Hard Candy is 1xp in Europe

thebigham

• 1 month later...

2007 awards

IFPI Platinum Europe Awards - January 2007

Brits nominees highlighted in IFPI Platinum Awards

February 14, 2007

Arctic Monkeys and Snow Patrol, both prominent nominees for the Best Album and Best Group titles at this year’s Brit Awards, feature among the latest IFPI Platinum Award winners list. The awards are given to artists whose albums have sold more than one million copies in Europe.

Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not by the Arctic Monkeys has been nominated for Best Album at the Brits and picks up its first IFPI Platinum Award today. The four-piece band from Sheffield shook the music scene in 2006 with songs such as I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor and When The Sun Goes Down which both shot to the top of the singles charts. Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not has gone on to win a plethora of awards including the 2006 Mercury Prize and the band scooped Best British Breakthrough Act at the last year's Brit Awards.

Snow Patrol's Eyes Open, nominated for Best Album at the 2007 Brit Awards, gains its second Platinum Award as sales pass the two million mark. Originally from Northern Ireland, Snow Patrol were stalwarts of Scotland's indie rock scene in the late 1990s before finding mainstream success with their top five hit Run in 2003. Released in May 2006, Eyes Open went onto become the biggest selling album of last year in the UK. The band also picked up four awards earlier this month at the 2007 Irish Music Awards including Best Album, Best Band, Best Live Performance and Most Downloaded Song for Chasing Cars.

Norah Jones gains an IFPI Platinum Award for her third album Not Too Late, which sold more than a million copies across Europe within its first two weeks of release. Following the success of her previous two albums Come Away With Me and Feels Like Home, her latest offering set the record for the most pre-ordered album on Amazon.com over its 11 year history.

Sean Paul, the Jamaican reggae and dance hall artist, picks up the first IFPI Platinum Award for his third album The Trinity, the highly anticipated follow up to his Grammy-winning album Dutty Rock. His latest offering has been a top ten hit in countries across Europe such as the UK, France and Austria and features smash hit singles such as (When You Gonna) Give It Up To Me and We Be Burnin'.

Nirvana, the eponymous album from the rock band whose work shaped the rock music scene of the early 1990s, scoops its second IFPI Platinum Award. The album is the third from the band to be released following the death of singer/guitarist Kurt Cobain in 1994. It includes the previously unreleased You Know You're Right, a song recorded during the band's final studio session in January 1994, as well as a selection of the group's most popular songs from throughout their career.

U2 also pick up their second IFPI Platinum Award for their retrospective U218 Singles, which contains 16 of the bands best known songs as well as the new track Window in the Skies and a cover version of The Saints Are Coming in collaboration with Green Day. U218 Singles picked up its first Platinum Europe Award in December 2006 after selling more than one million copies within its first month of release and has proved to be a worldwide hit. The Irish group released their first album in 1980 and have gone on to become one of the world's biggest bands.

ARCTIC MONKEYS WHATEVER PEOPLE SAY I AM THAT'S WHAT I'M NOT DOMINO RECORDING 1

NORAH JONES NOT TOO LATE EMI 1

SEAN PAUL THE TRINITY WARNER MUSIC 1

NIRVANA NIRVANA UNIVERSAL 2

SNOW PATROL EYES OPEN UNIVERSAL 2

U2 U218 SINGLES UNIVERSAL 2

http://www.ifpi.org/content/section_news/p...h_20070214.html

• 1 month later...

I THOUGHT MADONNA GOT THE 60 MILLION SOLD TITLE IN 1994-95 IFPI AWARD?

don't complicate things VB dearest, BS already clarified it well so that's that...

• 10 months later...

ifpi.org

IFPI Platinum Europe Awards - Q4 2007

Beatles clock up ninth Platinum Award for 1

11 February, 2008

The Beatles have gone to the top of the European sales charts for the last decade, winning a ninth prestigious IFPI Platinum Europe Award for their greatest hits album 1. The awards have marked the sales of more than a million album copies across Europe since their launch in 1996.

13 albums gained IFPI Platinum Europe Award status for the first time in the last three months of the 2007. Artists as diverse as Andrea Bocelli and Timbaland, Charles Aznavour and Rihanna, had albums that crossed the million sales threshold.

Two albums gained IFPI Platinum Europe Award status in their first quarter of release - Katie Melua’s Pictures and Eros Ramazzotti’s E2. Rihanna was the only artist to pick up awards for two albums in the quarter as A Girl Like Me and Good Girl Gone Bad both notched up a million sales across Europe, with the latter collecting its third award of the year.

Other big sellers in the final quarter of 2007 were James Blunt, who picked up his sixth award for Back to Bedlam and Green Day whose American Idiot achieved its fourth award.

In 2007 as a whole, 57 albums received an IFPI Platinum Europe Award, compared with 46 albums in 2006. European acts accounted for 61 per cent of the awards, with US artists picking up 33 per cent of the awards.

While no albums have yet surpassed the nine IFPI Platinum Europe Awards achieved by 1, Canadian artist Celine Dion has matched the figure with nine awards respectively for Falling Into You and Let's Talk About Love.

ARTIST - ALBUM TITLE - AWARD LEVEL

ALEX UBAGO - "QUE PIDES TU?" - 1xp

ANDREA BOCELLI - "AMORE UNIVERSAL" - 1xp

AVRIL LAVIGNE - "THE BEST DAMN THING" - 1xp

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - "MAGIC" - 1xp

CHARLES AZNAVOUR - "20 CHANSONS D’OR" - 1xp

CHRISTOPHE MAE - "MON PARADIS" - 1xp

EAGLES - "LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN" - 1xp

EROS RAMAZZOTTI - "E2" - 1xp

KATIE MELUA - "PICTURES" - 1xp

MICHAEL BUBLE - "CALL ME IRRESPONSIBLE" - 1xp

RIHANNA - "A GIRL LIKE ME" - 1xp

THE CRANBERRIES - "STARS – THE BEST OF THE CRANBERRIES 1992-2002" - 1xp

TIMBALAND - "SHOCK VALUE" - 1xp

JACK JOHNSON - "IN BETWEEN DREAMS" - 2xp

MELANIE C - "NORTHERN STAR" - 2xp

OST - "8 MILE" - 2xp

AMY WINEHOUSE - "BACK TO BLACK" - 3xp

MIKA - "LIFE IN CARTOON MOTION" - 3xp

PINK FLOYD - "ECHOES – THE BEST OF PINK FLOYD" - 3xp

RIHANNA - "GOOD GIRL GONE BAD" - 3xp

GREEN DAY - "AMERICAN IDIOT" - 4xp

JAMES BLUNT - "BACK TO BEDLAM" - 6xp

THE BEATLES - "1" - 9xp

Rihanna Good girl gone bad 3xp ===> I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT AT ALL

That must be a typing mistake or something. It hasnt even sold 3 million worldwide, let alone 3 million in Europe before January.

Edited by franxisco66

• 2 months later...

ifpi

IFPI Platinum Europe Awards - Q1 2008

Eight albums scoop their first IFPI Platinum Award

April 2008

Eight albums have achieved their first IFPI Platinum Europe Award in the first quarter of 2008. The awards mark their achievement in selling more than a million copies across Europe.

Alicia Keys, the American R&B musician, saw her 2007 album As I Am pick up its first IFPI Platinum Europe Award. The album, containing the singles No One and Like You’ll Never See Me Again, topped the charts in Italy and sold well across Europe.

Singer-songwriter Amy Winehouse picked up an IFPI Platinum Europe Award for her debut album Frank, while also achieving her fifth award for her multiple Grammy award winning album Back to Black.

Canadian jazz pianist and singer Diana Krall bagged an Award for her album The Girl in the Other Room, which was co-written with her husband, Elvis Costello.

The late Gregory Lemarchal is awarded an IFPI Platinum Europe Award for his album La Voix d’un Ange, a posthumous album that was released after his death last year.

Veteran band James received an Award for The Best of James which contains a string of their popular hit singles.

Californian rockers Linkin Park picked up an IFPI Platinum Europe Award for their live album Linkin Park Live in Texas, which features music from sets played by the band in Houston and Dallas.

German veteran rock act Scorpions saw their Best album pick up its first IFPI Platinum Europe Award. The album contains their standards such as Winds of Change and Rock You Like A Hurricane.

Sheryl Crow saw her compilation album The Very Best Of achieve its first IFPI Platinum Europe Award. The album, which features hits such as Every Day Is A Winding Road and All I Wanna Do, has also sold more than three million copies in the US.

Take That achieved their third IFPI Platinum Europe Award for their comeback album Beautiful World. The British group’s first album in more than ten years has spawned successful singles such as Patience and Shine.

Irish rock legends U2 picked up their third IFPI Platinum Europe Award for The Best Of 1990-2000, their second greatest hits compilation album. The album included past hits such as Even Better Than The Real Thing as well as two new songs.

Singer-songwriter Norah Jones achieved her seventh IFPI Platinum Europe Award for her 2002 debut album Come Away With Me. The multiple Grammy award winning album, a combination of jazz, folk and soul, featured a number of successful singles including its title track and Don’t Know Why.

ARTIST ALBUM TITLE COMPANY AWARD LEVEL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALICIA KEYS AS I AM SONY BMG 1

AMY WINEHOUSE FRANK UNIVERSAL 1

DIANA KRALL THE GIRL IN THE OTHER ROOM UNIVERSAL 1

GREGORY LEMARCHAL LA VOIX D'UN ANGE UNIVERSAL 1

JAMES THE BEST OF JAMES UNIVERSAL 1

LINKIN PARK LINKIN PARK LIVE IN TEXAS WARNER 1

SCORPIONS BEST EMI 1

SHERYL CROW THE VERY BEST OF UNIVERSAL 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAKE THAT BEAUTIFUL WORLD UNIVERSAL 3

U2 THE BEST OF 1990-2000 UNIVERSAL 3

AMY WINEHOUSE BACK TO BLACK UNIVERSAL 5

NORAH JONES COME AWAY WITH ME EMI 7

i agree, rihanna could not have sold that much. it was successful in the german speaking countries but not 3 million...no.

It was HUGE in Portugal also... I know that in Spain and France she did also well... how much did she sell in UK? I guess she did well there too, no?

^ Even if she was huge in Portugal and Spain... that will be 150 000 max. She has no sold 3 million in Europe. Furtado's CD has been successful pretty much everywhere in Europe, selling over 1 million in Germany alone, and it is only 3 platinum, so I doubt that Rihanna is even 2x platinum (that was in December anyway)

It was HUGE in Portugal also... I know that in Spain and France she did also well... how much did she sell in UK? I guess she did well there too, no?

Let's consider the three biggest markets in the EU:

In France GGGB sold 150K, more or less (april 08).

In Germany she's 1xP (200K).

In Uk she sold 558K copies in 2007 and 195K in 2008 (end of april estimations at Haven). So 750K circa.

But, at the time of the EU certification, she was "only" 2xP (600K, february 2008).

So, the 3xP cert is probably a mistake.

As a comparison, COADF Vs GGGB in the three EU biggest markets:

UK --> 1.3M Vs. 750K

D --> 600K Vs 200K

F --> 800K Vs 150K

Total 2.7M Vs 1.1M

But IFPI: 4M Vs 3M

Let's consider the three biggest markets in the EU:

As a comparison, COADF Vs GGGB in the three EU biggest markets:

UK --> 1.3M Vs. 750K

D --> 600K Vs 200K

F --> 800K Vs 150K

Total 2.7M Vs 1.1M

But IFPI: 4M Vs 3M

Well you may be right but don't forget that 27 countries count for those (not sure if now there are more countries counting)... most are small countries but Italy, Spain and Poland are big markets too... either way Madonna should be getting a 5 Platinum Award for COADF soon...

Guest danielal

Yeah They should give COADF a 5 platinum award when HC hits its first platinum award

also new certifications in US for TIC etc

• 2 months later...

http://www.ifpi.org/content/section_news/p...h_20080717.html

In April, Madonna's Hard Candy hit the top spot in a remarkable 37 countries worldwide, going on to achieve a Platinum Europe Award. Her eleventh studio album reached gold or platinum status in 17 European countries, crossing the million sales threshold within weeks of release.

MADONNA HARD CANDY WARNER 1xp

I think it barely made it to the 1 million mark, unless Warner had overshipped (which is doubtful!)

UK - 300

Germany - 200

France - 200

Italy - 140

Netherlands - 60

Denmark - 30

Sweden - 30

Spain - 30

Switzerland - 30 > This is the 1.000.000 threshold.

Plus another 100 - 150K in other countries? Sniper might have more up-to-date info.

I think it barely made it to the 1 million mark, unless Warner had overshipped (which is doubtful!)

UK - 300

Germany - 200

France - 200

Italy - 140

Netherlands - 60

Denmark - 30

Sweden - 30

Spain - 30

Switzerland - 30 > This is the 1.000.000 threshold.

Plus another 100 - 150K in other countries? Sniper might have more up-to-date info.

Well... since Europe have more countries than that I am pretty sure it made the 1 million mark.

Guest bulgar
So negative!

Don't forget we still have the tour, the 3rd single and Christmas sales.

uhm.... no, maybe, and no.

her tours have never generated increase in sales and the CD will be dead by xmas.

it's really that simple.