"Miles Away" USA Airplay/Sales/Billboard Charts Thread

mtzlplk

Guest hotstickyandsweet

up to 100 spins!! Please can someone tell me what pop stations spun it 6 times?? I smell a moderate sleeper hit here. Look every day how much the spins are up.

hotsticky, you are somethin' else. :) Six spins at Pop is absolutely NOTHING. GI2M's peak at pop was nothing, and it had 350 or so at its peak (failing to crack the top 40 at the format).

Even if MA went for official play, it probaboy would be doing as well as NF did when it had its impact at radio.

Guest Joey's Hung Up On Madonna

I don't understand how people don't get that this song has not gone for official adds and has no marketing or promotion by Madonna on it at ALL. The song isnt going to be a hit for no reason. It'd take a God given miracle to make the song a hit as is.

That's more than understood, Joseph (least by me)- what I'm saying is, even if it had the radio date, etc., it wouldn't be getting much more airplay than it is. It's an unfortunate fact, but that's the way it is.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Even if the song did get adds it would be EXTREMELY difficult for it to be successful (like I said, it would take a God-given miracle). Now if Madonna took the oppurtunity when she's touring in LA or NYC to promote the album on a couple of shows and actually PERFORM "Miles Away", perhaps it would have a better chance. I do strongly believe had "Beat Goes" been the second single instead of GITM, and Madonna had taken the oppurtunity to promote it with Kanye West (at least by doing a cool music video) it would have been successful. But since that was not the scenario, there's no absolutely no way Madonna could have success with "Miles Away" without specifically promoting it here in the US. If this were 1998 it would be a slightly different story, but then again all of the singles in that era had great music videos (even "Drowned World" for God's sake).

"Beat" would have been limited in its success, too- it likely wouldn't have done as well as 4M, lucky if it got half the audience (that would be a big success for Madonna- like 27 million audience- but even then that very well could have been a challenge).

Madonna is 50- U.S. radio is not going to jump upand down to play her like it used to, especially for second singles and beyond, no matter what it is.

^ True

Thats why I think the only exposure is via video clips on MTV and other music channels, but I dont think we are gonna get any from HC which is a pity.... Most videos post 2000 have been pure shit anyway...

Yeah I agree that it wouldnt have been as big as 4 minutes, most artists' first single is the most successful as well. But let's remember that Madonna was FORTY in the ROL era, too, but that was a smash. i think with Madonna her album sales mostly are defined by the QUALITY of her work, as demonstrated with the incredible success of COADF after the disastrous flop that was AL. Her weapon is word of mouth, but she needs to realize that if she wants her albums to have continuous success after their initial releases, than she MUST perform in America at least a couple of times. What I think must be taken into considering that since "American Life" (ironically so, though no matter WHAT it would have never been successful over here) we haven't seen her do half-decent promotion here in America, which is a shame because COADF could have definitely been much nearer to 2 mil by now had things been different. I suspect that with HC she might not be doing promotion because she knows deep inside it is not her best work by far, but I could be COMPLETELY wrong.

I'll leave it at that because I must not be too negative; HC does have some truly stellar tracks on it, and most importantly I'm seeing Madge TONIGHT.

She's performed lots of times in America- on the S&S Tour. :)

As far as regular promo goes, she doesn't look to be into it all that much, at least on the scale of other acts.

COADF did better than AL, but its sales in the USA weren't all that incredible. Solid, but not spectacular.

S&S Tour already has been impacting HC- it's helped it to stay on the Billboard 200, even giving it an increase in some weeks.

I have to say though, could you really blame her for not promoting all that much? Why bust your ass to see a couple thousand extra CDs? It doesn't take much thought to see that touring is where it really is at on every level as a entertainer. She promotes her music from a visual standpoint, entertains millions of people in a personal way, everyone enjoys themselves, and she makes hundreds of millions of dollars. I think it's easy to see why she puts her energy into touring vs. promoting a record when no one is buying CDs.

The thing I blame her about is that she grosses millions and millions going on tour and she doesn't even spend 50.000/100.000 euros to make a decent/simple video for Miles Away. For example the video of The Power of goodbye was not expensive, but decent and it is one of my favourites.

Blame is a bit harsh, don't you think? I don't think it's a matter of her not wanting to spend the money. She does everything 100 percent and spends top dollar for that when it comes to her name and her work. Why do something half ass? Everyone would bitch if she put out another "get together" so why bother.

i dont think she has a good workethic to be honest - I believe both HC and COADF would have sold more had their been more continuous promotion.

She does nt do everything 100%. look at the fact that MA is going tobe her first release tomiss the top20 - whennearly all have gone top 10. We are looking at a peak of no38 if lucky - had it been top 30 one could stomach it. She has an unblemished chart record in the UK - if she had a work ethic she would fight to make sure her record was intact.

Blame is a bit harsh, don't you think? I don't think it's a matter of her not wanting to spend the money. She does everything 100 percent and spends top dollar for that when it comes to her name and her work. Why do something half ass? Everyone would bitch if she put out another "get together" so why bother.

i dont think she has a good workethic to be honest - I believe both HC and COADF would have sold more had their been more continuous promotion.

She does nt do everything 100%. look at the fact that MA is going tobe her first release tomiss the top20 - whennearly all have gone top 10. We are looking at a peak of no38 if lucky - had it been top 30 one could stomach it. She has an unblemished chart record in the UK - if she had a work ethic she would fight to make sure her record was intact.

What planet are you on? Do you NOT have a clue what it takes to put a spectacle like "Sticky & Sweet" on the road (never mind the rehearsals). Even on her days off she has gone out and peddled "I Am Because We Are", gone to charity events when she could be resting. This woman's LIFE is WORK. You may disagree with her priorities as far as what project she wants to focus on, but my point is the lady has a work ethic like no other.

good god!!!!! what an idiot!!!! in 25 years she may have 1 song miss the top 20. oh no, its the end of the world. also, anyone who thinks she doesnt have a good work ethic is an absolute retard!!!!!

I would bet everything I hold dear Madonna doesn't know or care about her UK chart record. She knows she's made half a billion dollars and is the most famous woman alive.

Guest superman

BREAKING NEWS!!

S&S TOUR THE TOP grossing tour EVER!!!

Sticky & Sweet Tour on pace to gross $282 Million!

Category: Live Performances & Tours.

Madonna Tour Grosses $91.5 Million In North America

November 26, 2008 - Touring

By Ray Waddell, Nashville

Madonna wraps the North American leg of her Sticky & Sweet tour tonight in front of 50,000 people at Dolphin Stadium in Miami.

The 28 dates in North America have grossed about $91.5 million and moved about 550,000 tickets, according to tour producer Arthur Fogel, chairman of global music for Live Nation.

Next up is Mexico City, beginning Nov. 29. Counting her European run, Madonna is currently at about $207.5 million in ticket sales and on a pace to hit about $282 million when Mexico/South America wraps. That would make Sticky & Sweet the top-grossing tour ever by a female artist or solo artist.

The tour wraps Dec. 18 - 21 in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Source: Billboard

Oh dear it really bugs me when uncultured people slate something they don't understand.

The 'Get Together' video is one of the most iconic, artistic vidoes she has done ever!

However on another note... Fxxk Madonna and her not giving a shit attitude towards her fans..

I am fed up with all her dull tours and music now - she needs to go away and hide for a few years - I think everyone is sick to death of her.