"Miles Away" USA Airplay/Sales/Billboard Charts Thread

mtzlplk

Guest HydroTrippin

Why not ?

It wouldn't make sense that any other song get the next single release.

Sorry but I don't buy into the idea that The Beat Goes On would be a hit single.

That's like saying Mother & Father would have been a hit on radio when AL was out.

Yeah, right.

Guest Bad Robot
Why not ?

It wouldn't make sense that any other song get the next single release.

Sorry but I don't buy into the idea that The Beat Goes On would be a hit single.

That's like saying Mother & Father would have been a hit on radio when AL was out.

Yeah, right.

Huh??? That makes no sense. There isn't even a shred of similarity between the two tracks.

Kanye West's name alone will get the song more attention than any other track on the album, at least in the US. The only other song that might get radio attention is Dance 2night just because of Justin being on it again.

Kanye doesn't guarantee hits when he's featuring on a song. Can we PLEASE debunk this myth like NOW??:

Twista- Slow Jamz 1

Dialated Peoples- This Way 78

Cam'ron- Down & Out 94

Brandy- Talk About Our Love 36

Slum Village- Selfish 55

Keyshia Cole- I Changed My Mind 71

Common- The Corner DIDN'T CHART

Jamie Foxx- Extravaganza DIDN'T CHART

Common- Go! 79

DJ Khaled- Grammy Family DIDN'T CHART

Pharrell- Number One 57

The Game- Wouldn't Get Far 64

Kid Sister- Pro Nails DIDN'T CHART

DJ Felli Fel- Finer Things DIDN'T CHART

Estelle- American Boy 16

Young Jeezy- Put On 24

And mind you a lot of these acts are "hot" rappers/R&B artists themselves and had Kanye on the track and still didn't muster up high chart positions. So if you consider making the Hot 100 AT ALL a "hit" for Madonna these days then YES maybe he would help her do that. But Top 10 or number 1 probably NOT!

Justin as a featured artist.....

Nelly- Work It 68

Black Eyed Peas- Where Is The Love? 8

Snoop Dogg- Signs 46

Timbaland- Give It To Me 1

50 Cent- Ayo Technology 5

Reba McEntire- The Only Promise That Remains DIDN'T CHART

Duran Duran- Falling Down DIDN'T CHART

Timbaland- Release 91

Madonna- 4 Minutes 3

Timbaland as a featured artist....

Aaliyah- Are You That Somebody 21

Destiny's Child- Get On The Bus DIDN'T CHART

Aaliyah- We Need A Resolution 59

Bubba Sparxxx- Ugly 15

Brandy- Who Is She 2 U 85

Nelly Furtado- Promiscuous 1

Justin Timberlake- SexyBack 1

Pussycat Dolls- Wait A Minute 28

Omarion- Ice Box 12

Bobby Valentino- Anonymous 49

50 Cent- Ayo Technology 5

Justin Timberlake- Chop Me Up DIDN'T CHART

Flo Rida- Elevator 16

Madonna- 4 Minutes 3

M. Pokora- Dangerous DIDN'T CHART

Keri Hilson- Return The Favor DIDN'T CHART

Duran Duran- Nite Runner DIDN'T CHART

Sebastian- Hey Lil Lady DIDN'T CHART

Duran Duran- Skin Divers DIDN'T CHART

Oh my!! Did Madonna give Timbaland the kiss of death?? lol

People are quick to say that without Timbo or Justin Madonna wouldn't have been as successful with her lead off single, which is probably true. But looking at the stats of other artists that had them featuring on their singles, only a handful have been more successful than 4 Minutes. So, it's quite clear they ALL helped each other out a bit.

Guest Bad Robot

Madonna is her own kiss of death for her singles in the US.

I never said Kanye or Justin GUARANTEES a hit, merely that their presence will undoubtedly get more attention for an M single.

If TBGO were single #3, I see a chance of it peaking in the 80s maybe. Same with maybe Dance 2night. Everything else? No chance at the Hot 100, unless there is some incredible pop friendly remix (by which I do not mean a club mix!), but that's incredibly unlikely.

A lead Madonna single can pretty much guarantee itself about 25m audience. Anything more is icing on the cake. Second single? Maybe 5m. The rest will only do worse.

7/31/2008 0.019M 5 spins

8/01/2008 0.019M 5 spins

8/03/2008 0.015M 5 spins

i'll close this after every update so as not to prolong too much drama... until Miles Away goes full swing, if that ever happens...

botoxic at Pulse:

WNKS Charlotte is already listing "Miles Away" as one of their Hot Picks of the Week at All Access. This is not a surprise - they were pushing the hardest for MA to be the 2nd single over GI2M. But at least Miles has one station that looks ready to support it strongly.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest presley

MA already sold 700k ww because of Japan mostly, without a video or proper single release. It's the obvious choice for 3rd singld then, cause of his success

• 4 weeks later...

I am a big fan of Miles Away and I believe it would do well in Europe/Asia/ South America. Even non-fans love this song. In the USA either Miles Away or Beat Goes On, many DJs /radio stations seem to be stuck with 'hip pop' songs. The won't play Madonna's songs anyway.

Edited by aramis

Guest superman

yeah, u wanna make a bet? Miles Away will be another flop. ITS SO 'LOVE PROFUSION' to me nothing is special or new about this song, so flat and dry.

MILES AWAY is LOVE PROFUSION - totally ignored, cant' be no.1 or even in the top 10 hits, i make a bet!!!

Give It 2 Me Didn't Work and I doubt "BGO" would have worked either.

At least Miles Away is a radio-friendly song and most stand-out. However, it is a matter of preferences.

Guest superman

At least Miles Away is a radio-friendly song and most stand-out. However, it is a matter of preferences.

BGO is much better than GI2M - BGO love the upbeat, rap, pop combined. Its sooo Madonna, vintage!! loved the intro sounds like yuletide song, cant wait to download in my ringtones. Dont forget Kanye W, on it.

I dont think DJ will play the song Miles Away, they prefer BGO and thats for sure!!

Its not as if BGO will hit the top 50 - the only Top 10 placing it or anyother HC track will be Bubbling Under.

BGO is much better than GI2M - BGO love the upbeat, rap, pop combined. Its sooo Madonna, vintage!! loved the intro sounds like yuletide song, cant wait to download in my ringtones. Dont forget Kanye W, on it.

I dont think DJ will play the song Miles Away, they prefer BGO and thats for sure!!

I can see why "Give It 2 Me" failed at radio. Radio is not currently playing upbeat dance tunes by 50 year old women. Would radio have played it if Britney or Rhianna had recorded it? We'll never know.

At this point in Madonna's career, the first single of any new album she puts out is going to get attention out of curiousity. Madonna has that going for her. On the other hand, when was the last time a follow up single (no matter how good a single) received decent airplay? I believe it was in 2000 with "Don't Tell Me". Her 'American Life' album, one of my personal favorites, never stood a chance in hell. Songs like "Love Profusion", "Easy Ride", "Nothing Fails" and "Intervention" proved Madonna was no longer just a song & dance act. Joni Mitchell can say what she wants but, I'd rather listen to Madonna's folk musings over Ms. Mitchell's any day. But I digress. My point is 'American Life' was a challenge to radio. Cut to, 'Confessions On A Dancefloor'. Also, NOT exactly a poster child for Top 40 airplay. The fact that "Hung Up" made the top 10 surprised me. Songs like "Get Together", "Future Lovers" & "Forbidden Love" are pure pop/trance ecstasy. Thank GOD Madonna hooked us up that year! "Sorry", while a great dance/pop song, was a poor choice for second single IF she was wanting a 'hit'. It was however a great 2nd single in keeping to the theme of the record. Radio be damned. A lot of people are so convinced that "Jump" would have been a surefire hit had it been the second single from COAD as it did get airplay. Now we have the same situation with "Beat Goes On", it's getting more airplay than the official 3rd single and fans convinced it would be a hit if IT was the next release. Would "Jump" and "Beat Goes On" have been hits had they been chosen as the 2nd singles? Again, we'll never know.

As for "Miles Away", in my opinion, the chances for it being a "hit"? Just because it was a hit in Japan means nothing to radio programmers here. In the last 6 months, WB could have released 3 singles to radio, 4 when you consider that "Give It 2 Me" went nowhere.

I wish "Miles Away" the best of luck. Maybe Adult Contemporary will take to it? However, it's certainly out of my hands and choose not to obsses over it. I'm just going to enjoy the magic of the music be thrilled by Sticky & Sweet Tour. Chart positions be damned. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah the Dance charts too....

If Jump was going to be played by Radio then they would have played it whatever order it was released in. Jump is one of my fave M songs ever and deep down I was hoping for a top 10 smash - who was nt? Would it have done any better if it was released as a second single? Its not as cheesey as Sorry is but still even back then she was a 48 yr old doing dance music .....so for her to have got past 6 million AI woud be a miracle....

if Madonna wants hits - all she has to do is pormote her songs on major tv shows that week and watch the digital sales shoot up. Radio wise....dont expect much

if Madonna wants hits - all she has to do is pormote her songs on major tv shows that week and watch the digital sales shoot up. Radio wise....dont expect much

I believe that If you want airplay you can have it. The american radio is now driven by the digital sales! Kind of.. I mean look at Viva la Vida. It was at no80 or something on the hot 100 airplay when it hit no1. And then top40 radio played it! A lot of songs.. Look at M.I.A! Crush by that american idol guy.

Seriously now, the radio wouldn't have touched Coldplay if it hadn't had massive sales due to strong promo..whatever that is.. A Tv show, an advertisement on i-tunes etc...

The latest example is I'm Yours by Jason Mraz... After soooo many months the song hit no6, If I remember, on the hot100 with no support from top40 radio.. And now even z100 added the song.

Hopely AC and Hot AC at least will play it decently. Ithink overall AI of about 5million at its peak would be fantastic. I'm not expecting this one to chart, would be nice if it spends a week or two in the Hot 100.

Well at least if MA gets a few spins at the radio it'll give a bit more exposure to the album. Plus, if they actually do create a video from life footage, it would be more exposure for the album.