NBC undecided about M crucifixion. LTT cut out?

Camacho

reuters

NBC TV undecided about Madonna mock crucifixion

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:40 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The NBC television network is still making up its mind about whether it will allow pop star Madonna to stage a mock crucifixion on its airwaves as part of her upcoming prime-time concert special.

The 48-year-old entertainer has made the crucifixion stunt, in which she performs while suspended on a giant cross wearing a crown of thorns, a centerpiece of her global "Confessions" tour.

Her stage act drew storms of protest from the Roman Catholic Church and Russian Orthodox Church during recent performances in Rome and Moscow, with church leaders condemning the mock crucifixion as blasphemy.

But executives at NBC, owned by the General Electric Co. will wait for makers of her concert special to submit the production for review before deciding whether to allow the mock crucifixion to air.

"We're awaiting the delivery of it, and once we've seen it in its entirety, we'll make a decision," an NBC spokeswoman told Reuters on Thursday. The program is slated to air in November, but no specific date has been set.

Madonna's manager, Guy Oseary, had no comment on the issue, according to an assistant in his office.

In July, when the network first unveiled plans for the Madonna concert special, NBC Entertainment President Kevin Reilly gave mixed signals about how much artistic freedom Madonna would be given. The mock crucifixion was known then to be a central part of her stage act.

"She's not revising her act," he told a gathering of TV critics at the time. "We've discussed what content will be in and what is out, and we've come to a healthy place that represents her show but is appropriate for television."

He later added: "She's going to do her show, and we'll decide which numbers are in the special and which are not. And that's whole numbers. We're not going to make piece-meal edits."

I can see them bowing to pressure and axing LTT :thumbsdown:

No way. This whole thing was created by NBC for publicity. It was all planned out to make an announcement, knowing they would get scorn from Catholic groups, and then to make another announcement later saying they are still undecided. It's just to get more publicity for the airing of the show...

Guest avidparty

eonline's bit:

AT A CROSSROADS: NBC still deciding whether it will permit Madonna to mock-crucify herself during a prime-time concert special in November. Um, NBC? Even protesters are going to tune in for that and you could kind of use the ratings.

Guest jamesshot

I am telling you, it will be cancelled. The world is way too sensitive about religion right now and NBC is dead last in ratings. If they feel advertisement pressure and think they will lose viewers( even IF the concert has high numbers), they will not allow LTT which will lead M to cancel the deal.

I am telling you, it will be cancelled. The world is way too sensitive about religion right now and NBC is dead last in ratings. If they feel advertisement pressure and think they will lose viewers( even IF the concert has high numbers), they will not allow LTT which will lead M to cancel the deal.

The sky is falling THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!11111!1one1111

Guest jamesshot
The sky is falling THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!11111!1one1111

Not really, just an opinion. I wont cry if it doesnt happen. I just dont think it will.

It will air. NBC wants the ratings. And after it airs, nobody will care.

All of the "family" (and I use that term lightly) organizations have failed at mobilizing lots of efforts lately. In the long run, I don't even think they would be able to get much of a protest going -- people just don't seem to care about it except for the leaders of these groups who are just using this as an attempt to raise more money from their members.

Guest Little Red
Didn't he say that Madonna feels the crucificion is a corner stone of the show and that they agreed it would be in?

I think it was more along the lines of "we didn't deem it offensive". Which doesn't mean they would definitely leave it in.

Bitch should just give NBC the finger, forbid em from airing the concert at all and still take the money cuz NBC broke the contract. She'd totally win in court. HBO and Showtime need to start showing concerts again.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

Whether it airs on NBC should be irrelevant to the DVD release. There is no IGTTYAS documentary to get in the way of a DVD this time around.

um i think it was cbs or abc who chose not to air madonna last boring concert.we are given madonna a bit more power than she deserve.the bitch dont run no damn tv network they would break her ass.

Yep, CBS was then and NBC is now. It's not like NBC doesn't know her conditions when they agreed to shell out top dollars to save it's ailing rating. If NBC didn't wanna air the whole thing like Madonna wanted, it can always air it on it's gay brother's channel: Bravo. Yes, there is such thing gayer than a peacock. :D

NY Daily News

Madge & NBC star-crossed?

The material girl may have a falling out with the Peacock network.

It seems that creative differences over a controversial crucifixion scene in Madonna's current tour could spell the end for NBC's long-planned special on her concert.

NBC programming officials are expected to ask Madonna's camp to cut the scene in which she's hung on a cross wearing a crown of thorns while singing "Live to Tell."

Madonna's camp is expected to reject the change and then pull the show from NBC completely.

A spokeswoman for Madonna said yesterday she would issue a statement, perhaps as early as today, about the special and the cross scene.

A network spokeswoman said yesterday, "NBC is awaiting delivery of the special. Once we see it in its entirety, we'll make a final decision."

Since Madonna's "Confessions" tour began, she has been slammed by church officials around the world for the scene, which has been labeled hostile to the Catholic Church. Madonna's representatives have said it's not disrespectful at all.

Word is the contract for the special, scheduled to air in November, has provisions so both sides can walk away from the deal if they fail to agree on what would or would not be broadcast.

Richard Huff

Originally published on September 21, 2006

Posted: Sep. 21 2006,16:23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/454537p-382431c.html

Madge & NBC star-crossed?

The material girl may have a falling out with the Peacock network.

It seems that creative differences over a controversial crucifixion scene in Madonna's current tour could spell the end for NBC's long-planned special on her concert.

NBC programming officials are expected to ask Madonna's camp to cut the scene in which she's hung on a cross wearing a crown of thorns while singing "Live to Tell."

Madonna's camp is expected to reject the change and then pull the show from NBC completely.

A spokeswoman for Madonna said yesterday she would issue a statement, perhaps as early as today, about the special and the cross scene.

A network spokeswoman said yesterday, "NBC is awaiting delivery of the special. Once we see it in its entirety, we'll make a final decision."

Since Madonna's "Confessions" tour began, she has been slammed by church officials around the world for the scene, which has been labeled hostile to the Catholic Church. Madonna's representatives have said it's not disrespectful at all.

Word is the contract for the special, scheduled to air in November, has provisions so both sides can walk away from the deal if they fail to agree on what would or would not be broadcast.

Richard Huf

Guest Topaz Scorpio

The cynic in me thinks that she set up both the CBS deal for the RIT and this one with NBC KNOWING they would have objections and the deal would collapse, allowing her to walk away with the cash.

Guest Joey's Hung Up On Madonna

OR MAYBE MADONNA'S ASS NEEDS TO GET OFF HER DAMN HIGH HORSE AND IN HER OWN WORDS LET IT WILL BE FUCKING CBS IS LOADED HER ASS WITH MONEY SHE NEEDS TO KEEP HER DAMN MOUTH SHUT FOR ONCE.

I agree with Madonna. That performance is one of the main events of the show so Madonna should pull the show if the network wimps out. This is what I love about her....she does not back down.