The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

Guest Danny86
Madonna has had plenty of million selling albums in the UK - she is strong as a singles and albums artist. She was one of the few acts in the COADF era who managed to get all single releases into the top 10. Scissor sisters had a big lead single but the rest dived. i think even JT and Beyonce's final singlers probably missed the top 10.

COADF came with a good positive buzz - HC did not. COADF was released 5 years after her last commerical success. I have not bought the HC album and i would not even it it did the Kylie X £2 bargain bins. I just dont like the album. it reminds me of Nelly Furtado, Gwen Stefani, Fergie, Britney music - in fact I liked britney's last album and Piece of Me I prefer to any HC song except Miles Away maybe. the only other Madona album I disliked was BS. I love the flop that was American Life - some of the songs on it are true gems to me. many fans hate it because it under-performed (I wont call AL flop)

I do believe a significant amount of Madonna fans may have not bought the album because they did nt like it - i can put my hand up and say i am one of them. I know others who wont be buying it too. The album has alienated some fans - i doubt its attracted a new younger fanbase, sales speak otherwise.

I dont think Madonna has ever made the same kind of music - she has done vastly different styles of music - most of her dance songs are very distinct from one another. HC is a dance album with an urban flavour. i wish it would go past 600,000 in the UK but thats going to be a hard slog and wold need some good promo around XMAS time.

6 out of Madonna's 12 studio albums sold above 1 million, and only one of them reached 2 million, so I still say Madonna is not exactly an album act as say, Coldplay is.

The "4 singles in Top 10" argument is not exactly anything special as 90% of Madonna's singles went to the Top 10, her fanbase almost always ensures that. Of course with downloads, it's not going to happen anymore. COADF sold 900k in the back of "Hung Up" and Xmas sales, it's not like "Get Together" or "Jump" did anything for the album either. Still, you can't compare her singles performances to any of the artists you listed. It's just not the same.

As for alienating fans, well that happens with each album, no news there. Though I think it's disappointing that hardcore fans download and judge the record without buying it, I thought at least they keep the support.

Obviously it doesn't show in album sales (for reasons already stated), but "4 Minutes" definitely attracted a younger fanbase, who made the single sell 400k. You can't deny that. But if hardcore fans refuse to buy the CD, why blame the young iTunes generation if they cherry-pick the tracks?

COADF had the more positive buzz because of the "comeback" hype but there was no negative buzz for HC except on fan forums. As for not liking HC because it reminds you of all those singers, well that's your opinion, but I find it weird. Other than "Heartbeat" reminding me of Nelly Furtado, I never have any reminiscence of all those female singers while playing the album. I'm also not even sure why HC would alienate longtime fans, but oh well...

but warners did everything in their powers to make sure everyone in the western world knew there was a new madonna album out. the hype was there

Examples?

if a killer single such as gi2m cannot even make it to the top5, there's no reason to believe why any other album track can revive this album's fortunes.

:rolleyes:

You really can't get to grip with how things have changed in the download age, can you :electropop:

GI2M sold steadlily as an album only download for weeks, hit the top 10 the week it was out on physical, spent two weeks there and has thus far spent six weeks in the top 20; it also sent its parent album back into the top 10. That's a BONAFIDE HIT and has caught on beyond her core fanbase. American Life and Hollywood which both entered at number 2 and then PLUMMETED are fanbase only hits, with the loons buying on a week when there was little competition in terms of new releases. Furthermore, it's also on its way to outselling Sorry, a number 1 hit - COMPRENDE VOUS? :manson:

Examples?

:rolleyes:

You really can't get to grip with how things have changed in the download age, can you :electropop:

GI2M sold steadlily as an album only download for weeks, hit the top 10 the week it was out on physical, spent two weeks there and has thus far spent six weeks in the top 20; it also sent its parent album back into the top 10. That's a BONAFIDE HIT and has caught on beyond her core fanbase. American Life and Hollywood which both entered at number 2 and then PLUMMETED are fanbase only hits, with the loons buying on a week when there was little competition in terms of new releases. Furthermore, it's also on its way to outselling Sorry, a number 1 hit - COMPRENDE VOUS? :manson:

Agreed. I am personally not a big fan of GI2M but it IS a big hit in the UK. It sells steadily for weeks now and this is a big accomplishment.

Also, I returned recently in the US from Greece where I went to various vacation resorts, bars, clubs, etc. and GI2M was definitely the hit of the summer. They played it EVERYWHERE constantly and all the remixes. I'm sure this reflects the song's success in Europe in general. We shouldn't go by sales numbers and peak positions only because simply things have changed.

Agreed. I am personally not a big fan of GI2M but it IS a big hit in the UK. It sells steadily for weeks now and this is a big accomplishment.

Also, I returned recently in the US from Greece where I went to various vacation resorts, bars, clubs, etc. and GI2M was definitely the hit of the summer. They played it EVERYWHERE constantly and all the remixes. I'm sure this reflects the song's success in Europe in general. We shouldn't go by sales numbers and peak positions only because simply things have changed.

SENSE :thumbsup:

agree 100%

since now in Italy Give it to me didn't reaches nr 1 spot but is everywhere on the radio/disco/video/tv/reports and the album stay again in top five , this means success.

agree 100%

since now in Italy Give it to me didn't reaches nr 1 spot but is everywhere on the radio/disco/video/tv/reports and the album stay again in top five , this means success.

Funny thing is, UK radio failed to fully embrace it and those stations that did, soon dropped it. I guess this proves that radio play ain't everything in the UK - THANK GOD.

the chart as changed now - things are not as dropping as fast as they do normally bar mcfly and the flop by kylie. american life should have stayed in the top 10 for a few weeks as it was a lead single but hollywood was probably born to plummet.

whoknows how jump and gt would have performed in the digital age as fans would have reacted differently too.

6 of madonna's albums sold over a million - 3 more came close. she is definitely an album and a singles act. barring HC and AL - 3 of the last 5 have sold over a million. she might not be very consistent but only 3 of her albums in the UK failed to go double platinum - 1 of them HC still has a chance but looks like it might not.

Radio did embrace GITM it hit no8 on the airplay charts and spent 2 weeks in the top 10 - in fact this was equal to how the single performed on the sales charts - hitting no7 and 2 weeks in the top 10.

GITM did quite well - it was top 20 without a release and without high airplay.

I wish Miles Aaway is released ASAP - by Madonna's standards its normally released 4 months after the last single - HU was released in Nov, Sorry very late Feb, GT July, Jump early Nov. Had the last 3 been on the charts forever thatw ould be different but its better to release a single after 3 months.

Wednesday Update Top 40 Only

Singles (Top 39 Only)

01 Katy Perry

02 Kid Rock

03 The Script

04 The Verve

05 Dizzee Rascal feat. Calvin Harris & Chrome

Top 10

06 Rihanna

Madcon

Coldplay

Top 15

Ida Maria

Top 20

16 Bloc Party

Nelly feat. Akon & Ashanti

Top 30

Spoon Harris & Obernik

29 Little Jackie

Sara Bareilles

Top 40

32 Solange

Go Audio

Taio Cruz

==================================

Albums

01 The Script

02 ABBA

03 Noah & The Whale

04 Duffy

05 Coldplay

Top 10

Jane MacDonald

Top 20

The Levellers

Gabriella Cilmi

Top 30

Late Of The Pier

Top 40

Amy Winehouse - Frank

NO SALES INFORMATION

Guest FuckBuddy

er, no, give it 2 me is definitely not a flop but neither is a big hit in the uk. in the digital age, most singles that manage to crack the top10 manage to gather a few more weeks within the top20, and give it 2 me is no exception. it's falling down smoothly the way most top10 or even top20 hits do so nowadays. what people fail to notice is that the second single off a new madonna album actually FAILED to enter the itunes top10 even for a day or two. this means the demographic that casually buys madonna's music are caring shit about her recent sound. it was exciting when justin and timbaland's teenage fans were downloading 4minutes, but it's not as exciting anymore as they wouldn't give a flying fuck about actin samewise for the granny's solo follow up. try to look at it however u want, the fact is give it 2 me underperformed in the uk.

madonna has always been an albums artist. her success in the singles chart usually impacts sales of her albums. still, her chart performance since mid 90s has proven she can produce million selling albums without having to deliver a quartet of top5 hits. in the past decade her studio albums usually get close to a million units sold even before a second single marks its presence. the fact that her most recent lead single managed to sell 400k but still failed to push the album even close to platinum staus speaks volumes of her incapability to appeal to either her loyal fanbase or the ordinary pop/rnb audience.

as for your experience in greece, well madge could record a song of her constantly farting and it would still be a huge hit over here. greece is hardly a canon in judging whether a madonna single is successful or not.

Guest FuckBuddy
Read above, a so called pop-dance album would not have sold loads more than HC anyway (even though HC is quite pop and dance, but not COADF enough for your taste, you probably meant). And thanks but no thanks, I'd rather have Madonna try out different genres once in a while to get new fans instead of doing the same kind of music to her aging fanbase as if she was Kylie Minogue. Besides, "4 Minutes" is one of her biggest US & UK hits, she's definitely not "alarmed" about anything. Not to mention that when Madonna is going to have a $250 million gross with the tour, she won't care if HC is Platinum or 4x Platinum in the UK.

funny u say that, cause i'm all for madge trying different genres, but then playin it safe is rather a case of selling out than pushing certain creative buttons, now is it.

u know, tour revenue is fine and all, but she'll need to get people buying her albums in order for her to remain relevant and for them to consider buying her tour tickets. unless she's eager to evolve to the female equivalent to the rolling stones, that is, which is hardly a good plan, i must say.

Guys... common, so many singles can still come out... Tour is coming up... and it's just going to be the first Christmas for this album... don't expect it to sell in two or three months what other albums take 2 years to sell OK?

Record sales are already 17% lower than last year... and about 75% lower than in 2005! The Record Industry crise is REALLY HIGH. People are buying more singles again (in the form of downloads) and less albums. Don't expect this CD to sell as much as Confessions... and don't forget that 4 Minutes is heading to sell 2 million downloads in US already!!! Not sure how is it doing in UK right now as I've been a few weeks overloaded with work and out of Madonna numbers but it was doing pretty well too. Either "Miles Away", "The Beat Goes On" or "The Devil Wouldn't Recognize Me" could get to be huge hits and help the album to sell... though selling the songs seperatly is getting to be new form of selling music... again.

Be Happy with the Tour sales and Christmas sales that will surely come soon. Be Happy with the 2 TOP 10 Hit's this album already generated and hope it can get more TOP 10 Hits soon ;)

Guys... common, so many singles can still come out... Tour is coming up... and it's just going to be the first Christmas for this album... don't expect it to sell in two or three months what other albums take 2 years to sell OK?

Record sales are already 17% lower than last year... and about 75% lower than in 2005! The Record Industry crise is REALLY HIGH. People are buying more singles again (in the form of downloads) and less albums. Don't expect this CD to sell as much as Confessions... and don't forget that 4 Minutes is heading to sell 2 million downloads in US already!!! Not sure how is it doing in UK right now as I've been a few weeks overloaded with work and out of Madonna numbers but it was doing pretty well too. Either "Miles Away", "The Beat Goes On" or "The Devil Wouldn't Recognize Me" could get to be huge hits and help the album to sell... though selling the songs seperatly is getting to be new form of selling music... again.

Be Happy with the Tour sales and Christmas sales that will surely come soon. Be Happy with the 2 TOP 10 Hit's this album already generated and hope it can get more TOP 10 Hits soon ;)

Are you sure of that? I really doubt it. Sales are dropping about 10-15% a year. If it is true, I am shocked.

BBC 2 are showing Return To The Cruise on Wednesdays and Fridays. Its flashbacks and an update on the show that made Jane MacDonald *famous*

:chuckle:

I caught her doing paper review on the Wright Stuff this morning - they gave her The Times and asked her to report on a story about the Bush criticising Russia - she got all flustered and said "Oh I don't know what's going on!" :lmao:

er, no, give it 2 me is definitely not a flop but neither is a big hit in the uk. in the digital age, most singles that manage to crack the top10 manage to gather a few more weeks within the top20, and give it 2 me is no exception. it's falling down smoothly the way most top10 or even top20 hits do so nowadays. what people fail to notice is that the second single off a new madonna album actually FAILED to enter the itunes top10 even for a day or two. this means the demographic that casually buys madonna's music are caring shit about her recent sound. it was exciting when justin and timbaland's teenage fans were downloading 4minutes, but it's not as exciting anymore as they wouldn't give a flying fuck about actin samewise for the granny's solo follow up. try to look at it however u want, the fact is give it 2 me underperformed in the uk.

madonna has always been an albums artist. her success in the singles chart usually impacts sales of her albums. still, her chart performance since mid 90s has proven she can produce million selling albums without having to deliver a quartet of top5 hits. in the past decade her studio albums usually get close to a million units sold even before a second single marks its presence. the fact that her most recent lead single managed to sell 400k but still failed to push the album even close to platinum staus speaks volumes of her incapability to appeal to either her loyal fanbase or the ordinary pop/rnb audience.

as for your experience in greece, well madge could record a song of her constantly farting and it would still be a huge hit over here. greece is hardly a canon in judging whether a madonna single is successful or not.

:megamanson:

Wouldn't be quite so if this loon wasn't defending Kylie's MEGAFLOPS saying they'd done well :lmao:

I caught her doing paper review on the Wright Stuff this morning - they gave her The Times and asked her to report on a story about the Bush criticising Russia - she got all flustered and said "Oh I don't know what's going on!" :lmao:

:lmao:

hard candy is back up to 65 and 67 on itunes and the immaculate collection has been popping in and out the lower reaches all week. wonder how many copies a top 10 itunes album sells compared to a top 20 or 40 etc?

You're over analyzing. There is not enough data from the digital era to make this kind of interpretations and the fact that it "failed" to reach the iTunes Top 10 doesn't mean much about the song's overall success. I think it is a big hit in Europe but it's not a massive hit because, simply, as a song it's not all that. IMO, Hard Candy's success or failure (depends how you see it) is a reflection of its quality as a record - not Madonna's popularity and ability to sell records.

Regarding my experience in Greece, maybe you're right. I got too carried away by the fact that the song was everywhere there compared to the monumental flop it is in the US. But it was really EVERYWHERE. At some point I said ENOUGH ALREADY!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

This is the latest estimate on GI2M, as per UK-Mix. It's around 4K higher than my estimate:

YTD Singles

57 Madonna - Give It 2 Me - 93775

Should crack 100K this Sunday.

UK Charts - Aug 17

Singles

20 (17). Give it 2 Me – Madonna (12)

Chart run: 73-X-60-36-25-25-18-17-7-10-13-17-20

1. (1) I KISSED A GIRL (Katy Perry) 3 wks

2. (2) ALL SUMMER LONG (Kid Rock) 7 wks

3. (4) THE MAN WHO CAN’T BE MOVED (Script) 4 wks

4. (5) LOVE IS NOISE (Verve) 2 wks

5. (3) DANCE WIV ME (Dizzee Rascal feat Calvin Harris & Chrome) 7 wks

6. (9) DISTURBIA (Rihanna) 6 wks

7. (NEW) BEGGIN’ (Madcon) 1 wk

8. (6) NO AIR (Jordin Sparks feat Chris Brown) 12 wks

9. (7) 5 YEARS TIME (Noah & The Whale) 5 wks

10. (14) VIVA LA VIDA (Coldplay) 9 wks

11. (8) CLOSER (Ne-Yo) 15 wks

12. (10) ALL I EVER WANTED (Basshunter) 7 wks

13. (15) I LIKE YOU SO MUCH BETTER WHEN YOU’RE NAKED (Ida Maria) 4 wks

14. (11) SHUT UP AND LET ME GO (Ting Tings) 13 wks

15. (12) STAY WITH ME (Ironik) 8 wks

16. (NEW) MERCURY (Bloc Party) 1 wk

17. (23) BODY ON ME (Nelly feat Akon & Ashanti) 3 wks

18. (16) SWEET ABOUT ME (Gabriella Cilmi) 24 wks

19. (13) IF THIS IS LOVE (Saturdays) 3 wks

20. (17) GIVE IT 2 ME (Madonna) 12 wks

21. (19) FOREVER (Chris Brown) 12 wks

22. (18) TAKE A BOW (Rihanna) 14 wks

23. (21) BLACK & GOLD (Sam Sparro) 22 wks

24. (20) THAT'S NOT MY NAME (Ting Tings) 14 wks

25. (24) WARWICK AVENUE (Duffy) 17 wks

26. (NEW) THE WORLD SHOULD REVOLVE AROUND ME (Little Jackie) 1 wk

27. (NEW) I DECIDED (Solange) 1 wk

28. (NEW) SPIRALLING (Keane) 1 wk

29. (34) BADITUDE (Spoon Harris & Obernik) 2 wks

30. (22) HOMETOWN GLORY (Adele) 14 wks

31. (27) ROCKSTAR (Nickelback) 44 wks

32. (44) SHE’S LIKE A STAR (Taio Cruz) 2 wks

33. (55) WE CRY (Script) 8 wks

34. (28) BECAUSE THE NIGHT (Cascada) 3 wks

35. (31) LOVE SONG (Sara Bareilles) 16 wks

36. (26) WE MADE IT (Busta Rhymes feat Linkin Park) 9 wks

37. (25) DISCOLIGHTS (Ultrabeat vs Darren Styles) 6 wks

38. (30) MOVING MOUNTAINS (Usher) 8 wks

39. (29) PHOTOGRAPH (Nickelback) 14 wks

40. (33) LOW (Flo Rida feat T-Pain) 28 wks

41. (NEW) SHE LEFT ME (Go:Audio) 1 wk

46. (39) 4 MINUTES (Madonna feat Justin Timberlake & Timbaland) 22 wks

48. (NEW)(84) IN THE AYER (Flo Rida feat Will i am) 1 wk

49. (70) BOYFRIEND (Alphabeat) 2 wks

51. (58) KISS WITH A FIST (Florence And The Machine) 2 wks

62. (RE)(89) RHYTHM IS A DANCER (Snap!) 28 wks

63. (64) BITTER SWEET SYMPHONY (Verve) 17 wks

66. (NEW)(80) SEXY CAN I (Ray J feat Yung Berg) 1 wk

69. (RE)(76) PSYCHOSOCIAL (Slipknot) 3 wks

70. (NEW)(95) HERO (Nas feat Keri Hilson) 1 wk

76. (141) SEE YOU AGAIN (Miley Cyrus)

78. (NEW) THE PERFECT BOY (Cure)

80. (126) STEPPING STONE (Duffy)

85. (83) THE ONE (Kylie Minogue)

91. (159) SAVE THE LIES (Gabriella Cilmi)

93. (NEW) BUST IT BABY PT 2 (Plies feat Ne-Yo)

Albums

1. (NEW) THE SCRIPT (Script) 1 wk

2. (1) GOLD – GREATEST HITS (Abba) 367 wks

3. (2) ROCKFERRY (Duffy) 24 wks

4. (3) VIVA LA VIDA OR DEATH AND ALL HIS FRIENDS (Coldplay) 10 wks

5. (NEW) PEACEFUL THE WORLD LAYS ME DOWN (Noah And The Whale) 1 wk

6. (4) ROCK N ROLL JESUS (Kid Rock) 3 wks

7. (NEW) JANE (Jane MacDonald) 1 wk

8. (5) MELODY (Sharleen Spiteri) 5 wks

9. (6) WE STARTED NOTHING (Ting Tings) 13 wks

10. (9) GOOD GIRL GONE BAD (Rihanna) 63 wks

11. (10) ALL THE RIGHT REASONS (Nickelback) 37 wks

12. (7) NOW YOU'RE GONE - THE ALBUM (Basshunter) 5 wks

13. (8) I BELIEVE – THE VERY BEST OF (Bachelors) 4 wks

14. (11) PIANO MAN - THE VERY BEST OF (Billy Joel) 25 wks

15. (13) SCOUTING FOR GIRLS (Scouting For Girls) 48 wks

16. (12) EXCLUSIVE – FOREVER EDITION (Chris Brown) 22 wks

17. (15) BACK TO BLACK [DELUXE EDITION] (Amy Winehouse) 41 wks

18. (16) MAMMA MIA (Original Cast Recording) 9 wks

19. (22) LESSONS TO BE LEARNED (Gabriella Cilmi) 20 wks

20. (14) JUMPING ALL OVER THE WORLD (Scooter) 15 wks

21. (17) 19 (Adele) 28 wks

22. (19) JORDIN SPARKS (Jordin Sparks) 6 wks

23. (18) HARD CANDY (Madonna) 16 wks

24. (NEW) LETTERS FROM THE UNDERGROUND (Levellers) 1 wk

25. (20) SKYDIVIN' (Darren Styles) 9 wks

26. (23) THE BEST OF (Neil Diamond) 23 wks

27. (25) CALL ME IRRESPONSIBLE – SPECIAL EDITION (Michael Buble) 44 wks

28. (NEW) FANTASY BLACK CHANNEL (Late Of The Pier) 1 wk

29. (44) FRANK (Amy Winehouse) 106 wks

30. (24) IN SILICO (Pendulum) 14 wks

31. (27) ORACULAR SPECTACULAR (MGMT) 17 wks

32. (26) HOME BEFORE DARK (Neil Diamond) 13 wks

33. (31) HERE I STAND (Usher) 12 wks

34. (28) VAMPIRE WEEKEND (Vampire Weekend) 23 wks

35. (29) HOLD YOUR COLOUR (Pendulum) 17 wks

36. (41) BECAUSE OF THE TIMES (Kings Of Leon) 40 wks

37. (34) KONK (Kooks) 18 wks

38. (39) RAISING SAND (Robert Plant & Alison Krauss) 42 wks

39. (36) LEGEND (Bob Marley & The Wailers)

40. (32) 22 DREAMS (Paul Weller) 11 wks

Airplay

01 01 Coldplay Viva La Vida

02 03 The Script The Man Who Can't Be Moved

03 02 Noah & The Whale 5 Years Time

04 04 Kid Rock All Summer Long

05 06 Jordin Sparks feat. Chris Brown No Air

06 09 Katy Perry I Kissed A Girl

07 11 Scouting For Girls It's Not About You

08 19 Verve Love Is Noise

09 07 Dizzee Rascal feat Calvin Harris & Chrome Dance Wiv Me

10 05 Ne-Yo Closer

11 14 Gabriella Cilmi Save The Lies (Good To Me)

12 12 Gabriella Cilmi Sweet About Me

13 08 Ting Tings Shut Up And Let Me Go

14 15 Eric Prydz Pjanoo

15 25 Madcon Beggin’

16 20 Sharleen Spiteri All The Times I Cried

17 22 Will Young Changes

18 30 Mariah Carey I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time

19 27 Little Jackie The World Should Revolve Around Me

20 23 Ida Maria I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked

21 17 Sam Sparro Black & Gold

22 13 Adele Hometown Glory

23 42 Spoon Harris & Obernik Baditude