John MCcain Campaign Calls Madonnas show "Divisive"

glittercandy

Okay so I only read the post then like the first 7 or so responses.

Here's my opinion: It's an election year... period. Everything is going to be fair game when it comes to either side of the fence. I kinda find it funny that McCain would even bother to release some type of statement on this, I would think he & his camp have more smearing to gear up for. Sure it probably was a little over the top to put him in the same realm as Adolf, but that's probably what it's meant to do...and there are people who are going to view it that way. I don't see McCain is being any better than Bush....

This election year it turning out to be a bust....imo

Edited by XtremeMadFan

McCain camp lashes 'outrageous' Madonna

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080825/ts_af...tainmentmadonna

DENVER, COLORADO (AFP) - John McCain's campaign has hit back at Madonna after the pop diva kicked off her world tour with a concert that bracketed the US presidential candidate with Adolf Hitler.

McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds angrily condemned the segment of Madonna's concert in Cardiff on Saturday that appeared to draw a comparison between McCain, Hitler and Zimbabwean strongman Robert Mugabe.

"The comparisons are outrageous, unacceptable and crudely divisive all at the same time," Bounds said in a statement reported by Fox News.

"It clearly shows that when it comes to supporting Barack Obama, his fellow worldwide celebrities refuse to consider any smear or attack off limits."

Madonna's apparent swipe at McCain came during a performance of the song "Get Stupid", when the Republican contender's image was flashed up alongside images of destruction and global warming as well as Hitler and Mugabe.

Towards the end of the song, pictures of Beatles star John Lennon, former US vice-president Al Gore, Indian Mahatma Gandhi and McCain's Democrat rival Barack Obama appeared.

Some of you clearly don't know who Hitler was. It seems that M doesn't either. Sorry but putting someone next to Hitler is not saying they are both supid, even if the there are words "get stupid" in the background. If you don't understand it come to Auschwitz.

M is a great enertainer, and she sould stick to it and stay away from politics. Otherwise she will continue to make an idtiot of herself.

:rolleyes: at the amount of people taking this SO seriously. It was a GREAT video and the musical remix was excellent. In the context, she was mentioning people that did STUPID things in her opinion, among them McCain and Mugabe. The words were actually from The Beat Goes On, if I remember correctly, and it made a lot of sense! It's telling people to THINK and make whatever it's possible to STOP stupid things from happening (e.g. electing McCain among them).

Now, if the American media and candidates want to politise this and give it more relevance than due -as usual-, well, let it will be.

GOd talk about people getting their knickers in a twist over NOTHING

I thought the US was built on freedom of speech ? Its her show, is her opinion, deal with it

Well its not the first time. Remember RIT and CT? both had similar videos but they didnt hurt her career in any way. Why should she care about it now? i think after Hard Candy sales in the US have proved that US is over Madonna and she should just give up on US market.

When this tour go to America, Madonna will have an "American Life" Vol.2 era. :scared:

And I don't like it. :confused:

I still don't get it. Would it be okay if she'd have put him up there after he becomes president?

Cuz that's exactly what she did 2 years ago on the Don't Speak interlude with Condi and Bush, and no one seemed to hav a problem with that.

I guess it's cool and rock-and-roll to dig on a president when he's already one, but not before ? :shrug:

Well, I remember you this tour hits the US around election time(that not happened during CT), so it will cause major drama. FACT.

I was bitching because I didn't see any controversy in this tour saturday night (because I love MADONNA controversies), but now I expect the major backlash that Madonna (and us) have ever seen on her career.

Guest BytheBay
McCain camp lashes 'outrageous' Madonna

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080825/ts_af...tainmentmadonna

DENVER, COLORADO (AFP) - John McCain's campaign has hit back at Madonna after the pop diva kicked off her world tour with a concert that bracketed the US presidential candidate with Adolf Hitler.

McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds angrily condemned the segment of Madonna's concert in Cardiff on Saturday that appeared to draw a comparison between McCain, Hitler and Zimbabwean strongman Robert Mugabe.

"The comparisons are outrageous, unacceptable and crudely divisive all at the same time," Bounds said in a statement reported by Fox News.

"It clearly shows that when it comes to supporting Barack Obama, his fellow worldwide celebrities refuse to consider any smear or attack off limits."

Madonna's apparent swipe at McCain came during a performance of the song "Get Stupid", when the Republican contender's image was flashed up alongside images of destruction and global warming as well as Hitler and Mugabe.

Towards the end of the song, pictures of Beatles star John Lennon, former US vice-president Al Gore, Indian Mahatma Gandhi and McCain's Democrat rival Barack Obama appeared.

Good to see that McCain is focused on the important issues. You know instead of worrying about how to save the failing economy, the healthcare crisis, the Iraq war, homeless, etc etc he's focused on his split second appearance in a video of a popstar that no one from his camp has probably even seen or will ever see. But you know way to fight the good fight there McCain.

Guest Glamorama
I'm certainly not supporting McCain, but really, I must have missed his concentration camps platform.

He does not want to end the illegal occupation of Iraq - an occupation that has resulted in the deaths of 650,000 Iraqis (more than were killed by Saddam).

I think the analogy with Hitler is quite appropriate.

Guest Glamorama
even if voting is secret we still have the freedom of speech. ;)

Anyone whose life was ruined during the McCarthy witchhunts would disagree.

As would anyone sent to Guantanamo concentration camp for calling for war on the west.

Some of you clearly don't know who Hitler was. It seems that M doesn't either. Sorry but putting someone next to Hitler is not saying they are both supid, even if the there are words "get stupid" in the background. If you don't understand it come to Auschwitz.

M is a great enertainer, and she sould stick to it and stay away from politics. Otherwise she will continue to make an idtiot of herself.

I think Madge should stick to music and stay away from politics as well.

Guest traherne

It pains me to admit it, but I kind of have to agree. I don't mind entertainers being political, but if you're going to do it, put some thought into it. This video is so pointlessly stupid it fails to convey any message - it just makes Madonna seem... not particularly bright.

Much ado about nothing.I don't think anyone should be shocked or surprised by Madonna's political views.She's one of the most liberal artists in pop music.I can't believe that the McCain campaign would even be paying attention to a Madonna concert,lol.Don't they have more important work to do?!

:rolleyes: at the amount of people taking this SO seriously. It was a GREAT video and the musical remix was excellent. In the context, she was mentioning people that did STUPID things in her opinion, among them McCain and Mugabe. The words were actually from The Beat Goes On, if I remember correctly, and it made a lot of sense! It's telling people to THINK and make whatever it's possible to STOP stupid things from happening (e.g. electing McCain among them).

Now, if the American media and candidates want to politise this and give it more relevance than due -as usual-, well, let it will be.

Oh look! Someone with a brain! :clap:

I should also add that maybe Madonna is ahead of the curve on this one. With all the shit going on in the world, if McCain gets in, you know he is going to be someone who is going to be quick to start dropping bombs and pushing the button. I highly doubt diplomacy is going to be one of his better traits so if he does get in and plunges us into WW3 we can all say we are sorry for getting so angry about Madonna calling him "stupid".

Amen. I love Madonna and I'm voting McCain. It's unnecessary. Madonna's art does not change/influence my vote, especially when done so tastelessly.

Well said!

People in here call us braindead because we question if it'll make Madonna look very bright to compare McCain with Hitler. But the ones being braindead are the fans that are just yay sayers to whatever she does.

Whoever think a McCain/Hitler comparison is bright must be really stupid.

I do hope that Madonna is smarter than this though (I believe she is) and that this is just a way for her to influence some of her dumbed-down fans to actually think McCain is just as bad as Hitler to make them support Obama or whatever.

But if the comparison wasn't meant to be something like that, but her own thoughts, then politics are just not her agenda.

Guest BytheBay
Well said!

People in here call us braindead because we question if it'll make Madonna look very bright to compare McCain with Hitler. But the ones being braindead are the fans that are just yay sayers to whatever she does.

Whoever think a McCain/Hitler comparison is bright must be really stupid.

I do hope that Madonna is smarter than this though (I believe she is) and that this is just a way for her to influence some of her dumbed-down fans to actually think McCain is just as bad as Hitler to make them support Obama or whatever.

But if the comparison wasn't meant to be something like that, but her own thoughts, then politics are just not her agenda.

have you actually seen the video? not the youtube crappy compairison but the actual video?

or for that matter, have any of you naysayers seen it?

Guest BytheBay

Its also interesting that in the barrage of images in that section, the only one to complain is McCain and his sycophants

the end of the song, pictures of Beatles star John Lennon, former US vice-president Al Gore, Indian Mahatma Gandhi and McCain's Democrat rival Barack Obama appeared.

How come nobody complained about the "comparison" (provided it is actually a comparison) of Gandhi with Obama, for example? If we follow the same thought process as we did with Hitler/McCain we should also be outraged about this too, I think.

This story is everywhere..... and everybody is hating Madonna to compare McCain with Hitler.

I think Madonna has shoot herself like she did during "American Life" era.

So expect Madonna to be blacklisted in USA again.