NBC undecided about M crucifixion. LTT cut out?

Camacho

Guest Beautiful Stranger
OR MAYBE MADONNA'S ASS NEEDS TO GET OFF HER DAMN HIGH HORSE AND IN HER OWN WORDS LET IT WILL BE FUCKING CBS IS LOADED HER ASS WITH MONEY SHE NEEDS TO KEEP HER DAMN MOUTH SHUT FOR ONCE.

Why should she give in? :manson:

Guest Joey's Hung Up On Madonna
Why should she give in? :manson:

The cross isn't the only highlight of the show. And seriously, we've been there done that with CBS and Madonna seriously needs to realize she can't have everything she wants.

Guest Beautiful Stranger
The cross isn't the only highlight of the show. And seriously, we've been there done that with CBS and Madonna seriously needs to realize she can't have everything she wants.

But why should she allow herself to be censored in a free country when she doesn't have to be and sacrifice some artistic integrity?

I agree with Madonna. That performance is one of the main events of the show so Madonna should pull the show if the network wimps out. This is what I love about her....she does not back down.

uh yeah, that explains that crappy ass flag video we got for American Life, when the original was truly epic....

Guest Beautiful Stranger
uh yeah, that explains that crappy ass flag video we got for American Life, when the original was truly epic....

You know, it is *possible* that she really did pull the video in the US out of respect for the soldiers. Its pretty obvious she would know/did know, after 20 years in the business, that not having a video for your album lead-off single would damage the commercial potential of that album, yet she pulled the AL clip anyway.

You know, it is *possible* that she really did pull the video in the US out of respect for the soldiers. Its pretty obvious she would know/did know, after 20 years in the business, that not having a video for your album lead-off single would damage the commercial potential of that album, yet she pulled the AL clip anyway.

uh ok, personally i don't see anything remotely disrespectful towards the soldiers in that video though...

AL was screwed from the beggining anyway; if Madonna truly had a "message" to get across (as usual) she wouldn't have pulled the AL video which is hypocritical but what im trying to say is if she can be leniant enough to pull that she needs to be reasonable enough to pull the LTT performance if necesarry - There are alot of other highlights and inspirational messages in this tour.

Guest northernlad

Sooo you're saying since she was hypocritical AND leniant enough to pull a clip that would of garned massive attention, controversy & increased sales at the expense of the deaths, injuries & loses of thousands of people is exactly the reason why she should kiss America's conservative arsehole by removing a performance reminding everyone of the HIV genocide?

I'm beginning to think you are one of the worst things to ever happen to madonnanation.

Guest jamesshot

Ahh is just sucks the public might not get to see such a legend in concert, looking like a young 30 year old kicking ass still. It just sucks. But dammit, she isnt Madonna unless she stands her ground. That is what makes her different in many ways. As much as it pains me, if they try to cut such an obviously inoffensive scene, she should cancel the project( a sure ratings winner and CD mover!). Sigh!

Sooo you're saying since she was hypocritical AND leniant enough to pull a clip that would of garned massive attention, controversy & increased sales at the expense of the deaths, injuries & loses of thousands of people is exactly the reason why she should kiss America's conservative arsehole by removing a performance reminding everyone of the HIV genocide?

I'm beginning to think you are one of the worst things to ever happen to madonnanation.

I'm not following you at all? You're going to have to make sense for me to take you seriously. And the network is paying her a lot of money, so if I were I would fight as hard as I could, but in the end, I'd realize there was more to my show then a mock crucifixtion.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=52096

HOLLYWOOD VS. AMERICA

NBC will blink over Madonna stunt

Family group sees cancellation of crucifixion performance

Posted: September 22, 2006

1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

NBC is going to blink in its standoff with Christians over its decision to broadcast a "Confessions Tour" crucifixion stunt performed by Madonna, according to an organization that has been campaigning against the program.

"NBC does not want a fight with AFA and the Christian community," American Family Association chairman Donald E. Wildmon said yesterday. "NBC may wiggle and wobble, but in the final analysis, they will not show that scene.

"We expect a public announcement from NBC canceling the scene within two weeks," he said.

A report in the New York Daily News said that a disagreement was developing between the performer and the network over the issue.

"The material girl may have a falling out with the Peacock network," the report said. "It seems that creative differences over a controversial crucifixion scene in Madonna's current tour could spell the end for NBC's long-planned special on her concert."

That special, which was filmed earlier this year in Wembley, England, was to have been aired in the U.S. on NBC in November, officials said earlier.

The scene features Madonna hanging on a cross wearing a fake crown of thorns, and the performer has said she considers it the highlight of her current tour. NBC Entertainment executive Kevin Reilly earlier confirmed the network reviewed it and "didn't see it as being inappropriate."

"However, his opinion changed quickly after NBC came under tremendous pressure from American Family Association and its supporters to cancel broadcasting of Madonna's blasphemous actions," AFA, a pro-family advocacy group with more than two million supporters, said.

The network told the Daily News that it was awaiting the special, and when it arrives, a "final decision" will be made.

Randy Sharp, who heads special projects for AFA, told WND the group is confident of the outcome of the dispute.

"Here's what we think is going to happen. NBC is going to say, 'We can't show it.'" Then, he said, Madonna with withdraw.

As WND reported earlier, Christians in Africa, the United Kingdom, Europe, Russia and Australia already have been offended by that part of her world-wide tour.

Just a few days ago, Wildmon had written NBC Chairman Robert Wright asking him to cancel the scheduled airing.

He noted Madonna in 1989 had a video that also mocked the crucifixion, for a song "Like A Prayer." That featured burning crosses, "statues crying blood and Madonna – representing Jesus – freeing a saint from his sexual repression by seducing him," Wildmon wrote.

The National Clergy Council also asked NBC not to broadcast what President Rev. Rob Schenck called an "obnoxious spectacle."

The group represents church leaders of Catholic, Evangelical, Orthodox and Protestant traditions.

"By sponsoring Madonna’s mockery of Christ, NBC will insult the majority of Americans and millions more around the globe," he said. "I must wonder if NBC would approve of Madonna’s mocking a major event in the life of Mohammed?”

Guest northernlad

The National Clergy Council also asked NBC not to broadcast what President Rev. Rob Schenck called an "obnoxious spectacle."

Quite, & unfortunately there's no one in mainstream journalism with the ability to say so (that's been the depressing thing about all of this - although Paula Zahn was at least slightly objective :p)

This is just ridiculous. You can call me whatever you want (and I know you will :flirt: ) but I expected differently. The cruficixtion scene is *NOT* the climax of the Confessions Tour. Are we really going through this all over again? :square: I don't have sympathy for either party, really.

I got this from mmad:

From lighthousemike:

Warner and Madonna gave power over to NBC to re edit the show as they see fit, that was a deal breaker for NBC and if Madonna did not sign on it they would pass on the offer to get the tour on their network.

Warner made it very clear how strongly Madonna feels about the cross part of her show and NBC promised to do whatever they can to leave it intact.

Early today NBC told Warner they decided NOT to air the "Live To Tell" part of the show as a respect to a wide and devoted audience.

Warner "leaked" info to the media saying Madonna will back off and won't let them air the show at all (knowing she can't really do that as shes under contract with NBC) moreover they alerted the media about a press release due out today from Madonna ahead of one from NBC due out in a few days revealing their decision.

Calls and emails to NBC to conform the news "laked" by Warner were returned late Thursday without a clear response and insisted they are still reviewing the show submitted by Warner last night.

In any case we can rest assure the show WILL air this November (22nd as of now) with or without the Cross.

Warner Music tells MADONNAdownload a DVD will be released IN FULL this December as well as an HD DVD.

The same source said "there are no planes for a RIT DVD at this time".

I got this from mmad:

From lighthousemike:

Warner and Madonna gave power over to NBC to re edit the show as they see fit, that was a deal breaker for NBC and if Madonna did not sign on it they would pass on the offer to get the tour on their network.

Warner made it very clear how strongly Madonna feels about the cross part of her show and NBC promised to do whatever they can to leave it intact.

Early today NBC told Warner they decided NOT to air the "Live To Tell" part of the show as a respect to a wide and devoted audience.

Warner "leaked" info to the media saying Madonna will back off and won't let them air the show at all (knowing she can't really do that as shes under contract with NBC) moreover they alerted the media about a press release due out today from Madonna ahead of one from NBC due out in a few days revealing their decision.

Calls and emails to NBC to conform the news "laked" by Warner were returned late Thursday without a clear response and insisted they are still reviewing the show submitted by Warner last night.

In any case we can rest assure the show WILL air this November (22nd as of now) with or without the Cross.

Warner Music tells MADONNAdownload a DVD will be released IN FULL this December as well as an HD DVD.

The same source said "there are no planes for a RIT DVD at this time".

Well you're just full of good news today, aren't you? ;)

This is just ridiculous. You can call me whatever you want (and I know you will :flirt: ) but I expected differently. The cruficixtion scene is *NOT* the climax of the Confessions Tour. Are we really going through this all over again? :square: I don't have sympathy for either party, really.

That's what Im trying to say but obviously peeople, especiallly northernlad arent getting that.

This Mormon-owned local TV station in Utah won't air it if LTT is included in the broadcast

Salt Lake Tribune

Madonna may be crossed off local TV schedule

Crucifixion segment fires protests

By Vince Horiuchi

Madonna's controversial depiction of a crucifixion during her worldwide concert tour won't be KSL's cross to bear if it airs on television in November.

The Mormon-owned TV station (Channel 5) has decided not to air an NBC broadcast of the pop singer's "Confessions Tour" concert if it includes a segment in which the Material Girl hangs on a mirrored cross wearing a crown of thorns.

"We make every effort to operate within the community standards," said KSL station manager Greg James. "This is clearly something that if the event occurs in that show it would - in my opinion - not be keeping within the [holiday] season and within community standards. And we would be compelled not to air the program."

Madonna's performance of the song "Live to Tell" has created a stir among Roman Catholics and Russian Orthodox, prompting protests, death threats and talk of criminal charges against her in Germany. She already has toured the U.S. and is now in Japan.

Bountiful resident Bruce Brand learned from the conservative, religion-based media watchdog group American Family Association that the performance could end up on TV.

So he fired off e-mails to KSL and its parent network NBC asking they not air the special.

"If you took the most sacred events of Judaism, Passover for instance . . . that would be very offensive to the Jewish people," said Brand, who is Mormon. "If you took the events of Mohammed in Islamic history and you made fun of him . . . it would be very offensive to the Muslim world."

"These are things that are sacred," he added. "To try and depict them in any other way than a sacred way is inappropriate."

An NBC spokeswoman who declined to be identified said Wednesday that no decision has been made on which part of Madonna's concert will make it to air.

"We're awaiting delivery [of the show]," she said. "Once we view it in its entirety, we'll make a decision."

Earlier this year, NBC President Kevin Reilly told television critics at their annual press tour in Pasadena that the network and the singer's camp have "discussed exactly what content will be in and what is out. And we've come to, I think, a healthy place that represents her show but is appropriate for television," he said.

He said the special, taped last month during a performance in London, will include whole numbers and not "piecemeal edits."

This wouldn't be the first time Utah television stations have pre-empted or re-scheduled programs due to racy content.

KSL has refused to air "Saturday Night Live" for its graphic content (instead, it airs on KUCW Channel 30), and an episode of "The Tonight Show" with Jay Leno because two of the guests were performers in the stage show "Puppetry of the Penis."

The station also refused to air the NBC sitcom "Coupling" because of its sexual content and an animated series about a man who talks to God called "God, the Devil and Bob."

The most recent pre-emption was last December when CBS affiliate KUTV Channel 2, which is owned by the network, delayed the airing of "The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show" to midnight because of its titillating nature.

New York Times

Conservatives Want More Religion in One NBC Show, and Less in Another

By EDWARD WYATT

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 22 — NBC has drawn protests this week from religious conservatives over the content of two television shows, but for different reasons — in one instance for excluding references to God and in the other for possibly including religious imagery.

The disputes, over the network’s proposed broadcast of a Madonna concert that includes a crucifixion scene and over its cutting religious references from the animated children’s show “VeggieTales,” have some critics charging that NBC maintains a double standard toward Christianity.

Alan Wurtzel, an NBC executive who oversees broadcast standards, said in an interview on Friday that there was no double standard. Rather, he said, the network was evaluating each show individually.

In the case of “VeggieTales,” which its creators have said “isn’t a show about values, it’s a show about God,” Mr. Wurtzel said he felt the network was being unfairly punished.

“We frequently get criticized for putting on programming that does not deal with traditional values or religious themes,” he said. “Here is a show that clearly does that, and the criticism is that we didn’t go far enough.”

“VeggieTales,” which NBC added to its Saturday morning line-up this month, was originally created for home video, and episodes of the video series routinely contain religious themes, Bible verses and statements about God’s love and purpose.

NBC secured the rights to the show as part of a children’s programming partnership called Qubo, which it formed earlier this year with Classic Media, the owner of the VeggieTales franchise; Scholastic, the children’s publisher; Ion Media Networks; and Corus Entertainment. When the deal was announced in August, the partners said the “VeggieTales” episodes would be edited to NBC programming guidelines.

Since the show went on the air, however, Phil Vischer, the co-creator of “VeggieTales,” has complained on his Internet site (www.philvischer.com) that NBC has ordered most if not all of the references to God and the Bible to be excised from the episodes prepared for NBC.

“I’m not at all happy with the edits,” Mr. Vischer wrote. “I didn’t know I’d need to make them when I agreed to produce the show, and I considered dropping out when I found out just how much would need to be removed.”

Mr. Vischer added that he had decided not to withdraw from the project “as a favor” to Classic Media.

A spokesman for the show’s parent, however, said the company would rather have an edited version on the air than nothing. Bob Smith, a spokesman for Big Idea, the unit of Classic Media that produces VeggieTales, said that despite the edits, “the thread and values we’re trying to get across is unmistakable.”

“If it weren’t,” he added, “we never would have agreed to it.”

Mr. Wurtzel said NBC did not believe it had deleted the show’s religious message; he said the network had bought the rights to “Veggie Tales” because of its positive religious themes but that it did ask for changes to comply with its standards.

“We are not a religious broadcaster,” he said. “There are universally accepted religious values that we do think are appropriate,” but the promotion of “any particular religion or a particular denomination” is not allowed.

“Clearly the show has religious themes,” Mr. Wurtzel said. “It puts forth some very specific religious values. We had to make a decision about where it went further than we considered appropriate.”

Fans of “VeggieTales” have objected that the edited versions make the message unrecognizable, and L. Brent Bozell, president of the Parents Television Council, wrote letters to NBC executives complaining about both the “VeggieTales” decision and another issue, a Madonna concert scheduled to be broadcast in November.

Kevin Reilly, president of NBC Entertainment, announced this summer that the network would broadcast a taped concert by Madonna during the November ratings sweeps period. At the time, he said the concert would be edited to exclude offensive material. But Mr. Reilly was also quoted in August as saying that the network had no problem with a part of the performance in which Madonna sings while mounted on a cross, in imitation of the Crucifixion of Jesus.

That part of Madonna’s current concert tour has drawn protests around the world from people who believe it is blasphemous or offensive to Christians. This week, after receiving letters of protest about the concert and its intentions, NBC said it had not yet decided whether to include the crucifixion scene.

A spokeswoman for Madonna, however, said Friday that the singer considered the scene crucial to the performance and could withdraw the right for NBC to televise the concert if the scene were cut.

Liz Rosenberg, a publicist at Warner Brothers Records who serves as a spokeswoman for Madonna, said in an e-mail message: “Madonna would not want this number to be censored. It is an important aspect of the show.” She said she could not immediately reach Madonna to ask if she would pull out of the concert if NBC cut the song, “but my educated guess is that she will not back down.”

Madonna also issued a statement on Thursday saying that the performance was “neither anti-Christian, sacrilegious or blasphemous.”

“Rather,” it went on to say, “it is my plea to the audience to encourage mankind to help one another and see the world as a unified whole. I believe in my heart that if Jesus were alive today, he would be doing the same thing.”

Guest jamesshot

They could leave in LTT, show only close-ups of her and show the images displayed during the song. Then when she gets down off the cross, they could show her singing. Just a thought.

Los Angeles Times

Separately, NBC has drawn criticism from Christian family groups after the network announced that it would air a Madonna concert in which she hangs in a mock crucifixion on a cross while wearing a crown of thorns. NBC is in discussions with the singer's representatives about editing the scene.

On Friday, the Mississippi-based American Family Assn. said 350,000 e-mails had been sent by its members to the network. The group accused NBC of having a double standard for refusing to air cartoons that Muslims found offensive while disregarding what Christians found objectionable.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006609230315

On Thursday, NBC Entertainment president Kevin Reilly said the cross scene will make it, but WJR-AM (760) morning man Paul W. Smith reported that Jeffrey Immelt, the CEO of NBC parent General Electric, was approached at his Detroit Economic Club speech Wednesday by someone concerned over the scene and Immelt reportedly indicated he won't allow it.

Hey, there are still two months or so to stir things up and reap the publicity. And you can bet Madonna will get paid, even if the TV show is scrapped.

Why doesn't she just give the show to Ch4 in the UK to air?

In the end thou as long all this fuss doesn't stop CT coming out on dvd I am not really

bothered if the show is aired on tv or not . A dvd with extras is more important.