from Warrenton asked Kaine about it, he replied that if anyone is making that kind of characterization, “they’re stupid and it’s wrong.”

So now Madonna has been criticized by Obama--or at least by his official spokesperson.

I wonder how this will play with the pro-Obama fans. I predict that they will try to dismiss it as just "what he had to say," but when you use the words "outrageous" and "offensive" to describe someone, as Obama's camp is doing with respect to Madonna, that constitutes a fairly harsh condemnation, which many Madonna fans would ordinarily not like very much at all.

Who gives a fuck what they said? Madonna made them both publicly talk about her and the tour. She's the winner. This is not about who we vote for or who will win the election.

Who gives a fuck what they said? Madonna made them both publicly talk about her and the tour. She's the winner. This is not about who we vote for or who will win the election.

Exactly. They walked right into her little trap with this "controversy"...lol....gotta give the girl props. No matter what Tim Kaine says, she's obviously NOT stupid.

And obviously Obama's camp are going to use harsh words to condemn the video, if they didn't it would sound like he's half way supporting it which would be absolutely stupid on his part at this moment.

The real winner is McCain. This episode allows him to reinforce their linkage of Obama to the world of celebrity--as he has done in so many of his ads--and specifically to a celebrity who is seen very negatively by most Americans. It also allows McCain to appear as a sympathetic victim of an unfair Hitler comparison in the minds of many Americans.

This was certainly no favor to Obama.

FDR did not bomb those Japanese cities, Truman did.

I didn't say he gave the order, I said he was responsible - if even in part. He help start the Manhattan Project (with Albert Eistein of all people) which had the purpose of building the atomic bomb for use in ending the war once and for all.

So a pop concert getting airtime on CNN is more important than the next election that will in large part decide what the future of the entire planet will be? God even Madonna would be shocked at the suggestion.

Like Obama isn't secretly thankful. :lol:

I obviously don't know, but I don't think he is. It's not like Madonna helped Wesley Clark get the nomination when she endorsed him. And her anti-Bush statements didn't help Kerry in 2004 either.

To be fair though, I don't think Obama belongs in a video with Gandhi either. What the fuck has Obama done yet anyway? Granted, he is the first African-American to win a major party nomination in the U.S. and that is history in itself, but can we let him finish his first term and accomplish something more far-reaching before we declare him a saint of the world?

By the way, I am not saying Madonna can't do what she wants in a video interlude. I just think it is ok for some of us to voice opinions that we don't agree with her choices. I'm not selling my concert ticket now or anything.

New York Times

Editorial

So Far Over the Line

Published: August 26, 2008

One of the hallmarks of the global digital age is that anyone with a computer can participate in the political debate. That can be wonderful. Or it can be appalling, like the new video Madonna is showing on her tour.

It shows a montage of genocide (a Nazi death camp, Asian and African killing fields) and faces of evil and oppression (Adolf Hitler, Ayatollah Khomeini, Robert Mugabe). Then it cuts to Mike Huckabee, who ran for the Republican nomination, and Senator John McCain, who is about to become the official Republican nominee.

This year’s presidential campaign has already been marked by far too much negative advertising, with coded racial images and sophomoric insults. It was outrageous when Mr. McCain’s campaign juxtaposed Mr. Obama with Paris Hilton and Britney Spears as part of its effort to denigrate him as a person, rather than debating him on this country’s huge problems.

Madonna’s video is immeasurably worse. If she thought she was helping Mr. Obama by juxtaposing his image with that of Gandhi and Bono, she was wrong.

We do not subscribe to the “shut up and sing” notion that celebrities should stay out of politics — a position most often espoused by Republicans about stars who support Democrats. There is no room in decent discourse for comparing a candidate for president to Hitler.

Tucker Bounds, a McCain spokesman, was exactly right when he called the video “outrageous” and “unacceptable.” Mr. Obama’s team also swiftly denounced it. “These comparisons are outrageous and offensive and have no place in the political process,” said a spokesman, Tommy Vietor. But it was a distressing sign of how low the political debate has gotten this year that neither side could resist using the moment to hurl more mud.

“It clearly shows that when it comes to supporting Barack Obama, his fellow worldwide celebrities refuse to consider any smear or attack off limits,” added Mr. Bounds of the McCain campaign. And Mr. Vietor could not resist his own gratuitous jab. “We hope that John McCain will offer a similar condemnation as his allies increasingly practice sleazy Swift boat tactics,” he said.

At least the song Madonna was performing during the video was aptly named: “Get Stupid.”

» A version of this article appeared in print on August 27, 2008, on page A22 of the New York edition.

:lmao: only a Madonna show would cause such worldwide political debate :lmao: shes gone and done it again, and early reports suggested this show didnt contain any controversial momements hahaha

Actually I think its typically Madonnish of her to show this video. Isnt she the sole representator of a democratic values? Coming from rugs, making it alone to the very top, being outspoken, tal;king about equality, gayrights, freedome of speech etc... It isnt shoking, its something I would expect from her. She has always spoken of her mind and she deffinately wont stop now. She has always had clear prefferences, obvious at least since WTG tour.

Please....

Since Im a Rep and deviated from my party this year to vote for HILARY-

Im NOT interested in OBAMA whatsoever. Hes an IDIOT with NO EXP at all!

I think HILARY was cheated cuz of those stupid caucaus delegates from the small states

9 of the TOP 10 BIGGEST CITIES in AMERICA voted for HILARY

1) New York, Los Angeles, Philly, Houston, Dallas, San Diego, Phoenix and San Antonio

He one only his home state-#3 city "Chicago"

Hilary should be the president. Im pissed and Im voting McCain!

Guest Azelover

I just think it's funny so many people think it makes a difference. There's overwhelming evidence the elections are rigged anyway, and it's not the Republicans fault. Democrat, Republican, they're almost the same thing underneath, it's just the front that is different. Clinton is often called one of the most Republican presidents the USA has ever had, he passed some amazingly harmful things and it was under him that the concentration camps started being built.

Eventually some USA president is gonna use them, but it was the same government which had planned it anyway, it had nothing to do with Clinton. The people that don't change are behind the scenes, David Rockefeller, the Rothschilds, etc. Those people make the real, non-exposed government. Watch the Aaron Russo film "America freedom to fascim" which is free on google video, the name could scare you but it's actually only a deeper exposure of the IRS and the Federal Reserve Bank, including its history and what they really do. It's very interesting and provides a lot of impressive evidence. It's unbelievable how deep the rabbit hole goes, but that film is a good place to start and you don't even have to go deeper, it only talks about what we all need and can agree on instantly: money.

Well here's a little dose of that missing controversy that some of the reviewers were bitching about. Not exactly a "cross" or "masturbation scene" type ordeal but once this hits the US around election time, maybe it'll blow up some?? lol

oh my goodness- that just dawned on me 2 when i read this. press should be crazy. she'll be in san diego on election night.

I don't care about Obama, I don't care about McCain... But it seems that with McCain as the president, there are some bad things supposed to happen (like that war with Russia). I do believe that the US people and Russian people do not want it, it's their goverments that do... Well, I'm not talking about Russian goverment here 'cause it'd stupid if Russia wanted to start a war against the US...

Guest BytheBay
Please....

Since Im a Rep and deviated from my party this year to vote for HILARY-

Im NOT interested in OBAMA whatsoever. Hes an IDIOT with NO EXP at all!

I think HILARY was cheated cuz of those stupid caucaus delegates from the small states

9 of the TOP 10 BIGGEST CITIES in AMERICA voted for HILARY

1) New York, Los Angeles, Philly, Houston, Dallas, San Diego, Phoenix and San Antonio

He one only his home state-#3 city "Chicago"

Hilary should be the president. Im pissed and Im voting McCain!

not that this is political thread but your comments are so ridiculous they have to be recognized

way to vote for the issues rather than the person. you're a joke

obama is no prize pig but he's closer to hilary on the issues than mccain.

so you're basically saying you were only voting for hilary based on the fact of who she was rather

than what she stood for and that like most americans (and i am one so i can say this) you care less about

the political process of this country and more about getting your way.

you should watch the get stupid video. its aimed at people JUST LIKE YOU.

not that this is political thread but your comments are so ridiculous they have to be recognized

so you're basically saying you were only voting for hilary based on the fact of who she was rather

than what she stood for and that like most americans (and i am one so i can say this) you care less about

i love you!!!

:thumbsup:

:chuckle:

Please post more often!

BAM. Now that's what I'm talking about!

I love that! Copy and paste this shit into the elections thread, those people are nuts over there!